Author File Description
Gweilo2
File Details
# of Episodes: 3
# of Cities: 1
Difficulty: Very Hard
Custom Maps: Yes
Minimap:
"The art of war is of vital importance to the State. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected." ~ Sun Tzu.

Master Sun Tzu served the Kingdom of Wu during the late Spring and Autumn period. This campaign will chronicle historic events in his life, and culminate in his writing "The Art of War" - a treatise that is still used today as a tool in politics, business, and military strategy. As the player, you will be a part of these historic events in the role of Sun Tzu's second-in-command, where you will learn the Art of War from the master himself!

This campaign includes a new custom map of 'enormous' size, and features the great wall monument. A player will interact with 12 historically-accurate cities. Resources, commodities, and available structures follow the Emperor model for the early iron age.

An extra file is included in this download. It is a text file named 'STTAOW_Readme.txt', and contains installation instructions, background information, campaign design notes, general play tips, and mission hints (warning: contains spoilers). Additionally, other hints are available by viewing the album of playtest screenshots in the Emperor Heaven gallery.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This campaign is rated 'very hard', and will provide a solid challenge for advanced players. For the best play experience, a player should possess an advanced understanding of the game's military aspect, using spies, time-constrained missions, money management, trading, labor allocation, production output, monument construction, summoning and using the Heroes, and empire-map diplomacy.

Missions Teasers: (Note - missions 1 & 2 use a 'time limit' goal)

Mission 1 - The Art of Deception - 10 years, from 516 BCE to the end of 507 BCE.

Mission 2 - Fall like a Thunderbolt - 5 years, from 506 BCE to the end of 502 BCE.

Mission 3 - The Art of War - no time limit, starts in 501 BCE.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Strategic Indian
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
(Insert Playability analysis here)
This is another masterpiece by Gweilo and the very hard/expert gameplay i have come to expect of him! The campaign flows very well.
In M1 you build up trade and stockpile weapons.
M2 you send out spies, cripple the enemy and take them over. If you wait too long then they will gang up on you and its GG.
M3: While you are quite powerful at this point, the enemy is often attacking from different directions, invading from non secured/difficult to reach timely locations or your vassals are being rebellious.

In all extremely fun and enjoyable!

Balance: 5
(Insert Balance analysis here)

The game paces you very well so do not try to over expand. Stick to the tasks, the goal of 20k treasury after 10 years might look trivial but without access to elite housing, you need to fully focus on trade and handouts from your allies to tide you over.

Creativity: 5
(Insert Creativity analysis here)
Extremely creative, well thought out and you follow in the footstep of a young apprentice of Sun Tzu--What could be better?

Map Design: 5
(Insert Map Design analysis here)
beautiful map with immense amount of free area.
I stuck in 5 YES 5 elite housing and managed to evolve them completely. As this is Iron Age only, I could not access the heavenly compounds. I shudder to think how much my tax income then would be...I think 150k per year or 170k with Confucius doing the rounds....Wonderful! Make such open maps please!

Story/Instructions: 5
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Its wonderful storyline a bit heavy on exposition and quotes from Sun Tzu. No worries, I enjoyed it and it was great fun playing this!

Additional Comments:

Thank you for making this. Look forward to more tough campaigns from you. Any plans to make more?
Best regards
The Strategic Indian
TSI
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
S.I., thank you for the review!

My memory of this one revolves around how difficult it was to create the map. I chose to use the most difficult Great Wall footprint to place on the map. By "most difficult" I mean that it is generated on the map with many "black spot" tiles, and each one must be fixed by the designer. It proved to be a daunting task over many days! Still, the GW footprint on the final map turned out well.

I definitely took a deep dive into "The Art of War", and my research is apparent in the storyline. Players will definitely learn some of the key points of that treatise as they play this campaign!

As to your question...I think it is quite probable that I will build another "Very Hard" campaign. Someday...

[Edited on 12/06/23 @ 08:45 AM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0