You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Children of the Nile: Game Help
Moderated by Jayhawk

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I Officially Love this Game!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-10-04 11:42 ET (US)   
3 Thumbs up from me (due to a genetic malformation on my left hand )

I am soooo close to finishing Nekhen Just have to hold my prestige a little longer.
It's an ugly city (but I had so little room... excuses) but it is stable and everyone is happy. About to start on my Cult Temple, a little overdue

Managed to squeeze it all into to the start area, although the cult temple is at the top of the hill to the west. That sucker is big.

I have so much to learn still... mainly how trade and taxes really work and detail things like how much bread a bakery can bake in a year.
I am starting to watch families and I'm sure I'll do more of that as I get a little better at the day-to-day stuff and have a bit more 'leisure' time for myself It's tough being Pharaoh

Great game! Congrats to Tilted Mill!!!

"Quid Me Vexari?" - Alfredvs E. Nevmanvs
Replies:
posted 11-10-04 12:47 ET (US)     1 / 37  
Welcome to the elite group who love CotN and are struggling to come to grips with it Think you will find that bakers don't always bake the same amount of bread
posted 11-10-04 13:42 ET (US)     2 / 37  
I’m glad you are enjoying CotN.

I finished Nekhen a couple of nights ago, the first day that I got the game. For purely aesthetic reasons I decided to build the main part of the city on top of the bluff overlooking the river (where you placed the Cult Temple). The farming community was in the valley below along the river. I also placed the brick makers, papyrus makers and a field of mastabas in the lower city.

I think that it looked pretty good when it was finished. I hope to have a few screenshots posted soon.

Vaia
posted 11-10-04 14:13 ET (US)     3 / 37  
Nekhen is indeed a scenario with a very appealing terrain. Like VAIA, I built the rich and educated on top of the hill, with my fabolous palace overlooking the Nile, while the less fortunate would live in the valley. I used the desert south of the valley as a "Valley of Kings".

Glad to hear you like the game, keep it up, soon enough you'll have too many educated people and no jobs for them!

posted 11-10-04 14:27 ET (US)     4 / 37  
A preview:

Vaia
posted 11-10-04 17:49 ET (US)     5 / 37  
I can't wait for Amazon to ship mine.

]Adder
They lie!
posted 11-10-04 21:05 ET (US)     6 / 37  
Wonderful city their VitruviusAIA! It is nice with the cult temple way up high on the bluff. It is fun checking the view from the buildings. It is stunning how you can view your creation from so many different vantage points.

Don't forget those nice trees, parks and stuff you can add for free. I have been playing around with them and they are a lot of fun.

posted 11-10-04 23:47 ET (US)     7 / 37  
Yours looks so nice and organized, Vaia! I'm not that far in the game yet, but mine is a bit more... untidy.

.-•°•-.-• Kester •-.-•°•-.
•-.-•°•-.-• deviations .-•°•-. flickr .-•°•-. gamertag •-.-•°•-.-•
.-•°•-.-• if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } •-.-•°•-.
posted 11-11-04 00:05 ET (US)     8 / 37  
Got tired of waiting for EB games to get their act together so I just went out and bought it Boy do I love this game

Vaia great looking city

posted 11-11-04 02:15 ET (US)     9 / 37  
Nice shot, Vaia

That's how I built my Nekhen ... but sadly not quite as tidily or grandly. I always remember some vital building too late and have to tack it on somewhere which rather spoils the beautiful symmetrical designs in my head

posted 11-11-04 02:55 ET (US)     10 / 37  
Very nice, not just the city but the photograph itself too .

I usually don't plan my cities that much, I like it when it gets crowded and messy . But I always enjoying seeing well-organized cities.

posted 11-11-04 11:02 ET (US)     11 / 37  
A peasant’s view of the city:

posted 11-11-04 11:03 ET (US)     12 / 37  
Wow, both great shots.

I can't wait.

]Adder
They lie!
posted 11-11-04 11:16 ET (US)     13 / 37  
Good shots - except for the rectangular parts in the graphics, that's a bit of a pity.
posted 11-11-04 13:21 ET (US)     14 / 37  
Which rectangular parts?
posted 11-11-04 13:54 ET (US)     15 / 37  
I think he might mean the building corners?

]Adder
They lie!
posted 11-11-04 14:47 ET (US)     16 / 37  
No I mean that parts of the coastline at the farms is a straight line and so is the hill top - a set of steps in fact. That's something I'd like to see smoothed out.

Apart from that kind of thing I love it.

posted 11-11-04 16:21 ET (US)     17 / 37  
The steps at the top of the hill are a result of the lower resolution of the posted image. It doesn’t look like that ‘in game’. Look at the bluff along the river in the first image I posted. That is a better representation, but still lower quality than the actual game.

Vaia
posted 11-11-04 16:25 ET (US)     18 / 37  
Feeling better now. Thanks.
posted 11-12-04 02:13 ET (US)     19 / 37  
Wow VAIA! Great city! I am sooooooooooooo jealous!

I've pre-ordered the game and had it delivered to my aunt in the US and she will bring it over when they come for Christmas (delivery charges to this part of the world are ridiculous). Anyway, so I have a month to wait still (which gives me time to get a computer that will be able to run the game ). So I am limiting myself to looking at screenshots - I don't want to read the threads that ask and answer game questions (I think that would make the suspense way to much to cope with).

My question is: Is it too early to say I love this game?

And the neural alignment of Ovidius is also very strange - Niempie
posted 11-12-04 03:23 ET (US)     20 / 37  

Quote:

My question is: Is it too early to say I love this game?

I'd say you're a bit late . CotN is a nice christmas present, you're lucky with your aunt .

posted 11-12-04 07:55 ET (US)     21 / 37  
Never too early to say you lobe the game Once you get it you'll love it even more
posted 11-12-04 22:11 ET (US)     22 / 37  
I'm replaying Nekhen over and over.It's a good map and a good learning tool. I was initially upset that the game did not come with a sandbox, till I realized that Nekhen is pretty much a sandbox

I just 'beat' it on Hard. I'll be playing it over a few times, this time aiming for a city that is more organic, neighborhoods that seem that they could be real.

Once I figured I have learned everything I can from it, I'll move on to the next mission, Iunet I think will be my next one.

"Quid Me Vexari?" - Alfredvs E. Nevmanvs
posted 11-13-04 00:41 ET (US)     23 / 37  
It does have sandbox maps they are under scenarios.
posted 11-14-04 14:00 ET (US)     24 / 37  

Quote:

delivery charges to this part of the world are ridiculous

DO NOT TALK TO ME ABOUT DELIVERY CHARGES!!!

OR IMPORT TAXES!!!

OR CREDIT-CARD CURRENCY EXCHANGE CHARGES!!!

Suffice to say that, $95 later (!!!) I am now the proud owner of Children of the Nile!

So was it worth it???

Do chickens lay eggs!?!

What an AWESOME game!!!

Just started Nekhen. Could I ask for the tiniest spoiler - does the huge area on the west bank designated "lowlands" ever flood in ultra-high tides? If it does, I'm in big trouble... sort of entire-city-gets-drowned-and-everyone-dies-in-mortal-agony sort of trouble...

"You're just jealous because the little voices talk to me!" - Sara Rain Morgan
posted 11-14-04 14:05 ET (US)     25 / 37  
Winter Pharaoh a few tips if the land is dark brown it's flood plain/prone, another tip straight from the TM development team start your city where the camera opening shot is at the start of a mission Oh yes ctrl-g will give you grid lines on the map
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Children of the Nile: Game Help » I Officially Love this Game!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames