Long Live the Second Republic

Author File Description
SSSI_Tesseract
(id: Tesseract)
File Details
Style: Mix
Now available (finally!) to the public. Below is
the original submission text. In actuality, there
are three pathways through the game, and not two...
but you won't get the third!

At any rate, enjoy!
Tesseract
(Ben Schneider)

-----

Here is my submission for the Return to Destiny
design contest. The scenario is an alternate
history for the Spanish Civil War, where the
player takes the Spanish Republic to victory.

The game-play begins at the outbreak of
the war in 1936 and concludes when any threat to
the safety of the Spanish state has been removed.
Unique features include:
- Two possible endings
- Multiple political paths to victory
- Cities that can be occupied by either side,
so that gameplay reflects the progress of the
war
- "Press clippings" in the history section,
reporting on history as you play it.
- Consequences for political/military decisions

The scenario has intentionally been designed in
a simple style, without cinematics or audio. I
hope that the story and game itself will be
plenty entertaining.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
maximus_l
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
I was one of the lucky people who got many of the contest entries several months ago when they were inadvertently posted in here. Of all the ones i played, this scenario was by far the best. The contest winner Barbary coast was one i didnt get, but its hard to belived it could be better then this one

Playability- perfect, flawless,cities changing sides depending on who occupies them, challen ging a.i that actually pushes you a bit,

Creativity- outstanding in every aspect, the press clippings are unique changing diplomacy, etc

Map design - couldnt have been better, a real feel u were in spain with several little cities scattered about, A++

Story - one of the best aspects, very well developed, great instructions, riviting game play, multiple options and affects can make playing this scenario over several times a different experience each time

hands down, the best entry of any kind to the EE heaven download section
MOB_Freako
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability- perfect, flawless,cities changing sides depending on who occupies them, challen ging a.i that actually pushes you a bit,

Creativity- outstanding in every aspect, the press clippings are unique changing diplomacy, etc

Map design - couldnt have been better, a real feel u were in spain with several little cities scattered about, A++

Story - one of the best aspects, very well developed, great instructions, riviting game play, multiple options and affects can make playing this scenario over several times a different experience each time

exact thign from the person who poted before me......but i agreeed with everythign he said about this scenerio......I think the best part was when U could get the Russian Armyy to Coem and Help U.....It was Great.
dark_mace
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
It's brilliant technically wise, thus the reason for full marks from me, but what’s lacking isn’t covered in the rating criteria.

The scenario is great, don’t get me wrong, everything works as it should, the flow is very solid, the triggers are awesome, the design is outstanding.

however, i personally thought (and feel free to criticize me, but remember, this is my personal opinion, and not a persuasive attempt at putting down this brilliant scenario.) the scenario was lacking a ....feel.....
it's hard to describe.

Basically (and i know this sounds lame) aesthetically, this scenario is unattractive. It's just missing that something, that makes or breaks a scenario, regardless of things like map design, story etc.
Perhaps its your decision to not add movies, or sound, or perhaps its just the way the scn moves on...... not pointlessly.......but.....mechanically.

This may sound utterly retarded, but I’ve come to see that this is an area that even the best scenarios lack. It's very difficult to achieve, and very difficult to advise upon, but its just something that is born when a designer begins his creation. It can be best described as a character, a soul, something unique, something that gives life to the scenario, a heart if you will.

I know this sounds oh so ridiculous, but it's just that i do not feel like I’m playing a scenario, i feel like I’m senselessly moving my units, around the map, following directions, not really knowing, or dare I say it....caring, about the consequences.

Now that i have finished with my outburst of emotion, I would like to finish up by saying that the scenario is professional technically, and deserves its ratings.

I strongly recommend downloading it, and spending time exploring and playing around.

I would like to finish up by saying, if what I am saying makes absolutely no sense, then feel free to blame the whisky i drank not too long ago.

But know this: alcohol tends to bring out the reality.

ALDP
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: No flaw whatsoever. This camapaign is at a perfect difficulty level. Replay value: Astrnomical, multiple endings and unpredicable AI make this map something you could play for months on end.

Creativity: Perfect use of triggers. Great concept and execution. The ability to capture towns is great.

Map design: Looks like somthing someone in Sierra did for the 4 premade campaigns.

Story: Detailed and robust. multiple endings are the perfect addition.

Instructions: Perfect

In my opinion you must download this campaign, you must do it. I really look forward to the creator's next campaign.
SuperHarry11
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
What can I say about this wonderful scenario? One of the best I've played that's for sure, fix problems that I mention if you want and it's fives from me.

Just a note to author- bug I found:
I must have pissed the Soviets off because they declared war on me, fine and good - but then when I defeated their army the scenario ended abruptly, and there were still fascist troops in Spain :S

Playability-
Really fun to play, not many errors I could find at all, I'll list a couple so the author can fix them if they want: Killing the generals, Franco came up and beat on the walls of Madrid which was a bit weird, killed him with one unit. Soviet Army- they decided to attack one tower and bunch together, all I had were two artilleries and it defeated their entire forces, anyway: Very nice.

Creativity-
Through the roof, loved the newpaper type headlines that keep popping up. The way of holding cities by garrisoning them was great - although sometimes it seemed there was a bug, I had no units there but still held city. Multiple endings where really cool.

Map Design-
Loved it, great mountains etc, felt like Spain and the cities were really nice too.

Story/Instructions-
One of the best features, good storylines all the way through, always knew what I was doing and like I said earlier the Newpaper headlines thing was a real addition to the story.

Great :-)
SUD_Commander
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Awesome, fantastic! As a Spanish I am and a democrat pro-rebublican antifascist citizen I enjoyed this scenario to the limit.
The scenario rocked on every aspect, despite the very tough beginning (at least for my low level gaming skills) the game went over very handy with those lovable newspaper headlines and of course the might of my army ;)

The historical aspect is very well done, the units are coherent: I-15 Chato and I-16 Mosca aircraft for the Republicans, the tanks, etc. Although some historical facts arent very correct or missing: you should have used German Me109 fighters and Me110 bombers for the Condor Legion in Nationalist army, the only ones I saw were some WWI biplanes and a couple Gotha bombers. Another thing were the militia men; you made them available once you get the soviets to help, which would mean late war; in real war, the militiamen (mostly anarchists and other sindicalists) were deployed very early in the war and were almost the only Republican fighting force for some time until they were disbanded or integrated into the Republican Popular army in 1937, so I think you should have made them available only in the first half of the game as the only infantry in Republican side, and after some time allow the player to make only doughboys and Russian infantry.

I also found that aspect of "something is missing" that some people stated; I think it needs some epic, more dramatism and sad stories; maybe you could have done it by adding some of these things:
-A short movie with German planes bombing Gernika or Barcelona, with citizens suffering from the nationalist cruelty.
-Some of the republican repression on church pro-fascist people, like anarchists executing priests, etc
-The militiamen marching in columns to the frontlines, singing antifascist songs, and eventually getting killed soon after they reach battle. Hope/Heroism falls for desperation and no hope
-Nationalist army making bloodshed on conquered lands, killing anyone with the smallest democratic thoughts.
-People's massive enjoyment in cities after the Republican democratic government wins the war.
-Other countries congratulate Spanish government after defeating the nationalist rebels, and soon after they go on to make war on Germany and Italy as an united coalition.
-Get Franco alive, trial him with military court and punish him by death penalty for sedition and war crimes! Ahhh, utopia..

---------------------

Playability-
I enjoyed the gameplay, it was very fun. The only flaws I found were the already mentioned of killing nationalist generals, and the one of kicking the soviet army and winning the scenario without defeating the nationalists entirely.

Creativity-
Loved the newpaper headlines, and of course, the chance to change history and KILL general Franco before he tyranices Spain for 40 long and sad years.

Map Design-
Spain is recreated very well, plenty of mountains, plains, etc, very good!

Story/Instructions-
As everyone said, one of the best features.

Final thoughts: Dont waste your time and download this thing ASAP!
JordanJJR
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
It was by far the best empire earth campaign I have played. There was no lag, no bad AI, etc... The one funny thing was franco and friends banging on Madrids towers while artillery pounded his head.

Balance: 5
It as completely balanced although it was a little bit too easy. No big critisicism. This was the closest I came to a 4.9

Creativity: 5
It was enginieus. I never would have thought of all of the ideas and wow time consuming I bet.

Map Design: 5
Spain was brilliantly laid out and well the map design was superb.

Story/Instructions: 5
I absolutely loved the newspaper clippings/media and the story was clear. I didnt know how to get helping forces but I won anyway.

Additional Comments: Superb game, Download or when you die and see what you missed. You will die all over again.
Damn_Scippi Is russia the only 1 that can aid u? ive played the campaign several times but cant get any1 like britian or U.S
rwilde
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5

The campaign was a treat to play with it’s own unique style of gameplay. Basically you have to spend most of the time managing the map by controlling cities. This simulates a civil war well, since you have control of a town while you are in it, but you lose it easily too. Sometimes I lost a tank in a city and I would have to shell it with cannon to get rid of the tower, just to claim it as my own again. The cities are really not something you focus on destroying, but some of them were a pile of ruins in the end, I think one was even completely destroyed.

I found the unique style hard going at first, but it picked up once I got the hang of it. At first I had no answer as the mini map turned blue, with only the capital of Madrid still in tact, but I grouped my forces and attacked the invaders as they approached. Afterwards I was able to start claiming back cities myself, but then as my budget ran low I found myself forced to go to Russia for aid, who sent a diplomat to my capital (who was a little hard to spot at first). After intercepting communications from Italy and Germany which precipitated WWII, France began to send me supplies again, and I was able to take back the map.

As I finally got my head around the scenario and managed to manage ownership of my cities batter I was able to build up a strong army and air force and take back Spain. It was hard at first, but as a fairly new player I found it well balanced on moderate, and is probably a much bigger challenge on hardest. It took me almost 3 hours in all.

Creativity: 5

The best campaigns around are simple and subtle, while being very creative for just that reason. When making a historical scenario you usually need to create an X factor in gameplay, and in this case it was a combination of dynamic politics represented though the history and objectives sections’ changes, and the ownership triggers.

Map Design: 5

Well laid out, and nice terrain use. Good spread of trees, and presumably made with the use of elevation files, as the mountains were very good. Some areas had poor path finding, but that’s difficult to pinpoint and fix.

Story: 5

Very unique and intelligent use of the ability to update objectives, including history, which I haven’t seen before. Good use of the press as an added factor, and great historical story telling, and understanding of the complicated political environment. Nice little updates without long cinematic scenes, and story and history sections were brief too, allowing them to develop during the game. The various endings and approaches give the campaign much replay value.

Overall: 5

I can see why this is such a popular campaign. I can’t see any reason not to award it a five star.
Sigsiggerson This is a strange scenario (good way). Like Dark_Mace said, it's brilliant technically. I agree when he said it was missing something. It just feels...not boring, but just...I don't know.
However, I love the press clips, aid from Russians was really cool. I never got aid from US or England, though. I waited and waited, I even built transports and sent them to Portugal to make something happen. Whatever.
I love this campaign, everyone download it, there ya go.

-----
Although not as bad as some, this review really needs to expand in terms of content. You need to read the reviewing guidelines. - Kor

[Edited on 08/11/05 @ 04:01 PM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.9