Please login or register

Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Direction of house expansion
posted 04-25-04 14:56 ET (US)   
I don't think that this topic has been covered before--if it has then please let me know.

A 1x1 spacious apartment, a 2x2 fancy residence, or a 3x3 stately manor will expand when it evolves. When it could expand in multiple directions, which will it choose? The question isn't very important, since solid objects can be used to prevent the house from expanding in "wrong" directions. However, I sometimes try to play missions without deleting anything (other than objects that are present initially, such as the Kingdom Road). Besides, I was curious.

I performed quite a few experiments on expanding 1x1 houses, and enough experiments on expanding 2x2 and 3x3 houses to give me a fair amount of confidence in these results. But, of course, I could have missed something.

A house will only expand over bare ground, gardens, vacant lots, and lower-level housing. The preferences are:
a) entirely lower-level houses and/or vacant lots,
b) empty land, perhaps with some lower-level houses and/or vacant lots, but no gardens,
c) gardens, perhaps with other stuff.
For example, a house that could expand either south over empty land and lower-level houses or west over just lower-level houses, will expand west.

If a house could expand into equally attractive spaces in different directions, the preferences are:
1) south,
2) north,
3) west,
4) east.
For example, a house that could expand south over gardens and empty land, west over just empty land, or north over just empty land, will expand north.

The practical implications are left as an exercise for the reader.

Replies:
posted 04-26-04 10:10 ET (US)     1 / 2  
May be. I sometimes try to make residences evolving in a specific direction adding one garden tile on the corresponding corner. But, as you said, I generally use small statues. The interesting purpose of this study would be when statues are not allowed.
Nonetheless, I faced in Rowarty a curiosity, and not for the first time. One house evolved to fancy residence over the floodplain, though it could have done it in the opposite direction. And the desirability of a field should have forbidden it. I do not know the properties of edges of the floodplain. I have never seen anything similar over reeds, for example.
posted 04-28-04 10:56 ET (US)     2 / 2  
The corner of my pyramid complex is on the flood plain. lol. Didn't notice it until after I started building.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Direction of house expansion
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames