Emperor: Game Help
Moderated by Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Official Housing Block Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 9  Next Page »
posted 10-02-02 22:56 ET (US)   
Welcome to the Official Housing Block Thread.

A Tale in the Desert
Flogging will continue until morale improves.
Replies:
posted 10-27-02 10:43 ET (US)     26 / 209  
Available for your amusement and amazement, just in case you thought you'd tried everything, is Machiavellian MarvL. The block fully develops at Very Hard, and the article contains various hints including the use of a Military Gauntlet, rather than Gatehouses.

The block is designed to snuggle up against the edge of the map, as indicated by the red squares. Consequently, it can be jammed into areas that other designs couldn't even consider.

Aggressive placement of the Administrative City, the Emissaries are forced to use the servant's entrance for a travel distance of ONE tile, is one charactistic of the design.

The other interesting feature is the two Elite Houses that are located between the Palace and the Common Housing loop. By importing two units of Silk and two units of Ceramics, I can get two Lavish Siheyuans on the cheap, well before you would normally see Elite Houses, with the consequent military advantages.

If you wish, you can also download the Excel Spreadsheet that I've developed for documenting my designs. It uses macros to provide backgrounds with both colors and patterning (for black and white printing) for each building category.

Extend your grasp of the Empire at Serpentineum

[This message has been edited by MarvL (edited 10-27-2002 @ 11:18 AM).]

posted 11-05-02 23:43 ET (US)     27 / 209  
Thought I'd share this block with you all. I like to build large housing blocks, but I've been a little frustrated that when it gets to the higher levels of common housing, it seems that one food vendor wasn't enough. If you use a common market place, you have to use 2 vendors to keep a block feed. This bugged me, since it didn't leave any room for the tea vendor. The following block was my attempt at an aesthetically pleasing solution. I ran it on Normal difficulty for 10 years with luxurious apartment housing level and it was stable. There are 46 houses with a population of 3404. Inspector, watch and well will all upgrade with the buildings placed as shown. The Buddhist and Daoist shrines can also be replaced with temples if you wish. The res. gates on the 2 roads leading into the block should be set open for market employees only. The 2 res. gates on either side of the market on the service road should be set for inspectors only. The market employees do tend to back track into the market, but at least one announcer will loop the block and the randomness of the market vendor keeps the houses supplied with food, even when the market is temporarily out of food.

Inspector's Tower Acupuncturist Watchtower
Daoist Shrine Buddhist Shrine
Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N)
Common Housing Common Housing
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E)
Common Housing Grand Way (W) Grand Way (E) Common Housing
Grand Way (W) Herbalist Well Grand Way (E)
Ancestral Shrine Grand Way (W) Grand Way (E) Tax Office
Grand Way (W) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (E)
Food Shop Hemp Shop
Music School Inspector's Tower
Common Market (H)
Warehouse Acrobat School
Ceramics Shop Tea Shop

Legend

[This message has been edited by JimMRooney (edited 11-21-2002 @ 10:13 PM).]

posted 11-20-02 13:56 ET (US)     28 / 209  
Bumpity bump
posted 11-21-02 12:55 ET (US)     29 / 209  
JimM I fixed the residential gates so you can now actually enter the character used
posted 11-21-02 22:15 ET (US)     30 / 209  
Thanks, Jayhawk! I've editted my post so they show now.
posted 11-24-02 00:01 ET (US)     31 / 209  
here's a n00b square... this is about the best I can do hehe Any of you experts who can still remember using this kind of layout???

Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Music School Garden Garden Garden
Grand Way (W) Grand Way (E) Inspector's Tower Garden
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E)
Grand Way (W) Grand Way (E)
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Food Shop Common Market (V) Ceramics Shop Garden
Grand Way (W)
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Hemp Shop Empty Shop Garden
Grand Way (W)
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E)
Grand Way (W) Grand Way (E) Well Garden
Grand Way (W) Grand Way (E)
Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Acrobat School Garden Garden
Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden Garden
Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N)
Mill Mill Farm House Farm House Warehouse Inspector's Tower Kiln
Statue
Garden Kiln Kiln
Clay Pit Clay Pit Clay Pit Kiln Kiln Kiln
Hemp Farm Hemp Farm Warehouse Warehouse Trading Station
Garden Garden Garden

Legend

Greetz

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein
posted 11-24-02 10:12 ET (US)     32 / 209  
Hehe, that's kinda funny. I can't brag though, most of my housing blocks are nothing fancy, just good enough to get by.

Tips:
farms need to be further from the road with road leading to them so you can get maximum number of squares. Also, the mill is too far away from the market. Try to have only one mill too. Put more buildings to evolve housing whear you put the residental wall that cut off the space by the side of the road.

That's as good a I can do.

[This message has been edited by ramases_88 (edited 11-24-2002 @ 10:14 AM).]

posted 11-24-02 10:43 ET (US)     33 / 209  
woah hard to understand :P

I still have the glyphy code... Maybe you could edit that??? :P LOL

-hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuu@@@@@@-..
-hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuu@@@@@@-..
-°°==============================::KK@@-..
-°°hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh::KK@@-..
-°°hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh::!!!!-..
-°°hh########################!11]]]44@@-..
-°°hh########################!11]]]44@@-..
-°°hh########################!22]]]00@@-..
-°°hh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!22]]]00@@-..
-°°hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh::!!!!-..
-°°hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh::WW@@-..
-°°==============================::WW@@-..
-hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!RRR+######-..
-hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!RRR=######-..
-@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@!RRR=######-..
-@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@!!!!=!!!!!!-..
--------------------------------ç-------..
.............................¶¶¶+¶¶¶......
=============================¶¶¶=¶¶¶====..
=7777777777áááVVVååååååVVVååå888KK^^^kk=..
=7777777777áááVVVååååååVVVååå888KK&&^kk=..
=7777777777áááVVVååååååVVVååå888@@&&^kk=kk
=7777777777ááááááááááááåååååå!!!@@^^^kk=kk
=7777777777ááááááááááááååååååCCCCCCkkkk=kk
=..........ááááááááááááååååååCCCCCCkkkk=kk
========================================..
wwwvvwwwwwwvvwww8888889999................
wwwvvwwwwwwvvwww8888889999................
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww8888889999................
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww@@@@@@9999................
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww@@@@@@@@@@................

that's the code...

anyhow... I'll try the stuff I understood (the only one mill etc stuff)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein
posted 11-25-02 03:48 ET (US)     34 / 209  
Well that glyphy code is beyond me - but - back to your newbie square - hmmm... that's got me thinking (rare but possible).

What if.... the tiles were still 58 in total length, with an admin block in the centre (one end of the block), and the market square INSIDE the block (at the other end of the block). Perhaps this just results in reduced housing capacity ...

Always looking for something different as I get a bit sick of creating the same old, same old (even though it works ).

posted 11-25-02 09:19 ET (US)     35 / 209  
hehe well I tried to add an admin city to a block once... it reduced desirability somehow :s

posted 11-26-02 01:21 ET (US)     36 / 209  
Thought I would contribute a little something to our growing Housing Block Thread here.

Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing
Common Housing Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Common Housing
Common Housing Grand Way (E) Well Daoist Temple T'ai Chi Park Tax Office Acupuncturist Herbalist Grand Way (W) Common Housing
Grand Way (E) Grand Way (W)
Common Housing Grand Way (E) Inspector's Tower Watchtower Daoist Shrine Ancestral Shrine Grand Way (W) Common Housing
Grand Way (E) Grand Way (W)
Common Housing Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Common Housing
Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing
Ceramics Shop Common Market (V) Food Shop
Tea Shop Hemp Shop
Inspector's Tower Music School

Legend

Here's a block I've been using for quite a while now with a great deal of success.

Starting with an ever-versatile seneter housing block, I revised it for use in Emperor. Well, it's one of many possible revisions anyways.

Using an 8x20 loop with Grand Ways along the inner side of the loop, all required facilities fit nice and snug within...with room for a nice Tai-chi park. The Daoist Temple can be knocked out to add 4 more houses, as well as the Tai-chi park for another 4 houses; though I haven't tested to see how/if desirablity is affected.

The outter-most loop around the houses leads off to various other parts of the city...since I usually build my blocks off the Imperial Highway (or Kingdom Road, or whatever you want to call it )

All in all, it contains 31 houses, with the possibility to add up to 8 more if the previously-stated changes are made. Total population, fully-evolved, is just under 2300. 2294 if memory serves me.

What I also like about it is the fact that it can be revised a bit and used as an Elite block. I'll post that tomorrow...too late right now and this little rodent is very tired.

more houses can be added if some of the services (i.e. accupuncturist, watch tower, daoist shrine) aren't needed/wanted.

/Edit
Some further notes:
The Daoist temple and/or shrine can be replaced with a Buddhist Pagoda and/or shrine if desired. Also, the placement of the Market Square can be changed to suit your needs.
/End Edit

Works just fine under Normal difficulty. Haven't tested it in hard yet. Perhaps I should do that.

Hunter of Gremals, Krugs, Wabbits, Wolves, and that sniveling little DePuce who made a mockery out of my name!

[This message has been edited by Rat (edited 11-26-2002 @ 01:36 AM).]

posted 11-26-02 04:43 ET (US)     37 / 209  
First a few words of explanation.

I, like most people, used to build large housing blocks to fit in as many people as possible. I also have a personal rule of always have "perfect harmony" in Feng Shui - including during the build-up of my cities

After having seen the amazing results from the beauty contest over at ICU (especially the winning entry by Taelia) I kind of have seen the light. Small seperated blocks give a much nicer look to the city and makes perfect Feng Shui more "easy" to obtain. Also gives good possibilities to blend in monuments, palaces, industrial neigbourhoods, trade areas etc. in your city.

I then made up this little block which will hold 1168 people if fully upgraded to lux. apart.

The statues can be replaced by pavilions, flowering trees, gardens, you make it out Also the grand ways goes all the way around the block, but my 'puter doesn't have the signs for north + west grand ways. The residential gate between the block and market square set to be "open" for building inspectors and market traders and the back door closed to everybody.

Statue Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing
Common Housing Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S)
Grand Way (E) Common Housing Common Market (V)
Common Housing Grand Way (E) Well Statue Herbalist
Grand Way (E) Common Housing
Common Housing Grand Way (E) Acupuncturist Statue Ancestral Shrine
Grand Way (E) Common Housing
Common Housing Grand Way (E)
Common Housing
Statue Common Housing Daoist Shrine Inspector's Tower Tax Office Common Housing

Legend
posted 11-26-02 08:34 ET (US)     38 / 209  
I have got the feeling I saw a walktrough of that contest somewhere but I can't find it... But I agree... that city looks nice and small blocks do a nice job indeed!

posted 11-26-02 09:36 ET (US)     39 / 209  

Quoted from Nimlot Persson:

but my 'puter doesn't have the signs for north + west grand ways.

You can "copy and paste" the symbols from the Legend.

Vaia
posted 11-26-02 11:32 ET (US)     40 / 209  
Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Now, why didn't I think of that

posted 11-26-02 15:35 ET (US)     41 / 209  
ááááá=ááá
ááááá=ááá
ááááá=ááá
áááVVVááá
áááVVVááá
áááVVVááá
ááááááááá
ááááááááá
ááááááááá

The whole code thing confuses me.
Anyway, that's the code thing for how farms should look, so you get the maximum space. Sometimes though, you don't want the maximum space, because each square will not get tended enough to be profitable.

Farm House

Legend

Vaia

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 11-26-2002 @ 04:23 PM).]

posted 11-27-02 14:08 ET (US)     42 / 209  
Thanks for those Rat and Nimlot Persson. Interesting that you both placed the services in the centre. The only reasons I still build large housing blocks are:

1. To get enough workers quickly at the beginning of the game (at least a hundred population by March).

2. To be able to place a Buddhist Pagoda and a Daoist Temple on each housing block. But I guess the Q is - if I have shrines instead - say on a smaller block - do I still get 'excellent' Buddhist & Daoist coverage?

3. To save initially on the cost of building (when funds are lower until I get the industry/money making going).

No matter what I do, I still don't get enough workers in to be able to produce enough food from 2 irrigated farms and 1 irrigated hemp farm to last the whole of the first year. I follow Grumpus's strategy of only having inspector & water initially, then turn on ancestral shrine and herbalist in April, with Mill, Market Square and shops in July. Anyone else have a solution to this (other than hunters tents/fishing quays which don't seem to be cost effective and take too many workers for the initial purpose). One of my problems may be that while I prebuild industry (but don't turn any of it on generally until Sept-Mar) each industrial area requires an extra inspector (which takes up workers needed in agriculture).

Just as a matter of interest Nimlot Persson - do you ever have more than 2 of these small blocks feeding off the same Mill?

[This message has been edited by Wendoolicus (edited 11-27-2002 @ 02:17 PM).]

posted 11-27-02 15:11 ET (US)     43 / 209  
If you can import food and/or hemp, consider doing that rather than building farms during the first year. It doesn't cost that much, and you save workers since two irrigated farms require 54 workers, and a trading post only needs 9. Also, you get food to your folks earlier resulting in earlier housing evolution bringing in more workers..

Shrines will give you religious walker coverage,m but you must have a temple somewhere in the city before you can summon a Daoist or Buddist hero.

[This message has been edited by Grumpus The Elder (edited 11-27-2002 @ 03:14 PM).]

posted 11-27-02 17:18 ET (US)     44 / 209  
Wendoolicus

So far I have had up till 5 of the small babies + 1 elite housing neighbourhood supplied by 1 mill. Come to think of it, I can only remember 1 city which had more than 1 mill (it had two) Normally I have a lot of store houses for the food and then just the one mill to get 8 of each (of course fairly (very) close to the store houses).

As for the religious coverage, I never had any problems with just the shrines for excellent coverage. I have a pagoda and daoist temple in my elite "block" which is normally just a straight line block wrapped around the palace and admin. city

posted 11-27-02 22:28 ET (US)     45 / 209  
I've just posted a new MarvLous Housing Block that will change your entire way of thinking about housing block development. It starts out, initally, as a simple Serpentine along both sides of an ordinary road, and eventually unfolds into a Cloverleaf that will support thousands of occupants in Luxury Apartments and dozens of Heavenly Compounds, all at the Very Hard difficulty level.

The article is available at
http://www.marvl.com/Serpentineum/Emperor/Layouts/MarvLous/marvlous.htm,
and I've included the Market Complex from the center of the Cloverleaf, just to tempt you.

Extend your grasp of the Empire at Serpentineum
posted 11-28-02 07:27 ET (US)     46 / 209  
I have never ever had difficulties with employment...

I pause the game, build pretty many houses and build 1 market with a food stall, 2 to 3 farms with various foods, inspectors tower, well, another inspectors tower for the market (it's behind walls since short while) and a mill... that's all I need to evolve... only when I have fully evolved houses (forgot the name :S) I have high unemployment difficulties :P (which isn't really a difficulty because I play at very easy settings)

posted 11-28-02 10:09 ET (US)     47 / 209  
That last housing block gives me an idea. Could anyone desing a block whear you have maybe two or four grand markets in the center with the mill there too. Then you could build six medium sized blocks around the markerts and the mill. It would look like a six leaf clover.

It seems I can't figure out the code thing (never could in Pharaoh either ) So I can't make one.

posted 11-28-02 10:36 ET (US)     48 / 209  
Just thought I'd add mine...they end up as variations on this theme,

Pond Pond
Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing
Acupuncturist
Food Shop Common Market (V) Silk Shop Daoist Shrine Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Ancestral Shrine
Grand Way (E) Buddhist Shrine
Hemp Shop Ceramics Shop Statue Pavilion Statue Pavilion Statue Well Grand Way (E)
Grand Way (E) Watchtower
Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Herbalist Grand Way (E)
Tax Office
Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing Pond

Legend
posted 11-28-02 11:18 ET (US)     49 / 209  
Jayhawk

I didn't realize that you actually played the game

I like the idea of including the market square in the block loop, looks very complete and well rounded

Is it just me, or did you forget to put in an inspectors tower

posted 11-28-02 11:35 ET (US)     50 / 209  
Well, here's one of mine that is very versatile

I like using this in various forms and have used it as a combination block with elites down one side instead of housing. When putting two next to eachother, a grand market with two food stalls will keep all houses happy Of course, no full development without tea for the elites and apartments when doing this.

Just with common housing and full development, there are 48 houses and it can hold well over 3000 people. No problems with development on Hard. Have not tried on very hard.

Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing
Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Grand Way (N) Common Housing
Common Housing Grand Way (W) Grand Way (E)
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E) Common Housing
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E) Daoist Shrine
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E) Watchtower
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E) Acupuncturist
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E) Tax Office
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E) Inspector's Tower
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E) Well
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E) Herbalist
Grand Way (W) Common Housing Common Housing Grand Way (E) Ancestral Shrine
Grand Way (W) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (S) Grand Way (E) Common Housing
Common Housing
Common Housing Common Housing Common Housing
Food Shop Common Market (V) Ceramics Shop
Hemp Shop Tea Shop

Legend
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 9  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Emperor: Game Help » The Official Housing Block Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames