Please login or register

Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Consumption of Food and Goods
posted 09-23-01 00:01 ET (US)   
It is necessary to produce food and goods so that you can sell them for a profit, build monuments, provide burial goods, equip the military and fulfill requests. Several structures require goods to function. Houses also consume food and goods. This post is about the consumption of food and goods by structures and houses.

Most of the information in this post has been around for a long time. Some of it is very recent knowledge. The main sources of information for this post are the threads Papyrus consumption with Thoth’s oracle, Preferred order of foodstuff and People in Pharaoh eat half as much food as in Caesar III. The purpose of this post is to gather all of this information together in one place.

This thread is all about consumption of food and goods. For information on production of food and goods, I would recommend the threads Musings on Production and Walker Speeds and Farm production rates.

The information contained in this post is a collaboration between several forum members. The major contributors were Brugle, Nero Would, Vriesea, homegrown, Baltic and myself.

As is customary, I will continue this post in Reply #1.

Vaia

Replies:
posted 09-23-01 00:06 ET (US)     1 / 18  
Consumption of Goods by Structures
Good Consumed Consumer of Good Stockpile (6) Per Trip (1) Per Month (2) Per Year (3)
VH H N E VE VH H N E VE VH H N E VE
Papyrus Scribe School 300 40 20 10 5 2 30 15 8 4 2 360 180 90 45 18
40 20 10 5 2 480 240 120 60 24
Papyrus Scribe School with Oracle of Thoth (4) 300 36 14 6 3 0 27 11 5 2 0 324 126 54 27 0
36 14 6 3 0 432 168 72 36 0
Papyrus Library 500 60 40 20 10 5 45 30 15 8 4 540 360 180 90 45
60 40 20 10 5 720 480 240 120 60
Papyrus Library with Oracle of Thoth (4) 500 54 28 12 6 0 41 21 9 5 0 486 252 108 54 0
54 28 12 6 0 648 336 144 72 0
Linen Mortuary 500 60 40 20 10 5 45 30 15 8 4 540 360 180 90 45
Linen Mortuary with Altar of Anubis (5) 500 54 28 12 6 0 41 21 9 5 0 486 252 108 54 0
54 28 12 6 0 648 336 144 72 0
Beer Senet House 300 60 40 20 10 5 45 30 15 8 4 540 360 180 90 45
Straw Zoo 200 60 40 20 20 20 45 30 15 15 15 540 360 180 180 180
60 40 20 20 20 720 480 240 240 240
Game Meat Zoo 200 60 40 20 20 20 45 30 15 15 15 540 360 180 180 180
60 40 20 20 20 720 480 240 240 240
(1) Every time a walker is generated, this amount of goods is consumed by the structure. A structure must be stocked with as least this minimum amount of goods for a walker to be generated.
(2) The numbers in this column represent the amount of goods consumed by a structure per month assuming a specific number of trips per year. The upper number (left justified) is based on an average of 9 trips per year. The lower number (right justified) is based on an average of 12 trips per year.
(3) The numbers in this column represent the amount of goods consumed by a structure per year assuming a specific number of trips per year. The upper number (left justified) is based on an average of 9 trips per year. The lower number (right justified) is based on an average of 12 trips per year.
(4) The amount of papyrus consumed by this structure is reduced if you add the Oracle of Troth to Path’s Temple Complex.
(5) The amount of linen consumed by this structure is reduced if you add the Altar of Anubis to Seth’s Temple Complex.
(6) The numbers in this column represent the maximum number of goods that a fully stocked structure can hold.

Trips per Year.

The number of walkers that will be generated in a year by a structure that consumes goods will vary. First, a structure must have the minimum amount of goods required to generate a walker. The second variable is the length of trip that the walker takes. Assuming a fairly constant supply of goods and standard sized housing blocks, 9 trips per year is a reasonable number for planning purposes. If you prefer to plan on the “safe side”, then 12 trips per year is the number that you should probably use.

With extreme micromanagement, by controlling delivery of goods to the structures, you should be able to minimize the number of walkers that will be generated and greatly reduce the number of goods required. The numbers listed in the “Per Month” and “Per Year” columns are estimates based on extensive testing and game play.

Consumption of Goods by Houses

Certain levels of housing require a supply of goods to evolve. Once evolved, a stock of these goods must be maintained. A list of the goods required to evolve and maintain each level of housing can be found in my Pharaoh / Cleopatra Housing Chart.

The rate at which goods are consumed by 1x1 houses is 1 unit per month per house (12 units per year). The rate at which goods are consumed by 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4 houses is 2 units per month per house (24 units per year). This is the same for all housing levels that require goods, no matter what the population of the house is.

Consumption of Food by Houses

All of the people living in your city, except for those living in Huts, consume food at the rate of .25 (1/4) units per month per person (3 units per year). Building a Temple Complex to Bast, or adding an Altar to Sebek to the Temple Complex to Osiris, reduces food consumption by 20%. With a Temple Complex to Bast, or Altar to Sebek, the rate of food consumption is .20 (1/5) units per month per person (2.4 units per year).

If a housing level requires 2 or 3 types of food, the total rate of consumption is the same. A Spacious Residence with 80 occupants consumes a total of 20 units of food each month (without a Temple Complex to Bast or Altar to Sebek). 10 units will be one type of food and 10 units will be the second type of food.

The citizens of Pharaoh have a preference in the food types that they eat. They are, in order:

Grain
Meat
Lettuce
Chickpeas
Pomegranates
Figs
Fish
Game Meat

If a type of housing only requires one type of food, the residents in that housing will only eat the most preferred type of food until it is depleted. This is true no matter how many types of food the house contains. Once the most preferred food is entirely consumed, the residents will start eating the second most preferred food. It doesn’t matter which food was consumed or delivered first.

If two types of food are required for a level of housing, the residents will only eat the two that are most preferred, no matter how many food types are available. They will consume the two types of food at an equal rate. The same is true for Palatial Estates, where three types of food are required. Even if there are four food types available, only the three most preferred will be eaten. These three types of food will be consumed at the same rate.

Example: You have a Palatial Estate full to capacity with 200 occupants and 1200 units each of grain, lettuce, figs and fish. If you check the Palatial Estate one month later, you will find that it now contains 1184 units of grain, lettuce and figs. It still has 1200 units of fish. Fish is the least preferred food type of the four, so it will not be eaten until the house runs out of one of the other three. How the game arrived at this number is as follows:

200 occupants x .25 units of food per month x 1 month / 3 different food types.
200 x .25 x 1 / 3 = 16.67, which the game rounds down to 16. 1200 – 16 = 1184.

If you do have a Temple Complex to Bast, or Altar to Sebek, in you city, then the formula would be:

200 x .20 x 1 / 3 = 13.33, which the game rounds down to 13.

Storage Capacity of Foods and Goods in Houses

The maximum storage capacity of food in houses is 6 units per person of each food type available. At the standard rate of consumption (without a Temple Complex to Bast or Altar to Sebek), this equates to a 2-Year supply with one food type available. A house can store up to four different types of food. If a house has a maximum stock of two types of food, it holds a 4-Year supply. A maximum stock of three types of food is a 6-Year supply, and four types of food provide an 8-Year stockpile of food. With a Temple Complex to Bast or Altar to Sebek, one type of food = 2 ˝ years, two types = 5 years, three types = 7 ˝ years and 4 types = 10 years of stockpiled food.

The maximum storage capacity is 2 units of each type of good for 1x1 housing. For all other types of housing (2x2, 3x3 and 4x4) the maximum storage is 8 units of each type of good. A 1x1 house can hold 2 months supply of goods. 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4 houses can hold up to a four-month supply.

Vaia

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 10-20-2001 @ 05:10 PM).]

posted 09-23-01 01:59 ET (US)     2 / 18  
Hello all!

VitruviusAIA,
Congratulations!
As always, wonderful!
Great, great work, very nicely done... That's why I think you should be a Cherub or an Angel!
Without you, these forums wouldn't be the same!

Bye,
Ben The Vizier

posted 09-23-01 12:53 ET (US)     3 / 18  
Great job Vaia! If you're looking for more work, you might consider adding the maximum amount of food and goods stored by the houses and buildings. I remember a thread of Brugle's Another reason to prefer 2x2 homesteads and apartments that has some relevent information.
posted 09-23-01 18:24 ET (US)     4 / 18  
I’ve done a little (a lot actually) research and testing, and I am currently editing Reply #1 to include the following information:

Information on the storage capacity of Scribe Schools, Libraries, Mortuaries, Senet Houses and Zoos. (This information is from tests than I ran. I believe the numbers are accurate, but I have no support for this information other than my tests.) This information will be added to the Table in Reply #1.

The Storage Capacity of Foods and Goods in Houses will be a new heading.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 10-02-2001 @ 00:19 AM).]

posted 09-23-01 19:03 ET (US)     5 / 18  
Nice summary, VitruviusAIA.

You may also want to mention that Sobek's altar apparently has the same consumption reduction as Bast's temple complex on houses passed by a priest of Osiris. I only checked this for a few cases (and I don't remember what they were--it was a while ago) so confirmation would be welcome.

posted 09-23-01 19:31 ET (US)     6 / 18  
Thank you Brugle, Nero Would and Ben The Vizier for you comments.

I have finished my latest update (outlined in Reply #4) and will definitely check out the effects of Sebek’s Altar. The game manual states:

”Sebek grants priests of Osiris the power to stretch the city’s supplies of food and goods. As priests of Osiris walk through your city, the people in the houses they pass are suddenly satisfied with less.”

I would assume from this description, that only the houses passed by a priest from Osiris’s Temple are affected, but this should be verified. Also need to test that the reduction in food consumption is the same (20%).

I’ll be back!

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 10-02-2001 @ 00:20 AM).]

posted 09-30-01 15:43 ET (US)     7 / 18  
I have finished the final test necessary to complete this post. It took me several days because the results were not what I expected, and I needed the additional time to verify the results. Also, there was an error in the previous post that needed to be corrected.

The Error: It has been posted several times in these forums that all houses consume goods at the rate of 2 units per month. And, a Temple Complex to Bast will reduce the consumption of goods in 1x1 houses to only 1 unit per month.

My recent testing has shown this not to be true. 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4 houses consume goods at the rate of 2 units per month. 1x1 houses consume goods at the rate of 1 unit per month. This is true with or without a Temple Complex to Bast. A 1x1 house will consume twice (not 4 times) as many goods per citizen as a 2x2 house of the same type because it will only accommodate 1/4 of the population.

Temple Complex to Osiris with an Altar to Sebek: This combination has the same result as building a Temple Complex to Bast. Food consumed is reduced from .25 (1/4) units per month per person to .20 (1/5) units per month per person. Printed material in the game manual would lead you to believe that to receive this benefit, a Priest from Osiris’ Temple must pass by the house. This is not true. After you build the Altar to Sebek, the benefit is citywide. Coverage by a Priest, any Priest, is not required.

I have corrected the post in Reply #1.

Vaia

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 09-19-2008 @ 12:57 PM).]

posted 10-01-01 00:32 ET (US)     8 / 18  
I just think it's incredible that after two years we are still learning more about this game every day. Great work Vaia. That's two things I learned from just this thread.

A Tale in the Desert
Flogging will continue until morale improves.
posted 10-01-01 04:26 ET (US)     9 / 18  
Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!
posted 10-01-01 05:10 ET (US)     10 / 18  
VitruviusAIA:

Excellent information on a subject that needs clarification.

Couple of things I brought away from your article.

1) That you do not need priest to pass in front of housing to take advantage of blessing (It is citywide).

2) Amount of storage capability and consumption of goods for structures.

3) The order food is consumed.

I have always been interested in the amount of food storage in each house and why it took the bazaar ladies so long to distribute food in a housing block. Or simply, the rate at which houses evolve early on during the game.

The numbers quite clear that up.

Bazaar ladies will fill a house to max capacity (population x 6 units) no matter how much food is in the house. This means that a house waits for preceding houses to fill to max capacity even if the preceding house has a food supply that could last for a year or more. This waiting time in the initial stages of the game is what has been termed as "Filling the Pipeline" in previous forums.

This time is even more noticeable in the early stages of the game since goods and services are easily obtainable thus rapidly increasing housing population and increasing the amount of food required at each house to reach max capacity.

The best way around this "Filling the Pipeline" that I have found is to place several(3)markets in the housing block close to the food source. Of course the negative to this is more food will initially need to be produced. But as the game proceeds the housing block will reach equilibrium and the same amount of food required by its residents will be independent of the number of bazaars in the block. It is a practice I use often but one I think may be debatable.

As an aside, the other day I was using the "Search" feature in Pharaoh. I wanted to get a refresher on important game concepts. I typed in your name "VitruviusAIA" and was provided an extensive list of important topics. Quite a compliment on a job well done.

Good gaming,
Vriesea
(Nigeria)

posted 10-01-01 14:08 ET (US)     11 / 18  
VitruviusAIA,
Thanks for rechecking the numbers. I am very embarassed--I thought I had checked the 1x1 consumption figures, but apparently not. You are the master for compiling accurate data.

All,
I apologize for being so careless. I'll edit my erroneous thread.

posted 10-01-01 23:10 ET (US)     12 / 18  
You are all too kind with your comments. I cannot emphasize enough that my posts are not the result of my insight, observations and testing alone. Most of the information in my posts is the work of others. What skill I have is limited to organizing all of this information into one comprehensive thread. Occasionally, I accidentally stumble onto something new.

Vaia

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 10-02-2001 @ 10:39 PM).]

posted 10-02-01 07:55 ET (US)     13 / 18  
Vaia: I had always thought that bazaar sellers distributed goods only to houses that currently consume them, or need them to evolve to the next level. In other words, pottery would go to ordinary cottages (even if they don't have the other requirements to evolve to homestead), homesteads and above, but not to rough cottages and below. Are you saying they goods are distributed to literally all houses? (I'm not anywhere where I can check at the moment).
posted 10-02-01 11:32 ET (US)     14 / 18  
VAIA, excellent work! I've printed out a couple of copies already!
posted 10-02-01 16:09 ET (US)     15 / 18  
VitruviusAIA:

I like Nero Would also thought goods were only distributed to houses that required them. This brings up another question.

Will the bazaar lady buy goods even if the block she covers does not require the goods?

Need to get to the game and give it a try.

Good gaming,
Vriesea

posted 10-02-01 23:14 ET (US)     16 / 18  
Vriesea, Nero Would,

I could not have been more wrong in my last post. Both of you are correct, and I edited my last post, and Reply #1, to remove the misinformation.

The comment came from my review of the pages of information that I had collected from my tests. On my information sheets, I observed several low level houses with stocks of linen and luxury goods. This information led me to the conclusions of my last post. I was constantly changing settings during my tests, and what I didn’t realize was that I was observing housing that had devolved, and had retained the goods that they had accumulated.

So, the bottom line is, I made a mistake. It’s easy to do with all of the variables that exist in this most wonderful game. Thank you Vriesea and Nero Would for following this thread and noticing my error.

Nero Would, I guess that makes us even.

Vriesea, I owe you one.

Brugle, although you didn’t comment on my most recent error, I figure that I still owe you about 23.

Vaia

posted 01-05-02 10:35 ET (US)     17 / 18  
One correction:

You state that 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4 housing can hold up to a max of 8 items per good.

However, I have seen 3x3 housing with 16 Luxury goods and 8 of everything else. I assume this reflects the fact that you need two types of Luxury Goods to evolve to Estates.

posted 01-05-02 12:42 ET (US)     18 / 18  
Afterburner,
Yes, stately manors (but not other manors) will stock 16 luxury goods each (an 8-month supply).
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Consumption of Food and Goods
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames