Please login or register

Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: pyramid speedup
posted 03-22-02 11:59 ET (US)   
This is actually not a question but rather a very long remark. I have been doing some research in optimisation of pyramid building, and found some test results that are not all common knowledge, at least not to me. I am not a regular contributor to this forum, but I want to post it here and ask for comment.

Somewhere in the text I mention I need a better clock than the calendar. In the meantime I have designed the copper clock to do this, a full staffed copper mine delivering to a nearby warehouse at a steady rate, but I have been too lazy to redo my tests of the small pyramids, or test out the bigger ones. Again, any input is welcome.

Pyramid Construction

1. Introduction.

Building pyramids in Pharaoh usually is a lengthy procedure. Boring maybe, even with the pyramid speed-up on, considered a legal way of cheating by many experienced players. Actually with proper planning even the larger pyramids can be built quicker by manpower than by the gods themselves. So the pyramid speed-up is actually a misnomer, and should be called a pyramid discount offer instead.

Building the real pyramids in Egypt was a lengthy procedure too, so if it takes a long time in the game, due to limitations put in by the designer of the mission, it gives a fair picture of reality. I have done some testing about what you need to do to have a pyramid built rapidly at no high cost. I restricted myself to the stepped pyramids of sizes small, medium and large. The stepped pyramid complex and the grand stepped complex would take much testing time. I will try to extrapolate my findings from the smaller to the larger sizes.

To build a stepped pyramid you need a lot of plane stone and a bit of wood. In the test mission I designed, these both were available in abundance. If the goods need to be imported, that could be a limiting factor. Still the other parameters should be roughly similar. Most of the factors determining building speed can be influenced by the player. One can't, and that is the rate at which the sled pullers collect their stones at the storage yard. Only one sled at a time can leave the yard. Walkers from the work camps will all go to the same yard to collect their stones, and will only be convinced to turn to another yard once that one is empty. I couldn't fully figure out what yard that was, but it seems to be the last one built, then the one before that etcetera.

Knowing this, the goal of our design should be to have sleds leave the storage yards at a steady rate, without any delays. As we have no way to exceed that maximum rate, we must focus on optimizing the rest.

2. Foundations.

The first thing that must be done is the ground work. For that you need the workers from the work camp. Each camp will spawn a maximum of four workers consecutively. Each worker walks to the building site, enters it through the platform, walks across the site to the tile that needs work. He then works four tiles and disappears. The second walker will be sent out shortle after the first, the delay appears to be rather fixed, and doesn't depend on the whereabouts of the previously dispatched walker. To optimize the speed at which the workers reach the site there should be no road connection to the platform. That way the workers will walk diagonally cross the map, which is faster than along the gridlines the road must follow. You cannot control the movements of the worker on the building site, that is the limiting factor for this part of the construction.

As stated, a single work camp will dispatch a maximum of four workers. For the larger sites you never have four workers working at the same time, as the first has already done his four tiles before the third or fourth reaches his first tile. Below is a table on the preparation time in months for the different pyramids as a function of the number of work camps. It appears the unit of month is rather rough, introducing some rounding error. All camps are close to the platform and fully staffed. To ensure the last you may set food production to priority one, as the work camps fall under that department. There were no other camps that could spoil the issue, only meadow farming.

Table 1. Time in months for the ground work as a function of the number of work camps.
#camps 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
small 23 13 8 8 6 6 6 5 - - - - - -
medium - 28 18 15 12 11 9 8 8 7 - - - -
large - - - - 21 18 16 15 13 12 11 11 10 10

With two camps a small construction site is prepared twice as fast as with one, with three it's about three times as fast, but the forth one doesn't contribute as much. Workers travel larger distances on the construction site to find their four tiles, which causes delays. Also the average distance to the platform increases with the number of camps. Finally there is some delay in between different stages of the groundwork, during which time there are less or no workers at the site. That delay is independent of the number of camps.

The conclusion is that it doesn't pay to have more than 3 or 4 camps for a small pyramid, unless speed is of the essence. Even then 5 camps could suffice. If we compare eight and four camps we see that we need 80 employees extra to gain just three months. Those employees would probably have produced much more had they been employed in other industries. If we multiply the number of camps with the number of months we get an impression of the efficiency, as that is a direct measure of the wages involved. According to that criterium 3 camps is the best compromise between speed and economy. As the building costs of a work camp don't generally pose a problem, I have left that factor out.

For a medium size pyramid 5 camps is the best compromise, but if you can afford the 6 months, 3 camps is more efficient. If speed is important you need 8 camps. The ground work for the large pyramid is done most efficiently with 5 camps, if you want more speed 9 is a good compromise and for even more speed use 11 camps. The efficiency criterium is fairly constant here.

Extrapolation to the two larger sizes the following table applies. Given are the number of camps needed for the most efficient strategy. The size is the dimension of the square footprint on the map in tiles. The number of tiles increases quadratically with pyramid size, the walking distance on the size linearly. A simply used linear extrapolation. Probably second order polynomial gives a better result, provided we have more precise measurements. The rounding off error in the month unit is too large for more sophisticated tools.

Table 2. Optimal number of work camps for stepped pyramids.
size #camps #months
Small 8 3 8
Medium 12 5 12
Large 16 9 13
Complex 20 12 16
Grand 24 15 18

3. Small stepped pyramid

Now we come to the building of the pyramid itself. Quarries will produce stones at a rate of about one per 1.06 months. You can increase production rate by having an altar of Amon in your temple complex for Ptah. Exact numbers can be found in the Nerdicus post on Pharaoh Heaven. Carpenters take about three months to prepare the wood for making an addition to the ramp. Stone masons each deploy four workers and work camps each deploy two sleds. This all is assuming there is no shortage of employees. To assure this, both set the food and the industry department to high priority, as carpenters, stone masons and quarries all fall under the latter. In practice it's best to have a small level of unemployment during the building stage.

Pyramids are built in layers. Every six consecutive layers contain the same amount of blocks. The small pyramid consists of 6 layers of 24 blocks (8 loads) and a further 6 six layers of 8 blocks (2 loads). As the pullers deliver their blocks in loads of four that is the better unit. The total size of the small pyramid is 60 loads (240 blocks). The medium pyramid has 6 layers of 18 loads and a full small pyramid on top of that. The sizes in loads and the total size in loads and blocks of the five different pyramids are in the table below.

Table 3. Number of blocks needed per layer
Layer# 1-6 7-12 13-18 19-24 25-30 31-36 loads blocks
Small 8 2 - - - - 60 240
Medium 18 8 2 - - - 168 672
Large 32 18 8 2 - - 360 1440
Complex 50 32 18 8 2 - 660 2640
Grand 72 50 32 18 8 2 1092 4368

The lower layers from the second layer up all need a section of the wooden ramp to be added by the carpenter for the sled pullers to have access. The six top layers don't need the ramp. The four workers from the stone mason work in pairs. Each pair will handle a single load at a time. Once they have finished that load they walk across the site and call for a new load. The maximum number of stone mason workers per layer hence is just twice the total number of loads. The conclusion is that the maximum number of stone masons (buildings) needed per monument is half the number of loads in the lowest layer. In practice you can do with less.

Each work camp will send out two sleds. That would imply there is no gain in having more work camps than there are stone masons. It seems, however, that the second sled will not leave the SY before the first one has arrived at the platform. Hence it can be quicker to have a few camps more.

As stated before, the limiting factor is the rate at which sleds leave the SY where the blocks are collected. You can optimize the building rate by having a lay-out with this SY next to the platform (see the Meidum-150 scenario by Cartouche Bee on Pharaoh Heaven). If my observation of the order in which the SY's are visited by the sled pullers is correct, this should also be the first SY for plain stone that is built. Below is a detailed table on the construction rate of a small work camp, layer by layer, for different setups. Indicated are the number of camps (C), masons (M), quarries (Q) and carpenters (J). The reported time is in months, after the finishing of the foundation (see above for times needed for laying the foundation). At the start there was a single SY full of blocks (32).

Table 4. Building time per layer for different strategies
A: 10Q,1J 1C,1M B: 10Q,1J 2C,1M C: 10Q,1J 2C,2M D: 12Q,2J 2C,2M E: 14Q,2J 2C,2M F: 16Q,2J 3C,3M G: 16Q,2J 4C,4M H: 12Q*,2J 4C,4M
Layer 1 4 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
Layer 2 10 6 6 4 4 3 3 3
Layer 3 15 9 7 7 6 5 5 5
Layer 4 19 13 11 10 9 7 8 7
Layer 5 23 16 14 12 11 9 10 9
Layer 6 28 21 18 16 14 11 12 10
Layer 7 31 23 21 - - - - -
Layer 8 32 24 22 - - - - -
Layer 9 33 26 23 - - - - -
Layer 10 35 27 25 - - - - -
Layer 11 37 29 26 - - - - -
Layer 12 38 31 28 - - - - -

Having the extra camp in B speeds up the construction rate of the first 6 layers, for the last 6 layers it doesn't make any difference. The limiting rate for the last six layers is the time it takes to walk up the ramp to the building level of the construction site. This cannot be influenced by the player. The extra mason in C does give extra speed, the problem is a delay at the second level because the carpenter isn't ready. With the extra carpenter in D that problem is fixed. The two extra quarries are not enough to keep up with the building rate, so another two quarries are added in E. The top six layers still take 9-10 months, independent of the configuration, so they are not reported. Increasing the number of masons and camps to 3 in F reduces building time. Using the efficiency criterium (months) x (masons), we conclude F is less efficient than E, and E is as efficient as A. Actually E is a bit more efficient than A because we need relatively fewer quarries. With 4 masons (G) efficiency goes down further because logistics is bad.

Storing 128 blocks in 4 SY's and optimizing lay out (H) it is possible to decrease building time to 10 months, with even fewer quarries. Still efficiency is less than in (E). Using the same optimized lay-out we can bring down the time of the first six layers in (E) to 13, making it by far the most efficient one. If speed is of the essence it is possible to gain just one extra month with 4 masons, 6 camps, 3 carpenters and 4 complete full yards, setting the yard next to the platform, where the sleds leave, to getting and the other 3 to empty. This was the only example in all my tests where 3 carpenters were needed. Apparantly the presence of four masons to fully cover the lower layers is not needed. In the time it takes the later sleds to move up the ramp the stone masons that receive the first load can deposit the blocks and move across the building site to call for another load.

4. Optimal construction

Two carpenters are sufficient to have the construction rate of the ramp meet that of the layers. If both are ready to put in the piece, only one will go, and the other will do the next piece for the next layer. No micromanagement is necessary. This is different from the construction of the scaffolding, where all carpenters that are ready to build come to the construction site, but only one gets to build the piece. Nonetheless all start from zero again with preparations.

The six ground layers are optimally placed in 12 months. That means you need 192 blocks in 12 months, or 16 blocks per month. To produce these by quarries you would need 17, or 12 if you have the altar. You can do with less by having some in storage. If you store say 96 blocks, you only need to produce another 96 blocks in 12 months, and 10 quarries suffice. That is 5 quarries per camp for the optimal strategy (E). For the upper layers the construction rate slows down, and less quarries are needed. It will be difficult though to have a lay-out where all the quarry delivery men bring the block to the SY within the production time, which calls for more quarries.

Together with 9 months for the top layers and the time needed to lay the foundation, with 8 and 3 camps respectively, that brings the fastest construction time down to 23 months for a small stepped pyramid, as compared to 30 for the most efficient strategy.

It seems a bit odd to put so much effort in a detailed analysis of the optimal construction strategy of a small stepped pyramid. The construction of a small pyramid will hardly ever be the main bottleneck in completing a mission, but the larger pyramids frequently are the focal point of the strategy of citybuilding. From this study of the small pyramid we can derive the proper strategy for building the larger pyramids. The general conclusions are:

1. The limiting factor in the groundwork is the movement of the work camp workers over the building site.
2. The limiting factor in the construction of the pyramid itself is the rate at which sleds depart from the SY.
3. At a later stage the time to move up the ramp becomes a more important limiting factor.

This leads to the following rules of thumb:

4. Two carpenters suffice to have the construction rate of the ramp match that of the layers.
5. Use equal numbers of stone masons and work camps.
6. The number of quarries for the production rate to match the construction rate is
( 6 x 4 x [#loads/layer] - [#blocks stored] ) x 1.06 / ( 6 x [#months/layer] )
Another important point is that the upper 12 layers of a medium size pyramid just make up a small pyramid. That implies all of the conclusions above apply equally well to the larger pyramids. For the lower layers conclusion #2 is of relevance, and #3 for the upper layers.

5. Medium and Large stepped pyramid

The study for the medium size pyramid begins with construction of the first layer only. Above we have show that for the ground work 6 camps is a good compromise. During the construction of levels 7-12 we will need four camps and masons (conclusion #3). Two carpenters will suffice. The construction of layers 1-6 takes 18 loads per layer. These were stored before construction. The construction time in months of just the first layer as a function of the number work camps and masons is given by the following table

Table 5. Time for the first layer (medium)
#camps 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
time 10 5 4 3 2 2 2 2 2

Five camps and masons is the best you can get, a bit further testing shows 5 camps and four masons is equally fast. For layers 7-12, each requiring 8 loads, four masons appears to be the optimum too, considering the ramp to be the limiting factor. The layers are produced in two months, so 2 carpenters are needed.

The problem is at the supply side. Suppose we have 128 blocks stored. The number of loads per layer is 18 and the number of months per layer is 2. According to the equation (6) we need ( 6 x 4 x 18 - 128 ) x 1.06 / ( 6 x 2 ) = 27 quarries. I tried with 16 quarries and didn't make it. Construction rate dropped to 4-5 months/layer for layers 3-6 because the storage was exhausted and the supply lacking. All in all the delay is 10 months, the next six layers are done in two months each, equally fast as for a stand alone small pyramid. With a storage of 192 blocks (6SY's) the equation gives 21 quarries. Again I tried with only 16. Now construction for layers 3-6 slowed down to 3 months, not because supply was lacking, but because sleds would collect blocks from SY further from the construction site. After layer 7 the rate went up to 2 months per layer, indicating a loss of only 5 months. Only the top layer took 3 months again, because of the long ramp. Construction of the full pyramid took 43 months. That may be reduced to 38 by putting in extra quarries that deliver to the SY next to the platform.

The construction time for the first layer of the large stepped pyramid (32 loads = 128 blocks) as a function of the number of work camps is given below. The number of stone masons is equal to the number of work camps.

Table 6. Time for the first layer (large)
#camps 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
months 6 4 4 4 3 3 3 2

Some further testing showed that 5 masons and 7 camps (B) would also do the work in three months, and 8 masons with 10 camps (C) finish in two months. On average 4 of each (A) is still the most efficient strategy, and it would allow for having just one carpenter. Also the number of quarries does not get too high. If we follow strategy (A) the number of quarries with 128 blocks stored according to eqn. (6) is 28, with strategy (B) we need 42 and with (C) we need 55. In practice the number will probably be a little less, as building speed will drop because of other factors.

I tried strategy (B), with 5 mason, 7 camps, 2 carpenters, 20 quarries and 192 blocks stored. The first three layers were constructed in 10 months, just a little below estimate, without supplies lacking, but at layer 4-6 the rate dropped to 7 months per layer. With 20 quarries the maximal production rate is 19 blocks per month, which indeed gives 7 months per layer. The following layers of 18 loads were done in four months each. Obviously the problem is on the supply side here, we really need say the 40 odd quarries to keep up, or store a whole lot more before starting. My design map didn't allow for more than the 20 quarries to be constructed near the building site, so I couldn't do that test. If we do have the possibility to have those quarries nearby, we can expect the pyramid to be constructed in about 60 months.

Results and discussion.

Small: Start with 3 work camps, store 128 blocks from 12 quarries, delete one camp after the ground work. Build 2 carpenters and 2 stone masons. Total building time 30 months.

Medium: Build 5 work camps, store 192 blocks from 16 quarries. Build 2 carpenters and 4 stone masons. Total building time 55 months.

Large: Start with 9 camps, store 256 blocks from 30 quarries. Build 5 masons and 2 carpenters and delete 2 camps. Total building time 75 months estimated.

The following two are just estimates based upon extrapolation of the previous results.

Complex: Start with 12 camps, store 300 blocks from 40 quarries. Build 7 masons and 2 carpenters and delete 3 camps. Total building time 95 months estimated.

Grand: Start with 15 camps, store 400 blocks from 50 quarries. Build 8 masons and 2 carpenters and delete 3 camps. Total building time 120 months estimated.

The Strategy used by Cartouche Bee in her Meidum scenario with a stepped pyramid complex and a small stepped pyramid is 72 quarries, 2 carpenters, 9 masons and 18 work camps. That at least is what is present in the save file after 94 months. I do not know whether she used different numbers at earlier stages and how many blocks she had stored before starting construction. The full scenario is finished in 150 months. Given the above measurements and estimates that's cutting it pretty sharp, mildly stated, considering the time needed to build up the potential work force. The monuments would need 125 months to build, leaving just 25 months before construction can start. This typically looks like a strategy with the emphasis on speed, but the other parameters for the map are equally well optimized. The Meidum mission, with its large space and many resources, allows for such an approach. Based upon my own estimates I would guess the mission can be finished almost equally fast with substantially less work camps, 9 to 12 should be sufficient.

Building the real pyramids in Egypt was a lengthy procedure, so if it takes a long time in the game, due to limitations put in by the designer of the mission, it gives a fair picture of reality.

(Included corrected tables and adjusted quarry production rate)

[This message has been edited by joshofet (edited 04-05-2002 @ 10:23 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-25-02 13:44 ET (US)     1 / 13  
Hi joshofet,

Well I see that you have put a lot of effort into looking into this a bit more. I really liked your site preparation information. Too bad that some of charts are spaced so poorly cause some of them were basically impossible to decode. You have made reference to quarry production rates that are misleading. According to your 1.25 production rate one might assume that a quarry normally produces 15 stones per year. Normally they produce less than 12 stones per year. You might want to adjust some of your calculations to reflect the numbers that coincide with the post you made reference to. I suspect that you used your copper clock to arrive at the number you used. The copper clock is fairly accurate if used in a long term measurement of time, however, in short periods of time, say a month, the time could be off by 6.25%(one game day/game month). Those types of inaccuracies could dramatically effect longer term calculations.

When I build pyramids, I combine the site preparation with the ramp up of the resources to construct the pyramid. The process of building the city that produces the resources required to actually construct the pyramid, of course cannot be calculated because each map situation provides different barriers to actual completion. For instance, even in your example, you were thwarted by not being able to build quarries close to the construct site. As you have seen, my Meidum submission, many of my quarries were not close to the site, yet they did contribute to overall production and therefore completion speed. Calculating construction speed from the time the first load of bricks or stone is on its way to the pyramid to completion is probably a more realistic goal.

The Saqqara mission is a good example of a medium pyramid. There is really no best site for construction and there are countless ways to perform the task. My example in the downloads I used 5 masons and 7 workcamps. The bottleneck in that mission is the quick supply of stones. However the completion in 57 months was fairly swift, even according to your calculations.

Anyway, this 'guy' would like to thank you for contributing your work. Formalizing the knowledgebase is how we all have learned so much about the game. The more we learn, the more we refine our execution of the knowledge.

Happy Gaming,

Cartouche Bee

PS. When I first downloaded others games from here, I could see that many people deleted many of the remnants earlier in the mission. Since I was trying to learn how to plan and make things work I always wished I could see earlier stages of their development. Other than a competition post, I always leave all my early construction phases in the city unless I note it in my mission description. So, what you see is what I did, no primping for looks because I'm going to post it.

[This message has been edited by Cartouche Bee (edited 03-25-2002 @ 03:32 PM).]

posted 03-25-02 18:07 ET (US)     2 / 13  
joshofet,

I have attempted to put the data in your post into table format. Follow this link to see what I have done.

As you stated, they are indeed very difficult to read, and I may not have all of the data in the correct columns. Post any corrections that you would like to make in the thread where the tables are. I will make the corrections and then you can copy-and-paste the tables into your post by editing my post.

Vaia

posted 03-27-02 06:31 ET (US)     3 / 13  
VAIA

Thanks for the tables. They were correct, and I have pasted them in my original post.

Cartouche Bee

You're correct that the Nerdicus figure is different, he reports 0.94 blocks/month, which comes to 1.06 months/block. I used 1.25 months/block instead of 1.06 months/block based upon the time needed for a single quarry to fully fill a SY one tile away. For the 32 blocks that took 40 months, considerably less then 12 blocks per year. I didn't use (or need) the copper clock for that. As in practice the 1.06 doesn't seem to be obtainable I prefer to stick with the 1.25, but I'll redo the experiment to see why my figure is so far from optimal.

I'll come back to your other comment later.

Thanx gals.

posted 03-27-02 10:03 ET (US)     4 / 13  
Hi joshofet,

I guess production rate really does not matter that much if you have enough blocks stored prior to construction to meet your needs.

CB

[This message has been edited by Cartouche Bee (edited 03-27-2002 @ 01:30 PM).]

posted 04-03-02 11:07 ET (US)     5 / 13  
Cartouche Bee

I have looked into your Saqqara map. The difference with my approach is that you have used a temple complex and many more than the 16 quarries I suggest.

I tried my approach, with 4 masons, 5 camps, 2 carpenters and 16 quarries. No temple complex. Because it takes some time to get enough storage I couldn't start the pyramid construction right away. I finished in 84 months, pyramid construction took 60 of it. If I hadn't messed up wood delivery that could have been 57 months, close to my own reported 55. In a second try I didn't wait for the stock, but started constructing at day one. I finished in 73 months. The 72nd month rolled over as my mason were laying the last stone.

That is still much slower than your 57, but I didn't go for speed. Staying within a population size of 3500, I had a huge unemployment level throughout. Had I been playing the mission for other than testing purposes, I could have used those people to make an enormous profit, or a much nicer city, or you name it.

My figures aren't meant to minimise construction time, but rather to have a pyramid constructed in a reasonable time, with a reasonable effort. I hope my estimates will help people build their pyramids without just waiting for the damned thing to be finished. In practice it would not be a problem to put in some extra facilities, especially later in the game money and labour aren't very scarce commodities. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to use some of the tables I give for choosing your own balance.

My quarry production figure is clearly wrong. One quarry filled one SY in 34 months, a rate of 1 block per 1.0625 months, as in the Nerdicus table. You're conclusion is correct, even with the lower figure the necessary number of quarries needed to keep up with building speed for the lower levels is too high. So you need to store blocks. Nonetheless I wil correct the tables. Thanks for the comment.

posted 01-18-10 10:00 ET (US)     6 / 13  
At Saqqara, my medium stepped pyramid only required about 6 quarries. I did barely any stockpiling and, despite the fact that my peasants and stonemasons were optimal, never had a problem with running out of plain stone. Perhaps you should check up on that? If you're still playing the game and on this forum that is.
posted 01-18-10 12:54 ET (US)     7 / 13  
brainwasher5,
The maximum production from 6 quarries (if Amon's altar exists) is 96 blocks/year. My Saqqara's construction layout is not optimal, but it can build the lower levels of the pyramid at about 3 times that rate. It sounds like construction in your Saqqara was far from optimal.
posted 01-24-10 16:51 ET (US)     8 / 13  
Funny. I'll check up on it, maybe I miscounted.
posted 09-14-14 16:02 ET (US)     9 / 13  
I have reviewed the above data and come up with my own interpretation. Not being fond of tables, I have attempted to reduce it all to a series of formulas. Many thanks to joshofet for his research; nearly everything here is an interpolation of that data.

Henipatra

Pyramids And Mastabas

Pyramids and mastabas range in size from 6 to 36 layers. The amount of materials needed for a given monument is of course fixed; but you have some flexibility in the labor supplied. Adding more labor results in a shorter construction time; but you quickly reach a point of diminishing returns where it doesn't make sense to add more labor. Using less labor than the estimates give below is more "efficient", but the time needed for construction starts going up rapidly.

Example: Large Plain Stone Pyramid Using Locally Quarried Stone

A large pyramid requires 1440 blocks of stone, or 360 loads (4 blocks equals one load). Start by taking the square root of the number of loads -- the square root of 360 is 18.97 --- then multiply that by .45 -- you get 8.54; round that off to 9. This is the number of work camps you need for the ground-preparation phase (in addition to those camps needed for agriculture).

For the actual construction phase, again take the square root -- 18.97 -- and multiply by .28 (and round) to get 5, the maximum number of stonemasons' guilds (buildings) you can make use of. But reduce this number if you can't obtain stone fast enough to keep them all fully busy.

Multiply the number of guilds by 1.33 to get the number of work camps you need in the stone laying phase. Round off, then delete any existing work camps in excess of that number.

Multiply the number of stonemasons' guilds by .38 and round to get the number of carpenters' guilds to build. Ramps are not needed for the first layer or the last six layers, but be sure to build and supply the carpenter guilds soon enough that you don't have to wait for them to be ready.

Each guild's worth of stonemasons can lay one load of stone per month. Therefore, you need four quarries (or three with the Altar of Amon) per stonemasons' guild to supply enough stone, assuming you start quarrying stone when you first need it. If you accumulate some stone beforehand, you can get by with fewer quarries. Monitor the amount of stone in your storage yards carefully; if you start accumulating too much or start running out, adjust the number of quarries as needed.

When the quarries or dock is some distance away

If the source of stone is some distance away from the construction site, you may need extra masons and laborers to compensate for the longer distance hauling. Do not try to solve the distance problem by "getting" stone from one storage yard to another; "getting" stone is done 1 block at a time while the sled pullers always pull 4 blocks at a time.

Upper levels of your pyramid

The closer the pyramid gets to completion, the fewer stonemasons (and work camps) you will need. This is because the maximum number of stonemason's guilds that can be used is half the number of loads in that layer (for the last 6 layers it's always 2 loads per layer utilizing at most one guild, and for the 6 layers just underneath those it's always 8 loads per layer keeping no more than 4 stonemasons' guilds busy). As you raze excess stonemasons' guilds, raze excess work camps too.

While the maximum number of workers that can be on duty at the construction site decreases, the time to build a layer actually increases because of the time required to climb the lengthening ramp. And when a layer is complete, everything comes to a stop -- the stonemasons take a break, and nothing happens until the masons climb up the pyramid again, and only then do the sled pullers start hauling stone up the ramp again.

But because the same amount of ramp is still needed from one layer to the next, you will still need as many carpenters' guilds, at least until the laborers develop the ability to walk on thin air!

Other Pyramids And Mastabas

The calculations are similar; for monuments made of brick, use bricklayers' guilds instead and remember each load is 400 bricks. (For mastabas, the foreman's estimate of the number of bricks needed is for some reason 400 short until the last level is actually begun -- must be too much Egyptian beer!) If you have to import materials, the maximum you can build in a year is of course the determined by the amount you can import. It may speed things up to accumulate materials beforehand if you can.

Pyramid Speedup

When Pyramid Speedup is turned on, the gods will sometimes assist by building part of the monument for you. They supply their own materials; therefore you will have to recalculate the amount of material (including wood) still needed after each blessing.

EDIT: For multiple monuments, Pyramid Speedup does not do anything after the FIRST monument is finished.

[This message has been edited by Henipatra (edited 09-28-2014 @ 04:57 AM).]

posted 09-26-14 12:57 ET (US)     10 / 13  
Hi there! I'm a newbie here but I've been playing Pharoah for years. I'd just like to say that if you place more than one pyramid at a time then the speed up blessing by the gods will affect/effect both pyramids at the same time. I've had the gods build a small pyramid for me without having to do anything at the same time that they helped build a larger one. It's really awesome to say the least.
posted 09-26-14 13:40 ET (US)     11 / 13  
Hi JeanettaLA, welcome to Pharaoh Heaven.

I've never used the pyramid speed-up option, but I think I remember someone saying that it would work on multiple pyramids until the first one was done.
posted 09-27-14 20:51 ET (US)     12 / 13  
Hi Brugle! Thanks for the welcome.

I'll go ahead and take the opportunity to thank you and others on this forum for the tons of information that has been so helpful to the rest of us that love this game. It's really appreciated!

Take care and happy gaming!
posted 09-28-14 04:58 ET (US)     13 / 13  
Thank you Jeanetta and Brugle for the correction; I've updated my post appropriately.

Henipatra
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » pyramid speedup
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames