Please login or register

Community Forum
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New Age of Gaming?
posted 11-07-03 02:33 AM EDT (US)   
Activision reported a $10 million loss today and dropped 10 titles from their lineup:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/trinity/news_6079589.html

The Activision President had this little ditty to say: "The video game market is increasingly dominated by high-quality products based on recognizable franchises supported with big marketing programs. We have decided to take steps to align our business with the continuing evolution of the video game market."

Do you know what the real problem is? High-budget games with bad game design. Everyone wants all this "eye candy" because it sells. People see something beautiful and figure the inside is just as, or nearly so. I am willing to bet that the majority of game companies out there have a staff that looks something like this:

60% Artists
30% Programmers
10% Designers

Now, mind you, 10% designers is not bad as long as you have people who can actually design a fun game. My point is, graphics and technology have become such a focus for game companies that fun gameplay is no longer top priority.

My opinion from what Activision said in that statement is that they are going to focus tightly on a smaller group of games, make sure those companies make the graphics top-of-the-line and then market the hell out of them. Marketing is where its at. If you have 5 games you need to market, and not 15, you can REALLY market those 5 games. Just look at that Matrix game. Review-wise it was a failure, but it sold millions of copies due to massive marketing and (smart) marketing due to its release days before the 2nd Matrix movie came out.

Who gives a crap about gameplay, right? Let me ask you a question and see what you answer. Would you knowingly rush out a crappy game if you knew it would sell millions? Or would you try to be original and make your own game that might totally flop, or could be another gaming classic? Would you go for the sure thing, or take the gamble?

And why did Activision report such a loss? Who knows. Bad marketing? Bad games? Is it that the average game costs so much more to make now than a game in the early to mid nineties, because of the over-reliance on flashy graphics? That's my opinion. Take it or leave it. You can't make money if every game company under you is dumping millions into their staff to make pretty graphics, but crappy gameplay. Unless...of course, you hype it up and market the hell out of it. Get ready for the new age of gaming, everyone!

Replies:
posted 11-10-03 00:30 AM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
each game generation jumps ahead in one category or another... this time it was graphics at the expense of game mechanics. In Empire Earth it was building on AoE's range and game mechaincs, and not so much on graphics...

it's a rare game indeed that is cutting edge in multiple categories and innovative, so I'm not disappointed...

my[ -gaming art- -custom scenarios (with screenshots)- ] custom scenario groups: -scnpunk- -woad creations- ]
screen names contemplating: …………
posted 11-10-03 04:32 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
Most games dropped by Activision are sports which usually, no offense, suck. I think games that are based on movies and come out right before the movie does (Hulk, Matrix, Spider-Man, X-Men) get so many copies sold because people are like "Oh, the movie was cool so must the game be." Let's not forget I-don't-know-how-they-are-pulling-this franchise games like The Sims and Tycoon ones. They suck?! OH HELL YEAH!

There is small number of real gamers who are outnumbered by the regular, "let's get that 'coz it looks cool (like Hank said)." Think about it. I don't like where this is going. Hopefully, from 10 years now, we won't start seeing real, fun (despite the graphics) games disappearing.

I would put something here but...*gunshots*
posted 11-10-03 05:34 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
All is not lost, as grim a picture I painted in my original post. There are a lot of smaller companies that still make great, low to medium budget games. There are still a good amount of "niche" games as well, such as Hearts of Iron and Medieval Total War that don't appeal to the masses.

I understand the need to make money, that's why they call it business. I just hope one day 90% of the game companies out there aren't all going to be making dumbed down (or overly simplified) eye-candy games that are great for marketing purposes but short on fun. Sure, it may rake in the dough (Ala Enter the Matrix) but it's not a good trend for people who actually like to have fun when they play a game.

posted 11-10-03 05:48 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
Of the three examples given of games they dropped:
Trinity, Shaun Palmer's Pro Snowboarder 2, Street Hoops sequel

I have never heard of. This leads me to believe the titles they dropped sucked, and thus they lost money due to the investment costs of these games (development, marketing). So it costs them more to make it than they recieved in return.

On a purely financial point of view, I would definitely rush out a game that would sell millions without regard to if it was good or not.

From the gamer's point of view, I know this would not only upset gamers but also prevent them from buying other titles of the same publisher/developer. So in the long run, my success would not be as great if I did so.

But we live in a short-term world. We worry about future consequences... in the future.

Angel AzN | News Editor Lead EH, HeavenGames LLC
"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" -Admiral Farragut, Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay
HeavenGamesEmpires Heaven | 3DMark05 Score3DMark03 Score | WearYELLOW
Empires Heaven » Forums » Community Forum » New Age of Gaming?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empires Heaven | HeavenGames