Please login or register

Pharaoh: Scenario Design
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hexadecimal editing
posted 01-31-03 07:46 ET (US)   
I was on a scenario that looked fine but so classic that I eventually decided to do what I had said for months and some others like Civilis did before: hexadecimal editing, a tool I used extensively in the past to play the Barbarians or launch my spaceship in 1500 BC with Civilization or get the critical items in the bug ridden Might and Magic III.

Hexadecimal editing means using a dedicated software to look at the files as texts written in a language which is based on the 256 combinations to encode a byte. The alphabet is made of 16 letters, 0-9 and A-F. Each byte is so described by two letters, from 00 to FF (16x16=256 combinations).
I had little time to check around the web but followed recommendations from a German site and downloaded WinHex and XV132, the first one allowing to compare files, the second to modify and save them.
Then the work is mostly similar to Civilization’s: you can deal with the MAP files which remain most often constant in size, or the SAV files which size changes every time you make any change. Working on the MAP files is easy, but does not allow much as most options you can set can also be done through the editor itself. Working on the SAV files should allow you nearly anything that does not make the game crash, but it is a challenge. The point is then for a game editor to edit a SAV file, make once for all some changes and upload –say- a game where you have a Ra temple complex but Ra is not in town, or where you have six floodplain farms of peas but peas are then disabled. One of my wishes was to set a map with 5 different temple complexes. Tricky, at least at my current stage.
I can also manipulate the text files but it is dangerous for players who are not used to save and move files around their hard drive. With this method, you submit a game that, at worst, crashes, at best is unique as impossible to arrange using the Cleo editor.
I am so busy in work that I had little time to investigate thoroughly and required tons of printouts to compare data. It is also much easier when you know what you are looking for.

Examples:
Events: I used the NAFTA map to find more about the earthquake: I removed all events except the earthquake. I found the event in A6D9A and could discover some other ones not allowed by the editor. The earthquake is the event 03. Its starting location is in 99FD6. The mummies of Civilis are 1D. I also found “a change of Pharaoh” at 05 and a “Riot” at 04. I did not bother about the change in the dynasty but was interested in the riot. I tried to make it happen playing but saw nothing: perhaps it is disabled, or I did not set the right parameters, or I did not set the game conditions that allow a riot to occur, it might even be in another city. All other events are allowed by the editor.
I did not find another possibility in the city status’ change than the ones known.

Enemies: looking for threads, I noticed a prehistoric dated one from Homegrown who mentioned that we could play with say the Romans. I had never noticed this one in now 3 years of gaming! In one MAP file, I change 9A031 to play 01with-00against the Hyksos. I then played at 99C70 with the 01 Sea People, 02 Hittites, 03 Mitanni, etc. I tried to play the Mitanni against the Hyksos but failed. It seems the first byte is a Yes/No option only. Can I be invaded by zookeepers? No, anything beyond a certain figure is Persian.

Predators: instead of lions or crocs, I managed to get in 99F08 scorpios in a normal climate area (03), lions in a humid place at 03, hippos far away from the water (settings snakes and changing the predator), hyenas at 04, scorpios at 05. I do not see how I could make it for game which also seems to be a Yes/No option.

Monuments and buildings: changing a 01 for a 1E I managed to have the right to build a step pyramid together with a caesareum, and altogether a mastaba that allow me to play with 4 different guilds; but I cannot get the Luxor Temple as it is disabled. I could neither see a bullfight pit. I tried to reenable the Temple Complex after I had set one but failed for now.

Items: In my upload for Buhen, you can see in a SY a stone that does not exist in the game, so I looked for it (however useless it might happen to be in the game). I offered myself anything from 01 grain to 30 Olive oil. Throughout is 15 (this famous stone), 32 is Leopard skin, 34 is Perfume, 25 is troops. I did not manage to receive “800 loads of troops”! I also see the image of the leopard skins offered but cannot get Leopard skins in my SYs as they are not available for trade. I have to look for it in making changes in the World map as it has to be available somewhere in another city for the SYs to mention it. As it is not a raw material, if I set it in my city the game simply ignores it. I could identify all the PICs known but not the one for leopard skins or the funny stone as trade items. Two holes in the list seems to show they were disabled.

Other features: whatever the changes you make, the bytes 99C3C to 99C43 change, even when simply opening the file and saving it under another name. Meaning?

Replies:
posted 01-31-03 07:52 ET (US)     1 / 7  
Now the most boring part: data listing for people interested not to go the whole way through. Please note that I do not always know if the information below is of any real use, in other words I do not necessarily know what I am doing!
PICS (as seen on the World Map in the MAP file)
02 grain
04 meat
06 lettuce
08 peas
0A pomegranates
0C figs
0E fish
10 game
12 straw
14 weapons
16 clay
18 bricks
1A pottery
1C barley
1E beer
20 flax
22 linen
24 gems
26 luxuries
28 wood
2A gold
2C reeds
2E papyrus
30 stone
32 limestone
34 granite
36 nothing
38 chariots
3A copper
3C sandstone
3E oil
40 henne
42 paint
44 lamps
46 marble
48 nothing, etc.
4E frog

gifted items in the events as read in the MAP file
01 grain
02 meat
03 lettuce
04 peas
05 pomegranates
06 figs
07 fish
08 game
09 straw
10 flax
11 linen
12 gems
13 luxuries
14 wood
15 gold
16 reeds
1A granite
1B funny stone
1C chariot
1D copper
1E sandstone
1F oil
20 henne
21 paint
22 lamps
23 marble
24 debens
25 troops
26 jewels (Luxuries)
27 jewels
28 wine L
29 wine
2A Ivory L
2B Ivory
2C ebene L
2D ebene
2E incense L
2F incense
30 olive oil L
31 olive oil
32 Leopard skins L
32 Leopard skins
33 Perfume L
34 Perfume
36 nothing

Events of the MAP file
01 request for grain
02 invasion foreign army
03 earthquake
04 riot
05 change of Pharaoh
06 Problem with a maritime route
07 Problem with a terrestrial route
08 Wage increase
09 wage decrease
0A contaminated water
0B gold mine collapses
0C claypit flooded
0D demand increases
0E demand decreases
0F price increases
10 price decreases
11 KR increases
12 KR decreases
13 city status modified
14 threat message
15 flooding failed
1A storm
1B blood river
1C criminal wave
1D mummies
1E the game crashes
posted 02-01-03 03:18 ET (US)     2 / 7  
I tried to change the icons of the cities not to have all egyptian cities looking the same. Damm, it is not as easy as it may seem. Otherwise I am now OK navigating through the SAV files, locking my searches with chains I know well: I can see what changes after or before. I can now deactivate the buildings, but did not yet try to see if the workers go to the fields when some are set but then disabled.
posted 02-02-03 04:01 ET (US)     3 / 7  
OK, I have now played a game where I am simultaneously building 1 step pyramid and 5 other pyramids. However three only count as for victory. I simply went in the SAV game and changed the three bytes for monuments. I tried all tricks of the same kind to be allowed temple complexes but, for now, I am just able to build a TC for a God who is not in town.
I can also change the victory criteria so change for example a starting Hetep having to build three small pyramids or az Bubastis with a CR requirement of 30.
posted 03-30-03 04:23 ET (US)     4 / 7  
I faced an unexpected problem: I wanted to set the building of 3 different pyramids, one with bricks, one with stones, one with limestone. But I failed for now as the game considers all pyramids on the map as from the same period. If I set a limestone pyramid then modify even the SAV file to make a change to a bricks pyramids, the previously set pyramids are converted into bricks pyramids. It is a pity. To my surprise again, but it is similar, I could not build altogether a mastaba and a pyramid. I am missing one data somewhere I could falsify... maybe the Era, if I can find it.
posted 07-18-03 14:32 ET (US)     5 / 7  
On a remark of the Mystery Stone type, I believe that it is Alabaster. For if you have the Buggi File Editor you can see that one of the buildings listed is "Alabaster Quarry."

I do not know all the Monuments that have been disabled, but if an alabaster quarry has been incoded that mus mean that a monument of some type must use that as one of its building materials, if anyone has some insight on this I would be glad, and thankful to know.

I would also like to ask that if all of the buildings are in the coding of the game and can be built? (i.e. The version of the game that I have will not allow me to build such objects as I have seen on screenshots from, say, the german version. Also from screenshots from "Which way to Thebes?," If you look at the screenshots from the "Speacil Orders" screens you can see that you can set the goods to be held at increments of 400 in storage yards, etc..., this I also can not do.)(This is in reference to the Hex editing.)

Furthermore, if you have ever played Red Alert, or one of the Commmand and Conquer games you may be aware of The Mods available for download. These allow on to build units or buildings that would otherwise not be able to be built either because they were left out by the game designer and whose coding was reactivated by the mod, or the mod maker made the unit all on his own. The mods also can allow new features to the game. If anyone knows if this, or something similar can be done to Pharaoh, or has been done please tell me, Thanks.

Long Live Locke!!!!!
posted 07-19-03 11:03 ET (US)     6 / 7  
Yes, SmartKid, it is alabaster, albatre in french. I managed to see and handle a bit Leopard skins but failed to make it the whole way through. For the gardens of Babylon, The Colossus, etc. I do not think they are left anywhere: I tried to get them but did not even have a red or green shadow of any kind. The bullfight pit and some other features in the .txt files seem also unavailable.
I would have loved personnally to put on a map a new building, even if useless...
posted 01-21-06 13:22 ET (US)     7 / 7  
Reading the Pharaoh_txt file I found that the Riot/Revolt is linked to a Gladiator revolt in CIII. I tried scripting the event, and building a mini-city with all the etertainment buildings but that didn't work. Also the event that made your computer crash. I think it is a skirmish with barbarians.

Also, TheSmartKid, there are other coded buildings unavialiable; native huts, fields and centers, as well as mud and brick defensive structures.

[This message has been edited by djb13 (edited 01-21-2006 @ 01:31 PM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Scenario Design » Hexadecimal editing
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames