Please login or register

Emperor: Game Help
Moderated by Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Gatehouse help
posted 10-07-02 15:02 ET (US)   
I'm having trouble understanding gatehouses. In Zhengzhou (the fourth mission of the Shang campaign), I made the same decision as in the walkthrough (to put the farms to the southwest of the city and to open a gate in that wall for delivery), but had trouble with gatehouses. Nothing seemed to work. I had nothing in the 3x5 area between the walls, but it was still a red footprint. I had a road down the middle, but no luck. I had walls all the way across, no luck. I had walls except at the road, no luck. I had roads up to the edge of the 3x5 area, no luck. Tried a one space gap in the road, no luck. Even tried deleting one of the existing gatehouses (left a five space wide gap in the wall with a road through), but couldn't replace it. Tried all this again towards the end of the mission (after palace and AC was built, for example), but still couldn't get any of the above to work. I realize I'm probably missing something stupid; anyone want to tell me what?
Replies:
posted 10-07-02 15:19 ET (US)     1 / 7  
Have a look in the .PDF file supplied with the game, it shows a step by step guide to the process, with pictures included....
posted 10-07-02 15:23 ET (US)     2 / 7  
Thanks, didn't realize there was a .pdf. Also just realized I never actually looked in the manual (boy, am I a doof).
posted 10-07-02 15:28 ET (US)     3 / 7  

Add walls

Add gate.

Gate (H)

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
Support your local HeavenMy RecommendationsEXCOHALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 10-07-02 15:48 ET (US)     4 / 7  
Hmm, I swore I tried that several times. Will try again tonight.
posted 10-07-02 16:22 ET (US)     5 / 7  
Also, the gatehouse takes up 3x5 tiles, so besides the wall and the road in place, the remaining tiles have to be clear.
posted 10-07-02 16:41 ET (US)     6 / 7  
check for trees right up next to the wall, RobKid
posted 10-08-02 10:10 ET (US)     7 / 7  
Oh believe me, I swept the area with the clear tool at least a dozen times (been bit by that before). I must not have had the precise configuration of walls, although I thought I tried that particular idea. Didn't realize the paper manual was not the only manual (personally, I don't really like the trend of not producing a real manual, but putting a pdf on the cd-rom). Didn't get a chance to go back and look at it last night (got a bug to play Jedi Outcast a little again), so I probably won't be able to get back to Emperor until Thursday at the earliest (too many things going on, I guess).
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Emperor: Game Help » Gatehouse help
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames