Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Housing Blocks
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 18  Next Page »
posted 11-24-00 17:49 ET (US)   
No one has posted any new housing blocks for a while, and I thought that it was time that someone (me) did so. You won’t find anything really new here, as this subject has been covered very well. Most of what I’m posting are just my variations on housing blocks that others have developed.

I have supplied the glyphs in this post with “tags”. To see what the glyph represents, just move your cursor over the symbol, and the tag will pop-up.

I have also posted housing blocks in the threads Baki-Balancing Housing Blocks and Ratings, Estate Block Alternatives and A New Concept for Housing Blocks.

Vaia

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 01-26-2006 @ 03:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-25-04 05:13 ET (US)     101 / 442  
Hmm, there are some very interesting idea's for housing blocks here. I'll be sure to try and incorporate them sometime. I have played this game a decent amount and learned that entertaining your people sucks.. :x My housing "blocks" that I designed are always in a straight line with entertainment at one end to prevent intersections (and maybe some schools at the dead end side if necessary to ensure coverage. I have had what I think is decent success. In my last city I had 3 blocks containing 37 Stately Manors and 4 fancy residences, none of which devolved at any time.

I do have a question though. When you are developing your blocks that contain 2x2 and 3x3 houses do you use small statues to ensure that they evolve into the most efficient form? I would assume that you do, but I am just curious. I evolved mine by building statues to block growth, then deleting them in order to evolve the housing the way I desired.

Also, how do I post the design for part of a city like the other posters did?

posted 04-25-04 15:07 ET (US)     102 / 442  
Hi KillerSim7, welcome to Pharaoh Heaven.

If you are having good success with "straight-line" blocks, then it makes sense to continue using them. (I have used them a few times in appropriate terrain.) However, other block designs can support more houses--block efficiency is sometimes important, especially at higher difficulty levels. I usually design a housing block around an intersection-free loop road, and I rarely have any problem with entertainment. I almost always provide music and dance coverage from entertainers walking from their "schools" to their venues. My most common entertainment configuration has 2 slightly separated pavilions with the entertainment schools connected to the opposite side of the block (like the diagram in reply #42, except with a booth only at an intersection), and similar blocks can be seen in many of my cities in the Downloads. However, sometimes different configurations seem better--my Bahariya Oasis may be an interesting example.

Using a solid object to block a house's expansion into the "wrong" place is a common technique. I prefer to use a cheaper object than a small statue, such as a bit of road (if it won't touch another road and won't become isolated from the rest of the city) or a well (if the ground has water).

If you aren't in a hurry, another technique to prevent incorrect house expansion is to place vacant lots only where they cannot expand into the "wrong" places, such as at the ends of a row of houses. Once those houses have expanded to their final sizes, place additional vacant lots next to the existing houses. Continue until all vacant lots are placed.

If you know the preferences for house expansion, as explained in my new Direction of house expansion thread, then you can place vacant lots in places where they will expand as desired. This technique can be combined with the previous ones.

In most of my recent cities, I have used a technique that might be considered "cheating". It depends on knowing the map locations where a square of four 1x1 houses (of the same type) will merge into a 2x2 house. I typically have run a few tests to discover where merging is allowed, designed the city using that knowlege, and then restarted the mission. (You can also find out where merging is allowed by using Nero Would's "spoiler" Excel spreadsheets, in the Downloads.) The housing blocks are designed so that most of the houses are in places where merging is allowed. By being careful in the play (initially placing 3 vacant lots for each house and adding the 4th only when appropriate), most houses form as 2x2s in the desired locations. Another technique must be used to ensure that the 2x2s expand into the correct 3x3 or 4x4 locations.

Glyphy diagrams can be generated using the Block Generator (also known as the housing layout generator) in our Strategy section.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 04-25-2004 @ 03:13 PM).]

posted 06-22-04 11:57 ET (US)     103 / 442  
nice topic...

is it just me that all the links to your other housing block topics do not work and take you back to the list of Pharaoh Help, Pharaoh scenario design and community forums?

I often make my own housing blocks every level because I cannot remember what i did the level before but the concept is always the same which I learnt from these forums..

Also I am at a loss over your housing block on page 3 reply #42 I found I could not place booths over 4 bits of road like that

but still love the ideas

[This message has been edited by Fruit Salad (edited 06-22-2004 @ 02:35 PM).]

posted 06-22-04 16:46 ET (US)     104 / 442  
Fruit Salad,

Although your last reply appears to be intended for VitruviusAIA, I don't suppose you care who answers.

Quite a while ago, the forums were restructured, and many of the links were broken. Clicking on one of those invalid links brings up the display you mentioned. If you know the thread name then you can find it using the Search function (at the bottom of the Game Help forum page). (Links were fixed in some of the commonly used threads, but most of the really old threads still have broken links.)

To make a booth at a corner that is not an intersection, build an intersection by adding an extra road tile, build the booth, then delete the extra road tile. Obviously, this should be done before the booth is surrounded by buildings. (I never use this trick and only build booths at permanent intersections.)

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 06-22-2004 @ 04:47 PM).]

posted 10-01-04 12:53 ET (US)     105 / 442  
Hello everyone!!

So here I am sharing my block and hoping to get some feedback on my way of work and findings. ...

In my attempt to put as much houses in a compact block, I came to the conclusion (while doing it) that a diagonallic approach is more effecient then the rectangular (known as the 'common housing block' in the shape of a square).

The advantages of the diagonallic approach is that many houses can be put in the corners and the statues in the middle give a desirabiltiy boost in every direction. Of course all the roads are plazas (for the noobs).
I know the loop is quite large but I have experienced no problems until now. Perhaps a very experienced player can give me feedback on these layouts?

This block will evolve into 52 Fancy Residences at Very Hard Difficulty (36 tiles to make the loop).

Osiris Temple
ApartmentApartmentSchool Tax CollectorBazaar
Fire Warden
Apartment
ApartmentApartmentApartmentMortuaryBazaar
ApartmentApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartmentWater Supply
Apartment
ApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentArchitect
ApartmentApartmentApartmentPhysician
ApartmentApartmentApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
Ptah TempleApartmentApartmentApartment
Apartment
DentistApartmentApartment
Fire WardenArchitectApartmentApartmentApartment
Music platformApartmentApartmentApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
Dance platform
Juggle platformApartmentApartmentFire WardenApothecaryCourthouseApartmentApartment
Music platform
Dance platform
Juggle platform

Legend

This block will evolve into 30 Elegant Manors at Very Hard Difficulty (34 tiles to make the loop). I doubt it will evolve into Stately Manor at very hard difficulty, haven't been able to test that. Perhaps someone can give me feedback on that.

ManorManorCourthouseBastet Temple
SchoolBazaar
ManorOsiris Temple
ManorManorDentistFire WardenShrineBazaar
ShrineShrineArchitect
ManorShrineApothecaryWater Supply
ManorManorManorManor
Tax Collector
ManorManorManorManorManorMortuary
Physician
ManorManorManorManor
Ptah TempleManor
Music platformLibraryManorManor
ManorManorManor
Dance platform
Juggle platform
ShrineShrineFire WardenManorManorManorManorManor
ShrineShrineShrine
ShrineShrineShrine
ShrineShrineShrine
ShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineMusic platform
ShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineDance platform
ShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineJuggle platform

Legend

This is all for now!! Feedback very much appreciated...

Greetz,
XtOf

posted 10-01-04 15:42 ET (US)     106 / 442  
xtof,

Your loops are very long (especially for higher difficulty levels): 68 tiles in the first diagram and 64 tiles in the second. I would expect to see occasional fires at Very Hard difficulty, and maybe even at Hard. In my experience, a long loop also makes it more likely (depending on the surrounding road network) that some walkers will never go by some buildings. (I suppose it's possible that walkers behave better on "diagonallic" loops.)

I don't know what you mean by "more efficient". A rectangular design with the same loop length (and in the same style) would be more compact and would have at least as many houses. Of course, almost any shape may work better than another in suitable terrain.

You seem to be interested in having lots of houses. Without lengthening the loop, you could squeeze in a few more if you took better advantage of corners (especially when the block has "kinks") and space behind 1x1 buildings. For some examples, see the blocks in my Waset (the spacious residence blocks have "kinks") and the largest block in my Thinis.

Your second diagram will support elegant manors at Very Hard difficulty only if city-wide entertainment coverage provides 10 "bonus points" (half of the maximum). I'm too lazy to check whether the houses have enough desirability to be stately manors at Very Hard, but they would have enough entertainment only if city-wide coverage for all possible venues is perfect.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 10-01-2004 @ 05:44 PM).]

posted 10-04-04 06:01 ET (US)     107 / 442  
Gosh, it's been a while since this thread last had a blue folder next to it...

Some players won't like the mass of shrine a the bottom of your manor block xtof... but then again you could easily disperse them throughout your city. And I really like the idea of having two pavilions at the bottom - one side served by one pavilion, the other by the other

[This message has been edited by WinterPharaoh (edited 10-05-2004 @ 01:36 PM).]

posted 10-04-04 11:47 ET (US)     108 / 442  
WinterPharaoh,
I think most people will understand your "one side served by one pavilion, the other by the other" comment, since that is a fairly common technique. I've been recommending it for almost 5 years, and (if I remember correctly) all of my non-contest cities in the downloads have at least one block with entertainment supplied that way. For another example (by VitruviusAIA) see reply #42 in this thread.
posted 10-05-04 06:11 ET (US)     109 / 442  
Brugle, that's true, but it is not so common to have two pavilions specifically for that block, but which are located in an isolated location next to the block, rather than inside the block itself or another nearby block.

What I mean is, most entertainment venues (in my experience), are either located SenetEr style inside the block:

ApartmentApartmentApartmentShrineShrineShrineApartmentApartmentApartment
Juggle platformDance platform
ShrineShrineApothecary
Music platform
ApartmentApartmentApartmentShrineShrineShrineShrineApartmentApartmentApartment
ShrineFire WardenArchitectShrine

Legend

On the loop road of the block itself:

Ra Temple
ApartmentApartmentApartment
Shrine
ShrineJuggle platformDance platformApartmentApartment
Shrine
ShrineMusic platform
Apartment

Legend

Or in another block entirely which has access only through the first block:

EstateEstateEstateEstate
ShrineShrineShrineEstate
ShrineShrineShrine
Estate
LibraryWater SupplyOsiris TempleRa TemplePtah TempleJuggle platform
Apothecary
Fire WardenArchitectDentist
ShrineMusic platformBazaarShrineMortuary
SchoolMusic platformShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrine
ShrineJuggle platformBazaarDance platformSenet HouseLibraryCourthouse
EstateJuggle platform
BazaarPhysicianApartmentTax Collector
ArchitectJuggle platformEstate
EstateShrineEstateShrineEstateShrineEstate
ShrineShrineShrine

Legend

Top is the central core of SenetEr's housing block
Centre is a randomly constructed corner of a larger block
Bottom is my modification of VAIA's Estate Block

In my experience anyway.

[This message has been edited by WinterPharaoh (edited 10-05-2004 @ 01:37 PM).]

posted 10-05-04 11:16 ET (US)     110 / 442  
WinterPharaoh,

"common" is not a precise term, so I don't want to argue over it.

It should be easy for most players to understand your "two pavilions specifically for that block, but which are located in an isolated location next to the block, rather than inside the block itself or another nearby block", since that configuration is, if not "common", at least not rare. (Actually, I consider the pavilions in xtof's reply #105 to be part of their blocks, since a "housing block" is more than just a road with adjacent structures.) Almost all of my cities have at least one block with entertainment supplied that way. (My Djedu is an exception, with entertainers going through some large blocks to a pavilion in an adjacent block.) When I look at cities by other players, I see entertainment supplied that way fairly often. (Of course, the cities I choose to download might be unusual.) And several players have described using such blocks, including VitruviusAIA in reply #42.

posted 10-05-04 14:36 ET (US)     111 / 442  
Brugle, I don't want to argue it either (well, alright, just one more time...), so let's just say that:

First of all, and most importantly, I have removed my whispers from the previous two posts, which could have been interpreted as patronising to some readers.

I can understand that there could be considerable debate about whether those said pavilions are in fact disconnected from the block at all. I personally consider them to be separate, due to the fact that they are on an isolated road which is not used for anything else. I understand that again, you may believe differently. However, if I were to use that block, or a similar block, in a city, that pavilion road would probably end up as the labor pickup for a large industrial area, which is obviously connected/related to the block, then I would consider that to be 'problem' solved. So much the better for me that it was designed that way rather than tacked on later, as I am wont to do.

I have used this general technique in my cities, but always the pavilion has been part of another (usually worker) block, the road to which leads through the (manor) block which is to recieve entertainment coverage by means of the passing performers. Or I would connect two blocks by means of a pavilion, such as Xtof's reply #87 to this thread, and inject entertainers from both ends.

Overall, I'm not saying that the technique of using passing desination-walker entertainers to provide coverage to houses is at all uncommon, just that Xtof's particular way of doing it is not a method I have seen done before. Now I come to think about it, it's a rather good idea and I'll probably try it myself.

Thankyou. Let's put this to rest now. (although having had my 'last word', you're entitled to yours...)

Great Itjtawy by the way Brugle - I've just had a look at it, and it runs like clockwork. I expect I'll have loads of questions in the other thread once I've had a proper must over it!

[This message has been edited by WinterPharaoh (edited 10-06-2004 @ 08:42 AM).]

posted 10-05-04 15:08 ET (US)     112 / 442  
To get this thread back on topic:

Although this is guaranteed to give any 'extra rules' people insomnia and nightmares, here's what I use on really BIG maps when I need to give my culture ratings a mega boost:

Senet HouseSenet House
CourthouseCourthouse
Water SupplyShrineShrineShrineWater Supply
Fire WardenShrineFire Warden
Osiris TempleOsiris Temple
ShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrine
ShrineShrine
Ptah TempleShrineJuggle platformMusic platformJuggle platformTax CollectorMusic platformJuggle platformJuggle platformShrineRa Temple
ShrineFire WardenFire WardenShrine
ShrineJuggle platformJuggle platformMusic platformMusic platformJuggle platformJuggle platformShrine
LibraryShrineShrineLibrary
ShrineApartmentDance platformDance platformApartmentShrine
ShrineShrine
LibraryShrineApartmentDance platformDance platformApartmentShrineLibrary
ShrineShrine
ShrineShrine
LibraryShrineJuggle platformJuggle platformMusic platformMusic platformJuggle platformJuggle platformShrineLibrary
ShrineJuggle platformJuggle platformMusic platformMusic platformJuggle platformJuggle platformShrine
ShrineShrine
SchoolShrineApartmentDance platformDance platformApartmentShrineSchool
ShrineShrine
SchoolShrineApartmentDance platformDance platformApartmentShrineSchool
ShrineShrine
MortuaryShrineShrineMortuary
PhysicianShrineJuggle platformMusic platformFire WardenFire WardenMusic platformJuggle platformShrinePhysician
ShrineTax CollectorShrine
ConservatoryShrineShrineShrineJuggle platformJuggle platformShrineShrineShrineStorage Yard
ShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrine
DanceschoolBazaarJuggler SchoolBazaarGranary

Legend

Not cheap, won't pay for itself or provide its own workers, but it does look rather pretty and it gives the most monolithich ratings boost. holds 736 at fancy residence and pays 1760Db per year in tax (again, at fancy residence.

If you don't need that much entertainment, or don't have the space, just cut off sections of it until you get the values you need. The idea for the four central dance stages in this block comes from Vriesa, in reply #6 of VAIA's Estate Block Alternatives.

posted 11-02-04 00:18 ET (US)     113 / 442  
Hi people,

Just a note to mention that I was having trouble finding the legend for the housing layout symbols, since the link that's been posted under all the layouts in this thread appears to be wrong.

At present they are all, even the very latest ones, leading to:

http://caesar3.heavengames.com/strategy/tiles/legend.shtml

(which doesn't exist).

I did a bit of scouting around and found the actual page at:

http://pharaoh.heavengames.com/strategy/tiles/legend.shtml

Phew! Now I know what to put where!

posted 12-07-04 16:18 ET (US)     114 / 442  
I was trying a lot lately designing my very own house block, and i came up to this:
BazaarShrineMortuaryBazaarCourthouse
LibraryFire Warden
Juggle platformArchitectDentistShrineApothecaryJuggle platformWater Supply
Tax CollectorApartmentShrineOsiris Temple
Apartment
ApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
ApartmentApartment
BazaarPhysicianDance platformMusic platformShrineShrine
SchoolApartmentApartmentApartment
Ra TempleShrineJuggle platformApartment
ApartmentApartmentWater SupplyApartmentApartmentApartment

Legend
What do you think?
posted 12-11-04 10:05 ET (US)     115 / 442  
Try this one for size (or lack of!):

CourthouseOsiris Temple
Physician
Apartment
Apartment
ApartmentWater SupplyArchitectJuggle platform
Tax CollectorApartment
ApartmentBazaar
SchoolApartment
ApartmentFire WardenDentist
Apartment
Ra TempleMusic platformJuggle platformMortuary

Legend

The smallest block I've been able to create - a mere 13x10, with good access for feeder roads. Holds 736 at fancy residence and pays 1616Db per year (at full occupancy and 10% rate). Great for servicing industries and for cramming onto small islands...

"You're just jealous because the little voices talk to me!" - Sara Rain Morgan

[This message has been edited by WinterPharaoh (edited 12-11-2004 @ 10:09 AM).]

posted 12-11-04 14:30 ET (US)     116 / 442  
*Trying to not sound rude*
Are you talking to me?
posted 12-12-04 04:24 ET (US)     117 / 442  
No, I'm talking to myself - I just want to put it on the forums so I can print it off and shove it in my Pharaoh folder for later use. You might find it useful, however.

posted 12-12-04 12:39 ET (US)     118 / 442  
If the block is going to be so tiny, why must it be a loop at all? Why not:

ApartmentScribal SchoolCourthouseOsiris Temple
Apartment
Water SupplyPhysicianApartment
Apartment
BazaarMortuaryApartment
Apartment
DentistFire WardenArchitect's PostApartment
Ra Temple
Music StageJuggler BoothTax CollectorApartment
Legend

Same stats as above, but 11x10 footprint. Or, if you're slightly losing the point of the exercise, and also only want to go up to common residence, how about:

ApartmentPhysicianCourthouseRa Temple
ApartmentArchitect's Post
BazaarMortuaryFire Warden
Water SupplyApartment
ApartmentMusic StageJuggler BoothScribal SchoolApartment
Legend

Which is really just a few glorified feeder huts. I really don't like the second one - it looks messy and I had to sacrifice housing in search of a reduced footprint. But the first one will definitely find its way into the tiny gap between the large pyramid and the river in my latest city...

posted 12-12-04 12:40 ET (US)     119 / 442  
Hmn... why the huge gaps in the above post? I must investigate...

posted 12-12-04 14:35 ET (US)     120 / 442  
You might wanna try and have a look at this block by SenetEr. This is IMHO the ultimative small block and I use it all the time
posted 12-15-04 17:16 ET (US)     121 / 442  
I have a favor to ask of you. My Internet browser, Mozilla Firefox won't show the name of glyphs when I hover over them, neither has the legends link posted ever worked using Internet Explorer or Mozilla at home or work. I'm in the dark so to speak, could you type a reply with the glyph and what it represents and then I could print myself a copy?
Thanks, and I like your blocks.
posted 12-16-04 04:23 ET (US)     122 / 442  
Welcome to the forums, NAFTA, since I haven't said it already!

Cycloneviv, second link (in reply #113 above) works. Try it.

Or if you go to the "block generator" on the PharaohHeaven homepage, you can get a long list of what each glyph means by pressing the "legend" button. Hope one or other of these works for you.

[This message has been edited by WinterPharaoh (edited 12-16-2004 @ 04:23 AM).]

posted 12-16-04 14:53 ET (US)     123 / 442  
BTW, this is for moderators, the legend button on all these posts, except this one which uses hover over glyph function, the link is wrong and should be changed to http://pharaoh.heavengames.com/strategy/tiles/legend.shtmlas opposed to caesarIII.heavengames. Thank you, and also, the bazaar is not in the glyphs legend.
posted 12-16-04 18:57 ET (US)     124 / 442  
[Edited]

[This message has been edited by Guzzardo23 (edited 12-16-2004 @ 06:59 PM).]

posted 12-16-04 20:02 ET (US)     125 / 442  
Vitruvius, I played Pharaoh today, first time, and used your block in the 5th mission, that thing works like magic, awesome.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 18  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Housing Blocks
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames