Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: If you have a problem conserning 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
posted 10-25-04 16:24 ET (US)   
On Windows XP and the error message states either:

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Then go here, this resolved all my problems with this particular error.

[This message has been edited by Continuity (edited 10-25-2004 @ 04:27 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-05-04 16:35 ET (US)     1 / 22  
Made this thread sticky so it's easier to find as request for help with the problems mentioned in the headerpost has risen.
PCD

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the body. Pr. 16:24
posted 12-06-04 03:58 ET (US)     2 / 22  
Thanks PCD. At least MS made an effort on these specific issues.

ET

posted 12-06-04 14:04 ET (US)     3 / 22  
Thanks for this post it's already helped someone and has been added to my fix notes
posted 01-03-05 11:10 ET (US)     4 / 22  
Changed header from: If you have a problem installing/running certain programs...

To: If you have a problem conserning 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

Reason: Making it easier for people to find the info in this thread.

PCDania

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the body. Pr. 16:24
posted 02-14-05 08:53 ET (US)     5 / 22  
hi
i've had to deal with the same problem
i got it fixed by doing this :
in cmd type
copy %windir%\repair\autoexec.nt %windir%\system32
press enter. type exit ->press enter
this fixes the 16bit problem right away and you don't have to restart your pc.

but now i'm facing yet another problem. autorun won't work on my c3 cd and i get the message that : autorun.exe is not a valid win32 application. any suggestions on this one?

posted 02-14-05 12:46 ET (US)     6 / 22  
Try copying config.nt and command.com like you did with autoexec.nt. Eventually try copy the three files like surgested in the article linked to in the headerpost.

If that doesn't help please open a new thread with your problem.

[This message has been edited by Proconsul Creaticus Dania (edited 02-14-2005 @ 12:48 PM).]

posted 04-03-05 07:12 ET (US)     7 / 22  
download command and place the file in C:\WINDOWS\system32

download autoexec and place the file in C:\WINDOWS\system32

download config and place the file in C:\WINDOWS\system32

if everything is alright the games will work now

(if a messages apears and saise that they are already there replace them)
(theys are not virusses or anything els theys just fix your problem )

[This message has been edited by superman (edited 04-18-2005 @ 03:27 PM).]

posted 04-03-05 07:36 ET (US)     8 / 22  
The files you are linking to are for the Dutch version of WinXP, especially command.com might give problems on versions of WinXP using another language.

[This message has been edited by Proconsul Creaticus Dania (edited 04-03-2005 @ 07:41 AM).]

posted 07-18-05 10:47 ET (US)     9 / 22  
I changed the config.nt and autoexec.nt files as described. I had a little problem because the extensions were hidden and they were really config.nt.txt and autoexec.nt.txt files, which didn't do any good, but now that's fixed.

However, I now get an error message when I try to install Pharaoh, saying

"The Win16 subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH."

What is wrong and how do I fix it?

-the user formerly known as Jimhotep

posted 07-18-05 11:47 ET (US)     10 / 22  
Try copy autoexec.nt and config.nt from C:\WINDOWS\repair to C:\WINDOWS\system32*

* If your OS is installed in another folder or partition put the correct driveletter and foldername instead of C:\WINDOWS

posted 07-18-05 19:42 ET (US)     11 / 22  
Yes! That did it... thanks!
posted 08-01-05 16:39 ET (US)     12 / 22  
excuse me if i get this all wrong i am new to this, I have pharaoh with my system running on XP and I also have been unable to install the game due to problems listed. I have tryed to use the answers that have been given but i find the last few a little confusing can anyone help please
posted 08-01-05 17:06 ET (US)     13 / 22  

Quote:

the last few

Are you talking about my post #10 in reply to post #9 or..?

posted 08-02-05 07:04 ET (US)     14 / 22  
sorry for not explaining myself I was refering to the very first entry with regards to the system32 MSDOS subsystem. There is a link taking you to several possible remidies under cmd however there are notepad solutions but that is were I get confused.
I can not install pharaoh due to a system 32 msdos subsystem problem and need help
posted 08-02-05 10:28 ET (US)     15 / 22  
The notepad solution is to do as follows:
First make sure you are allowed to see the system files and the fileextension on known files and that you can see the hidden system folders and files. You do this by opening Windows Explorer, mark your C drive, click the Tools menu and change the following settings in the 'Show' pane (I've translated from Danish so it might be called something else.):

Remove check from 'Hide protected system files' and from 'Hide fileextension for known filetypes'.
Under 'Hidden files and folders' make sure 'Show hidden files and folders' is marked.

Click the 'Apply to all folders' button and then click OK. You should now be able to see all the files and folders on your computer, if you can't then close Windows Explorer and open it again.

Write (or copy directly from my post) the following lines in notepad, save the file as config.nt (if .txt is applied at the end rename the file so it ends on .nt) and copy it to C:\Windows\system32 saying 'Yes' to overwriting:

dos=high, umb
device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

Write (or copy directly from my post) the following lines in notepad, save the file as autoexec.nt (if .txt is applied at the end rename the file so it ends on .nt) and copy it to C:\Windows\system32 saying 'Yes' to overwriting (note lh is LH):

@echo off
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

An easier way instead of using notepad is doing as I surgested for Cheiromancer to do in post #10 as the contents of those files are the same as what your write in notepad.

[This message has been edited by Proconsul Creaticus Dania (edited 08-02-2005 @ 10:30 AM).]

posted 08-02-05 11:09 ET (US)     16 / 22  
done as you suggested but unfortunatley i am still getting the same problem. even after restarting the computer?
posted 08-02-05 12:40 ET (US)     17 / 22  
Then you will have to try out the different Compartibility modes. If that doesn't work then I unfortunately don't know.

Personally I have no problems with any of the Citybuilder games running on WinXP Pro SP2. (My system has never been infected with virus or spyware).

posted 08-02-05 13:28 ET (US)     18 / 22  
I have tried all compatabilities where required and still no joy

thankyou for your help?

posted 08-03-05 21:02 ET (US)     19 / 22  
It is always so hard to help people out with a problem you have not seen. I have run every city building game on 5 different WinXP SP2 Home systems without any problems. And I have never had to resort to Compatability Mode.

The only other things I could suggest are ensuring you have all the Windows Updates, just to make sure your system files are up to date.

Also, ensure you are installing from an account that has Administrative Rights. The other type of accounts (users?) will not allow most games to be installed.

You may also want to run a full scan for Viruses, Adware, Spyware etc... after updating all of those programs for the latest information. It is amazing how many different problems those things can cause.

After that, try disabling any background programs you have running that are not needed during the install. These should include your anit-virus program, and spy-/ad-ware removal tools if they are running in the background. Several of them have been known in the past to cause really strange problems installing some programs.

If you are not sure what programs are safe to disable, check out this site: http://www.blackviper.com/

The guy that runs the site loves to tear apart MS Operating Systems. He has a lot of great information on most of the common things that WinXP has running that don't need to be.

Lastly, for any other background applications that you are not sure of, check out the following site. They are fairly well updated with the listings for all the applications that are out there, what they do, if they are bad, and how to get rid of them.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

Oh, and I almost forgot. If you have not done so in a while, try defragging your system. It probably won't help, but it never hurts. And I have heard of other people having strange problems of various sorts just going away after a good defrag.

Hope this helps...

[This message has been edited by krclark (edited 08-03-2005 @ 09:06 PM).]

posted 12-19-05 11:53 ET (US)     20 / 22  
that never workeed for me so i went on http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?dwn=6945970000;dosapps_sp2_patch.exe
it worked, and it was much easier
posted 02-16-06 08:04 ET (US)     21 / 22  
Ok guy I hope you can help me with this, my zeus game installs quite fine on my windows XP prof. but here's the problem when I try to open the game this message that I tried fixing by trying all the above tech solutions that did nothing and the message is:

the application failed to initialize properly (0x0000005). click on OK to terminatethe application

PLZZZZZZZZZ help iam begging you I tried everything I know.

posted 02-16-06 09:21 ET (US)     22 / 22  
Hi tarek_chamas

Have you installed all the patches for WinXP Pro so it has Service Pack 2 (SP2)?

If so try download and install this (direct link to file): http://tinyurl.com/6agwy which has helped a few people. I have not had this problem myself so have not tested if it works so it's a "use on your own risk".
I have scanned the file with a freshly updated antivirus program and there's no virus in the file.

If above does not work, try uninstall Zeus again, make sure its folders are deleted and also delete all files in all Temp folders on your computer. Then try defragment your harddisk and try install Zeus again and see if it now will run.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Technical Forum » If you have a problem conserning 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames