Download File Post Review Post Comment

A Place Called Waterloo

Author File Description
A Banned User
File Details
Style: Fixed Force
Number of scenarios: 1
Needs AoC?: No
A Campaign by A Banned User, member of Empire Creations.

Upon Napoleons escape from his exile in Elba, he quietly returned to France and rallied a dangerous army from his old loyal French supporters. Making a surprise attack against the British at Quatre Bras and the Prussians at Ligny he forced the two armies to both make tactical retreats. Splitting the allies in two and separating them from each other. The British, running out of time and options, made a stand on a sprawling scenic hill against the French, praying their Prussian allies would arrive in time to help them.

Now you can relive the battle as the British as you must hold of against repeated French attacks, while looking on Eastwards for your allies, and once more try to win not just the battle, but also the whole war for the allies, and try to win Europe freedom... At A Place Called Waterloo

Features -
Fight and relive one of the bloodiest and influential battles in history.
A beautifully crafted and historically accurate map.
True to the battle order of attacks. From Napoleons cavalry charge, to the last attack of the Imperial Grenadiers.
Battlefield reports
Unit morale (Battalions will retreat, Wellington inspires confidence in nearby men, A morale system represented by stone, where the higher your men’s morale the higher their attack.)
Resources inform you of different things e.g. amount of French and British battalions left on map, your units morale e.c.t.
Selecting different unit classes tells you information about that unit, how best to use it and strengths/weaknesses.
Opening cinematic, with my most script cameras yet!
For more realism speed lowered and reload times increased.
Over 200 Triggers!

Thanks to all the playtesters who have been deservedly thanked in the cinematic, everybody at Empire Creations and everyone in the EE community!

Enjoy!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
iBlack
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.7
Balance4.5
Creativity4.6
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4.7
Extremely fun scenario, very open ended and challenges the player in a number of small and big tactical battles.

Balance: 4.5
Very nicely balanced, the battle could go either way if played properly, although it can be pretty easy to win, you can be defeated very easily so being aware of the entire battle is a must. Also being able to balance the game whilst adding the realistic effect like longer reloading, and morale, is another great thing.

Creativity: 4.6
Although this is a somewhat common scenario to make, and even though it is a campaign scenario, the number of additions and basically how the whole map was made got this scenario high, counters along the bottom (morale, batallions, number of men etc.) was very interesting.

Map Design: 4
Not too much you could do with a battlefield-related map, but it was as detailed as you could get it without overdoing. Again another great job

Story/Instructions: 5
Very detailed story/history and simple but detailed instructions, very easy to understand the rules of the game, in fact just about the whole game is in accordance with what took place in history (even the accurate time of attacks).

Additional Comments:
Fantastic scenario mate, this is an extremely fun scen. The scen challenges the players tactical ability, and i would recommend this to anybody that likes the good old strategy battles. well done!
saxguy great its here! downloading :)
abiasforwar
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.9
Balance4.7
Creativity4.8
Map Design4.9
Story/Instructions4.8
Playability: 4.9
The playability for this scenario was supurb. There were no crashes, there was no lag, all the triggers seemed to work perfectly, the different stages in the scenario (infantry attack, cavalry charge, prussian reinforcements, etc...) were all nicely put together, and required different strategies to cope with.

There were lots of small details in the gameplay as well that made this highly playable, such as corpses remaining on the ground, subtle differences between french and british units, a morale system and having a general who can inspire morale amongst nearby troops.

The only slight fault with this scenario is that the replayability will be somewhat limited, because you play as only one side, and the majority of the French attacks are scripted. Changing the difficulty however, still offers enough replayability.

Balance: 4.7
Overall the balance in this scenario was great, with the greatest "weakness" being the scripted nature of the French AI. It was for example possible to send a force of redcoats and rifleman to slowly eat away at the left flank of the French force, without the French reacting strategically.

Barring the above however, the balance was fine. Different units required different coping strategies. For example the british skirmishers are useless against French cavalry, and the best way to deal with the Imperial Guard was to outnumber them, since they're morale is unbreakable.

Lastly the way cannons were implemented was nicely done; French artillery was obviously superior to that of the British, but was not powerfull enough to wipe out entire lines of infantry.

Creativity: 4.8
In the aspect of creativity, I think this scenario has a lot of extra detail which is really beneficial to the overall enjoyment of the battle.

Basic realism, such as slow moving and slow firing infantry, as well as cannons that could fire across the entire map, but would eventually run out of ammo, is one of the main strong points in creativity.

But there were also manny subtle details as well, such as the naming of the units (Redcoats, Voltigeurs, Round Shot, etc...), the diverse sequences of attack, and the strategic use of generals that showed knowledge of the actual historical battle and the way things were fought back then.

Map Design: 4.9
The map was both beautiful and functional, with a basic combination of towns, plains and hills, along with lots of eye-candy. Strategically, the large amount of plains made epic and scenic battles between grenadiers and redcoats possible, but also allowed for cavalry to easily and swiftly arrive on the battlefield. The hills, I found, were the best place to situate your skirmisher and artillery, while placing your redcoats on the foot of the hill. This proved to be a useful strategy when attacked by the French Cavalry.

Story/Instructions: 4.8
A lot of extra work was obviously put in the instructions with extra features that I found to be great additions. The scenario began with a sublime video overview of the battlefield, after which instructions were given. Then, you had the ability to obtain extra information of every different unit used in the scenario, on both sides. This is the kind of extra feauture that was not neccessarily needed, but which just gave this scenario an extra air of professionalism.

Additional Comments:
So overall this was a great scenario, fun to play, it had epic battles, lots of realism, great detail and a challenging experience.

It took me about an hour I think to win on medium difficulty, and I thoroughly enjoyed the entirety of it.

In conclusion, this is probably one of the best Napoleonic scenarios I've played, as well as one of the best fixed force/battlefield scenarios out there.
Ashrzr
(id: normandy887)
Staff
I wish I could play it. :(
shieldwolf23 And do you think I should still officially review this, banned? you already got a very high score! Hahaha

and why can't you play it normandy?

[Edited on 04/23/09 @ 09:30 PM]

A Banned User
File Author
Yay reviews :D

Thanks to both of you, especially abias for such a long detailed review, sorry I never got round to making it playable as the French, I just got an awesome idea for another scenario and really wanted to start it!

Black couple of queries. You've removed 0.4 from playabilty, and a whole 1.0 from map design, without actually stating why you've done this. So could you please just clarify these points, unless they were a mistake in scoring you made?

And Shield, if you really want to review i'll let you!
Ashrzr
(id: normandy887)
Staff
Don't have the CD for EE anymore, and my harddrive crashed so I can't even use a crack. :'(
Lucifer Normandy, maybe you can try to find a solution at Warez-bb.org its a forum that includes games and help with harddrives. You need to register though.. I'm downloading the campaign now and gonna play in a sec ;) Guess it to be great, but I know its from A_Banned_User musst be awesome
Bull3pr00f woohoo, DLing now
Bull3pr00f alright, I'm not going ot give a review of this. why? because i wouldn't have any comments on something which is a plain 5 (!) IMO. (the other 2 scens which score so high in my opinion are Manifest Destiny and Venice)

I'm curious though, after seeing it 3 times....how the heck do you create that morale system???
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.7
Balance4.4