Author File Description
Gweilo2
File Details
# of Episodes: 5
# of Cities: 2
Difficulty: Hard
Custom Maps: Yes
Minimap:
By the close of the 2nd century CE, the Middle Kingdom was in turmoil. The long decline of the Han dynasty had reached the point where it ruled in name only. The real power was in the hands of warlord generals, who commanded large personal armies. Their struggles over the next century were forever immortalized in Luo Guanzhong's magnificent historical novel 'San Guo Yan Yi', which we know in the west as 'The Romance of the Three Kingdoms'. Some of the characters and events in this book form the backdrop storyline in this campaign. To maintain chronological continuity it is recommended that this campaign be
played just after concluding the Han Dynasty campaign 'The Silk Road', which comes included in the Emperor game.

As the Middle Kingdom slid towards civil war, the administration of its border territories quickly fell into chaos. Such was the situation in Koguryo. The Korean and Xiongnu warlords, who had enjoyed raiding the Chinese holdings with impunity for years already, began making even stronger attacks. The Chinese situation there became dire. Then, Fate sent the Gongsun clan to Koguryo. From this clan emerged strong leaders who regained control of the region.

In this campaign, you will experience the events and challenges faced by the first two generations of the Gongsun clan in Koguryo. This was a period of constant warfare and diplomacy. Are you up to it?

A player will interact with 14 historically-accurate cities. Resources, commodities, and available structures follow the Emperor model for the (early) Steel Age. Sabotage by spies is prohibited in this campaign, although spies can still be used for information gathering. This campaign features two new maps of original design, and 'enormous' size.

Four extra files are included in the download package. The first is a text file 'TWOK_Readme.txt', which contains installation instructions, background information, campaign design notes, and mission hints (warning: contains spoilers). The other three files are images called 'Koguryo_map1.gif', 'Koguryo_map2.jpg', and 'R3K_Cities.gif' . They are maps of ancient Koguryo and the Middle Kingdom, and are included solely for historical reference.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This campaign contains missions involving speed, empire map diplomacy, and heavy military action. It is designed for experienced players with more than a casual knowledge of the game. Generally speaking, if you enjoyed 'The Destiny of Cao V2' campaign, you should like this one.

Missions Teasers: (Note - the first four missions use a 'time limit' goal)

Mission 1 - 'The Last Refuge' - 4 years, from 190 CE to the end of 193 CE.

Mission 2 - 'The Fortress of Liaoyang' - 4 years, from 194 CE to the end of 197 CE.

Mission 3 - 'A Warlord Arises' - 6 years, from 198 CE to the end of 203 CE.

Mission 4 - 'A Dangerous Resettlement' - 4 years, from 204 CE to the end of 207 CE.

Mission 5 - 'The Warlords of Koguryo' - no time limit, starts in 208 CE.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Um Lei Tung
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
The only reaason why I didn't give full marks was due to the possibility of 'road to china blocked'. This is a known bug (nothing was done about it in the new patch) and can be avoided by moving the cliffs. I guess this might mess up the game play if they are moved.
Balance: 5
I played it a couple of times and got hammered from all sides, but it was still possible to succeed. Fast immigration is the need of the day.
Creativity: 5
How much more can you put in a campaign?
Map Design: 5
Haven't seen maps like this even from the developers. Took a while to chart all the the little accesses.
Story/Instructions: 5
The story line is like history lessons and the instructions are pretty clear.
Additional Comments:
Looking forward to more campaigns, keep it up and bring it on!
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Thank you for the feedback and ratings. Your participation in this project was greatly appreciated by me!
Xiang Yu
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
I had great fun playing this campaign and its the best custom one i have played in along time. Good job.

Generaly everything was good. no problems.

Creativity: 5
Definatly put alot of effort in. It shows. Very interesting to play.

Map Design: 4
Good maps but could be improved in certain areas. small things really. Still good.

Story was great. The plot fitted toghether well and was an intersting campaign.

Additional Comments: Great campaign.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Xiang Yu, I appreciate your ratings and comments. Most of all, I'm glad you had a good time playing this one!

I see you design open play maps. Would you care to try designing a campaign? We really need more campaign designers!

[Edited on 02/20/04 @ 10:00 PM]

Xiang Yu well i have problems setting up events in campaigns :( You see i just get things a bit wrong in one area and the whole thing loses plot. Also when reading the manual like 50 times just to make sure i am doing events right it does not tell you stuff like you can a rival city to conquer your ally city so your ally will cease conections with you. Thats what you did in your campaign and it was good.
I am designing a couple at the moment but i always go wrong on events.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Xiang Yu, scripting events is tricky, I agree. There are alot of undocumented bugs in them (example: recurring events don't work as stated in the manual). However, you don't have to give up. You can post any question you have in the Emperor Scenario Design Palace forum, at this website.
Other designers, including me, will do our best to help you there.

[Edited on 04/02/04 @ 08:21 AM]

Xiang Yu Thanks, however do they have to follow historical events? Or an we just make it up but keep it realistic and interesting?
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Custom campaigns do NOT have to be historical. Fictional plots are fine. The main thing is to build a quality campaign.
allain
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4

Creativity: 4

Map Design: 5

Additional Comments:

Congratulations, Gweilo. This was again a big fun playing this campaign.
There was an excellent mix of everything Emperor has to offer. I really hope you'll make more as this.
Thx.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hi Allain, thanks once again for taking the time to make a formal review of one of my campaigns. I'm glad you are still enjoying them.

Actually, I do have another custom campaign that is on schedule to be released in the August/September (2004) time frame. It is my biggest one yet, and I hope you find it worth the wait.

In the meantime, I encourage you to play the seven campaigns we have released in the 'Emperor: Bureaucratic Examination' contest. I think you will like them. :)

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.8