Modifications & Maps
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Kongou Dess, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Tutorial: How to Change the Color of a Single Unit
posted 03-17-06 09:38 PM EDT (US)   
Hello and welcome

Here is a guide to all of you out there who want to make a specialized unit with an overall different paint job. This is way more complicated than the line:

<no_colorization_color> X, X, X, X </no_colorization_color>

This can still be used by changing the overall color, though.

How to Change the Color of a Single Unit

First here is a list of all that you need:

a photo editing program (Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, ect...}

.DDS format reading/writing capabilities (usually requires a plugin)
here is a link for how to install the plugin: Link
Note on link: go to the part, DDS Plugin Installation

.DDS Utilities

a Hex Editor (a good one is HexEdit)
Any hex editor will do, but one with a search button will help a lot.

a .MEG Extractor

Ok now that that you have all the programs required we will start with what you have to do.

STEP 1: .MEG extrator and gathering files

Ok if you've read any other tutorials on editing units, you already know that you have to extract the data from the .MEG files so that you can reach the .xml files that you can mod. This mod is no different

First you go to my documents and add three folders (2 if you don’t have the xml files yet)

Name the first one: Empire At War Extracted Data

And the second one: EaWEDm

And the third one : EaWEDt

The second step in this process is to open the .MEG extractor

Then open C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Data with the extractor

The first .MEG you have to extract is config.MEG
Extract it to: C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\My Documents\Empire at War Extracted Data

The second .MEG file is Models.MEG
Extract that to: C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\My Documents\EaWEDm

The last .MEG file you extract is Textures.MEG
Extract that to: C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\My Documents\EaWEDt

After that, copy the art folder inside EaWEDm and paste it in C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Data. Go inside the art folder inside EaWEDt and copy the textures folder and put it inside the art folder in C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Data. Lastly, copy the xml folder from inside Empire at War Extracted Data and paste it in C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Data.

Step 2: Modifying the .DDS file

The first part of this step is to know what files we need to access. To find that out you have to pick a unit that you will be editing the color on. I am going to use a custom star destroyer named the devastator.(very original name huh?)

Ok now that you know what unit you are going to edit now you need to find the .DDS file that goes with it. The .dds files are located in textures, which is in the art folder.

Notice that there are 2 files under the .DDS format for Star Destroyer:

The first one is: Ev_stardestroyer.DDS

The second one is: Ev_stardestroyer_bc.DDS

We only need one of them so to find out which one we need, we need to open them up in Paint Shop Pro (or Photoshop).

**NOTE** I used paint shop pro and I find it easier to edit the .dds file, but you can use either one if you have the plugins required.

Ok so let’s open up Ev_stardestroyer.DDS

When you select open, it will say something about MIP maps. Answer no to this question.

Once you get it open you notice that it looks like the outside of a star destroyer

Open up Ev_stardestroyer_bc.DDS

Notice how it is blue and doesn't look that much like the outside of a star destroyer

The first one is the one we need

After you exit out of EV_stardestroyer_bc.DDS you're left with the one that looks like the outside of a star destroyer.

We are going to change it black (using paint shop pro)

The first thing we have to do is change the colors to the ones we want. So click on the adjust column on the top and go down to color balance. In the color balance options, go to the last one, Red/Green/Blue...

A screen should come up

In this screen there are three values. Mess around with them until you get the color you need. For me I’m going for black.

NOTE** you can't have 100 percent black or else the skin won't show very well.

So since it can’t show black, I’ll use a dark grey.

Ok so my 3 values are, -75, -75, and -75. You can have them any way you want to have them.

The next thing to do is go under adjust again, but this time go to the brightness and contrast option. Click on the first option, brightness/contrast.

Again the exact values for this vary to what color your using. For the black use a brightness of -10 and a contrast of 10.

Now your .DDS should look dark grey (if you did it the way I did.)

Now it’s time to save in the .DDS format. Make sure you have the NIVIDA .DDS utilities installed.

Go to file, the go to save as. Go to save as type and change it to .dds. Make sure that there is only one layer, or esle you cant save. Save as the same name as the file, but save one letter off. For example, the star destroyer's .dds file is EV_Stardestroyer. Save it as something like EF_Stardestroyer.dds.

Now it should bring you to the NIVIDA screen. You should save it under DXT3 in the save format. The next thing you have to make sure of is the MIP maps settings. If you did as I said and said no to the MIP maps before, say generate MIP maps and make sure it says "all" right next to it. The last thing is to make sure on the bottom right is has 2D texture selected.

Now we have an edited texture, but no model that uses it.

**NOTE** Here is the trickiest part of the process. Hang in there its not as hard as it sounds.

STEP 3: Editing the Models with a Hex Editor

Here is the tricky part, using a hex editor to change the name of the texture used by the model file to the new file you just created.

OK now we need to find the name of the model the ship uses.
For my star destroyer it is:

<SpaceUnit Name="The_Devastator">
<Text_ID>TEXT_UNIT_DEVASTATOR</Text_ID>
<Encyclopedia_Good_Against> Corellian_Corvette Corellian_Gunboat Nebulon_B_Frigate </Encyclopedia_Good_Against>
<Encyclopedia_Vulnerable_To> Y-wing Calamari_Cruiser </Encyclopedia_Vulnerable_To>
<GUI_Row> 1 </GUI_Row>
<Space_Model_Name>EV_STARDESTROYER.ALO</Space_Model_Name>

Notice the part in bold? Well that where you can find the name of the model.

The models are located in the models folder, inside the art folder.

Ok before we open up the models we have to start the hex editor (im using hex edit)

Now with the hex editor, open up the model file. For me it would be EV_stardestroyer.ALO

Notice there is more than one file for the star destroyer (or whatever unit you’re using). If you want the color to affect the unit all the time, we have to do this for each file that it uses for the appearance of the unit.

After you open the file, you see a bunch of numbers on the left, and some words and a lot of periods on the right.

First we have to find the bit of information that has to do with the texture. It will be located on the right side, the side that has words.

With HexEdit, click the find tab (on row of buttons above the columns) select ANSI string from the pull out menu (you have to select this or else you cant even type the letters) and type .tga (the uncopressed .dds file. The game decompresses the files in-game so it changes to .tga. Same thing as using a .rar file or .zip file to hold other types of files). With some units, there are more than one entry for the .tga for the skin (such as obiwan). So make sure you change them all (only the ones that use the same .dds file you modified, some will have other .tga files, such as small lasers, and base textures.)

If you’re using the star destroyer, it should say Base Texture EV_stardestroyer.tga. change that to the renamed .dds file. For me it would change to EF_stardestroyer.tga.

Now its time to save. Go to save as. Now save it as EF_stardestroyer.alo (make sure to add the ending or else it will save as a file type called file, and the game doesn't use it that way).

Now you have to edit the other files for the unit the same way you edited the original model file. Make sure to change the names and add the proper ending while saving.

**NOTE** not all of the files that are associated with the unit in the model folder have the base texture line in there. Only the ones that have to do with the skin, such as hard points have it. You should still check every one to make sure.

**NOTE**Just save the files that you changed. I found a way to use another units animation instead, so you can use the original star destroyer's movement, which save a lot of time.

Step 4 Editing the Unit

The first thing to do is to open up the data folder where the folder XML is located. Once you have that go to the xml file that contains the unit that you are changing the color of.

Mine is under Spaceunitscapitial

Now to back to the place where you found your model

<Encyclopedia_Good_Against> Corellian_Corvette Corellian_Gunboat Nebulon_B_Frigate </Encyclopedia_Good_Against>
<Encyclopedia_Vulnerable_To> Y-wing Calamari_Cruiser </Encyclopedia_Vulnerable_To>
<GUI_Row> 1 </GUI_Row>
<Space_Model_Name>EV_STARDESTROYER.ALO</Space_Model_Name>

I changed EV_STARDESTROYER.ALO to EF_STARDESTROYER.ALO so it looks like this

<GUI_Row> 1 </GUI_Row>
<Space_Model_Name>EF_STARDESTROYER.ALO</Space_Model_Name>

Also in the unit file add the tags (best spot would be right after the model)
<Land_Model_Anim_Override_Name></Land_Model_Anim_Ov erride_Name>
for me it would become:
<Land_Model_Anim_Override_Name>EV_stardestroyer.ALO</Land_Model_Anim_Override_Name>
This makes the unit use the original star destroyer's animation (the .alo/.ala files that didn't contain .tga files) instead of you having to copy and paste the original star destroyer's animation files and renaming them to the new unit's name (that part was one of the longest parts in this process).

Now we have to modify the breakable hard points so that they are the same color.

While keeping the xml where your unit is located still up, open up the hard points xml.

Go find the hard points of your units.

The star destroyer's are the first one on the page.

Since you don’t want all the star destroyers in the game to have colored hard points, you have to copy and paste the hard points to another spot inside the unit’s hard point area.
For example,

<HardPoint Name="HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_FL">
<Type> HARD_POINT_WEAPON_LASER </Type>
<Is_Targetable>Yes</Is_Targetable>
<Is_Destroyable>Yes</Is_Destroyable>
<Tooltip_Text>TEXT_WEAPON_TURBOLASER</Tooltip_Text& gt;
<Health>325.0</Health> <!-- Was 250 -->

<Death_Explosion_Particles> Large_Explosion_Space_Empire </Death_Explosion_Particles>
<Death_Explosion_SFXEvent>Unit_Hardpoint_Turbo_Laser_D eath</Death_Explosion_SFXEvent>

<Damage_Type> Damage_Star_Destroyer </Damage_Type>
<Model_To_Attach>EV_StarDestroyer_HP00_L-F.alo</Model_To_Attach>
<Attachment_Bone>HP_F-L_BONE</Attachment_Bone>
<Collision_Mesh>HP_F-L_COLL</Collision_Mesh>
<Damage_Decal>HP_F-L_BLAST</Damage_Decal>
<Damage_Particles>HP_F-L_EMITDAMAGE</Damage_Particl es>

<Death_Breakoff_Prop> Hardpoint_Breakoff_Star_Dest_Weapon_FL </Death_Breakoff_Prop>

<Fire_Bone_A>FP_F-L_00</Fire_Bone_A>
<Fire_Bone_B>FP_F-L_01</Fire_Bone_B>
<Fire_Cone_Width>160</Fire_Cone_Width>
<Fire_Cone_Height>130.0</Fire_Cone_Height>
<Fire_Projectile_Type>Proj_Ship_Turbolaser_Green</F ire_Projectile_Type>
<Fire_Min_Recharge_Seconds>3.0</Fire_Min_Recharge_Seconds>
<Fire_Max_Recharge_Seconds>4.0</Fire_Max_Recharge_Seconds>
<Fire_Pulse_Count>7</Fire_Pulse_Count>
<Fire_Pulse_Delay_Seconds>0.2</Fire_Pulse_Delay_Seconds>
<Fire_Range_Distance>2000.0</Fire_Range_Distance>
<Fire_SFXEvent>Unit_Turbo_Fire</Fire_SFXEvent>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Fighter, 70.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Bomber, 70.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Transport, 70.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Corvette, 7.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Frigate, 1.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Capital, 10.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Super, 1.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
</HardPoint>

The bold parts are the ones you have to change. First change the name. I added a 2 to the end of the name. Now go back to your unit's xml file, and go to the hard points area. Change the name of the hard point you just edited in hard points to the name of the new hard point.

Like So:
<HardPoints>
HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_FL2, HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_FR, HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_BL, HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_BR,
HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_ML, HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_MR, HP_Star_Destroyer_Shield_Generator, HP_Star_Destroyer_Engines,
HP_Star_Destroyer_Tractor_Beam, HP_Star_Destroyer_Fighter_Bay
</HardPoints>

The second thing you have to do is edit the model the hard point uses. Check to see if you modified the texture to that model. If the model was textured then add in the renamed one. Mine would be changed to ED_stardestroyer_HP00_L-F.alo.
Here is what the hard point looks like when it’s done

<HardPoint Name="HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_FL2">
<Type> HARD_POINT_WEAPON_LASER </Type>
<Is_Targetable>Yes</Is_Targetable>
<Is_Destroyable>Yes</Is_Destroyable>
<Tooltip_Text>TEXT_WEAPON_TURBOLASER</Tooltip_Text& gt;
<Health>325.0</Health> <!-- Was 250 -->

<Death_Explosion_Particles> Large_Explosion_Space_Empire </Death_Explosion_Particles>
<Death_Explosion_SFXEvent>Unit_Hardpoint_Turbo_Laser_D eath</Death_Explosion_SFXEvent>

<Damage_Type> Damage_Star_Destroyer </Damage_Type>
<Model_To_Attach>ED_StarDestroyer_HP00_L-F.alo</Model_To_Attach>
<Attachment_Bone>HP_F-L_BONE</Attachment_Bone>
<Collision_Mesh>HP_F-L_COLL</Collision_Mesh>
<Damage_Decal>HP_F-L_BLAST</Damage_Decal>
<Damage_Particles>HP_F-L_EMITDAMAGE</Damage_Particl es>

<Death_Breakoff_Prop> Hardpoint_Breakoff_Star_Dest_Weapon_FL </Death_Breakoff_Prop>

<Fire_Bone_A>FP_F-L_00</Fire_Bone_A>
<Fire_Bone_B>FP_F-L_01</Fire_Bone_B>
<Fire_Cone_Width>160</Fire_Cone_Width>
<Fire_Cone_Height>130.0</Fire_Cone_Height>
<Fire_Projectile_Type>Proj_Ship_Turbolaser_Green</F ire_Projectile_Type>
<Fire_Min_Recharge_Seconds>3.0</Fire_Min_Recharge_Seconds>
<Fire_Max_Recharge_Seconds>4.0</Fire_Max_Recharge_Seconds>
<Fire_Pulse_Count>7</Fire_Pulse_Count>
<Fire_Pulse_Delay_Seconds>0.2</Fire_Pulse_Delay_Seconds>
<Fire_Range_Distance>2000.0</Fire_Range_Distance>
<Fire_SFXEvent>Unit_Turbo_Fire</Fire_SFXEvent>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Fighter, 70.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Bomber, 70.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Transport, 70.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Corvette, 7.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Frigate, 1.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Capital, 10.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Super, 1.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

</HardPoint>

Do this for the rest of the hard points. Make sure to change the names back in the unit’s xml or else it won't do anything. After doing all the hard points for the star destroyer, the unit’s hard points in the unit's xml should look like.

<HardPoints>
HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_FL2, HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_FR2, HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_BL2, HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_BR2,
HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_ML2, HP_Star_Destroyer_Weapon_MR2, HP_Star_Destroyer_Shield_Generator2,
HP_Star_Destroyer_Engines,
HP_Star_Destroyer_Tractor_Beam, HP_Star_Destroyer_Fighter_Bay
</HardPoints>

Congratulations!! You have made your unit have a unique color. The Devastor came out black, and with the <no_colorization_color> line I made it to red. It came out great.

Here is a picture next to a star destroyer

If you have any questions just ask me on this thread.

Update:
As of now i will be sharing some photos of specialty colored units next to regular ones
here is a venator and a custom one

The Home One, and a modified version, the Home Three

A captured AT-AT

[This message has been edited by atomic_slash (edited 04-19-2006 @ 02:26 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-18-06 01:54 AM EDT (US)     1 / 28  
Great Tutorial! I suggest sending it as a plain text to Crazed Ewok.

====:[ BODiN ]:====
====:[ Space Commander|Core Conquest ]:====
====:[ EAW DEMO Modding Guide for Newbies ]:====
posted 03-18-06 02:46 AM EDT (US)     2 / 28  
I would send it to him if i knew how
and thanks for the comment
posted 03-18-06 02:57 AM EDT (US)     3 / 28  

Quote:

http://I would send it to him if i knew how

Hit the edit button in the main post, select everything, copy/paste it into a Word Document, save and follow these Guidelines for sending.

P.S. You should work on your grammar too.

====:[ BODiN ]:====
====:[ Space Commander|Core Conquest ]:====
====:[ EAW DEMO Modding Guide for Newbies ]:====
posted 03-18-06 03:26 AM EDT (US)     4 / 28  
Yeah, i realized my grammar was wrong. Mainly from writing it at 1 in the morning while typing as fast as I can.
I spell check the whole thing now so there are no more mistakes. Thanks for the tip though.
posted 03-21-06 01:02 AM EDT (US)     5 / 28  
Wow, this is really cool. Will it work for the demo?

|M|o|d|e|l|i|n|g|

My anti-life

posted 03-21-06 04:41 PM EDT (US)     6 / 28  
Very nice tutorial indeed! I've added it to Mod Central .

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 03-21-06 07:00 PM EDT (US)     7 / 28  
<!-- QUOTE -->http://Wow,this is really cool. Will it work for the demo?<!-- /QUOTE -->
I'm pretty sure it would work for the demo, considering its just modifying the texture files and not the game itself

and Blood Pheonix Thank You

Right now I'm trying to see if you can add hardpoints using a hex editor. Its not going so well
but ive managed to unlock luke (on ground) he still has a few bugs, mainly, (his gun doesnt show up), and im in the process of putting a new skin over Obi Wan's model to make the padawan. Hopefully that works.

posted 03-21-06 07:11 PM EDT (US)     8 / 28  
This tutorial is really helpful! Thanks for finding this stuff out.

As for the ground Luke, I trust that after you work the bugs out you'll give us him in a mod, right? Or tell us how to do what you did with him? Please?

OOOO -DarthJacob1153- OOOO
Jorrel Fraajic (My Wookieepedia Profile)
(¯¯¯¯¯¯{{============= Custom Saber Shop =============}}¯¯¯¯¯¯)
posted 03-21-06 08:24 PM EDT (US)     9 / 28  
I've submitted a mod that adds the padawan to the game
All you have to do for luke is take another hero unit's xml data, and replace the info with luke's info.

Im going add luke's texture to obi wans model, to make luke a jedi
i will give an update on this by tomorrow.

posted 03-23-06 05:50 PM EDT (US)     10 / 28  
:S Why do you need to do all that stuff??

|M|o|d|e|l|i|n|g|

My anti-life

posted 03-23-06 06:26 PM EDT (US)     11 / 28  
Hey, just wanted to say, this is really cool. Those ships look great
posted 03-23-06 06:56 PM EDT (US)     12 / 28  
Okay thanks for the comment im also open to request so let me know what you want and ill probably make it.
posted 03-23-06 09:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 28  
Hmm, so theses build completely new units? Did you rename them also?

|M|o|d|e|l|i|n|g|

My anti-life

posted 03-23-06 10:52 PM EDT (US)     14 / 28  
Yes i renamed them.
The star destroyer is named the devastation

the venator is named the liberation

and the red one is based off the home one, its called the home 3

posted 03-29-06 01:52 AM EDT (US)     15 / 28  
Cool Good work.

|M|o|d|e|l|i|n|g|

My anti-life

posted 03-29-06 06:22 PM EDT (US)     16 / 28  
Okay i found a site in which it tells you how to add your own icon to EaW. I already added one to my padawan.

So here is the link:
icon

posted 04-11-06 08:50 PM EDT (US)     17 / 28  
Quick question, I've followed your directions. Modified the .tga, and hex edited the .alo. But I'm really not sure where to put these when they are edited. I've tried gamedata\data\art\Textures\....(models\), and gamedata\data\textures\....(\models\), but it doesn't seem to work. Where do I put these files? Thanks for the help!!

SI's Mod Patch Generator Civ*unit Guide How to add new graphics Exploring the civ header Units.txt guide How to add a new unit

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge!" Darth Maul.
"All to easy!" Darth Vader.
"Wipe them out, all of them!" Darth Sidious.

posted 04-12-06 06:06 PM EDT (US)     18 / 28  
Oh your missing a folder. You have to have the models and texture folders inside another folder called "art". If that doesnt work, then did you save them as .tga or .dds?

[This message has been edited by atomic_slash (edited 04-12-2006 @ 06:12 PM).]

posted 04-12-06 06:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 28  
Yeah, I saved them as .dds. I originally put them in gamedata\data\art\textures(This may be the problem, "textures", or "texture")

Offtopic, I found a program on the other website that will place my new texture, or model into the .meg file. It's called "Finalbig." So this may be a workaround for me.

SI's Mod Patch Generator Civ*unit Guide How to add new graphics Exploring the civ header Units.txt guide How to add a new unit

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge!" Darth Maul.

posted 04-13-06 02:54 AM EDT (US)     20 / 28  
Well if the program helps then use it
uhm its textures and models
yes it has an s
ok so if that still doesnt work then i dont really know how to help

[This message has been edited by atomic_slash (edited 04-13-2006 @ 11:00 PM).]

posted 04-13-06 10:16 PM EDT (US)     21 / 28  
Slash, Thanks for the help! I got it to work.

posted 04-13-06 10:21 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28  
Your welcome.
I'm glad i can help.

News** Im adding a new mod
it adds a dark jedi and a padowan, both based off obiwan's texture.
Its my best work yet.
Check them out when the're ready.

[This message has been edited by atomic_slash (edited 04-13-2006 @ 10:56 PM).]

posted 04-13-06 11:54 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28  
Slash, Just curious, I tried adding a hero unit that was a copy of Palpatine, but it did not show up in game. There is a line in Palpys text....

<Can_Be_Only_One>true</Can_Be_Only_One>

I didn't go any further, but thought that this line blocked the build of another unit with the same model. Is this just for the "hero unit"

posted 04-14-06 00:04 AM EDT (US)     24 / 28  
I really havent worked with palpatine, so im not sure,
but im pretty sure it has to do with the hero unit not the model.
Just replace true with false and see what happens.
posted 04-18-06 01:52 AM EDT (US)     25 / 28  
I really need help if i click on the stardestroyer file to open it it says this file cannot be supported as a file type i have paint pro shop 7.0
posted 04-19-06 01:49 AM EDT (US)     26 / 28  
You need the .dds plugin
its listed in the requirements section
there is also a link on how to install it there too
posted 04-20-06 10:48 PM EDT (US)     27 / 28  
Hey Slash, Just little more help here....I'm trying to create a new icon, but no success.

I added an image to the MT_commandbar.tga...
I noted the x,y coord.(upper-left of image)
I added an entry to the MT_commandbar.mtd(with MTDedit)...
I changed the icon name in the XML file....
Placed in data\art\textures...

I come up with a blank icon in game! I downloaded your Padawan mod, very good. I used your MT_commandbar in game, and your icons appear. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I'm using Paint shop pro 10.0, not familar with it at all, I have a feeling that when I add the image, I may be doing something wrong there?
Any Ideas?

EDIT: I was messing around with PSP, and I selected load alpha map, and it overwrote my added graphic. Image properties then said there were 3 layers, the original, the alpha, and my image. How can I add my image to the orginal layer? Could this be my problem?

[This message has been edited by Sidious Invader2 (edited 04-20-2006 @ 10:56 PM).]

posted 04-20-06 11:52 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28  
I found out how to edit alpha channels with paint shop pro
First step, open up MT_Commandbar.tga

Then go to Layers then to load/save mask
then click load alpha

this brings you to a screen
click load again

say yes to the next option

then go to the right of the screen, where it says layers.
Right click on the group layer and click the option unlayer

next, click on the rectangle tool (on the left of the screen)

make both colors white (pure white, or else it wont work) and make sure that the mask layer is selected

Make a box around the general location of where the icon you want to add is.
It should become visible.

Now to make it a better icon, make the first color black, the second one white (both pure black and pure white) and select the paintbrush tool

Make sure that the tool options are out (View, pallette, tool option)

Again make sure that the mask layer is selected
There is a box on the tool options toolbar to the right or presets
click the arrow, and select the +Square 5 (2nd row, second option)

Zoom in around your icon

color in all the areas that you dont want to see black, making them invisible. If you accidentally go over part of your icon, color the part white to make it visible again.

When your done getting the icon the way you want it to look, select the raster layer, but make sure the parts are still invisible

then go to layers. While in that menu, select new mask layer, then select from image. On the next screen, make sure you select source opacity. Then click ok.

Ungroup the layers again.
Select the top most mask.
Then go to layers, load/save mask, then go to save as alpha.
Choose a name and save.

The next step is to select image, and then go to delete alpha channel. click on the box, and delete the one to the left, the one that you didnt create. When your out of that screen, go to the layers area. First, delete the mask layer right above the layer called, raster. Select no with merge with the layer below it. Do the same with the other mask. Now your done. Save it as a .tga file, and you have your new alpha layer, with your icon on it. Now use the .MTD editor to add in the coordinates and your all set with the new icon.

[This message has been edited by atomic_slash (edited 04-21-2006 @ 00:42 AM).]

Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven » Forums » Modifications & Maps » Tutorial: How to Change the Color of a Single Unit
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven | HeavenGames