Please login or register

Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hair-trigger high tax complaints
posted 06-11-04 19:19 ET (US)   
So, as promised, I just pulled Pharaoh/Cleo out of the mothballs and have been playing my way through the tutorial missions on Very Hard difficulty.

One of the things I've run up against, that I don't recall having to deal with in previous outings, is the complaints of "High Taxes."

I don't fiddle with the tax rate, and generally leave it where it is. And the frustrating thing is that I'll go for years of in-game time without any complaints, and then suddenly, for no reason that I can detect, people start complaining about taxes.

Is this something that's related to housing level? That is, the better my housing level, the more likely people are to complain about taxation?

Replies:
posted 06-12-04 10:59 ET (US)     1 / 1  
City sentiment is fairly complex--I don't understand all of it. Sentiment is worse at Very Hard difficulty than at lower difficulties. If people complain about something (such as high taxes) then you could probably improve city sentiment by changing it, but you could also probably improve city sentiment by doing something else (perhaps raising wages or lowering unemployment).

In Pharaoh (unlike Caesar III), the fraction of people registered for taxes can affect city sentiment. Having no people registered for taxes has the same effect as taxing at 0%. At any given non-zero tax rate, as more people are registered for taxes, the effect becomes worse up to the worst effect at 40%-50% of the people registered for taxes. Depending on the tax rate, some higher fractions of the people registered for taxes may not be quite as bad as 40%-50%. (There is a Taxes thread in the "Links for beginners" sticky thread, but I don't know if the information there is entirely correct.)

Your problem might also be caused by an increase in population, if you typically keep the city small for several years (a reasonable tactic, to earn lots of trade income). City sentiment (like many other things) cannot change much when the population is small.

A recent festival appears to improve city sentiment. If the time since the last festival increases then city sentiment could fall.

Housing levels may have an effect on city sentiment. Some players have suggested that a large difference in housing levels makes city sentiment worse. My guess is that the effect is caused by the worst housing level, so raising the worst housing level improves city sentiment.

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Hair-trigger high tax complaints
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames