Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Desirability
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 07-19-01 18:22 ET (US)   
Is the desirability of a structure defined by the desirability of its northernmost tile?
The 2 scenarios in reply #1 are the reason for my question.

Both were built on an empty map, the only purpose was to see whether the Senate would upgrade or not.
The first did, the second did not.

Replies:
posted 10-20-08 22:35 ET (US)     26 / 38  
Thought this might be of interest to those who are looking into desirability at present.

I never mind bumping threads with interesting information in them.
posted 11-19-08 09:33 ET (US)     27 / 38  
Interesting. The chart shows desirability of a triumphal arch actually increasing the further you get away from it.
Am I reading it correctly?

Triumphal Arch 18 18 21 21 24 0
posted 11-19-08 10:34 ET (US)     28 / 38  
Hey how can you input a table in this forum ??? And even building layouts ?

Where is Road to Rome ??? That what I am finding...
posted 11-19-08 12:33 ET (US)     29 / 38  
The table is entered using HTML coding. You can look at the posts who have them, try to edit them, and copy the code part. I don't know whether those user has asome way of generating such code.

The HTML code for the building designs can be generated with the glyph editor. If you do a search you will easily find a link to the page here at HG.
posted 11-19-08 14:06 ET (US)     30 / 38  
Cruentus22,
Yes, a triumphal arch (as well as an academy) is most desirable at a moderate distance, which may have been a mistake. (A market is slightly undesirable nearby but slightly desirable at a moderate distance, which was deliberate.)

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 11-19-2008 @ 02:19 PM).]

posted 11-24-08 01:14 ET (US)     31 / 38  
Variable market desirability is a nice factor indeed. This explains why I was unable to evolve Luxury Palaces with designs similar to those I seen on the forum.

Failed also to factor in that Palaces also have a desirability factor... This is helpful indeed!

[This message has been edited by starcrafty (edited 11-24-2008 @ 01:30 AM).]

posted 11-26-08 23:03 ET (US)     32 / 38  
How to make a Triumphal Arch ?

Where is Road to Rome ??? That what I am finding...
posted 11-26-08 23:45 ET (US)     33 / 38  
Rome_builder,

Please put questions in an appropriate thread. This thread is on desirability. There are 16 threads with "triumphal arch" in the title, any one of which would have been a more appropriate place.

But since we are already commenting in this thread, I'll answer you here. A triumphal arch may be built (for free) when a city sends troops in reponse to a request from Rome, the troops arrive in time, and sufficient troops were sent to win the battle.
posted 12-11-08 17:07 ET (US)     34 / 38  
I'm moving my question to this thread so as to not further derail Brugle's Happy Miletus thread. He links to this thread and so I will ask the question here, it seems appropriate.

Warehouses have the property of the undesirability emanating from only its northernmost tile,
but from other buildings it emanates from all squares? I guess I could just go home tonight and check the desirability overlay. So, are warehouses a special case because of the dual purpose and thus two sections (entry pulley tile and storage area tile)?

[This message has been edited by Darkgreen (edited 12-11-2008 @ 05:11 PM).]

posted 12-11-08 18:13 ET (US)     35 / 38  
are warehouses a special case because of the dual purpose and thus two sections (entry pulley tile and storage area tile)?
Yes.

For a warehouse, undesirability emanates from the N tile only. For a fort, undesirability emanates from the 3x3 section only. For a hippodrome, desirability emanates from each 5x5 section separately, so the most undesirable effect (-6) is beside the junction between two of the 5x5 sections. For all other buildings, desirability emanates from the entire building.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 12-12-2008 @ 05:47 AM).]

posted 02-10-09 08:45 ET (US)     36 / 38  
Any idea why a Governor's House is less desirable than a large statue? I can see why in real terms, but in gameplay terms it seems odd - the governor's house costs the same but requires road access, making it a bigger investment than the large statue.

I can see why a triumphal arch gets better further away - I saw l'Arc de Triumph in Paris a few months back and, whilst impressive from afar, it was rather grubby up close! (Although I guess the Romans did not need to worry about car exhaust covering everything in grime - just horse exhaust! )

Do more desirable fountains, markets, senates etc. have any effect on gameplay, or is it just an aesthetic thing? I recall reading somewhere it was purely aesthetic, but I am far from certain. I know it has an effect on gameplay in Emperor.

Since "Burning House" is on the list, I wonder: has anyone ever seen a message "A nearby building [Burning House] is having a negative effect..."

[This message has been edited by Zild (edited 02-10-2009 @ 09:02 AM).]

posted 02-10-09 10:51 ET (US)     37 / 38  
why a Governor's House is less desirable than a large statue? ... in gameplay terms it seems odd
One possibility is that the designers wanted to require the player to build the larger residences to get more desirability. (The governor's house would be built just for aesthetics.)

Another possibility is that a governor's residence was originally intended to have a greater role in the game but that wasn't implemented. (In Pharaoh, a similar building is required to collect a salary.)
Do more desirable fountains, markets, senates etc. have any effect on gameplay
The upgraded buildings are not more desirable, and do not affect gameplay in Caesar III. (Similar upgraded buildings in Pharaoh are also not more desirable, but most of them do affect gameplay.)
has anyone ever seen a message "A nearby building [Burning House] is having a negative effect..."
Not exactly. I have seen a similar message, with "ruin" instead of "House", "detrimental" instead of "negative", and parentheses instead of square brackets. The words in c3_model.txt are just comments--only the numbers affect gameplay.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 02-10-2009 @ 11:19 AM).]

posted 02-10-09 17:02 ET (US)     38 / 38  
Forgive me, I was at work and had to paraphrase. That, and I've not actually bothered to read that message in the past several years.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Desirability
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames