You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

HeavenGames News
Moderated by Scipii, Alexastor, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Apple iPad finally announced!
posted 01-27-10 05:08 PM CT (US)   

After years of rumors and speculation, Apple finally announced the long-awaited iPad officially. It is 0.5 inch thick and weighs 1.5 pounds with a 9.7-inch IPS display, described by Apple CEO Steve Jobs as "super high quality."

In total there will be six models: 16GB ($499), 32GB ($599), 64GB ($699), 16GB 3G ($629), 32GB 3G ($729), 65GB 3G ($829).

The WiFi only versions will be made available worldwide in late March while the 3G models will be on shelves in late April.

All iPhone applications, such as games, will be compatible with the iPad: playable in a boxed window or full-screen through upscaling.

A new iPhone SDK will be available from today on to give devs full advantage of the larger display.
For instance Gameloft's previously released iPhone shooter N.O.V.A. will be modified for the iPad.

Electronic Arts, with EA VP Travis Boatman describing the iPad as almost like holding a high-definition display inches from your face, will be releasing several titles for it as well, including Need for Speed: Shift.

[ It might be still too expensive to replace Netbooks, especially for writing work. And it's definitely too big for kids. -Alexastor ]

[This message has been edited by Alexastor (edited 01-27-2010 @ 05:10 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-27-10 06:41 PM CT (US)     1 / 14  
Am I the only one wondering how you hold it?

posted 01-27-10 06:45 PM CT (US)     2 / 14  
Like a notebook or magazine, I'd imagine...?

Wonder how powerful it could be for games.

Zen
posted 01-27-10 08:05 PM CT (US)     3 / 14  
Man, screw Apple.

I hate it when you buy one product from there, they soon release something that overshadows it.

I still have my old iPod Touch but If I want it to have speakers and use it as a phone, I have to buy the next thing which costs even more.
16GB 3G ($629)
O dear lord.

A green great dragon.
posted 01-27-10 08:51 PM CT (US)     4 / 14  
I think the nice thing about it is the cheap 3G connectivity without the contract---$30/month unlimited, prepaid. Everything else... meh. Though I'm sure some developers will come up with the killer app for it.

Zen
posted 01-27-10 09:12 PM CT (US)     5 / 14  
cheap
Zen
HG CTO / Owner

4:45 PM - Papaya: can I say that I want to put a ****ing knife in his throat and then take it back

If you don't like it here, we're not making you stay, so please, feel free to leave so Hook and I can make love to each other in peace.~ Shanks
posted 01-27-10 09:46 PM CT (US)     6 / 14  
cheap compared top existing plans :P

Zen
posted 01-27-10 10:41 PM CT (US)     7 / 14  
Whenever I hear about gaming on an i*insert name*, I cringe. The WiFi alone makes it a mediocre gaming machine; I mean, it can't even handle flash.
posted 01-28-10 04:18 AM CT (US)     8 / 14  
IMHO it looks... fat, but then there is the view from the side showing it's only 0.5 inch thick.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
posted 01-29-10 02:36 AM CT (US)     9 / 14  
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=9694366

Oh hey even Nintendo hates it. I guess they would because it could be a competitor to the DS.
posted 01-29-10 06:37 AM CT (US)     10 / 14  
I hardly think so. Not much more of a threat than a laptop.

I myself would never bring that thing outside if I would get one.

4:45 PM - Papaya: can I say that I want to put a ****ing knife in his throat and then take it back

If you don't like it here, we're not making you stay, so please, feel free to leave so Hook and I can make love to each other in peace.~ Shanks
posted 01-29-10 09:43 AM CT (US)     11 / 14  
Yah I really don't see the niche this is supposed to fill? It's in an uncomfortable place between a phone and a Laptop, without the defining features of either.

"we have an agenda, a character assassination agenda, assassinating characters is what we do for a living" - Sukkit
posted 01-29-10 10:30 AM CT (US)     12 / 14  
Wow, it can't multitask so you can not have your IM program open while checking out HeavenGames... and flash also still does not work.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 01-29-2010 @ 10:31 AM).]

posted 01-29-10 10:50 AM CT (US)     13 / 14  
People are really hating this thing.... I also found these hilarious....

Ipad vs a rock

What it really is,

its function.

A green great dragon.
posted 01-29-10 12:29 PM CT (US)     14 / 14  
HeavenGames » Forums » HeavenGames News » Apple iPad finally announced!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
HeavenGames