Please login or register

Scenario Design Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: neat little trick with resizing
posted 01-08-04 02:26 PM EDT (US)   
I discovered a neat little trick that you can do with graphic resizing. say you want a commander to be on a cliff and watch as his troops attack some enemy held mountain a few miles away. the cliff and the hill don't have to have more than 10 tiles seperating them. just shrink any units and buildings down. (I recommend down to 10% for people, 30% (if I remember correctly) for tanks & artillery units, 50% for buildings). this makes them seem fairly far away, yet still visible. however, you will have to decrease their speed down to match their size (2 speed for soldiers, 4 for tanks) to make it seem realistic. the only thing is that you cannot resize GAIA objects, so the battlefield will have to be very bare, unless you get real creative with flowers and shrubbery.

what does everyone think?

Bah.
Replies:
posted 01-08-04 02:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
Sounds like a great technique. And I think if you hunt through the plant ambients you can find stuff that will look like full-sized trees, bushes etc. from a distance, too.
posted 01-09-04 03:24 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
Resized buildings often seem far apart...try placing flares or impassible tiles together and replacing them with buildings so that they overlap but seem the right distance apart when miniaturized.

[This message has been edited by _o0XxX0o_ (edited 01-09-2004 @ 03:24 AM).]

posted 01-09-04 09:08 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
yeah, resizing buildings makes them look far apart, but there are probably many ways around that

now let's see someone do pelennor fields with tiny soldiers

Bah.
posted 01-09-04 12:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
yes do like a checker board placement with the houses as if they were on all black squares or white, then the gaps would be filled but the houses filling the gaps would be one row back and so on.
posted 01-10-04 06:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
will making infantry smaller effect performance in a positive way?
posted 01-11-04 02:18 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
don't know

Bah.
posted 01-20-04 10:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
This really is as the post name says, "neat little trick with resizing", I might try it.

ShadowJawa aka -=Spac=-
"Through dying suns and midnights grim,
And treachery, and faith gone dim,
Whatever dark the world may send,
Still lovers meet at journey's end."
Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design Discussions » neat little trick with resizing
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empires Heaven | HeavenGames