You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Kongou Dess, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ore, ore, eveywhere and not a rock to smelt... Hit and run in space skirmish and how it relates to the game.
posted 04-16-06 07:31 PM EDT (US)   
Mines. The lifeblood of your economy, where you get your credits to build mighty ships, create invincible armies and afford delightful companions from the seedier districts of Nar Shadda.

But in this game, it allows you to afford station upgrades, ships and technologies.

Obviously, if you can get more of these than your enemy, then you will have a signifigant advantage. But how do you do that? Well, this is where the difference between the Imperials and Rebels comes into play.

The Imperials are like a boulder at the top of the hill. They won't be very fast (powerful) in the beginning, but when they get going they're very difficult to defeat. The rebels are the opposite. In relative comparison to the Empire, they are strongest near the beginning of the game.

The playstyle of the two factions is paramount.

Rebels

The Rebellion's early units are designed for hit and run. This is defined as "Moving quickly to destroy an enemy mine and then retreating before too many ships can be lost." This is the way the rebellion wins.

The rebellion early line-up is perfect for hit and run. Corellian Corvettes are faster, more durable and generally more accurate then their Imperial Counterparts and are capable of moving quickly. The X-Wings are also capable of moving quickly and are superior to Tie-Fighters.

The smart rebel player will want to leverage his early game military advantage as early as possible. Early mine building is critical, so the rebel player should move swiftly to strike as soon as possible.

Keep Corvettes in your reserve and scout the map with your X-Wings. When you find an enemy mine, bring your Corvettes in from hyperspace. This allows them to arrive extremely quickly and surprise the enemy. Mines are easily destroyed, so focus your fire on them early. After that, you should be able to handle any Imperials around. However, if they bring in more forces then you, or their station is firing on you, don't hesitate to retreat. Your mission has been accomplished.

Destroying enemy mines early in the game is a critical blow. In the beginning, after buying their initial corvettes, both players have a low amount of cash left, with their flow very slow. Mines are quite expensive in the early game and a loss is a serious setback.

Imperials

You're at a disadvantage here. But don't worry, that will change if you survive economically long enough. Simply, to avoid just having your mines destroyed, you need to hit the rebels first. Unofrtunately, you arne't likely to be able to keep your forces alive and destroy their mines at the same time. Well, that's your only option at this point.

Against a skilled rebel player, there is really no early defense against a rush. Ship for ship in the beginning, the rebels are simply stronger. The answer is quite simply to hit their mines and force them to avoid yours.

Although the rebel ships are superior, you can still destroy their mines fairly easily with two Tartans. If you can get through the early stages of the game with your mines mostly intact, you stand an excellent chance of winning.

How so? you ask. The devil is in the details.

In terms of cost effectiveness, the Imperial vessels are more cost effective then their rebel counterparts. The free fighters each Star Destroyer variant receives (infinitely respawning) tips the scales of lategame to the Imperial side.

-----

Basically, to sum it all up;

1. The Rebels best chance of winning is to aggressively establish dominance of the map early to prevent the Empire to utilize their strengthes.

2. The Empire's best chance of winning is to prevent their economy from being destroyed by the rebels early in the game, allowing them to utilize their more cost effective forces.

Replies:
posted 04-16-06 07:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 2  
An example of Persia's description of the Imperials vs Rebels.

In an online space skirmish over Geonosis (broad map, key for good rushes and space battles) I was the Empire, another player was Rebels.

The first to attack was the Rebels, with a rush of fighters and corvettes. He probably could have beaten me if he hadn't called off his attack midway through, (i was running low on resources, and my tartan's fighters were being pwned). However, once he broke away, I immediately pulled in 2 Acclamators for an all out assault on his space station while he was counting his losses. Along the way, I cut of his resource control to only one resource station (while I maintained 3 or so). During the final battle, at the end, though I proved victorious, he lost only 3 Nebulon-3 ships, while I lost 10 acclamators. For every time I lost an acclamator, another was ready for battle, meaning that I was gathering resources at a fast enough rate to always have 2 in battle, (plus a squadron of fighters and bombers spawning from the acclamator, which is what really proved to make me the victor).

I agree that the Rebels are strong at the beginning, but once the Empire reaches the second tech level, beware of rushes that will cripple you almost completely, before finally destroying your space station.

Whoa.
posted 04-16-06 08:48 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2  
Yes, the Empire has tech 2-4 in space skirmish. 1 and 5 are Rebel tech levels, though 3 and 4 can be contested between the two. Correlian Gunsips really swing the ballance, and then Ackbar and Mon Cals destroy the Empire. ISD's can;t beat Mon Cal's if Correlian Corvettes are around, and Correlian Gunships are like stoats. Stoat vs. house cat, its 50/50 whos going to win. Correlian Gunsips can hold the line of the Rebellion until the heavy hitting MC80's get there. Plus, the Falcon and Red Squadron are perfect for raids, while Antilles is good at engaing anything upto an Acclamator, and can destroy a Victory with proper support.

On the Empires side, you have to hit early and hard, and try to control more mines. If the enemy gets even 1 MC80, and they have a decent fleet, then there is one place on the map that you can't really afford to attack. Two ISD's will kill the MC80, but if it has support troops, then you have to bring your own, and then the Rebellion might break through somewhere, and destroy mines. Then you are on the defesive, and the enemy can choose where to fight.

Normality is a myth, made up by people who are afraid of who they really are.~~~kypjargon
Winner of the Moff Award for Insight That Will Likely Get the Wearer Shot One Day
Dedicated RPer
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven » Forums » Strategy » Ore, ore, eveywhere and not a rock to smelt... Hit and run in space skirmish and how it relates to the game.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven | HeavenGames