Please login or register

Strategy
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Kongou Dess, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Trench Warfare, the Art of a Defensive Attack
posted 06-05-06 00:32 AM EDT (US)   
Ever wonder what the point of build pads are?
Ever wonder why artillery are so powerfull on land?
Ever wonder how to easily take Coruscant as Rebels?
Ever wonder why I ask you questions?

Some of these questions will be answered below.

TRENCH WARFARE:

1. Assemble your force

Take at least two units of MPTL's if you can build them. Also have at least 80-240 credits. Bring some infantry, and a land hero like Obi-Wan or Han if Rebels. Use SPAM-T's and Boba or Vader.

2. Fortifying the Beach Head

If your initial Force dosen't include units that can take build pads, land some. I will now drop into an example of how I have taken a heavily defended Coruscant, Emperor and all, simply by Defending.

First, after landing Han and Chewie, 2 MPTL's, and a unit of Assault Speeders to support Obi-Wan, I had the two diffrent landed MPTL groups go to each side of the ramp leading upto my deployment area, and deplo themselves. I also build an Anti-Infantry turrets on each of the two build pads guarding the ramp. I use the remaining two build pads to build a Bacta Healing Station and a Repair Station.

I then laugh as the hordes of Imperials get slaughtered by my Defences. Civilians, Stormies, Tie Maulers, AT-ST's, Imperial Royal Guards, AT-AT's, its all destroyed. To ensure victory, I hunt down and kill Palpatine with my Assault Speeders.

In Closing:

Remember, a fortified position is much easier to defend than a patch of dirt. Fortifying yourself will let you see the enemie's blood bleed dry on the ground. You can repeat the Tactic the Germans used at Verdun, and bleed your enemies to death. And when they are weak and dead, commence your attack, and watch victory fall into your hands.

Discuss.

Screenies coming soon.

Normality is a myth, made up by people who are afraid of who they really are.~~~kypjargon
Winner of the Moff Award for Insight That Will Likely Get the Wearer Shot One Day
Dedicated RPer
Replies:
posted 06-05-06 06:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Very interesting observations there. We must play a game sometime
posted 06-05-06 08:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
I concur, I think it would be cool if they actually had trenches you could put guys in! I would love that.

HEAD OF DEFENSE
FURRYRODIAN
: State of Scarlet : Projects : Movie-Battles :
" Intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."
- War of the Worlds

posted 06-05-06 09:31 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
One time i accidently sent 1 platoon of stormies and a biker scout to an enemy base on Ryloth. The enemy had 2 mines(when destroyed create a platoon of troops), troop center, and a mech factory. Plus i had to fight the Twi'leks and rancor, not to mention the dust storm.

It took about an hour but i finaly won. Basically i just tryed captureing all the turret posts (luckily i had alot of money) but i made sure that before they got destroyed i would quickly sell them and build another so that i wouldnt loose the pad. My men were resistant to the dust stom so i used that along with the rancor to my advantage. I used half my men to lure the enemy into the sand storm killing them, then i used one of my bikers to lure the rancor to the enemies base then let the rancor kill him.

The rancor proved as a distraction to keep the units that spawned busy. Then build turrets near there buildings to take them out. The turrets were only by 1 mine and the mech factory. I then used my platoon and made hit and runs on the other mine and troop center until the enemy sent troops to attack, then i would send me men to the area with a anti-infantry and bacta pad so i could heal my guys and waste the enemy troops.

In the end i lost 1 biker scout. I destroyed all the Twi'Lek buildings and rebel. And killed 43 platoons and 20 tanks.

|M|o|d|e|l|i|n|g|

My anti-life

posted 06-05-06 09:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
Trenches...

Hm...

*hides in secret labratory in the town of Obvious*

Normality is a myth, made up by people who are afraid of who they really are.~~~kypjargon
Winner of the Moff Award for Insight That Will Likely Get the Wearer Shot One Day
Dedicated RPer
posted 06-08-06 03:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
We seriously mus play a game sometime Pacifica. Send me an E-mail
posted 06-08-06 09:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
I don't have the connection. It really sucks. While other fight actual human opponents, I am forced to amuse myself with the AI.

Though if somehow I can get the connection, and the time...

Dedicated RPer
posted 06-09-06 11:46 AM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
IF I had the connection, and IF my game was working I'd play both of you.

Anyway, I find turrets a lifesaver.

1 AT-ST and a platoon of stormies against 10-12 mixed Plex's and troopers. Anti-Infantry turrets ripping them apart one by one with TIE bombers wiping out their 5 barrack's.... Victory and Alderaan captured!

`````````_,o_
________/- --|'--,__________________________________
]:-----\_--- --- --- --- ----- ------- --- --'',--o--\___________',=====-----
````\:|0)>>____,---------------------------'

My SSD Darth Fish:Member of The Resistance Imperial Star Destroyer, the smart choice of ship.
posted 06-09-06 08:42 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
Yeah, although airstrike is, IMO a bit overpowered.
posted 06-09-06 09:27 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
If Artillery and bombing run did their damage to everyone, then they would be balanced.

Dedicated RPer
posted 06-10-06 03:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
I completely agree. Nothing is stupider then seeing both your armies engulfed in a tremendousa explosion and then have one totally untouched.
posted 06-10-06 07:17 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
Bombing run is also the only way to counter this. His artillery get slaughtered before they can delpy by your artillery. And everything else(except AT-AT's, which are so slow you cna plan a defence) just gets killed by the artillery or turrets.

Dedicated RPer
posted 06-11-06 00:18 AM EDT (US)     12 / 15  
You could try building AA turrets unstead of AI turrets. I mean, those turrets are more for spotting that doing damage anyway, since your artillery just EATS the infantry.

Of course, with my personal experience with enemy bombers, two AA won't do jack squat to them -- they'll take everything out before they go down. :-P Strange how one enemy AA turret seems to be able to take out a whole wing of my bombers sometimes.

Here's another possible counter: Use an equal amount of your own artillery. Get a scout in there, select your artillery, and tell them to attack the furthest enemy artillery unit. Then, simply make sure you have some friendly infantry and armor screening your own artillery as they go in. The screen will get detroyed, but your own artillery should nail the enemy artillery before they get the chance to hit back. If they didn't bring reinforcement artillery, you've broken them. If you manage to keep a few infantry in reserve, you might even be able to rush their insertion point.

=$= Big J Money =$=

[This message has been edited by BigJMoney (edited 06-11-2006 @ 00:23 AM).]

posted 06-11-06 01:09 AM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
Actually, screening artillery won't work, as both MPTL's and SPAM-T's do Area of Effect damage. And now that I think about it, Anti-Vehicle turrets would be more effective. I've seen a Rebel AV turret take down an AT-AT(that was a costly skirmish).

Dedicated RPer
posted 06-11-06 11:24 AM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
You know, there is a way to create trenches in this game...

And yeah, I feel the AA turrets are spotty defenders... sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't. But, like BigJMoney, they always seem to knock down my bombers.

OOOO -DarthJacob1153- OOOO
Jorrel Fraajic (My Wookieepedia Profile)
(ŻŻŻŻŻŻ{{============= Custom Saber Shop =============}}ŻŻŻŻŻŻ)
posted 06-19-06 03:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15  

Quote:

You know, there is a way to create trenches in this game...

There is? How?

Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven » Forums » Strategy » Trench Warfare, the Art of a Defensive Attack
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven | HeavenGames