Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Estate Block Alternatives
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-02-00 23:14 ET (US)   
This post is a continuation of my Housing Blocks thread. I'm making this post to answer a question put to me by Vriesea.

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 12-02-2000).]

Replies:
posted 12-07-03 13:39 ET (US)     26 / 31  
VAIA,

I don't really know whether this is the right post to put this on, but I think it will get lost in your 'Housing Blocks' thread.

For a long time I've been a big fan of SenetEr's idea of putting Pavillions inside housing blocks - so much so that I almost never do it any other way.

A while back I found a way to fit a Pavillion inside your Double Estate Block. It's hardly rocket science, but I thought some members of the forums would appreciate it.

LibraryOsiris TempleRa TempleWater SupplyPtah TempleJuggle platform
Apothecary
Dentist
BazaarDance platformSenet House
Bazaar
Music platformFire Warden
BazaarSchoolApartmentShrineMortuaryTax CollectorPhysicianFire Warden
ShrineJuggle platform

Legend

Did it work? (I've only just learned how to use the Glyphgenerator).

As you pointed out in numerous threads relating to various worker blocks, loops with several intersections don't work on harder dificulty levels. I personally gave up playing on hard a while back, when I bought other PC games, but others might not have.

The only thing I don't like about this modification is that you have to put a firehouse inside the loop, which in turn means you have to have a fancy residence inside the loop. The pavillion layout is a bit wierd, what with the four road tiles in a square, but it can easily be placed when north is top-left. I haven't tried it any other way, as I've only ever built it in one city. I usually don't have a space the right shape for a 31 x 25 block!

Well here you go. There it is. The usual 'rules' for the double estate block still apply, as can be found in your 'Housing Blocks' thread. Thankyou, I can now finally print off an image of my block!

posted 12-09-03 14:17 ET (US)     27 / 31  
Hello WinterPharaoh. Welcome to our forums.

There are two ways to provide entertainment to your houses. Entertainment walkers (jugglers, musicians, dancers) generated by the pavilion must walk past the houses OR the entertainment walkers must pass by your houses on the way from the school (jugglers school, conservatory, dance school) on their way to the pavilion.

Entertainers from the schools will take the shortest path available to the pavilion. If the entrance to the estate block is from the left (as shown in my example) the entertainers will not pass by the majority of the estates.

The roadblocks at the pavilion will prevent the entertainers generated by the pavilion from entering the loop unless they happen to “teleport”. I’m not sure what causes a walker to “teleport”; I just know that it sometimes happens. If the musicians and dancers do not “teleport” to the loop road, you design will not work.

“Teleporting” is the term that we use to describe a walker that does not begin his/her walk on an adjacent road tile (which they typically do) and instead first appear on a road tile further away from the structure.

Vaia
posted 01-05-04 15:30 ET (US)     28 / 31  
Thankyou for the welcome, VAIA.

Well there you go, you learn something new every day, don't you? I suppose now I think about it, it would get rather confusing. I just assumed it would work because it did for me in Hepetsenusret, although having perfect ratings for all the 'arts' (through culture parks, I must confess, but it was my second time through, and I couldn't be bothered to build them into a new housing block) might have had something to do with it.

One thing I did realise in Hep was that in some orientations the Osiris priest will just get jammed up in the pavilion, and not service the people (apart from the 92 lucky folks in the fancy residence). This can be solved by moving the water carrier betwen the library and the temple. Like this:

LibraryWater SupplyOsiris TempleRa TemplePtah TempleJuggle platform
Apothecary
Dentist
BazaarDance platformSenet House
Juggle platform
Bazaar
Music platformFire Warden
BazaarSchoolApartmentShrineMortuaryTax CollectorPhysicianFire Warden
ShrineJuggle platform

Legend

Well good evening for now. I might have a check and see what happened with my block, but then again I might not. It just depends on whether I can be bothered to load up my Hep again.

posted 01-06-04 10:12 ET (US)     29 / 31  
Please note that my last estates block at Very hard works perfectly with 19 estates and 3 bazaars (available in my IKEN upload.
The 20 palatial estates block I designed in Alexandria is less viable.
posted 01-10-04 17:01 ET (US)     30 / 31  
About these patterns... .I ussualy put the houses more randomly, and i sucsed in making them evolve, somehow... .
posted 01-11-04 14:12 ET (US)     31 / 31  
Hi again.

OK, I decided that I could be bothered to have a check, and you hit it right on the nose, VAIA - teleporting entertainers are indeed the culprit. I tested it on Very Hard just to make sure it works (burned down most of the rest of my city doing it, but there you go) and it works perfectly.

But I guess that teleporting entertainers might not be allowed in some people's 'aditional rules', so here's a 'legal' idea:

EstateEstateEstateEstate
ShrineShrineShrineEstate
ShrineShrineShrine
Estate
Apothecary
Fire WardenArchitectDentist
ShrineMusic platformBazaarShrineMortuary
SchoolMusic platformShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrine
ShrineJuggle platformBazaarDance platformSenet HouseLibraryCourthouse
EstateJuggle platform
BazaarPhysicianApartmentTax Collector
ArchitectJuggle platformEstate
EstateShrineEstateShrineEstateShrineEstate
ShrineShrineShrine

Legend

This works perfectly and legaly, PROVIDED that:

1. The exit out the other end leads to another block which has a pavilion,

2. The road to the block which leads through the Estate block is at least two squares shorter than the next shortest route.

3. North is top-left or bottom-left

If north is top- or bottom-right, then you have to modify it slightly, to this:

Apothecary
Fire WardenDentistCourthouse
BazaarSchoolJuggle platformMusic platformArchitectShrineShrineShrineShrineShrineShrine
BazaarSchoolDance platformSenet HouseShrineApartment
Shrine
BazaarPhysicianMortuaryTax CollectorSchoolFire Warden
Juggle platform

Legend

And this also comes with a side-benefit - extra culture!! In the top version, you may notice an extra scribal school and an extra Library. And in the bottom version, two extra scribal schools. So not only do you get 'legal' entertainment, but also semilegal education (because the schools ARE inside the block, aren't they?).

So there you go.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Estate Block Alternatives
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames