Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A comprehensive guide of all aspects Pharaoh
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 06-03-15 07:06 ET (US)   
Long time no see, everyone.

So for the last 16 years of my life or so I have played Pharaoh obsessively for a couple of weeks, then dropped it for a few years after feeling hopeless, and then started it again in an infinite loop. I suspect that, as I approach my mid-twenties, I am rapidly approaching the point in my life where if I don't finish the game now, I'll never get the chance again.

This forum has always been here for me when I had questions. I'm not going to devalue what you guys do here: some of you have this game's mechanics down to a science. The last time I was here, I broached the subject of compiling all the information for pharaoh onto a more accessible format, such as a wiki. I created Impressions Games Wiki under the hopes that it would pick up traction, but it did not.

WHAT FOLLOWS NEXT IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT, PLEASE READ ALL THE WAY THROUGH FIRST AND HEAR ME OUT.

Now that I am going on what is probably my last attempt at beating the game, I am similarly going to take a stab at building the wiki once more. However, my knowledge is very lacking...every time I read the posts here, something new comes up that I had never thought of before. For example, a recent post taught me that Bazaar buyers only purchase goods within a 40 tile range of its north tile. Such information is in my opinion invaluable, yet there are very few strategy guides or encyclopedias out there that would state such facts.

I am NOT asking for you all to join me on the wiki and help me to edit (although you are welcome to do so, if you wish it). I am, however, requesting that I be granted interviews on the nitty-gritty of all aspects of this game, so that I may improve the wiki myself. If no one else reads it, at least I will have an easy-to-reference suppository of knowledge.

Anyone up for an interview?

[This message has been edited by brainwasher5 (edited 06-03-2015 @ 07:21 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-04-15 05:16 ET (US)     1 / 48  
I'd love to see a wiki where ppl contribute and gather all the pharaoh information, which is spread on various sites and topics and usually takes a while to find what you are looking for. The line between the more commonly useful information and the in depth theory crafting is very thin tho. The more you search into a problem, the more complicate it becomes and answers you find come in the shape of a new questions. It will be hard to formulate comprehensive wiki articles and avoid filling it with less commonly useful information. No clear rules applies to the game mechanics and instead everything has its own separate value. Alot of the existing knowledge is also based on opinions not on facts.
posted 06-04-15 05:52 ET (US)     2 / 48  
I respectfully disagree. I feel that almost all of the things the contributors of this forum talk about (or at least, the more experienced among them) are fact. The bazaar example I listed above is fact; the links to all the most useful pharaoh posts present pretty much nothing but solid numbers and facts on game mechanics.

I've been the admin of three wikis and a contributor to over a dozen. I'm confident that I can make a wiki that is easy to read and filled with useful yet uncluttered information. Regardless it looks like no one is reading my wiki so I'm not too concerned with clutter yet; it's my pet project for now.
posted 06-04-15 07:20 ET (US)     3 / 48  
You are right, maybe i exaggerated a bit, but sometimes when i read in depth info, it feels like a theory thats not proven solid. Can you give link to the wiki you refer btw?
posted 06-04-15 08:40 ET (US)     4 / 48  
I would post it here but I'm pretty sure there's some rule against it...it's called Impressions Game Wiki, search it on google if you please.
posted 06-04-15 17:09 ET (US)     5 / 48  
Most people who give answers here are talking about fact. If I'm talking about a playing style or opinion I try to explicitly separate that from factual game mechanics. You may find some topics sound like theory but that is just because, at the time, that was that person's theory on how a particular feature works. If you then read the replies, often you'll see posts approving it or picking up things that were originally missed and this has refined the 'theory' into something more concrete.

You can send me an email or post questions here and I'll do my best. As Brugle probably knows, I usually get 1 thing wrong in most of my replies but I'll do my best to find the source info and refer you to that rather than just rely on me. Really its just a matter of looking around the forum. A good starting place can be to search the names of some of the authors in the Links page. People like Tryhard, Nero Would and StephAmon have other topics that arent on the page but still contain a lot of useful info.

Eagles may soar, but weasels do not get sucked into jet engines
Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, Proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too
posted 06-04-15 18:38 ET (US)     6 / 48  
on the link thin you could add it to your signature. I don't know about recently, but MarvL use to have a link to his website Serpintium in his sig.

"Cain to command. Full barrage, danger close, immediate effect. Don't argue, just do it!"
posted 06-05-15 03:32 ET (US)     7 / 48  
Thanks, evil (can I call you that for short?)!

Let's start with the buildings, since they're one of the more concrete concepts.

The questions I have:

1. Do all production buildings have the same production time? For example, do clay pits, potters, brewers, and weaponsmiths all churn out their goods at the same rate (assuming they're all fully staffed)? If not, what are the various differences?

2. What exactly are the differences of benefits between gardens and statues? I always simply assumed that statues gave more desirability since gardens can be traversed; is that an accurate statement?

3. I mentioned earlier how bazaars only send buyers out to collect goods forty tiles away. Are there any such limitations on other buildings? For example, would a clay pit deliver clay to a potter 45 spaces away?

4. I read somewhere that some meadow farms produce several batches of crops per year. Do all crops produce the same number of batches per year? Do meadow farms produce less than floodplain farms per harvest, and if so how much less (assuming fully staffed, 100% fertility)?

5. I've never actually allowed my enemies to get this far, but do all buildings take the same amount of strikes from enemy soldiers to destroy? Is, say, a pyramid as easy to destroy as a fire station?

6. Are there any comments on buildings and how they work that you would like to add?

[This message has been edited by brainwasher5 (edited 06-05-2015 @ 03:34 AM).]

posted 06-05-15 05:37 ET (US)     8 / 48  
2. What exactly are the differences of benefits between gardens and statues? I always simply assumed that statues gave more desirability since gardens can be traversed; is that an accurate statement?
Hope i dont interfere . I assume you compare small statues and gardens, they should be giving the same amount of desirability, with the difference houses may use gardens space to expand, so if you dont want this to happen, yet buy cheap desirability, small statues can be of use.
About farms,here is a link to research you may find useful.

[This message has been edited by sylvant (edited 06-05-2015 @ 05:57 AM).]

posted 06-05-15 07:05 ET (US)     9 / 48  
Yea Evil is fine. So is Live. Or Vile.
1. Do all production buildings have the same production time? For example, do clay pits, potters, brewers, and weaponsmiths all churn out their goods at the same rate (assuming they're all fully staffed)? If not, what are the various differences?
Production is described comprehensively here including different buildings with different production rates, walker speeds, useful calculations on yearly productions, maximum efficient distances for cartpushers and the effect of temple complexes - Musings on Production and Walker Speeds. The concept that we call 'tick' (think of it like something between a day and a week in game time) is very important for understanding production rates. The discussion of ticks and walkers are pretty good there too so make sure you read all the replies. Once you have that down, check out Farm production rates for how ticks and production rates apply to farms.
2. What exactly are the differences of benefits between gardens and statues?
1x1 statues and gardens have the same effect. I'm not great with desirability and I usually just use one of the many desirability calculators in the downloads to work it out for me. Desirability works by what are called steps. Each ring of tiles extending around the building is a step. So the first step for 1x1 statues and gardens is 3 meaning each tile directly adjacent to the statue or garden gets +3 desirability from the statue/garden. The second step is 2 so each tile that is two tiles away from the statue/garden gets +2 desirability and the third step is 1 so every tile that is three tiles away gets +1 desirability. Not all buildings are so simple and some can extend desirability out 6 tiles with both positive and negative desirability effects at different steps.

I'm sorry if I havent explained it well, I believe a lot of the desirability research came from C3 and it was only a matter of determining the desirability of each building in Pharaoh. I havent been able to find a satisfactory general description either here or in the C3 forum of how desirability works other then specific anomalies such as temple complexes and forts.

Specifically on gardens and statues, statues have different step patterns depending on whether it's a 1x1, 2x2 or 3x3. So 4 1x1s will have a different desirability effect then a 2x2. However gardens will always display a 1x1 effect area. This is regardless of the image of the garden being a 2x2 or 3x3, each garden tile has only a 1x1 desirability step pattern.

Also, to round out a long answer - gardens stop some things from crossing too. Off the top of my head, wild animals cannot cross and military units used to be able to not cross. The military part was fixed in a patch because gardens couldn't be destroys so this was an easy exploit. They may obstruct other walkers from crossing too but I cant remember.
3. Are there any such limitations on other buildings?
Cartpushers have no limit on the distance they can travel. There can be effective limits. One of many examples is described in the first question about the maximum distance of a production building at maximum efficiency.

Service walkers, except engineers, police, tax collectors and magistrates, but including labour seekers, can walk a maximum 326.4 tiles. This is 6 months of walking with walkers traveling 54.4 tiles a month. After that the walker disappears and does not return home. To get this distance requires either manipulation of the road network or the use of long walks.

Regular service walkers, without using those techniques, are described in Ambulomancy, very advanced reading on the game mechanics.

Entertainers spawning from the school going to the venue can travel 215 tiles before disappearing. Entertainers spawning from a venue operate similar to regular service walkers but with several behavioral changes.
4. I read somewhere that some meadow farms produce several batches of crops per year...
See reply 13 of the above link to Farm Production Rates.
Especially the table will show which meadow farms are biannual and annual.

Floodplain farms will be more variable then the simple table because it does depend on the length of the flood and on how fast laborers get to the farm so that's some further variables to consider.

5. I've never actually allowed my enemies to get this far, but do all buildings take the same amount of strikes from enemy soldiers to destroy? Is, say, a pyramid as easy to destroy as a fire station?
I don't know. I dont believe so because a wall will take longer to be destroyed than a palace. I dont know the actual data behind this though.

6. Are there any comments on buildings and how they work that you would like to add?
If I do that, I might as well be writing the wiki . Seriously there is so much to be said about buildings. Info on buildings and walkers would take up at least half the information out there on the game with issues like desirability, walker start and end points, production rates, fire and damage risks. And then there are many specific concepts like the function of work camps, how the desirability of some buildings are somewhat more complex, how storage yards work (both the building and the cart pushers they spawn), monument construction buildings....

A good general starting point is VitruviusAIA's building and housing charts. I think there may be 1 or 2 very small errors in the tables but otherwise will be really helpful to you.

The best thing you can do is use the search function at the bottom of the pharaoh sub-forum and search on specific buildings like 'work camp' or 'fort' or 'shrine'. I've tried to use a lot of key terms you can find discussions about too for this same reason. You'll get a lot of info that way. Then if there's anything you find that isn't explained, your confused on or is just plain missing, you can ask. I'm not trying to discourage you from asking here, just that there is such an abundance of functions, each applying to different buildings, I cant really summarise it all in a nice neat way here. Once you start drilling into the details, buildings and walkers are 2 of the largest and most complex concepts in the game.

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, Proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too

[This message has been edited by evil_live_vile (edited 06-05-2015 @ 07:15 AM).]

posted 06-05-15 07:23 ET (US)     10 / 48  
Thank you both for your useful replies and equally useful links. I think I'll refer to you as "Live", that seems to have a less negative context.

I'll start adding the info to the wiki right away! Some more questions...

1) Do you have a manual? In which case, is the manual mostly accurate? I'm using it as a reference for my wiki.

2) I've heard that Cleopatra added some changes to the game, especially concerning culture. Can you go more in-depth about that?

3) Can you go in depth about disease and city health? What are the differences between disease and malaria and plague? I've heard that plague occurs when overall city health coverage is poor. Is city health impacted solely by how many apothecaries and physicians and mortuaries you build, or how many housing get access to them (so for example, can you just build 9 physicians in the middle of nowhere and not have the plague happen)? Does malaria never occur on desert? What about land that has very light grass?

4) Docks have always given me a headache. Can you explain why it's usually better to have fewer docks, not more? Is there a way to have multiple docks and still have the system running smoothly with no stupid ship AI? What are disconnected docks and their advantages/disadvantages?

5) I notice that when a palace is accepting gold, the gold cart pushers tend to walk as far as they possibly can before depositing their gold (for example, a village palace is a 4x4 building; the cart pusher walks four tiles across the entirety of the palace front before depositing gold, as opposed to stopping at the earliest point). Is this true? Do all buildings work like this?

6) Do you know if somewhere on the internet or Pharaoh Heaven there exists a repository of images for each individual building or walker, particularly if the images are in jpeg or png format? Some pictures would really add life to my wiki, which as it stands is nothing but text.

[This message has been edited by brainwasher5 (edited 06-05-2015 @ 07:30 AM).]

posted 06-05-15 08:26 ET (US)     11 / 48  
4) Docks have always given me a headache. Can you explain why it's usually better to have fewer docks, not more? Is there a way to have multiple docks and still have the system running smoothly with no stupid ship AI? What are disconnected docks and their advantages/disadvantages?
Problem with docks is, their operating staff is not very smart and cart pushers not always choose the closest and most appropriate storage yard to take or leave goods. Another problem is how ships choose a dock to visit. They will visit all available docks, they have no clue which dock has access to goods they trade with and there is a queue ships follow to enter a dock, which often leaves them waiting at the dock until the ship that's turn is comes alongside and trade. Here everything is more detailed and better explained. Disconnected docks are whom road network dont touch with the rest of the city. Its to avoid cart pushers go seek for goods far away, instead the dock area has usually storage yards which are set to "get" goods you export and receive goods you import, which on their turn can be "get" by storage yards from around the city road network. The best scenario id imagine you can operate with more than one dock is if you disconnect those docks and place them not too far from each other. This way cart pushers wont go from one dock to another docks area looking for goods and ships wont travel much crossing between the docks. This technique could be used to grant water trade to two or more isles on the map, so you can effectively export trade goods only separate islands have access.
5) I notice that when a palace is accepting gold, the gold cart pushers tend to walk as far as they possibly can before depositing their gold (for example, a village palace is a 4x4 building; the cart pusher walks four tiles across the entirety of the palace front before depositing gold, as opposed to stopping at the earliest point). Is this true? Do all buildings work like this?
This is most likely result to where the building "door" is. Its better explained by Brugle in this topic, altho its related to random walkers behavior and the npcs you mention are destination.
posted 06-05-15 09:06 ET (US)     12 / 48  
Excellent responses. I'll get back to you when I finish updating the wiki with this information. If you want to help, it's Impressions Games Wiki (I'm not comfortable leaving the link here because I'm afraid of breaking rules and I don't know how to make electronic signatures)
posted 06-05-15 09:09 ET (US)     13 / 48  
1) Do you have a manual? In which case, is the manual mostly accurate? I'm using it as a reference for my wiki.
I dont have one, I got the game a decade after it was released and only got the CD. The GOG version does come with a manual if there is anyone here who has it. However I have heard there are several errors with it so I'd be hesitant on rely on it too much.
2) I've heard that Cleopatra added some changes to the game, especially concerning culture. Can you go more in-depth about that?
The Zoo was introduced as an additional entertainment venue in Cleo. You cannot get culture above 70 in Cleo without a Zoo. The only Pharaoh maps that were changed to allow Zoos are Bubastis and Hetep. All other maps can be completed without one.

I believe the exit points changed in Cleo, however never having had Pharaoh without Cleo, I'm not sure how exactly.

Cleo also has several new maps with new monuments and enemies. The new monuments bought with them new goods - hemp, oil, paint, lamps and marble. They are only available in the new Cleo missions or custom missions. Oil and marble cannot be produced and must be imported. Hemp can be farmed. Paint requires hemp and lamps require imported oil.

Cleo also allows for the first time to play as a foreign nation. In Maritis, you are Roman. The only impact this has is on the military and no other functions change as a result of this.

There are also several bugs associated with monument production and storage yard custom orders. They occur on both Pharaoh and Cleo maps, though I believe they appear far more often on the new maps in Cleopatra.
3) Can you go in depth about disease and city health? What are the differences between disease and malaria and plague?
Disease and malaria are risks just like fire, collapse and crime. Disease is a function of overall city health, the quality of the house and how often a physician/mortuary walker passes by. Malaria depends on how close the house is to a reed marsh, the quality of the house and how often an apothecary walker passes by. Maps with no marsh on them, or not building near the marsh will mean there is no risk of malaria. Having a single house that is close to the marsh will also increase the malaria risk of houses further away even though, without that single house, those further houses would not have any malaria risk.

The number of health buildings will not impact disease or malaria. They are like firehouses where they require the requisite walker to pass within 2 tiles.

Plague depends on city health. If health is poor or below, and you are playing at Easy or higher, there is a risk you will experience a plague. The number of health buildings and the individual risk of disease or malaria of houses do not impact on the likelihood of a plague. The factors of overall city health are not completely known but the quality of houses (water, food...), the % coverage of physicians and mortuaries and the existence of the Altar of Isis contribute in some way. Once a plague occurs, an infected walker will appear at a poorer house and continue walking until he reaches the end of the walk (often passing many houses infecting them all as he passes), or is intercepted by a physician/mortuary walker (or priest if Altar of Isis exists).
4) Docks have always given me a headache...
sylvant is generally right though a few specific issues I want to pick up on. The link sylvant provided is good, reasonable objective advice.
Problem with docks is, their operating staff is not very smart and cart pushers not always choose the closest and most appropriate storage yard to take or leave goods
If you have properly organised your storage yard orders, this problem should be avoided.

The problem with multiple docks is time is spent queuing at multiple docks even when the ship cannot trade any more. Turnover is very important so you want to have storage yards as close to the dock as possible, getting they ships in and out and off the map as quick as you can. Lots of research has gone into showing that, an efficient use of storage yards means a second dock often waists more time with queuing issues then it helps in turnover. There are of course times when a second dock can be good but a really efficient single dock is the generally accepted rule.
Disconnected docks are whom road network dont touch with the rest of the city. Its to avoid cart pushers go seek for goods far away
Disconnected docks are also good because, without a road network to follow, cartpushers will travel diagonally, often cutting their travel time significantly. I would not recommend using multiple docks that are disconnected from each other. I attempted this in my Baki in the downloads and it required a lot of work to achieve. Rather you want to separate your entire dock area from the rest of the city and if you decide that area should contain multiple docks, so be it.
5) I notice that when a palace is accepting gold, the gold cart pushers tend to walk as far as they possibly can before depositing their gold
sylvant's answer is correct except gold cart pushers will use the walker starting points, they do not finish their delivery on a building's corner.
6) Do you know if somewhere on the internet or Pharaoh Heaven there exists a repository of images for each individual building or walker, particularly if the images are in jpeg or png format?
The Pharaoh.heavengames main page has links down the side to images of units and buildings. There were several other fan-run sites that contained info and images but many have been shut down for several years unfortunately.

[This message has been edited by evil_live_vile (edited 06-05-2015 @ 09:10 AM).]

posted 06-05-15 09:44 ET (US)     14 / 48  
The Pharaoh.heavengames main page has links down the side to images of units and buildings. There were several other fan-run sites that contained info and images but many have been shut down for several years unfortunately.
Tobing has mirrors of Grumpus's Which Way to Thebes:

http://www.villages-and-cities.de/extern/grumpus/which_way_to_thebes/index.html

also Which way to Rome (Caesar III)
http://www.villages-and-cities.de/extern/grumpus/which_way_to_rome/

Not sure if everything works as per original, but some of it does.
posted 06-05-15 11:23 ET (US)     15 / 48  
brainwasher5,

I suggest that you read all of the links from the sticky thread Links to Pharaoh Heaven's most useful posts. This should answer many of your questions.

Don't use the manual. It's better than many manuals, but does have some errors.

I'll have some more comments later, but don't have time now.
posted 06-05-15 22:13 ET (US)     16 / 48  
Thank you very much, Brugle.

I'll look through the posts, but in the mean time, if you guys could direct me to more websites with images for Pharaoh (the links you sent me had some, but unfortunately not all, of them), I'd be super grateful.

Also if there's any topics that have hard data that haven't already been linked here or to Pharaoh Heaven's most useful posts, please, I invite you to put them here.

Another question, is there a comprehensive list of the requests for goods for each mission somewhere on the forum or the internet? I see that there are some lists for the missions on the pharaoh heaven walkthroughs, but it's not a complete one.

[This message has been edited by brainwasher5 (edited 06-05-2015 @ 10:34 PM).]

posted 06-05-15 23:19 ET (US)     17 / 48  
Another question, is there a comprehensive list of the requests for goods for each mission somewhere on the forum or the internet?
There's a somewhat random nature to requests. Checkout Nero Would's spoiler maps in the Pharaoh Downloads Misc files for the list of events and triggers on each map.

posted 06-05-15 23:29 ET (US)     18 / 48  
That's unfortunate. Thanks for the info.

I notice that some walkers have lots of quotes, while some don't; I also notice that some have quotes that seem to be glitched or tending towards one sentiment or another. For example, the policeman almost always insists that everyone is friendly (I don't know if that's because I always build blocks with police stations or courthouses if I can help it); the priestess of Bast seems to mostly talk about how little entertainment there is, and the architect seems to talk exclusively about how the buildings are all falling apart.

Are these bugs, or were they intentional? Is there a repository of information where I can find all the quotes and/or sound files?

[This message has been edited by brainwasher5 (edited 06-06-2015 @ 05:44 AM).]

posted 06-06-15 10:34 ET (US)     19 / 48  
I read somewhere that some meadow farms produce several batches of crops per year.
As shown in the links provided by evil_live_vile, meadow farms harvest either once or twice per year.

However, there is a bug that is sometimes caused by loading a saved game more than once. It causes meadow farms to harvest every month (if the cart pusher has returned from the previous delivery) until the time of the next real harvest, after which the farm harvests normally. (The bug can be avoided by restarting Pharaoh before loading a city with meadow farms.)
Cartpushers have no limit on the distance they can travel.
The maximum distance for a destination walk is 499 tiles.
Service walkers, except engineers, police, tax collectors and magistrates, but including labour seekers, can walk a maximum 326.4 tiles.
I suppose you mean "architects" instead of "engineers".

The destination walk part of a service walk can be up to 499 tiles. Most service walkers (except for the ones you listed above) can walk for a moderate distance and then return to their building, for a maximum distance of somewhat over 500 tiles. This is what I call a "normal" long walk.

Architects and tax collectors (and also entertainers) can take what I call a "special" long walk, which can be up to 499 tiles. The "special" long walk ends a moderate distance from the building, where the walker disappears.
I've heard that Cleopatra added some changes to the game, especially concerning culture. Can you go more in-depth about that?
In addition to what evil_live_vile said, Cleopatra provides only 4 city-wide entertainment points from each of its 5 venues. Non-Cleopatra Pharaoh provides 5 city-wide entertainment points from each of its 4 venues. This means that, without a zoo, Cleopatra provides less entertainment. (Which is why Perwadjyt (Buto) can be won at Hard difficulty in Non-Cleopatra Pharaoh but not in Cleopatra.)
Can you explain why it's usually better to have fewer docks, not more?
Sometimes it's better to have a single dock. Sometimes it's better to have multiple docks.

To buy a lot from a city, you want ships (from that city) to enter the map, go to a dock (that isn't too far away), trade quickly, and leave the map. If there are multiple docks the ship may visit all of them. So, if there aren't many trade cities and if docks are efficient, then a single dock may work the best.

However, if there are a lot of ships on the map, then multiple docks may work better. This may be caused by a lot of water trade routes, a long distance from the ship entry point to the docks, or inefficient docks.
Is there a way to have multiple docks and still have the system running smoothly with no stupid ship AI?
Please define "stupid ship AI".

It is certainly possible to have a system run smoothly with multiple docks.
What are disconnected docks and their advantages/disadvantages?
Unfortunately, the term "disconnected dock" is used in two different ways on this forum. One meaning is for a dock to not be connected to the rest of the city. As sylvant explained, that is to prevent dockers from going a long distance.

The other meaning is for multiple docks to not be connected to each other. I have read reports of both success and failure, but have never tried it myself. Whenever I've built multiple docks, they have been close together and connected.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 06-06-2015 @ 11:02 AM).]

posted 06-06-15 15:37 ET (US)     20 / 48  
given the name of your wiki, might I suggest you put placeholders for ceiser, Zeus, and Emperor on the bar, and make announcements about it in there respective forums?

"Cain to command. Full barrage, danger close, immediate effect. Don't argue, just do it!"
posted 06-06-15 17:42 ET (US)     21 / 48  
The destination walk part of a service walk can be up to 499 tiles. Most service walkers (except for the ones you listed above) can walk for a moderate distance and then return to their building, for a maximum distance of somewhat over 500 tiles. This is what I call a "normal" long walk.
Ahh yes, sorry. In my notes I had that as the 'effective' maximum. Services last about 6 months until they need to be re-passed by a service walker. When using long walkers, the effective maximum distance is how far the walker may go in 6 months which is 326.4. Having Bast's TC extends the time services last to 1 year.

Like I said, I was bound to get a few things wrong.

[This message has been edited by evil_live_vile (edited 06-06-2015 @ 05:50 PM).]

posted 06-07-15 00:18 ET (US)     22 / 48  
coolphoton, I'm not comfortable trying to rile up support for other Impressions games at the moment since I'm having difficulty getting momentum for even just one of their games. I'm taking a one step at a time approach. Of course, if you want to be a contributor of the wiki and you want to tackle the task of contacting the other forums (although impressions hardly did exclusively city builder games...to be thorough we'd also need to reach out to lords of magic/realm communities, if they still exist), then please be my guest. Wikis are supposed to be resources anyone can edit, after all.

Regardless, I called it "Impressions Games Wiki" because "Pharaoh Wiki" might confuse viewers who were looking for actual ancient egyptian history.

Brugle, when I talk about "stupid ship A.I", I mean how a ship tends to visit every dock and dock there for a short time, even if they have reached maximum trading capacity. From what I understand this is why it is a bad idea to build multiple docks, as it would create extra ship loitering time with little to no benefit. You mentioned that you have managed to get several blocks (closely together) to work though, can you elaborate on how that works?

Can we also discuss the exact differences among the various difficulty levels? I know that the rate of consumption among food and goods is faster, that buildings cost more to build, and that buildings lose coverage of services faster. Anything else?

[This message has been edited by brainwasher5 (edited 06-10-2015 @ 06:42 PM).]

posted 06-30-15 13:50 ET (US)     23 / 48  
Until today, I didn't read the later part of brainwasher5's last comment--perhaps I just missed it (always a possibility) or perhaps it was added in after I read the beginning.
"stupid ship A.I", I mean how a ship tends to visit every dock and dock there for a short time, even if they have reached maximum trading capacity. From what I understand this is why it is a bad idea to build multiple docks, as it would create extra ship loitering time with little to no benefit.
Visiting another dock after having bought the maximum and sold the maximum does seem stupid, but (at least in my cities) most ships don't buy the maximum and sell the maximum.

For most ships (that could still buy something or sell something), there is a possible advantage to visiting another dock. Some players will build multiple docks that aren't connected to each other and that could buy or sell different things, so going to another dock might let a ship buy or sell something different. (I've never built that way except when fooling around.) Note: In Caesar III, a trade ship will only visit one dock. (I didn't learn that until recently. )

As I said, there are times when having multiple docks is better. One reason is to avoid having a ship skip the dock, which it will do if the dock has been "reserved" (a ship is either at the dock or sailing directly to the dock) and both waiting tiles are occupied by other ships--this problem won't occur if there are no more than 3 trade routes, the dock is efficient, and the dock is close to the ship entry point.
You mentioned that you have managed to get several blocks (closely together) to work though, can you elaborate on how that works
I will assume that you meant "docks" instead of "blocks". Find a place where you can build multiple docks close together, build a road connecting the docks, and put the storage yards that the docks will use close to both docks. As far as I remember, the only time I used multiple docks was in Abedju, although if I ever get around to building Heh it may have 2 docks.
Can we also discuss the exact differences among the various difficulty levels? I know that the rate of consumption among food and goods is faster, that buildings cost more to build, and that buildings lose coverage of services faster.
I don't think that the rate of consumption of food or goods consumed by houses varies between difficulty levels (except that at Very Easy difficulty, a palatial estate eats only 2 foods, which might make a tiny difference to the total consumption because of rounding). The consumption of goods by non-house buildings does change due to difficulty level.

I don't think that the loss of coverage of services changes due to difficulty levels.

A good list of differences between difficulty levels is in reply #1 of Game difficulty?.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 06-30-2015 @ 03:55 PM).]

posted 07-26-15 08:34 ET (US)     24 / 48  
Thank you (I didn't say thank you before because this forum doesn't allow double posting and I wanted to be sure I could post here again, sorry for the rudeness)!

Are all unit prices for all goods the same (for importing and exporting) unless there's a change in price specified? For example, are papyrus 165 deben per 100 units in every mission?

I realize that someone here asked for a link to the wiki a while ago. I am posting it here because no one has stated that it's against forum rules...if it is, please delete it and don't ban me; I have only the best of intentions for improving knowledge of the game.

http://impressionsgames.wikia.com/wiki/Impressions_Games_Wiki

[This message has been edited by brainwasher5 (edited 07-26-2015 @ 08:49 AM).]

posted 07-26-15 09:33 ET (US)     25 / 48  
Are all unit prices for all goods the same (for importing and exporting) unless there's a change in price specified? For example, are papyrus 165 deben per 100 units in every mission?
No. Check the price of papyrus in the NAFTA custom mission.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » A comprehensive guide of all aspects Pharaoh
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames