Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Timeless Lugdunum
posted 08-13-08 02:40 ET (US)   
Lugdunum is probably the best designed mission in all career scenarios for it brings C3 beginners to considerate players. You may win all previous career missions by luck, but never Lugdunum. It's not only counting the beans, but learning skills and knowledge of this game as well.

Lugdunum never fail to bring me fun. Whenever I start it there's always something new to learn. Untill this day, Lugdunum is my favorate mission in C3.

I've started building my new Lugdunum in a new way.
Here's my personal rules:

1.Prosperity 100, Culture 100;
2.No house under Grand Insulae;
3.No gatehouse except in walls;
4.No devlotion for at least 2000 years after the city is done;
5.City is fully conected by roads or gardens;

All rules above I have used in my previous cities. But for a city as interesting as Lugdunum, I'd like to add a few new:

6.All 3 islands are used as starting position and no drewller on them is temperatary.
7.No industy on the mainland, all industies must be on the islands.
8.No mission post. Leave the natives alone.
9.No rescue loan, tax rate never higher than 8%.
10.Everyone recieves the service of theater, academy and colosseum.
11.All markets, baths, fountains are upgraded as well as the senate. All bridge must be ship bridge though no ship.
12.Delete as few trees as possible.

I started Lugdunum at hard level for 5000 Dn(my 1.00 version cannot choose difficulty). Before everything I built 3 ship bridges, which cost 1960 Dn so only 3040 Dn are left hoping this makes it close to the very hard level. Road network, fountains and reserviors are built and several drewllers are layed in those isles. 1 iron mine follewed by 2 weapon workshops were built in the eastern isle and granary , Mercury temple plus warehouse in the middle isle. Trade route was opened after the first two weapons found in warehouse and no more than 250 Dn was left. I got only 62 Dn when caravans reached warehouse in time, so glad this prevented rescue loan.

When economics grew better, Mercury's blessing filled the granary. I had no more than 300 people by then and that amount of food would peace the settlers for a while.

Marbles and later potteries were sold and a Neptune's blessing brought me enough funds to explore the land that the natives claims as their own.

After the javelin soldiors cleaned the wolves, I began planning my city right beside the natives. By carefully designing the roads and aqueducts, I managed to start an outpost there without interfering the natives too much.

Everything went on well since then with exceptions of food and importing. I found oil buyers, fruit buyers, fruit sellers and wood sellers always mess things up. Their innocent choice led to wheat shortage and meat overflow which later caused devotion becouse of insufficient oil and furniture supply.

I had to restart, gladly rather than sadly because I knew I learned something new. It really took me some time figuring out how to make the food and importing well pace with population growth, which I must use every thing I knew to accomplish.

Finally the city is done. The city has 51 Grand Insulaes, 2 Grand Villas and 1 Meddium Villa in all ( 7 Grand Insulaes on the hill, 31 near the native village, 6 on the farming isle, 7 on the middle isle, 2 Grand Villa and 1 Meddium on the eastern isle).

Now that the city is almost finished. I canceled the landslides before I started running it at 100% speed.

[This message has been edited by whisperwind777 (edited 08-13-2008 @ 08:08 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-13-08 05:10 ET (US)     1 / 2  
There are two things I don't understand. One is why you don't patch your game, is there no patch for the version you have? Money is only one of the aspects when playing at very hard.

The other are you references to the natives. Either you have missions and you can trade and build on the native land as far as huts are covered, or you don't (ever) and you don't interfere with the natives at all. I am only aware of a single map in which in order to reach victory it was necessary to build on native land and constantly engage fights with angry natives. I don't think that is what you are trying in your endless Lugdunum. (BTW you can freely build roads on native land, it has no effect on their mood)

I'm glad you like the game so much. Don't forget to upload when you have finished your city.

[This message has been edited by joshofet (edited 08-13-2008 @ 05:12 AM).]

posted 08-13-08 07:41 ET (US)     2 / 2  
You are right. I am far off home right now. I am currently using someone else's computer and the c3 version is neither for British nor North America. I don't know which version it is though it is an English version. I cannot find any patch available for it.

And for the second question there is never a mission post in my Lugdunum. I only built road and gardens on their lands, I changed their roads a bit to connect the upper farming land and the rest of my city together. I simply didn't build any building on their lands even though there are quite a few of buildings very close to their lands. It was not that I don't want to teach the natives about the culture of Rome, I just don't have labor for the missionaries. Besides I am pretty sure that native trader would of course destory the economic system I carefully planned by simply purchasing pottery from my warehouses. So the natives are ignored in peace. It seems they don't mind straigers passing their village frequently as long as nobody digs in their backyard .

I will upload the file once demogragh gets steady.

[This message has been edited by whisperwind777 (edited 08-13-2008 @ 08:04 AM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Timeless Lugdunum
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames