You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: We've got interiors, but what about ships?
posted 08-21-03 01:09 AM EDT (US)   
Something I tried to do (and failed to do) in EE was to create the impression during a cinematics that the characters were aboard a ship. Is it possible to do this in Empires in any way? Is there a mast building, a railing building, and so on?

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie
Replies:
posted 08-21-03 03:18 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
yeah i tried to that many times but with the interiors already youcould probably make a room in a ship but i dunno about the deck
posted 08-21-03 05:07 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
To do it on EE don't you increase the graphic scale of a boat by about 60% make sure it is placed as close to the beach as possible, and when the unit(s) reach that area next to the boat they get removed, then the boats task area is activated.

Surely it would work quite well using that method right?

posted 08-21-03 09:54 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
but doesnt that make the boat look really really $hittie?

Well Lois, I tried finding my creativity like you said. First I tried an art class..Am I-Am I supposed to draw the penis? Then I tried sculpting..Am I-Am I supposed to sculpt the penis? Then i tried music..Am I-Am I supposed to conduct with my penis? Then I realised that this is it, Lois, my penis belongs on stage! ---Family Guy
posted 08-21-03 04:40 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
The boat models (as all models in Empires) are very detailed and look very good close up, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Tonto Z «» HG Angel «» Not Zen
Support HG | Rise of Nations Heaven | Empires: DMW
No crackers, Gromit! We've forgotten the crackers.
posted 08-21-03 05:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
That's not quite what I meant, Oblivion, but thanks anyway.

What I meant to ask was if there was a way to simulte units standing on the deck of the ship, like in the AoM cutscenes.

I tried to increase the graphic scale of the ship and use elevation to place units on the deck of a ship (by increasing the elevation until the ground was as high as the deck), but it didn't work.

posted 08-21-03 09:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
The ships decks in AoM were specifically modeled for that purpose. A bad thing is that with these specific animations, there is no freedom.

I dont think it would be possble to put units on ships, not without the above mentioned ability. The scaling alone, would seriously mess with the textures .

Angel AzN | News Editor Lead EH, HeavenGames LLC
"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" -Admiral Farragut, Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay
HeavenGamesEmpires Heaven | 3DMark05 Score3DMark03 Score | WearYELLOW
posted 08-24-03 00:30 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Interesting question! There are no interiors per se designed to look like ship interiors in EDMW. However, I believe there are enough components available to fake it rather well. There's a great wooden planking used for floors. There are vertical objects that, with a scale increase, might work as masts. Hmmm... all in all it could be a very cool trick that some clever underground scenario builder could put together and get lots of praise for doing it...
posted 08-24-03 00:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11  

Quote:

However, I believe there are enough components available to fake it rather well. There's a great wooden planking used for floors. There are vertical objects that, with a scale increase, might work as masts. Hmmm... all in all it could be a very cool trick that some clever underground scenario builder could put together and get lots of praise for doing it...

That was my big issue with Neverwinter Nights, their area creation left barely anything for the clever and original mod designer. A mod designer could not mix several terrains together and thus transitions from one area to another are pretty strange. IE: in exiting a castle, you exit through a large gate. In entering, there is no castle gate or walls for the rural or woodland areas.

| Dawn of Fantasy | A new innovative fantasy RTS from | Reverie World Studios LLC |
Come join us on our | Forums | as we release more information on our game.
"...It might take two to tango, but only one to spam..." - Legion
"I'm not small, I'm space-efficient." - RLC
posted 08-24-03 01:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
Is there a "stack of cannonballs" object in the scenario editor? What about something that could double as a woodem railing?

posted 08-24-03 04:32 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
There's no stack of cannonballs, but there is a pretty nice fence that can be used as a railing. There are also barrels, boxes, and chests. At the very least you can create a persuasive deck setting for a cinematic --- provided you use clever camera angles to conceal the rough edges of the "set"!
posted 08-25-03 02:35 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
Maybe making little cliffs surrounded by water as a deck, with fences and a wooden floor would simulate well?

DR LORENZO
AoEH | Woad Creations Alumni
I of course meant bastard in a positive way! - Kor
I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
Empires Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » We've got interiors, but what about ships?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empires Heaven | HeavenGames