File Details
Campaign: Peaceful
Mission: Caesar: Massilia
Population: 9201
Culture rating: 100
Prosperity rating: 100
Peace rating: 46
Favor rating: 99
I started to enjoy Massilia as soon as I saw the map. Planning and building the city for the first time was loads of fun, and I liked the final city enough to put it in the Caesar III Heaven downloads. As I often did back then, I built Massilia the easy way by making all houses either small casas or luxury palaces. However, after playing some Pharaoh, I finally saw the joy in consistently building better working-class houses. Since I love to eat, I want everyone to consume at least two foods. I decided to build a "Happy Massilia" with all houses grand insulaes or better. For fun, I made these goals for Happy Massilia: a) The city is stable (no devolution, no fires, etc) without player intervention (except to fight invaders, dispatch requests, and match wage changes) for many years. (The only instability should be the eventual worker shortage caused by shifting demographics.) At most 25 carts/year of olives may be imported, which limits the number of stable oil-using houses to 104. b) All houses are either grand insulaes or luxury palaces. c) Prosperity is 100. This means (with the above goals and the population requirement of 8000) that 2 luxury palaces are both necessary and sufficient. I decided to build 8. d) Culture is 100. Not-too-large concentrations of Culture buildings are permitted, if they're near large housing blocks. (What's too large? I don't know.) e) Entertainment venues always have shows (2 shows in the amphitheaters and the colosseum). f) A reasonable number of nearby houses supply labor access to all buildings, (conveniently) ignoring that patricians don't work. (What's reasonable? I don't know.) g) The city is well defended, with 6 forts (3 of them legionaries) and lots of towers all around. All those towers need plenty of workers, so I decided to build 92 grand insulaes. h) The senate and governor's residence are near the best houses. i) The senate, markets, baths, and fountains are all upgraded (fountains at least once). I failed with this goal, since one fountain didn't upgrade. (3 grand insulaes around a granary on the small rocky island used up all of the desirability boosters.) j) Where possible, exports of manufactured goods are close to maximized. Due to limited olive and clay imports, oil sales are miniscule and pottery sales are moderate, but furniture is a big moneymaker. (Of course, taxation brings in a lot more revenue.) k) Some of all locally-produced foods and goods are stored in warehouses, ready for requests. For more fun, I made additional goals for building the city: 0) No cheats, of course. 1) Hard difficulty. 2) No use of personal funds. (No gifts to Rome or to the city.) 3) No debt. This means that the "rescue gift" is not taken. 4) All requests dispatched on time. (If olives or oil had been requested after most of the houses were built, it wouldn't have been sent, but fortunately Rome wasn't that cruel.) 5) Satisfaction of all requirements (except Peace) and other goals in 11 years. This goal wasn't quite met, since 7 towers either didn't have ballistas or hadn't yet been built at the end of the 11th year. The population stabilizes at 9328 in the 13th year, with 7% unemployment. Unemployment is still 5% at promotion at the end of the 16th year, and stays positive for 5 more years. Happy Massilia has flaws. Perhaps worst is that there are only 3 amphitheaters, 1 colloseum, and 1 hospital. Palaces supply labor access to some buildings. Culture buildings may be too concentrated. Some people consider gatehouses outside of defensive walls to be ugly. And there's that pesky unupgraded fountain! The game is saved in the 12th year, just after troops are sent to repel an invasion. Two forts of soldiers (legionaries and javelins) and a row of towers (with a fort of cavalry watching) will defeat the attackers so quickly that the spirit of Mars won't even wake up. Two more forts of soldiers will arrive just after the battle ends.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
guane2009 My favorite Brugles' cities. Very compact and efficient. I am getting to use the Grand Insulae loop with 41 houses, wow!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:920
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:120.27 KB
Added:12/27/01