Mission: Engineer: Capua
Difficulty: Hard
Population: 10300
Culture rating: 43
Prosperity rating: 63
Peace rating: 81
Favor rating: 36
Minimap:
This city was built in response to a thread on the C3 forum about the maximum population that could be achieved in the career mission of Capua.

My intention was to get a total population of 10k. The city is laid out with six housing blocks of varying sizes. The citizens only eat wheat and therefore all the housing is Large Insulae, with the exception of one house which is a Medium Insulae.

Because there is no patrician housing (villas or palaces) there's a considerable unemployment problem (16%) in spite of having 30 hospitals which contribute nothing to the city and 24 libraries (only six of which contribute anything) to mop up some of the unemployment. This is the aspect of this completed city that I am least happy about.

Favour was kept low to avoid 'winning' the mission by not always complying with Caesar's requests.

The population at the time of the save is 10300 and if you run it on for a couple of years or so it is not completely stable but generally atays around the 10300 mark.

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
GovernorSimulus Nice go at Career Capua. :)

A few things about the hospitals:

1. You could have replaced them with academies for less construction cost (100 dn per academy vs. 300 dn per hospital) for the same number of workers employed.

2. Academies will boost your culture rating.

3. You can think of your hospital complex as an additional "secret" requirement Caesar gave you since "he now wishes to build the greatest hospital in all the empire, and has set you the task of complete it" etc. ;-)

I think you could also have replaced the hospital complex with another housing block, it would still be at a reasonably close distance to the W granary, since you are producing food for 12k. I certainly think you could have fit 11k or even 12 into this map with a bit of modification.
Granite Q
Staff
File Author
Thank you for your comments, GovernorSimulus.

I did quickly try the suggestion in your last paragraph, deleting the hospitals and building a seventh housing block. Although it evolved to LI's, momentarily achieving a population of around 11.5k, other housing blocks devolved due to lack of furniture, pottery and sometimes down to tents due to a lack of food.

I suspect the food and goods distribution system is only practical for the six housing blocks shown.

[Edited on 01/26/12 @ 06:24 AM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:226
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:98.11 KB