Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Those wacky walkers
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04-16-00 13:40 ET (US)   
I've been working under the assumption that most walkers are "short walkers," who normally go 27 squares, except 25% of the time, when they go 36. And then there are the "long walkers," the architect and the fire warden, who travel 54. (I was never sure if they had a higher range- maybe 72?) Walkers usually have a preferred direction, usually towards the center of the map, or wherever the road system is longest. About three quarters of their trips start out in that direction.

Anyway, I design my blocks around these assumptions, and when I discovered one of them did not work in the way I anticipated, I started to investigate. Here is some (very preliminary) work.

For all buildings, I count the square where they appear as being square 0. I count the square where they turn around only once. I was using the Sandbox custom mission, on hard, with the enhancement pack, and with a single road block near where the settlers enter. Anyway, here's what I found:

Firewarden: My little guy had two ranges: 52 squares and 43 squares. The sequence of journeys was -43,43, 52, 43 and then repeat. Upon destroying and rebuilding the firehouse, I got -52, 43, 52, 43, repeat.

Magistrate: The magistrate had three ranges: 44 squares, 48 squares, and 54 squares. Three different trials produced different sequences: first was 48, -48, 44, 54 then -48, 54, -48, 54, -48, 54... I wasn't watching the courthouse from when it was first built, so the initial sequence is longer.

The second trial produced 48, 44,54, 44,54,44,-48, 44,48, then I missed one, then 54, 44, -48, 44, 54... this is either a really irregular sequence or I was daydreaming and missed a journey or two. Anyway, I took a third trial. This one was with the courthouse to the positive side of the housing:

The magistrate's journeys were -48, 54, -48, 44, -48, 54, -48, 54, -48, 54...

The first two trials had housing on either side of the Courthouse. The fact that the magistrate was making a special effort to go away from the center of the map made me wonder if they could "learn" where the people are. The fire warden did not learn, btw- when put on the positive side from the houses, the houses all burned down.

The physician had a periodicity similar to the magistrate with range 26 and 36, as follows: 26, -26, 26, 36 and repeat. This was with houses on both sides, in case that is important.

I didn't investigate the physician very long, though, so there may be something weird going on here too. I'm pretty sure that it is 26 squares and not 27.

Could someone else investigate these walkers and correct/extend these results? Despite the fact that my undergraduate degree is in honors mathematics, I've been known to count things twice and get different answers.

Regards,

Jimhotep

Replies:
posted 05-08-00 01:07 ET (US)     26 / 33  
I spent my weekend with watching these wacky walkers . I examined 2 big loops , one with 72 road tiles /L72/ and one with 68 road tiles /L68/ , and a block with a straight road system /S/ . In the loops there was only one service building from each type . Both loops had a pavilion as the only stub road possibility , with a roadblock at the end , otherwise the walkers could not escape from the loop . Both loops had only estates . I know that the word "looped" gives not enough info but it is more than nothing . In S there were many service buildings , i simply chose one to check . Here is what i experienced :

- municipial guys , dentist , herbalist : i have not found any problems with them and do not remember about any in the past . The only thing i do not understand is that why the magistrate and the tax collector appear there where they should disappear when coming out from their buildings .

- priests :
L72 : 26,37,-31,26 ; -31,26,26,31 ; -looped,37,26,26
L68 : 26,26,26,-looped ; 26,26,-33,26 ; 26,-looped,26,33
S : -31,26,41,31 ; 26,-26,31,39 ; -31,26,39,-26
Note that in S one priest visited both directions twice .
In L68 there was earlier a temple that sent its walker to only one direction . I replaced it with a library and the librarian behaved the same . Finally the mortician was clever enough to visit both directions .

- senet player /V=vanished/ :
L72 : 35V,35V,looped,-looped
L68 : 35V,35V,looped,35V
S : 37V,41,-39,61
Earlier I had many problems with the senet players , had to remove their building often to an other place until they gave full coverage . In L72 it happenned that he did actually a perfect coverage but reached the last 2 estates just too late and so they devolved . The senet player seems to be the walker resting the longest between two trips . Note that in L68 there is no visit toward the non-preferred direction . In S the 61 tiles long trip is quite impressive , this guy covers a 101 road tiles long area as being the only senet walker on the map . I have no idea why they vanish so often , probably due to the beer they drink instead of delivering it to the houses .

- water carrier :
L72 : 26,37,looped,-31
L68 : -looped,26,26,33
S : 26,36,-32,-30
In S all lengths are different , and two trips to each directions , probably they really learn where the houses are and so where to go .

- librarian :
L72 : 26,-26,41,-looped
L68 : 33,26,-looped,26
S : -31,49,37,-26
They also seem to prefer both directions . In L68 some estates are reached in the last minutes , just before devolving . The 49 tiles long journey in S is quite impressive again .

- teacher :
L72 : 34,-looped,-26,26
L68 : 26,-looped,looped,looped
S : 26,35,-26,-31
Again , preferring both directions .

- physician :
L72 : 26,26,32,-32
L68 : -33,26,26,31
S : 33,26,-35,26
The physician in S chose not the logical but the other direction as preferred .

- mortician :
L72 : looped,34,26,-32
L68 : looped,26,26,-31
S : 39,33,-26,-35
In S , this was the only mortician in the whole city . Probably learned again that he has to visit as many houses as he can .

-I think our walkers are not interested in where the centre of the map is when choosing the preferred direction , but the "where-more-people-live" theory seems to be quite OK .
-No idea why they sometimes try to visit only one direction .
-They usually make a longer trip toward their non-preferred direction , but unfortunatelly not always .
-It seems more or less random how far your walkers will go , even of the same type , but they must have some limits .
- Be careful with the small blessing of Bast if building such big blocks with minimal number of temples , it makes the priests disappear from the streets .

posted 05-09-00 22:58 ET (US)     27 / 33  
Tomek,

Well, I give up. I just don't understand the pattern behind those numbers. In my simple, simple little cities, it seemed to me that long walkers (fire, architect, police and Magistrate) went 44 or 52 squares, medium walkers (tax collectors and entertainers) went either 36 or 44, and everyone else was a short walker, and went either 26 or 36 squares.

But your data, based, I gather on quite a bit larger city, looks, well, random is not quite the word for it. The clearest pattern I can see is that of the numbers 26,31 and 39 occuring in the ratio 3:2:1. A lot of numbers occur only once, and might be mistaken observations, or (especially for those anomalous high numbers) flukes in the game.

But it is clear that walker ranges are more subtle and complex than I thought.

I'm stumped!

Regards,

Jimhotep

posted 03-12-01 05:36 ET (US)     28 / 33  

*bump* it up for the forum newbies and for those of us involved in some...remedial...training , if only there was a place to list a "the best of" series of threads, those threads that are so full of useful information that they should be required reading for all forum members...both old and new.

StarKey
proud citybuilder

posted 05-21-02 07:06 ET (US)     29 / 33  
May I ask how you have the time to sit and count the distance that walkers walk? I have either the Pharaoh demanding goods or the Gods go mad that they want to strike me down. I do put my game on 10% speed when I am first starting to design my city, but even then I still have trouble with Pharaoh and his goods or the Gods. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to enjoy the people walking and see the city work. I am doing house blocking (not a good job at it yet, but I am trying).

Queen Melissa1 (novice Pharaoh player and lover of building cities that work)

posted 05-21-02 08:35 ET (US)     30 / 33  
You can place the Festival Pavilion immediately. Just draw a 5x5 X and plunk it down anywhere. It doesn't need labor, fire protection, architects, or even any other road connection.

Offer a festival to your patron god immediately, and thereafter to the least pleased god whenever the current festival is announced.

This approach will carry you through the initial few years until you need the temples anyway, for housing development.

Extend your grasp of the Empire at Serpentineum
posted 05-21-02 10:45 ET (US)     31 / 33  
Queen Melissa1,

MarvL’s approach to keeping the Gods satisfied is a valid one. Another approach, which can be a little bit cheaper, is to build a few Shrines. At the beginning of a mission, I usually wait until the Gods are ‘displeased’ before I do anything. Then I will build two Shrines to the Patron God, and one Shrine to each of the Local Gods. You can build 5 Shrines for the cost of a Festival Square, and you don’t have the cost of the Festivals. This approach will keep the Gods ‘apathetic’ until your population exceeds 600.

With 600 citizens, I can get my export industries running and my city making a profit. When my city is out-of-debt and making a good profit, I start on expanding my city, upgrading my housing and feeding my people.

”May I ask how you have the time to sit and count the distance that walkers walk?”

We don’t do it while trying to play a mission. We are obsessive/compulsive types who set up special tests to watch these little fellows run around.

Vaia
posted 05-22-02 06:34 ET (US)     32 / 33  
Queen Melissa1,
May I suggest that when you start a mission, immediately pause the game. See what stuff (raw materials, food and other farm products, manufactured goods) can be produced. Check the world map to see what expensive goods you can sell. Look at the map and locate critical resources (such as marshes for reeds, stone for quarries, places for farms or fishing wharves, even watered ground in an arid map). Decide the location of the initial export production (or gold mines), the housing to support it, and (if you'll be trading by water) the dock. Only after a little planning should you set the speed to 10% and start building.
posted 05-23-02 01:28 ET (US)     33 / 33  
V_AIA:

Hey! I represent that! I poke my head out of my walker lab to see what the nice folks at Pharaoh Heaven are up to, and what do I find? I'm obsessive/compulsive. Bummer. And here all this time I thought I was just a control freak.

Queen Mel:

Believe Vitruvius. He speaks the sooth. Brugle too. They are our sages.

StephAmon

[This message has been edited by StephAmon (edited 05-23-2002 @ 01:31 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Those wacky walkers
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames