Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Strange problem with granaries
posted 12-29-03 12:37 ET (US)   
edit
This topic is about my experiences and the way of figuring out the strange behaviour of granary cart pushers.
If you only want to know why (fully staffed) granary cart pushers are disappearing and reappearing next to the building instead of 'getting' the good you set them to 'get', then read only the third message (the bold text).
If you want to know how I figured this out read everything of course.
/edit

After 2 years of reading I finally registered to the forum, because I couldn't find a solution to my problem in other posts.

In my Rostja (december 2003) the city is split to 2 parts (no road connection between them) One on the left and one on the right of the small river (not the Nile).

First of all: all SYs, granaries and lodges in the city are fully staffed, they all have labour access.

On the right part:
There are hunting lodges and a SY accepting game meat next to them. Further from them there is a granary set to 'get' game meat and there is no problem, the granary is getting the meat.

On the left part:
There are hunting lodges and a SY accepting game meat next to them. Further from them there is a granary set to 'get' game meat and the granary cart pusher just appears, disappears and then reappears again without doing anything. Although the granary still accepts the game meat that hunting lodge delivery men bring because the SY next to the lodges is full.

[This message has been edited by xGHT (edited 08-22-2004 @ 10:53 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12-29-03 14:27 ET (US)     1 / 8  
After playing around some more I figured this out:

The SY on the right (where everything was ok) is closer to the left granary (which is in the other road system) than to the right granary.
And by deleting this SY, everything goes back to normal on the left!

[This message has been edited by xGHT (edited 05-22-2004 @ 05:10 PM).]

posted 12-29-03 16:44 ET (US)     2 / 8  
First of all NEAREST means it's fewer tiles away and not that the road leading to it is shorter!

So here is the my conclusion completed about (fully staffed) granary 'get' cart pushers:

1) Granary 'get' cart pushers will ALWAYS try to get the desired food from the NEAREST granary (which has the good and is not 'getting' it). NEAREST means it is fewer tiles away (closer on the map), it doesn't matter how long the road is.

2) BUT if the NEAREST Granary (which has the desired food and is not 'getting' it), is NOT connected to the original granary with a road, the granary cart pusher will disappear and reappear next to the granary doing nothing (since only SY 'get' cart pushers travel 'cross country')!

3) They only try to get to the NEAREST SY (which has the desired food and is not 'getting' it) if the NEAREST granary (no matter if it's not connected with roads) doesn't have the desired food or is 'getting' it.

4) BUT if the NEAREST SY (which has the desired food and is not 'getting' it), is NOT connected to the original granary with a road, the granary cart pusher will disappear and reappear next to the granary doing nothing (just like in 2)).

Well 'whattayanow, I figured it out myself!

[This message has been edited by xGHT (edited 05-23-2004 @ 07:02 AM).]

posted 12-30-03 03:51 ET (US)     3 / 8  
good observation, xGHT!
posted 05-26-04 09:10 ET (US)     4 / 8  
Quote:
"After 2 years of reading I finally registered to the forum"

Shame

posted 05-27-04 05:03 ET (US)     5 / 8  
Tryhard wrote:
"Shame"

For 2 years I found all information I needed in previous topics. I just didn't want to disturb you with some n00b questions you already discussed.

I tell you what is the real shame:
I hated citybuilding games before May 2001.
I got a CD full of game demos from a magazine with Pharaoh demo on it in December 1999.
1.5 years passed.
I played with the Pharaoh demo in spring 2001.
I got the full game in May 2001.
I hate citybuilding games no more (However the only citybuilding game I play with is Pharaoh).

posted 05-27-04 07:27 ET (US)     6 / 8  
It's tough. HEre's somebody who does what all staff members advertise: don't start new threads with noob questions and now it's shame.

I didn't like citybuilding either - more because I'm not good at planning than because I don't like building cities.
xGHT: you may like Emperor even more.

posted 05-27-04 16:02 ET (US)     7 / 8  
Following on your recommendation, this seems to be an appropriate juncture for me to air a gripe and ask for some advice.

I like Pharaoh but I have a problem with it. It is excessively "mousy" as far as I'm concerned and it's sorely in need of keyboard navigation facilitea and/or a whole load of keyboard shortcuts. Having to "mouse" to a button and click on it, just to close a popup window is tiresome, especially if I have inadvertently hit the ESC key and I'm expected to click the "No" button to tell the program that I don't want to quit. Simple yes/no options like that one should always have a friendly default and should always be answerable with (maybe Tab and) a single key-click. The way that successive popups jump up and down the screen exacerbates the problem and reviewing the Special Orders on a group of storage yards, for example, is a very tedious exercise. It's a serious failing in an otherwise brilliant game.

Pharaoh is the only game in the series that I have played and I would like to know if Emperor and the others have been overhauled in this regard.

posted 05-27-04 21:53 ET (US)     8 / 8  
Nimbert,
At the bottom of this Forum page is a Search function.(the page that lists the Topics for Pharaoh Help, before you choose a Thread to read) Type in Hot Keys and you will get sent to an older Thread asking the same question. There you find that if you go to the Strategy section of the site, you can download a whole compiled list of the Hot Keys for Pharaoh - or you could look in the manual on the cd - I believe they are there too.

Here is the Link to the Strategy page where the hot Keys Download is listed.
http://pharaoh.heavengames.com/strategy/index.shtml

Enjoy....

Miut

Reality is for those who can't face SF
http://www.sff.net/people/Lisanne

[This message has been edited by Miut (edited 05-27-2004 @ 09:56 PM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Strange problem with granaries
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames