Please login or register

Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Entertainer going from school to venue start and finish points
posted 01-26-10 18:56 ET (US)   
This post describes the start and finish points of a dancer going from a dance school to a pavilion, a musician going from a conservatory to a bandstand or a pavilion, or a juggler going from a juggler school to a booth or a bandstand or a pavilion. Note: I consider all roads to be connected, and don't consider the question of which venue such a walker will go to (given a choice).

I assume that the reader is familiar with my Random walker start and finish points, as recently updated with information on booths, bandstands, and pavilions.

Entertainer starting point at an entertainment school

By "starting point", I mean the road tile where the entertainer becomes visible. Actually, the way that an entertainer gets to the starting point is similar to what Trium describes in Invisible random walkers (and work camp laborers): an entertainer is invisibly generated at the same tile that the citizen would be generated, waits for 2 animation ticks, (if not already at the starting point) walks straight to the starting point (through buildings if necessary), and becomes visible. But this is of little practical importance, as far as I can tell--the starting point is what matters for city design.

The starting point is selected by a two-part process. First, a road tile (that may be roadblocked) which is adjacent to a side (not just a corner) of the entertainment school is selected. The tile selected is the first one encountered, starting at the tile just N of the N corner of the entertainment school and going around the school clockwise. Call this tile X. If X is not roadblocked then it is the random walker starting point.

Second, imagine a building the size of the school with its north tile at X. Then, select the finishing tile for a common random walker from the imaginary building, including (as part of the search) the tiles inside the imaginary building in the obvious way. (I'd guess that the search for a common random walker's finishing tile is programmed like that--checking all of the tiles in a square and rejecting those that are part of the building because they are not roads--since it would be simple and fairly efficient.) The starting point of the entertainer from the school is that finishing tile (of the imaginary building).

Let me put the second part another way. The starting point is the first one of the following that is a road (which may be roadblocked):
a) the tile N of X,
b) the tile NE of X,
c) the tile E of X,
d) the tile E then SE of X,
e) (only for musicians and dancers) the tile E then 2 tiles SE of X,
f) (only for dancers) the tile E then 3 tiles SE of X,
g) the tile NW of X,
h) X.

For example, this is the layout (from my Abu) where I was first "bit" by entertainers not emerging on a tile adjacent to their schools (with north up-left):
Storage Yard
Weaver
ConservatoryWeaver
ShrineShrine
ShrineHouseHouseHouseHouse

For the conservatory, X is just below (SW of) the lower right (S) corner. (That tile is not roadblocked, but if it was roadblocked then it would still be X.) The tiles N of X and NE of X are part of the conservatory, the tiles E of X and E then SE of X are shrines, and the tile E then 2 tiles SE of X is a road (plaza in the diagram), so musicians created by the conservatory will start on that (plaza) tile.

Entertainer (from a school) finishing point at a venue

Note: this is sometimes wrong. Don't depend on it. See reply #3.

An entertainer going from a school to a venue selects its finishing tile when it becomes visible at its starting point. At that time, if the venue has shows of its type then the finishing point is the random walker finishing point for the venue. But if the venue does not have shows of its type, then the finishing point is the first road tile (that may be roadblocked) which is adjacent to the side (not just a corner) of the "building" (juggle stage for a booth, northernmost tile of the music stage for a bandstand, dance stage for a pavilion) found when starting just N of the N tile of the "building" and going clockwise around the "building". If the venue does not have shows of its type, and if the finishing point is not roadblocked, then the finishing point is the random walker starting point for the venue.

For example (north is up-left):
Music platformDance platform
Juggle platform

When a musician starts at a conservatory and heads for this pavilion which has music shows at that time, she will finish at the roadblock which is touching just a corner of the dance stage and the music stage (which is the random walker finishing point for the pavilion). When a musician starts at a conservatory and heads for this pavilion which does not have music shows at that time, she will finish at the roadblock which is adjacent to a side (not just a corner) of the dance stage. (The random walker starting point of the pavilion is beside the small statue).

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 09-21-2016 @ 03:41 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-27-10 02:36 ET (US)     1 / 3  
I'm amazed that the dancers square can be used as a finishing point. That never really occured to me but seeing as the starting point will then also be on that feeder side it kind of limits the feature.

I'v tried reading all of the many posts about random walkers and such and its really just too heavy for me (as I'm about to attempt NAFTA i really should try again as i know all that info will help). Could you please just clear up a few things in lamens terms for me?

1. Is there a way to prevent the walker from spawning on a roadblocked tile where two sides of the building are road connected and one of them is covered by a roadblock? (this is more related to fireies then entertainers but Triums link leads me to believe the principle is the same)

2. If you have entertainers leave their production building (therefore arriving at the entertainment venue and finally then leave for a random walk) at different ticks will that prevent teleporting walkers? (this ones been bugging me for a while and one of my biggest mission problems (apart from the usual war and money))

Eagles may soar, but weasels do not get sucked into jet engines
Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, Proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too
posted 01-27-10 10:21 ET (US)     2 / 3  
I'v tried reading all of the many posts about random walkers and such and its really just too heavy for me
It's not necessary to know that sort of detail. After all, players built good-looking well-functioning cities when we knew little about random walkers.

If you want to learn about random walkers, don't try to read all of the posts. My (immodest) recommendation would be to start with Random walker start and finish points. For more, try the first 7 pages of StephAmon's "Ambulomancy" paper which is linked from Predicting Roaming Walks. After that, look into specialized topics that interest you.
Is there a way to prevent the walker from spawning on a roadblocked tile where two sides of the building are road connected and one of them is covered by a roadblock?
As far as we know, with a given set of roads and roadblocks around a building, a given walker will always start at a determined place, except for entertainers and bazaar traders who sometimes teleport. Many random walkers will not start in a roadblock, but changing which roads are roadblocked does not affect the starting tile of architects, fire marshals, constables, tax collectors, and magistrates (as long as at least one non-roadblocked road tile is adjacent to a side (not just a corner) of the building).

Of course, you can change where any walker starts by changing the roads.
If you have entertainers leave their production building ... at different ticks will that prevent teleporting walkers?
Probably not. It might be possible for a pavilion to not teleport entertainers if the initial entertainers arrived at the pavilion separated by certain intervals, but (if so) I'd expect designing a city with such a pavilion to be tricky.

I usually depend on musicians and dancers going from their schools to venues to cover houses, so teleporting entertainers don't affect the city's operation. (As long as no harm is done, I enjoy seeing walkers in places where they don't usually go.)
posted 09-21-16 15:36 ET (US)     3 / 3  

Note: The opening post's description of the finishing point for an entertainer from an entertainer school is wrong (at least sometimes). I've seen entertainers (from their school) ending at the random walker finishing point of the pavilion regardless of whether the pavilion has shows of its type when the entertainer started.

As far as I know, the description of the starting point at an entertainer school is correct.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Entertainer going from school to venue start and finish points
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames