Technical Forum
Moderated by Jayhawk

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Caesar 3 crash / lock
posted 01-12-14 15:45 ET (US)   
Hello,

I was recently playing through Carthago when Caesar 3 would lock up on me. I did quite a bit of troubleshooting and eventually determined that my saved game was probably corrupt.

I tend to make new saves as I progress through a scenario (carthago 1, carthago 2, etc.). I was around 20 saves when the game started consistently crashing. I loaded the last several saves I had made and they all eventually locked up on me.

It seems odd that all of my saves would become corrupt simultaneously, so here's my question: does anyone know if Carthago is a "problem" scenario? In other words, does it have a history of becoming corrupt?

Carthago features natives that try to walk wherever they want. I was wondering if building too close to their huts messed up their pathing. Also, Carthago features fishing but sometimes I saw birds pretty far inland and in strange patters (many flocks side-by-side). I was wondering if that might be a sign of some corruption.

Any insights are appreciated!
Replies:
posted 01-12-14 17:19 ET (US)     1 / 2  
In Caesar 3, if you build many structures and have many walkers, the game starts behaving strange. Personally I've seen half Colosseums out in the water and wolves and sheep on the flotsam in rivers. I've never experienced a crash though. When this starts happening there's a risk of corrupted save games.

Caesar 3 is a bit sensitive to programs running in the background don't like it if the hard disk gets too fragmented. This can lead to crashes and corrupted saves.

Caesar 3 is an old game (released in 1998) so there might also arise problems when playing on modern operating systems.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
posted 01-12-14 17:45 ET (US)     2 / 2  
Hi funkatron3000,
does anyone know if Carthago is a "problem" scenario
Yes, it is on some computers. (Many players, including me, didn't have that problem.) Impressions wasn't able to figure out either the problem or which computers would have the problem. For some people, the only way to play Carthago was to use a different computer. (Carthago is the only mission with this problem.)
I was wondering if building too close to their huts messed up their pathing.
No, it doesn't.
I saw birds pretty far inland and in strange patters (many flocks side-by-side). I was wondering if that might be a sign of some corruption.
No, it isn't. It is caused by a fishing spot that is close to the edge of the map.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 01-12-2014 @ 05:46 PM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Technical Forum » Caesar 3 crash / lock
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames