Please login or register

Scenario Design Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Richard's Quest 2 - The Iberian Crusades
posted 02-23-09 02:56 PM EDT (US)   
I have long ago started, and reccently continued, the sequel to Richard's Quest.

This scenario takes place after Richard has been crowned king of England, and is heading out on a Crusade, but is stopped short at Portugal when asked to help with the Reconquista.
Naturally this is not a historical scenario, but this time it's inspired by historical events.

Once more you take command of Richard the Lionheart and his 3 aides, riding around the countryside recruiting men for your army, doing some side-quests for local lords, routing bandit groups, etc.

In this sequel your going to see bigger battles with more civilizations involved, aswell as explore a bigger (hopefully even prettier) map. I already mentioned you're also going to have side-quests.
I'll also try to remember to add diffculty levels.
I've removed the B&D elements and will concentrate on Fixed Force and a hint of RPG probably.

Anyhow, one of my eye-candy projects for this map has grounded to a halt, and I've no idea how to solve it.
Anyone has the slightest clue how to keep your CITIZENS from rotting off?
Of course I could just give up on them, but destroyed villages look much better with a bunch of dead people lying in the smoldering ruins, won't you agree?

Administrator of the Empire Creations design team.
Check out our website: www.freewebs.com/empirecreationsteam/
We're looking for fresh talent. If you can design, join us and prosper!
Replies:
posted 02-23-09 04:27 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
I believe if you assign the citizens a unit of food, they won't rot.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
posted 02-23-09 07:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
Have you tried given you're citizens iron? That's a resource that isn't used in the actual game. However, I know for a fact that food, wood, gold or stone won't work because then the game just assumes that your cit. was gathering something before he died.

Btw, I am sad to see that you're eliminating your B&D elements of the campaign :-(

I haven't seen a good user-generated B&D mission in a while (shameless foreshadowing for part of my upcoming campaign ), but I respect your decision nevertheless. Good luck and I look forward to downloading your campaign soon!
posted 02-23-09 08:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Ah, yes, I forgot that citizens gather resources, so the food trick won't work. Well, if iron doesn't work, you can always loop a trigger to increase their corpse rot time. I believe it is a class attribute.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
"I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
"OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon
posted 02-25-09 10:31 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
I gave them both food and 9999999% increase in rotting time but neithe worked.
I'll give the Iron a go then.

EDIT:

Didn't work.

[This message has been edited by Talknight2 (edited 02-25-2009 @ 10:38 AM).]

posted 02-25-09 04:01 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
You need to make an object:
All villagers
State Rotting

Then you make a trigger:
When Object 1 exists Object 1 rotting time remaining increase by 99999999. And then loop it.
posted 02-27-09 03:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
I'll try that.

posted 03-01-09 10:27 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
Thanks jocamar.
Worked like a charm.

Now I can continue trying to figure out how to fill empty space without making the map lag of forest overloads.
Ideas anyone?

posted 03-01-09 12:56 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
You really have couple options here:

You could make some small villages/hamlets consisting of a handful of "hovels" and "cottages" from the Lionheart campaigns. A handful of burned buildings will add to realism a bit, since banditry will apparently be an issue in this campaign.

You could make a small river/stream that is at -1 elevation so that land units can pass over it, but as you might already know, this can severely effect any cliffs that you've already made.

You might want to make a "vineyard" out of rows of berry bushes, with some peasants harvesting "grapes"

You could make a herder herding some sheep.

A church here and there wouldn't look out of place.

Rolling hills and cliffs also tend to work out well.

Hope you find these suggestions helpful.
Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design Discussions » Richard's Quest 2 - The Iberian Crusades
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empires Heaven | HeavenGames