Moderated by Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My Favorite Housing Blocks
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 8  Next Page »
posted 01-08-01 12:30 ET (US)   
Okay, a few RULES for this thread.
This is meant to be a housing block library so...

Please limit your replies to posting your favorite block with a text description. Please don't reply just to say 'nice block' or to ask how the walker will make it all the way around. If there is an obvious error with a block, please e-mail the poster and let them fix it.

It would be nice to have an uncluttered thread of everyone's blocks without a lot of chatter or discussion.

Nuff said. Any format is great, Glyphy or other picture form.

Discussion on this thread has a sister thread called
Discussion Thread for Favourite Housing Blocks

Please use it for questions or comments regarding the blocks you see posted here. Thanks

[This message has been edited by SenetEr (edited 02-22-2001).]

Replies:
posted 11-16-02 17:11 ET (US)     101 / 187  
Basic Elite Housing Block
Roadblock
Maintenance Office Infirmary
Fountain
Podium Tax Office Gazebo
Elite Housing Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza
Monument Plaza Monument
Plaza
Plaza
Plaza
Plaza
Plaza
Plaza
Monument Plaza Monument
Plaza
Plaza
Plaza
Gymnasium Plaza College
Plaza
Plaza
Foodmarket Fleecemarket
Oilmarket Weaponsmarket
Winemarket Horsemarket
Maintenance Office Roadblock Storehouse

Legend

You can use a Boulevard down the middle instead of avenue. Also stick a horse ranch and theater down by the storehouse.
The storehouse should bet set to get 8 each of fleece, olive oil, armor and wine.

posted 12-06-02 15:52 ET (US)     102 / 187  
For some reason I cannot open the legends. I get an "cannot find the page" eror message. Any suggestions?
posted 12-06-02 19:08 ET (US)     103 / 187  
The legend URL http://zeus.heavengames.com/misc/tiles/legend.shtmlis working ok for me now, hopefully it was just a short term glitch for you.
posted 12-11-02 16:07 ET (US)     104 / 187  
Here's the housing block I currently use:

Infirmary
Maintenance Office Tax Office Podium House House House House
Fountain
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza House
House Plaza Plaza
Plaza House House House House House Plaza House
House Plaza Plaza
Plaza House Hedgemaze Hedgemaze House Plaza House
House Plaza Plaza
Plaza House House Plaza House
House Plaza Hedgemaze Hedgemaze Plaza
Plaza House House Plaza Gymnasium
House Plaza Plaza
Plaza House Pillar Pillar Pillar Pillar Pillar Pillar House Plaza
House Plaza Fleecemarket Foodmarket Oilmarket Plaza House
Plaza Plaza
House Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza House
House House Roadblock House Theater House

Legend

The positions of the culture buildings and tax office can be swapped for any of the house on the outer row. Same for the maintenance office and fountain, but I prefer to keep them near the infirmary. The road leading out of the block can be placed anywhere around the cirle too. There are no drama schools or colleges in the block, since the philisophers and actors ignore roadblocks when going to theaters and podiums, and it gives me more room in the block for houses. Where necessary, I replce the hedges with monuments for appeal.

I use this for my elite housing:

Infirmary
Drama School College Gymnasium
Tax Office Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Maintenance Office
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Fishpond Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Plaza Elite Housing Fishpond
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza
Monument Fleecemarket Plaza Winemarket Monument
Plaza
Foodmarket Plaza Weaponsmarket
Plaza
Oilmarket Plaza Horsemarket
Plaza
Roadblock

Legend

Four of them will max out my military forces. I connect them to the housing blocks so the actors and philoshophers will go to the theaters and podiums in the worker blocks, and the provide the elites with culture as they go down the street as well.

posted 02-20-03 13:39 ET (US)     105 / 187  
I finally got tired of it and did what I should have done a long time ago -- glyphyfied Nightwolf's common block. I needed a clearer printout, and might as well share it.

You'll need this playing many of his custom adventures, because he never gives you avenues, not in the first episode, so you need a common block with good appeal without them.

North is the top LEFT of the glyph, not the usual top right.

Gazebo Gazebo Gazebo Gazebo Gazebo
College House House House House Theater
Infirmary House House House
House Gazebo House Tax Office
Gazebo Fleecemarket Plaza House Gazebo House Gymnasium
Plaza
Gazebo Foodmarket Plaza House Gazebo House
Plaza House Garden Garden
Maintenance Office Gazebo Oilmarket Plaza House Gazebo House Garden Garden
Plaza House Garden Garden
Roadblock House Gazebo House Garden Garden
Granary Fountain House Garden Garden
House Gazebo House Garden Garden
Maintenance Office House Garden Garden
House House House Garden Garden
Storehouse Drama School Podium
Garden House House House House Gazebo
Garden Garden
Gazebo Gazebo Gazebo Gazebo Gazebo Gazebo

Legend

[This message has been edited by Kluelos (edited 02-20-2003 @ 02:03 PM).]

posted 05-07-03 09:47 ET (US)     106 / 187  
Originally posted by a Poster with an inappropriate name
Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Infirmary Garden Garden Theater
Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden
Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Tax Office
Garden Garden Garden Maintenance Office
Garden Garden Garden Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Garden House Plaza Plaza House Garden
Garden Plaza House Podium House Plaza Garden
Roadblock Roadblock
Garden House Plaza House Garden Garden House Plaza House Garden
Garden Plaza Garden Garden Plaza Garden
Garden House Plaza House Fountain House Plaza House Garden
Garden Plaza Plaza Garden
Garden Winepress Plaza Plaza Gymnasium
Garden Garden Roadblock Foodmarket Fleecemarket Oilmarket Roadblock Garden
Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden
Storehouse College Drama School
Granary Maintenance Office

Legend

Quoted from Poster with an inappropriate name:

this is the one i'm using, the winery is a watchpost,don't really need it, but the healer can't get to it anyways so i threw it in there. there's one more line at the bottom that's just a road connecting the two open end. i get perfect hygiene, water, culture, and enough appeal to get townhouses on olypian. and if you build them next to eachother you can take out the row of parks on the left

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
Support your local HeavenMy RecommendationsEXCOHALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 05-28-03 05:49 ET (US)     107 / 187  
Hi All , I am quite New to Zeus and have been trying the Trial and Error Method to Learn this Fascinating Game .I noticed in some of your City Block Models that Drama Schools seem to be Missing . I was under the Impression that if you Build a Theater you also must have a Drama School nearby .I guess this is not the Case ? Also , it seems very hard to Conquer Troy even with a Large Army . It has taken me 4 Invasions of Troy sometimes before they are Defeated . This I have only done in the Open Sandbox Economic Mode .I also have Problems in the other Adventures with Fires Destroying my Buildings even with Plenty of Maintainence Offices nearby . I Love Zeus , but it very Time consuming and sometimes Frustrating to complete some of the Harder Adventures . Any Tips on how to ease my Pain are Welcome lol . Thanks.... meinherr
posted 05-28-03 08:21 ET (US)     108 / 187  
Hi meinherr and welcome to Zeus Heaven.

Drama schools are required in order to produce actors, but the school can be a long way from the theatre. One drama school can produce enough actors to support multiple theatres, and many people place a theatre inside the housing blocks that need them, and put a single drama school somewhere in the centre of the city.

You can see how strong a city's military by counting the shields next to it's name on the world map. One shield is very week, five shields is very strong. Six shields means the city is unconquerable, you will have to wait until you get a message saying there has been a "military decline" in the city.

Just having a maintenance office near a building is not enough to prevent it catching fire. The inspector walker from the maintenance office must walk past the building before the risk of fire is reduced. Try to design your city so that the inspector has no choice but to pass the buildings you want him to protect. This can be done by limiting the number of intersections, or using roadblocks.

We seem to have strayed a long way from the subject of this thread (housing blocks). It would probably be better if you had started a new thread (or threads) for the second two questions. That would make it easier for people with the same problem as you to find an answer.

posted 05-29-03 03:50 ET (US)     109 / 187  
Thank You for your informative comments Nero Would . I will take your Advice . LONG LIVE HELOS ! lol
posted 08-28-03 08:36 ET (US)     110 / 187  
Hi, guys! How can I get the pics so I can make my own favourite blocks?
Your help would be much appreciated.

`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·SnakeEyes·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·
Resident Ferry-Master
.:Woad creations:Blackstorm Inventions:.
AoE is my game,
SnakeEyes is my name!!!

posted 01-06-04 23:48 ET (US)     111 / 187  
Wow! Cool. there's a lot of idea's! I should post mine sometime soon. This can help me on my cities

But there are so many of them, which one is the best?

[This message has been edited by Hero_Acamas (edited 01-07-2004 @ 00:14 AM).]

posted 01-10-04 18:16 ET (US)     112 / 187  
Hey I have a question. When I try to recreate one of these housing blocks it says my houses font have acces to greece and then they destory themselves whats wrong? Thanks.
posted 03-10-04 17:36 ET (US)     113 / 187  
New to the board. having problems finding the legend for housing block designs.

Any suggestions?

posted 03-10-04 17:52 ET (US)     114 / 187  
Hi Buffster and welcome to Zeus Heaven.

Usually, you can hover your mouse over a glyph to get a description of it. If that doesn't help, try taking a look at this Glyph Legend

posted 04-30-04 15:00 ET (US)     115 / 187  
Ravenn's 37 House Block for Poseidon

Garden Bench House House House House House Bench Garden
House Roadblock Roadblock House
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
House Plaza Foodmarket Oilmarket Fleecemarket Maintenance Office Plaza House
Plaza Plaza
House Plaza Theater Bench Fountain Plaza House
Plaza Bench Plaza
House Plaza Bench Bench Bench Plaza House
Plaza Bench House Plaza
House Plaza Bench Plaza House
Plaza Infirmary Gazebo House Plaza
House Plaza Plaza House
Plaza Garden House Plaza
House Plaza Plaza House
Plaza Elite Housing Garden House Plaza
House Plaza Plaza House
Plaza Gazebo House Plaza
House Plaza Plaza House
Plaza Podium Tax Office Fountain House Plaza
House Plaza Plaza House
Plaza Plaza
Gazebo House House House House House House Gazebo

Legend

I modified SenetEr's 40 House Block on page 1 to work better with Poseidon. It will evolve into Townhouses (depending on the surroundings, a couple extra aesthetics wouldn't be amiss - salt to taste), yielding a population of 2220. The two corner gazebos could be replaced with housing, as long as there's external roads to it. I took out one house and added the extra fountain because my water bearers are all twits. Really.

The benches could also be replaced with columns, and the house on the upper inner right corner will still fully evolve.

In order to make it make sense with Poseidon, let me give you the legend for the Culture stuff (translated into Science Stuff, since there's no Poseidon glyphs).
Elite House = Laboratory
College = University (gee, how funny!)
Drama School = Inventor's Workshop
Podium = Bibliotheke
Theater = Observatory

If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into a watergun and shoot other people in the eyes.
posted 04-30-04 15:03 ET (US)     116 / 187  
Let me add that I'm not showing either the University OR the Inventor's Workshop here. I put those right outside the city (usually along the top road, along with a granary and two storehouses (one for olive oil only, one for fleece only).

If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into a watergun and shoot other people in the eyes.
posted 04-30-04 15:15 ET (US)     117 / 187  
Errr...I don't know if this still applies, Wotan, since it's so late.

If your housing blocks are self destructing, make sure both your entry and your exit points are connected (if it's islands, for example, make sure you have water crossings to connect).

Enough off topic. I'm off to make my elite housing block.

posted 04-30-04 16:20 ET (US)     118 / 187  
Ravenn's 19 Elite House Block

Podium Fleecemarket Foodmarket Oilmarket Podium Winemarket Weaponsmarket Horsemarket Tax Office
Roadblock Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Roadblock
Fishpond Plaza Plaza Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Plaza Plaza Bench Bench Bench Bench
Plaza Plaza Elite Housing Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Plaza Garden Garden Garden Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Bench Bench Bench Bench Plaza Plaza Garden Garden Garden Plaza Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Elite Housing Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Elite Housing
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Bench Bench Bench Bench Bench Bench Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Pillar Pillar Pillar Pillar Pillar Pillar Plaza Plaza
Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Elite Housing Pillar Pillar Pillar Pillar Pillar Pillar Elite Housing Plaza Plaza Elite Housing
Roadblock Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Roadblock
Maintenance Office Winemarket Weaponsmarket Horsemarket Theater Fleecemarket Foodmarket Oilmarket
Infirmary
Maintenance Office

Legend

This one I like to use with Aphrodite's Haven (in Poseidon). Because it's six wide, I can also put the Museum in this, and it'll fully evolve. (The Museum is the 6x6 worth of pillars; the Haven is the series of gardens above the benches). The Haven can be substituted for a Sanctuary to Hermes or to Dionysus (they're both 6 across). You could also stick the palace in there.

I use four common agoras to make sure everyone is stocked up. I had to move the infirmary to its horrible location because the elite house it was next to refused to evolve. And then the maintenance office to ITS horrible spot because the Museum and the infirmary kept collapsing, because of the bottom left maintenance refused to hit either one (don't know why).

Within spitting distance, I set up one horse ranch and two chariot factories, and got everyone all up to speed (four chariots per house). For faster charioteering, add more.

Again, University and Inventor's Workshop are up next to one granary and four storehouses (one each for oil, wine, fleece, and armor). I also put one granary and four storehouses at the other end as well. That gives a population of 380.

The fishpond on the left side is representative of the Laboratory, and the theater is the Observatory. The elites kept shrieking about lack of science every other month, so the Lab helped out there.

[This message has been edited by Ravenn (edited 07-15-2004 @ 09:28 PM).]

posted 07-13-04 16:32 ET (US)     119 / 187  

Legend

My Poseidon Block. It started as an attempt to make Plebus Trojan War block work in Poseidon, but has changed a little on its way.

The numbers: 42 Townhouses, 2520 People, Footprint 16x23

All appeal in inside as long as you keep the ugliness away. Please notice that those vines are tall obelisks. Works as advertised up to hero, at higher difficulties you need more appeal for the 4 corner houses. And they'll eventually catch fire.
Works in every direction and can be stacked without road or appealstuff in between.
You must have an inventors workshop and museum somewhere.

[edit: I have no idea where this stupid space above the glyphs comes from or how to remove it, sorry.]

[This message has been edited by Nero Would (edited 07-13-2004 @ 10:20 PM).]

posted 07-13-04 22:32 ET (US)     120 / 187  
Hi RandomWalker I got rid of the extra space above the glyphs for you. The problem is that (at least in this forum) the newline characters that you had between the HTML tags in the table are not considered part of the table, but are displayed before the table.

The solution is to not include white space between the HTML tags. Unfortunately, this results in HTML code that is harder to read.

I'm interested in the houses on the corner. We had a discussion a little while ago about whether corner houses that are two squates from the road will get adequate protection from the maintenance office at higher difficulty levels. I belive you are saying that hey do do not. I must admit I haven't got around to testing it yet.

[This message has been edited by Nero Would (edited 07-13-2004 @ 10:57 PM).]

posted 07-14-04 15:52 ET (US)     121 / 187  
Thanks for fixing this, I've read in an old post in this thread that leaving out spaces caused problems, so I inserted some... oh well.

About the corner houses. I'm sure they don't get quite enough coverage in this block, I even had one or two fires at very easy after running it for many, many years. If you have a shorter loop the frequence of MO visits may equal the risk rise so it works indefinitly, but here fires are the only way to get the fire risk down to zero again.

Just to defend my block: we're talking about one fire in several years that is always put out quickly, so not much of a real problem.

posted 08-01-04 18:22 ET (US)     122 / 187  
Hello everyone,

This is my standard housing block. It holds 44 townhouses. It is quite compact as in some maps place is short. This block can evolve to townhouses at Olympian difficulty. You might have to add a little bit of desirability on the outside, mostly at the top of the block.

The second block is an improvement because the boulevard (instead of the avenue) gives more desirabilty to the outer houses.

If you want you can replace the two gazebo's at the bottom by houses, however they will not receive infirmary coverage.

Theater
Infirmary
Tax Office Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Maintenance Office Gymnasium
Podium
Plaza Plaza
House Plaza House Fountain House Plaza House
Plaza Plaza
House Plaza House Gazebo House Plaza House
Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
Gazebo Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Gazebo
Roadblock Foodmarket Fleecemarket Oilmarket Roadblock

Legend

Theater
Infirmary
Tax Office Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Maintenance Office Gymnasium
Podium
Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
House Plaza Plaza House House Plaza Plaza House
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza
Plaza Plaza
Gazebo Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Plaza Gazebo
Roadblock Foodmarket Fleecemarket Oilmarket Roadblock

Legend

Greetz,
XtOf

posted 08-13-04 06:02 ET (US)     123 / 187  
posted 08-19-04 11:10 ET (US)     124 / 187  
Does anyone have the graphic that Grumpus The Elder used for his Estate Block>? It's coming up as a broken graphic. I remember using it before, but I'm trying to replay Zeus and need a refresher.

AdvTHANKSance.

posted 08-19-04 13:11 ET (US)     125 / 187  
Hi MikeToth and welcome to Zeus Heaven

A glyphy version of Grumpus' Elite block is available at my site

Angel Pecunia | HG Downloads programmer and techie
Caesar IV Heaven | Children of the Nile Heaven | Citadel of Poseidon (Zeus/Poseidon) | The Great Wall (Emperor)
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 8  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Zeus: Game Help » My Favorite Housing Blocks
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames