You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Caesar IV: Game Help
Moderated by Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Caesar IV is on the way...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 08-18-05 15:14 ET (US)   
Replies:
posted 08-18-05 15:45 ET (US)     1 / 48  
YAY!
posted 08-18-05 15:59 ET (US)     2 / 48  
Interesting

I hope it will be like C3 and Pharaoh because, honestly, I have never finished Zeus, Emperor nor Children of the Nile.

I simply got bored with them before completion due to the lack access to labour.

I really/really hope they will bring them back (or something simular, maybe unable to build industry longer than a certain distanse from houses )

posted 08-18-05 16:16 ET (US)     3 / 48  
This is a very pleasant surprise! I had thought by all accounts that the Caesar franchise was at its end.

Has there been any general indication what the system requirements will be for this game?

I wonder if those who have Children of the Nile could comment about that game and how it compares to Caesar3. Maybe that would give some reasonable forecast as to what the new C4 will be like as far as gameplay. I hope it's not just a simplistic game with catchy 3D eye candy.

I've returned recently to playing C3 again, and I still admire its classic elegance in both the artwork and the gameplay. The new C4 will have a high bar to meet. I just hope it does it, and well.

posted 08-18-05 16:17 ET (US)     4 / 48  
Haven't looked at the site yet so I can't express anything appart from my happiness.

Czech Centurian
"Most Checks are written, I'm a Czech that was born."

Save Water, Drink Beer

posted 08-18-05 16:27 ET (US)     5 / 48  

Quote:

I hope it's not just a simplistic game with catchy 3D eye candy.

Unfortunally that is exactly how I felt about Children of the Nile - I so much hope this will be better.

Unfortunally this quote from the new site does somehow suggest that you will have little or no control of your walkers (much like in COTN):

Many of the ambitious goals for the genre were simply not possible in the earlier generations of the series. For example, though Caesar III and Pharaoh filled the city's streets with dozens of units, none of them were able to act intelligently - sure it looked like a real city to the casual observer, but these mindless "walkers" imposed a hard cap on both the level of immersion and the feeling of control and predictability that players need. In Caesar IV, each citizen is able to evaluate his or her duties and needs, and then act upon them appropriately.

[This message has been edited by Nimlot Persson (edited 08-18-2005 @ 04:35 PM).]

posted 08-18-05 17:56 ET (US)     6 / 48  
This is very exciting news
Ok folks let's keep in the mind TM has had a year to listen to player suggestions which I'm sure they will include in C4 Having said that don't look for more control (micromanagement) and labor walkers just weren't realistic.
Personally I like CotN it wasn't perfect but was a good start on a new type of city builder game
posted 08-18-05 18:41 ET (US)     7 / 48  
Ooh, definitely something to keep an eye on.

Time to whip out the old C3 and give it a whirl to get in the roman mood.

posted 08-18-05 19:24 ET (US)     8 / 48  
Wow! Incredible and great news Can't wait to hear/see more about it.
posted 08-18-05 23:30 ET (US)     9 / 48  
I've come out of nine million year old woodwork, just for this.

Whoohoo, C4!

The new graphics seem spiffy and nice. They've also decentralized a few things, so now houses send people to market rather than market lady. Supposedly we don't have to have "no more intersections" to prevent people from wandering out like crazy.

Though I'm surprised my handle hasn't been deleted already...

posted 08-19-05 02:05 ET (US)     10 / 48  
This was indeed a great surprise! I never expected the Caesar series to be revisited so soon, or ever. I was thiking that the next game from Tilted Mill would try a different civilization, but well, Caesar 3 is still my favourite city building game and I'm not here to complain

I played CotN a lot, and while many of it's new concepts left me desiring for better (like the usueless roads), the game had a lot going for it, and I'm sure the guys at TM listened for the fans.

Now it's the waiting game... 1 year to go.

posted 08-19-05 03:43 ET (US)     11 / 48  
It seems Tilted Mill have come under the wing of Vivendi/Sierra, who own the rights to make Caesar games, and that is how it is possible to make this new game. Not unlike the arrangement between Vivendi and Blizzard North that produced the Diablo series.

The site says they will retain the elements that made CaesarIII the huge success it was. They are doing away with walker access and going with something similar to what COTN uses. I hope they don't blow it here. The game will not work if it's a case of sitting for very long periods waiting for things to happen. Player input is the key to the playability of C3.

One element from C3 that I really hope they emulate is its famously low system requirements. I don't expect to be able to play C4 on a Pentium 120 but I would hope that it will run on a machine of 1,000mhz with any of the commonly available graphics cards. COTN was a bit of a worry in this regard, especially as your city grew larger. My machine (1150mhz, 512mb RAM, g-force 4) will not run COTN properly, even though it ran the demo sort of OK.

posted 08-19-05 04:37 ET (US)     12 / 48  
Woohoooo, isn't that what we have been screaming for sinse 1999.

Have anyone noted they have implemented diagonal roads?

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the body. Pr. 16:24
posted 08-19-05 04:43 ET (US)     13 / 48  
Wow, this is good news... I was afraid that Citybuilding in its current genre would just fade away and die. I never really played C3 in anger, although I have it I came in on Pharaoh so this will be something really refreshing!

I just hope & pray that the powers that be have listened and learned about previous constructive critisism with the last release...a few tweaks, a bit less sim style and we need much better graphics... give us that and you'll be onto a sure fire winner. (imho)

Must admit the screenshot look really good.

The master of making easy look hard ---- What's wrong with Scooby Doo boxers?
Cockfosters visitor via a stunt cannon ---- Fan of the Great Cornholio Tee shirt dance
Coyote ugly beauty, parrott mangler & all round good egg ---- Have leather pants will travel
posted 08-19-05 06:47 ET (US)     14 / 48  
:bounce:

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
Support your local HeavenMy RecommendationsEXCOHALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 08-19-05 07:52 ET (US)     15 / 48  
Oooooooooooh I can't wait!
posted 08-19-05 10:57 ET (US)     16 / 48  
Whoa, first thing I see after coming back is such good news! To think how we all kept telling people that there would never be a C4, and here it is.

I checked out the screenies, and I must say it looks like a totally different kind of gameplay. I can only hope that they don't make it too revolutionary and different from C3. One of the features that I'm already not sure I would like is the small sprites. They scaled down the size of your citizens to be more realistic. I find that the city in the screenshots lack the feeling of liveliness and activity because of this...

Still, being a fan of C3, this is going to be top on my wanted list.

posted 08-19-05 11:29 ET (US)     17 / 48  
The screenshots do indeed look very nice, with a touch of class and elegance. Very pleasing on the eyes.

As for gameplay, apparently this will be much different from C3 in the details, although in the broad sense I suppose the players will have the same kinds of overall goals.

I share goodsquad's concern about system requirements. On the other hand, C4 just might be the thing that finally makes me come out of the dark ages in computing equipment.

posted 08-19-05 11:56 ET (US)     18 / 48  
Wooo! I was considering returning to CBH anyway, and now I have no excuse! This game looks amazing - decentralisation and smaller sprites are two things I've always felt C3 lacked. As for the other features - well, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm assuming there's going to be a demo sometime vaguely soon - looking forward to that

If being extreme was wrong, then I wouldn't be perfect

- JUPITER 2000

Lost on the Road to Rome? Follow THE APPIAN WAY

posted 08-19-05 11:56 ET (US)     19 / 48  
oooo I didn't notice this forums.. I posted about this in the C3 forums :|

Anyway yeah the screens are cool (although nowhere near as impressive as some of the new RTSs out there). The music for download on the site is really great.

I noticed there's not many people walking around Why is that..
Ooo I hope we have more control over the military now

I jsut seen the trailer too.. Why can't the graphics be as good as the trailer! *crys*

posted 08-19-05 12:29 ET (US)     20 / 48  
I think the smaller amount of walkers is partly an illusion. They're smaller, so they take up less road space.

If being extreme was wrong, then I wouldn't be perfect

- JUPITER 2000

Lost on the Road to Rome? Follow THE APPIAN WAY

posted 08-19-05 13:45 ET (US)     21 / 48  

Quoted from Jupiter 2000:

I'm assuming there's going to be a demo sometime vaguely soon - looking forward to that

Well, since the game is scheduled for release Fall 2006, it'll probably be at least a year before we can expect a demo.

Did anyone else find the easter egg(s) at the C4 site?

Angel Pecunia | HG Downloads programmer and techie
Caesar IV Heaven | Children of the Nile Heaven | Citadel of Poseidon (Zeus/Poseidon) | The Great Wall (Emperor)
posted 08-19-05 14:51 ET (US)     22 / 48  
I got these great news by email from CBC forums this morning!

Just after that, a neighbour hit my telephone line with his tractor and I was offline most of the day! Naturally, when there is something really important going on... :-(

The screenshots look great! I really wish the game would be closer to good old CIII and Pharaoh than other CB games. I havent played Zeus or Emperor for a long time and played CoTN only a couple of months, so what Nimlot says goes for me, too.

Also the release of CoTN in Europe several months later was really annoying. One important aspect of gaming is the discussion on the game forums and this time gamers in Europe were totally out of it. Id hate to see this happen again.

posted 08-19-05 18:28 ET (US)     23 / 48  
WHAT great news. I just fervently hope this will not become a sort of "Children of the Tiber" kind of thing. CotN was some blooper.

But it ain't necessarily so.
posted 08-19-05 18:29 ET (US)     24 / 48  
Great news! I'm on my way to the Tilted Mill site to read more about it.
posted 08-19-05 20:15 ET (US)     25 / 48  
Hey how come the newsie didnt seem to excited?
It was written as if it was something that happens often...

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 08-19-2005 @ 08:16 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar IV: Game Help » Caesar IV is on the way...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames