Author File Description
Gweilo2
File Details
# of Episodes: 3
# of Cities: 1
Difficulty: Very Hard
Custom Maps: Yes
Minimap:
"A man with outward courage dares to die; a man with inner courage dares to live." ~Lao Tzu, the founder of Daoism.

The meaning of those words from Lao Tzu will become clear in this campaign set during the final years of the Southern Song dynasty. As the leader of a Daoist monastery caught in the jaws of war, you will require both kinds of courage to discover your destiny on Wudang Mountain.

A player will interact with 8 historically-accurate cities. Resources, commodities, and available structures follow the Emperor model for the Steel Age. This campaign features a new custom map of 'enormous' size. It is a representation of Wudang mountain inspired by its actual topography.

Sabotage by spies has been disallowed for this campaign, although spies can still be used for information gathering.

The download zip file contains an extra file named 'HOWM_Readme.txt'. This text file contains installation instructions, historical background information, campaign design notes, general play tips, and mission hints (warning: contains spoilers). Additionally, other hints are available by viewing the album of playtest screenshots in the Emperor Heaven gallery.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This campaign is rated 'Very Hard', and is designed to provide a solid challenge for advanced players. For the best play experience, a player should possess an advanced understanding of time-constrained missions, money management, combat and military operations, trading, labor allocation, monument construction, summoning and using the Heroes, and empire-map diplomacy.

Missions Teasers (note: the first two missions have a time-limit)

Mission 1 - The Rebirth of Wudangshan - 9 years, from 1259 CE to 1268 CE.

Mission 2 - The Siege of Xiangyang - 8 years, from 1268 CE to 1276 CE.

Mission 3 - The Fall of the Song - no time limit, starts in 1276 CE
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
zhoudynasty
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions5.0
First attempt rating

Playability: 3

Balance: 3

Creativity: 5
I like the idea on the Weapons, so 5 for Creativity because of the limited Weapons from the start and must use Hero Guan Di to get more free Weapons.

Map Design: 3

Story/Instructions: 5

Additional Comments:
On my first try, Mission 1 is much tougher than I thought. I guess the Hero Xi Wang Mu must be utilized to speed up the construction of the Grand Temple Complex? I tried without Hero and failed.

No issue in getting 2k population and 3 allies. No issue too in getting Hero Guan Di to appear and bless the Miltary with 4 weapons to fight against Khan-Baliq.
However, felt that building of Grand Temple Complex was too much and too rush in the span of 9 years. Probably should have built a smaller temple instead of Grand Temple Complex?
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
You are probably trying hard not to read the mission hints I included, but I will share a couple for clarity on what you have experienced so far.

Mission 1 is essentially a "speed" mission due to the 9 year time constraint. A player should utilize advanced micromanaging skills in the first couple of game years to get the city up and running quickly. The biggest tip for this is to study the map carefully and place a common housing block near the map's entrance point, to provide the fastest immigration possible. Fast immigration = expanded workforce, which allows you to start work on the GTC as soon as the end of the first game year (at least to begin delivering wood to it). For an example of this, you can study the playtest screenshots from my playtesting at this link:

http://emperor.heavengames.com/gallery/Hero_of_Wudang_Mountain

I am guessing you know how to micromanage early in a mission because you have played some very hard campaigns, but if you want to read how I do it, go to this forum link and read post #7, which explains how I do it step-by-step from the very first moment I begin playing a new mission in a campaign.

http://caesar3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/caeforumscgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=19,4860,0,365

You saw that you are given a large gift of wood early in mission 1, and this gift is designed to help you jump-start the construction of the Grand Temple Complex. However, you are correct in the assumption that you should summon Xi Wang Mu to speed up construction. If you summon her and keep her in the city for even a few game years, you can complete the temple in under 9 years. I believe she is most effective in speeding up the work of the dirt deliverymen, so try to have her in your city during that construction phase of the GTC. You will need to micromanage between summoning her and summoning Guan Di to obtain weapons for your two companies of monk fighters.

Those are some of the challenges that I put in the design that qualify this campaign as "Very Hard" difficulty. Don't give up, I know there is a hero inside you who can rebuild and protect Wudangshan!

[Edited on 11/06/20 @ 09:35 AM]

zhoudynasty Just played on my second attempt.
Indeed, I try hard not to read your mission hints. This way when I win, I win it my way and it's gets more fulfilling. Only when I am really at my wits end, then I will read for reference.

I managed to pass all 3 Missions.
However, I didn't enjoy this campaign as much as Shaolin Monastery as this campaign winning missions are mostly speed building in Mission 1, 2 and 3.
Usage of Hero - Xi Wang Mu is a must to speed up building. In Mission 1, before I was given a large gift of wood early, I started off early with stocking up Stone and Hemp. That was how I got Xi Wang Mu to appear to get a head start.
Thanks to this campaign I learnt how useful this hero can be. In Mission 2, I completed when Khan-Baliq has crushed my City Gate and is just about to attack my army; way before Mongol Empire strike their attack.
And in Mission 3, Khan-Baliq has disappeared from my city. :D

While Mission 3 is not so much of a challenge. Have no problem winning when Splendid Temple can be built with ease, and also by building more City Walls and City Gates and with dead end; with 1 infantry, 1 cavalry and Hero - Huang Di.

[Edited on 11/07/20 @ 08:54 PM]

Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Congratulations on winning the campaign. Happy gaming!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity5.0