Please login or register

Technical Forum
Moderated by Jayhawk

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Emperor/Pharoah conflict
posted 09-13-03 23:25 ET (US)   
I've been playing emperor for a few months now. I got pharoah today to try it out. I noticed when I installed it it uninstalled something...I assumed it was the demo. But now I can't play Emperor. It removed part of it...like the exe. The saved games were still there so I moved them and tried to reinstall Emperor. It pops up an unistall confirmation too. Once I click ok it starts removing Pharoah. If I cancel it it just stops. Anyone else seen this? I'm running Winxp pro.
Replies:
posted 09-14-03 03:22 ET (US)     1 / 11  
Hi Frostbyte

I have an idea there can be a problem with Emperor & Pharaoh if P's part of the Great Empires bundle ... but I'm not sure, so I'll move this to tech help where someone should be able to help you.

posted 09-14-03 04:35 ET (US)     2 / 11  
If your version of Pharaoh comes from the Great Empires Collection II, this is a known problem. A workaround by one of the moderators on the Sierra forum is the following:

Quoted from Keith Heitmann:

There is an installation conflict between the US version of Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom and the US Pharaoh gold disk in Sierra's Great Empires Collection II. This describes the easiest way to work around this problem.

1. Install either Emperor or Pharaoh Gold (either one is fine, the order is not important)
2. Find the directory entitled "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information". There should be a file folder named as follows in that folder: "{821DABD6-26F2-49E5-AE55-40A589ADBE6D}"
3. If Emperor is installed, rename this file to "Emperor{821DABD6-26F2-49E5-AE55-40A589ADBE6D}" by adding "Emperor" tothe beginning of the file name.
4. If Pharaoh is installed, rename this file to "Pharaoh{821DABD6-26F2-49E5-AE55-40A589ADBE6D}" by adding "Pharaoh" to the beginning of the file name.
5. Install the other program (Emperor or Pharaoh), whichever one is not already installed.
6. A new file "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{821DABD6-26F2-49E5-AE55-40A589ADBE6D}" will just have been created. Rename this file by adding a prefix of "Emperor" or "Pharaoh" to the beginning of the file name, depending on which program was installed in Step 5.

To uninstall Emperor:

1. Rename "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\Emperor{821DABD6-26F2-49E5-AE55-40A589ADBE6D}" to "{821DABD6-26F2-49E5-AE55-40A589ADBE6D}".
2. Click on the Emperor uninstall shortcut in the Start Menu.

To uninstall Pharaoh:

1. Rename "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\Pharaoh{821DABD6-26F2-49E5-AE55-40A589ADBE6D}" to "{821DABD6-26F2-49E5-AE55-40A589ADBE6D}".
2. Click on the Pharaoh uninstall shortcut in the Start Menu.

Angel Pecunia | HG Downloads programmer and techie
Caesar IV Heaven | Children of the Nile Heaven | Citadel of Poseidon (Zeus/Poseidon) | The Great Wall (Emperor)
posted 09-14-03 13:15 ET (US)     3 / 11  
Thanks for the info....its working now. It wasn't from the Great Empires, but it was the gold version with Cleo included. One thing that should be added is that you need to change that filename back to install the Emperor patch or it won't detect the game on the system.
posted 09-21-03 19:08 ET (US)     4 / 11  
Hi Folks,

After having suffered through nearly a month of being w/o a PC (my old PII gave up the ghost after 5yrs), I'm finally back online with a new computer. It's a P4, 2.20GHz, 80GB, flat screen with alot of bells and whistles. Anyway, what this new PC allows me to do is to install all of my favorite CB games and many others. I happened to pick up a copy of the Great Empires Collection several months ago so I thought I'd go ahead and install those games instead of my old original copies. Everything was going great until I installed Pharaoh...then Emperor, that's when I experienced exactly the same problem as Frostbyte, so I decided to visit the friendliest forum on the net to ask for help and lo and behold there's already a thread addressing this very issue...Thanks Pecunia for that indepth explanation, that was precisely what I was looking for. Problem is, when I went into my "Program Files" I can't find the "InstallShield Installation Information" file folder...any ideas where else to look?

Boy...I can't tell you how much I missed this place...it's great to be back.

StarKey

posted 09-21-03 20:21 ET (US)     5 / 11  
Try search on your computer for Installshield in Start--> Search

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the body. Pr. 16:24
posted 09-22-03 07:13 ET (US)     6 / 11  
I think (but am not sure) that the Installshield folder is a hidden one. You'll have to set Windows Explorer to display hidden files and folders. As I'm on a Unix machine now, I can't check how to do that ...
posted 09-22-03 08:02 ET (US)     7 / 11  
Thanks for that Pecunia
I can confirm the InstallShield folder is a hidden folder... sorry I didn't think at that (I always makes sure I can see everything) and as long as the folder is hidden you can't see it even if you search for it.

After marking your C-drive in the left side of Explorer you turn on show hidden files in Windows Explorer --> Show --> Foldersettings --> 'Show' pane.
Remove Check at hide file extensions for known filetypes (makes it easier to open the correct file if there are 2 with same name + makes it more difficult to send you a virus using email as you now can see the full filename on attachments to mails)
Under Hidden files mark 'Show all files'

Click the button 'As this folder' at the top of the window.
Click 'Apply'
Click OK all the way out.
You should now be able to see the folder (+ some more files and folders you didn't know exists)

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the body. Pr. 16:24

[This message has been edited by Proconsul Creaticus Dania (edited 09-22-2003 @ 08:02 AM).]

posted 09-22-03 13:08 ET (US)     8 / 11  
Well, after numerous attempts and mild frustration I was finally able to find and "unhide" the Installshield Installation" folder. Sorry PCD, but I was unable to follow your instructions on how to do this, however, I was able to locate the folder using the search feature by expanding the search to look for hidden folders and files and located it that way. From that point on it was a snap to "unhide". Thanks for you help and suggestions both to you and to Pecunia.

I think what I've decided to do however is to not install the Pharaoh program from the "Great Empires II" disk and instead reinstall my old original disk and D/L the patch. I'll then install another Pharaoh into a different folder and add Cleo to that. I had at one time a dual install and rather enjoyed having that option.

My question now is this, Pecunia, you had mentioned earlier there was a known conflict between the GEII Pharaoh disk and Emperor (not a part of the GEII set), what I'm wondering is whether there is any conflict between the other GEII games (C3,Zeus,Poseidon) and Emperor or is just with Pharaoh and is it safe to have those disks (C3,Ze,Po) installed or need I go back to my old disks?

Thanks both of you for your help...it's truly appreciated!!

StarKey

posted 09-22-03 13:49 ET (US)     9 / 11  
Sorry for the inconvenience I brought you StarKey
I just found out the setting is only to be found in Tools* in WinXP BUT it also seems it has a habbit of forgetting to place it there. At least you found a way around the problem

*On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
On Win98SE it is in both View and Tools, talk about confusing

[This message has been edited by Proconsul Creaticus Dania (edited 09-22-2003 @ 01:52 PM).]

posted 09-22-03 14:35 ET (US)     10 / 11  
That installation conflict is only between the GEII Pharaoh and Emperor. The other games are not affected
posted 09-23-03 00:09 ET (US)     11 / 11  
Thanks Pecunia, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

That's OK PCD, I understand there are so many variables and different system setups on all of our PC's. I, by the way, have WinXP HomeEdition. Your original suggestion of the search feature was spot on, I'm still learning and every step forward expands my knowledge.

So, I went ahead and installed my old Pharaoh disk, went back to my desktop and.... no Emperor!!...gone... just an empty file folder like before... I'm so confused., I had Pharaoh and Emperor both properly installed on my old PC, but know... I don't know what's up. I guess I could try that prefix trick suggested by Pecunia.

I did install the C3, Zeus/Poseidon GEII disks and they seem to be working properly.... it's just that darn Pharaoh/Emperor conflict that has me fuming!!

Oh well, Onward on upward!!

StarKey

*edited* spelling

[This message has been edited by StarKey (edited 09-23-2003 @ 00:11 AM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Technical Forum » Emperor/Pharoah conflict
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames