You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Kongou Dess, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Using asteroids and nebulae...?
posted 05-25-06 08:09 PM EDT (US)   
Can someone clue me in to possible tactics using this space terrain effectively? The game makes it appear as it it is possible to do so, but I can't seem to figure it out. For one thing, I can tell that it's possible to disappear inside a nebula, but I can't tell how. It seems dodgy at best, like sometimes it will work, and sometimes not. Also, the only think asteroids seem good for is using them as a screen to get your fighters to safety, but I can't even count the number of times I needed my fighters to do this, because that number is zero. Are there other ships that can safely traverse asteroids? I think I remember than Han can. Thanks for any tips.

=$= Big J Money =$=

Replies:
posted 05-25-06 08:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
I've noticed that too. I'm pretty sure it's somewhat spotty. Likely a bug. Perhaps it will be fixed in the new patch.
posted 05-25-06 09:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
If its a hero (smaller than a blockaderunner) such as Han or Boba you can, if its a fighter you can, I think that if you manually guide your corvettes through them they can make it uneffected.

HEAD OF DEFENSE
FURRYRODIAN
: State of Scarlet : Projects : Movie-Battles :
" Intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."
- War of the Worlds

posted 05-25-06 11:33 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
Corvettes can get through unnaffected, manual guidance or not. If the ship has hard points, then its screwed.

Normality is a myth, made up by people who are afraid of who they really are.~~~kypjargon
Winner of the Moff Award for Insight That Will Likely Get the Wearer Shot One Day
Dedicated RPer
posted 05-26-06 09:25 AM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
ya, the nebulae interfears with sensors. It is an intermitten thing. think of Khan and the nebulae and the Enterpise getting sensors readings sometimes. The nebulae takes downs shields also. So in maps like yavin 4 lost, you can try to sneak thue the short cut but have to make sure the enemy is not going to target your shieldless ships while they passthrue.
I almost lost a frigit in an asteroid field. It actully drifted into it. When I heard the warning of it losing internal componits, the asteroids where waxing it, and fast. Thing of these locations as places on the map that you can defend with small ships or hide in from large ships.
It is all about the tarran and how to make it work for you.

a.g. putting missile boats behind the asteroid or nebulae fields make the enemy go the long way around to kill your missil ship is one example.

posted 05-26-06 11:32 AM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
Yeah, it seems to only effect ships with hardpoints. I've lost battles because I forgot to manuver my Frigates or Accalmators around the asteorids.
posted 05-26-06 03:32 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
The only tactical advantage I've found so far, is

a) If you have Mining Facs inside the Asteroid Field, you can defend them with Corvettes and Bombard Ships, and hit their ships long range, whereas they're forced to send equal sized ships after you or else take the lengthy process of manouvering close to the field.

Or

b) If the enemy isn't watching, you can lure his Accas/Frigs into a field with your Corvettes. Sometimes I strike Accs with Gunships and Corvettes, stand my ground, wait for the enemy to target them, and then get the player's attention elsewhere. If you're close enough to an Asteroid field, you can lure his cruiser in. Of course, he'll get the warning, but hey, it's a little bit of damage that might make a difference in a close fight.

"we have an agenda, a character assassination agenda, assassinating characters is what we do for a living" - Sukkit
posted 05-26-06 09:37 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
Those are very good strats Stormraider I'm going to add this to strategy central.
posted 05-29-06 08:02 AM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
when your stuck facing enimies with the boost weapon power and your fleet is almost dead you can make the enimies follow you into the nebula so they cant use thier abilities.

EX: i destroyed 11 tartan patrol cruiser with one nebulon b frigate in the nebulon.

posted 06-11-06 00:57 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
I guess I could try using nebula as escape routes for fighters, since Tartans would have to go into them, risking their shields and losing their focused fire ability. I hope a few squads of X-Wings can take down a shieldless Tartan.

The asteroids sound much harder to take advantage of. I guess they're more useful as a passive barrier for the defender, creating good bottlenecks to target Boron Missiles.

Just to double check, I'll watch my X-Wings and Y-Wings in nebula. Technically they're supposed to have shields, but it looks like the game doesn't take that into account.

=$=

Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven » Forums » Game Discussion » Using asteroids and nebulae...?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven | HeavenGames