Please login or register

Technical Forum
Moderated by Jayhawk

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Cleopatra and XP
posted 06-11-02 12:05 ET (US)   
I have just acquired a new machine with Windows XP. Pharaoh installs and runs fine; Cleopatra installs but won't run. I have tried everything I can find on this and every other forum. If I use no compatibility or Win98 or 95, I get the message, 'unable to load FT_THUNK (Kernel32.dll)'. If I use Win2000 or NT compayibility, the hard drive just whirrs for a bit, then carries on if I had not told it to do anything. From other sources, I gather this might be NTFS incompatibility. Can this problem be solved?
Replies:
posted 06-11-02 13:18 ET (US)     1 / 17  
There are a number of people running Cleo on NTFS systems so don't think that is the problem My suggestion would be to uninstall Cleo and Pharaoh making sure that you get the registry entries, and clean the Windows temp file. Scan disk, defrag, shut down as many services/processes. Install Pharaoh, reboot, defrag and clean windows temp file, check Pharaoh to see that it plays. Shut down as many processes/services install Cleo and any patches available for Cleo. See if you can play. Hope this helps I'm sure Cherub Vaia will be by I'm pretty sure he's running both games on an NTFS partition

"I have met the enemy, he is us". Pogo
posted 06-11-02 17:53 ET (US)     2 / 17  
Now you see why I'm going back to 98SE, Mouse , 'cause the XP hype was just that. A lot of hype! 98SE was without a doubt the best thing out there. But I guess "eye candy" has a market, huh?

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
"It isn't bad for you if you won't live long enough for it to have any effect." - Brad4321
"But it would be hell of a lot harder to do a drive by shooting with a steak knife, don't you think?" - Messiah
"I always shoot my sense of humor before coming here." - Von
"And what's wrong with sucking? At least someone gets pleasure from it!" - ArcticWind7
posted 06-11-02 18:33 ET (US)     3 / 17  
OM XP is nice and stable because there is so much that can't work with it

posted 06-12-02 00:00 ET (US)     4 / 17  
I see your point. If nothing works with it, nothing can go wrong,huh?

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
"It isn't bad for you if you won't live long enough for it to have any effect." - Brad4321
"But it would be hell of a lot harder to do a drive by shooting with a steak knife, don't you think?" - Messiah
"And what's wrong with sucking? At least someone gets pleasure from it!" - ArcticWind7
posted 06-12-02 01:16 ET (US)     5 / 17  
Actually I shouldn't dog XP since I haven't had a problem with it But don't use much either

posted 06-12-02 11:09 ET (US)     6 / 17  
”Hope this helps I'm sure Cherub Vaia will be by I'm pretty sure he's running both games on an NTFS partition.”

Actually no, I run Pharaoh/Cleo on a 98SE system. But, I do have another system with XP installed on in. I will try to install Pharaoh/Cleo on the XP system tonight. (I should have done this a long time ago since so many people are having trouble installing Cleo on XP.)

Hopefully I have some answers for JohnA tomorrow.

Vaia
posted 06-12-02 13:15 ET (US)     7 / 17  
rofl lol Vaia thought for sure you had already done that I have Pharaoh/Cleo installed on XP just not NTFS good old Fat 32 for me

posted 06-12-02 14:17 ET (US)     8 / 17  
What are the advantages/disadvantages of NTFS or FAT32? I'm on FAT 32, just curious.

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
posted 06-12-02 15:00 ET (US)     9 / 17  
”What are the advantages/disadvantages of NTFS or FAT32? I'm on FAT 32, just curious.”

Look Here. (Their opinion, not mine.)

Vaia
posted 06-13-02 00:41 ET (US)     10 / 17  
Thanks, Vaia , although I'm still a little confused. But at least now I know more about what confuses me!

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
posted 06-13-02 15:07 ET (US)     11 / 17  
I have successfully installed Pharaoh and Cleopatra with Windows XP and the NTFS File System.

First, prepare your system as mouse described in Reply #1. Make sure to uninstall all previous versions of Pharaoh and/or Cleopatra. To do this, select Start/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs. Search through the list. If you find either (or both) of these programs, click on them and select ‘Remove’.

Clean out the Windows Temp file, run Scandisk and Disk Defragmenter. Turn off your computer (don’t select ‘restart’). When you turn the computer back on, you are ready to install Pharaoh.

1) Put in the Pharaoh CD. When the install menu appears, select ‘Quit’. You want to use the Compatibility Wizard instead.

2) Start/All Programs/Accessories/Program Compatibility Wizard.

3) Follow these steps when the Compatibility Wizard starts: Next/I want to use the program in the CD-ROM/Next/MS Windows 2000/Next/Disable Visual Themes/Next

4) Pharaoh Install Screen will appear. (The graphics will be low resolution, but that is ok. The graphics in the game will be better.) Follow the install instructions using the following options: Full Install, Check for updates-No and ‘Yes I want restart my computer now’ at the end of the install.

Start Pharaoh to make sure everything is running ok.

Put in the Cleopatra CD and repeat steps 1 through 4, selecting the same options.

Start Cleopatra to make sure everything is running ok.

Download and install the Cleopatra Patch.

Restart your machine, and run Cleopatra to see if every thing is still ok.

Hopefully, you can play now. If not, at least we know that the problem is specific to your system and that it is not a Pharaoh/Cleopatra-XP/NTFS problem. If you are still having problems, post back here and we will provide additional suggestions. If Cleopatra does run, post back and let us know that too.

Vaia

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 06-13-2002 @ 03:15 PM).]

posted 06-14-02 14:30 ET (US)     12 / 17  
Thanks for your suggestions, Mouse and Vaia. It'll probably take me a few days to do everything but I will be back to report.

John

posted 06-14-02 19:31 ET (US)     13 / 17  
I decided to do it all straight away. I am afraid I get exactly the same result as before: Pharaoh runs just fine, but Cleopatra gives the message, 'unable to load FT_THUNK (Kernel32.dll)'. Why should Paraoh run, but not Cleopatra? Incidentally, I have also installed Zeus, and that won't run, either. I must have installed getting on for a hundred games of various vintages on this machine and those are the only two that won't run. There is at least one other post on the Internet from someone who can't get Pharaoh or Zeus to run under XP - with exactly the same error message as I'm getting - and a couple quoting other games.

There is a fair amount of technical stuff about FT_THUNK on the Internet, which is a bit beyond me, I am afraid. I gather it is a native NT dll that has something to do with the conversion from 16- to 32-bit. I also gather that other software installed on your computer can screw up NT dlls. Whether this has any relevance, I haven't the faintest idea.

Thanks for taking an interest, and any further suggestions would be much appreciated. I am not that bothered about most of my games, but Cleo I do care about.

John

posted 08-27-02 18:49 ET (US)     14 / 17  
I'm getting the same trouble as JohnA - exactly. Pharaoh runs fine, but Cleo gets that FT_Thunk error. I'll try VitruviusAIA's suggestion tomorrow, to see if it works for me.

BTW, it seems to be exactly the same error - all the other games I've tried work perfectly. I haven't tried Zeus though.

Will post tomorrow.....

Rich

posted 08-27-02 20:00 ET (US)     15 / 17  
Please take the problem to Mr Villa's thread Bring up old threads doesn't really help us to solve your problem

posted 04-23-03 11:37 ET (US)     16 / 17  
I have XP Pro and NTFS. I had the exact same problem: I could play Pharao, could install Cleopatra, but it wouldn't start. I just told XP to run the game under Windown 2000 compability, and it works fine now.

Go to the properties for the shortcut to the game and change the compability there. No need to copy files back and forth.

posted 05-04-03 03:51 ET (US)     17 / 17  
Your August Sirs (gender neutral mouse),

I run Cleo and Pharaoh under XP fine. I have partitioned my hard drive using Partition Magic. The games are on a FAT 32 partition and all new software and the operating system is on NTFS. Windows XP loves this! Setting this up is extremly easy to do with Partition Magic, I highly recomend this software to you (as does Microsoft in their Knowledge Base).

I got P-Magic because it comes with Boot Magic and I wanted to dual boot my machine back to Win-98 for CAD work. I had discovered that I was lied to... again about the "compatibility feature" in XP. Only simple Win-98 programs (that probably would have run without compatibility in XP) will respond to compatibility correctly.

Windows XP rocks! Check out the new Media Player, with voice comand. It is so cool.

Regards,

J a c k N o i r

[This message has been edited by Jack Noir (edited 05-04-2003 @ 06:23 PM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Technical Forum » Cleopatra and XP
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames