Scenario Design Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Some Design Tricks
posted 01-01-04 08:43 PM EDT (US)   
Editor Tricks

Some of these you may already know, some you may not. These are just simple tricks I discovered (maybe not invented), so take them for what they are.

First, the civilian to soldiers trick.

This trick may be useful in several ways. You can make Asian archers, or make WW2 mobbing civilians. This trick was discovered by Lord_Uxbridge.

1.Pick a civilian
2.Go into triggers
3.Make him a new object
4.Go under triggers>effects>object>stance and change it to aggressive (Please note this is the most important step)
5.Change the range and attack to that of a normal soldier (normally increase range by 4 or so, and attack by about 60)

That trick also works in EE for heroes who do not normally attack (i.e. the Black Prince) by changing the stance.

Some interesting little game animations.

I’m guessing these were put there as a joke by the designers.

Get a smiley face on the field.
1.Create a new area on the map.
2.Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>sfx_xnightfall
3.Set the graphic scale to 1, (or however big you want it to be) and set it to the area on the map.
4.Include it in a trigger, and when it appears, a smiley face will appear and then disappear on the map.

Get a smiley face forcefield.

2.Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>sfx_xvetran
3.Set the graphic scale to 1, (or however big you want it to be) and set it to the area on the map.
4.You will get a group of smiley faces flying around to form a dome.

Other useful animation tools.

Bomb shell impact (non-disappearing)

2.Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>sfx xkbombcrater
4.You will get the same effect you get from an artillery shell, only it does not disappear.

This is not the full list, so I will add on as I come across more.

[This message has been edited by Phantom Designer (edited 01-01-2004 @ 08:45 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-01-04 09:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
Sounds good Hope you'll keep on updating it
posted 01-02-04 01:04 AM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
Good luck with this thread
but there is already a thread similiar to this called The Scenario Design Resource Library

"It is well that war is so terrible: else we should not grow to fond of it."

General Robert E. Lee

[This message has been edited by Blink (edited 01-02-2004 @ 01:05 AM).]

posted 01-02-04 11:55 AM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
do you know a way to group areas together, so i dont have a hundred triggers and effects if i want to make a bombed out battlefield?

I am just getting really cluttered in my map because of so much extras, and I want to start compiling them down into smaller numbers.

posted 01-02-04 05:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20  
Theoretically, if you continue use of the “combine area” effect, you should be able to combine them to the point where you only need two or so areas. But like I said, that’s somewhat theoretical.
I’ll have to try it out.
posted 01-02-04 11:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20  
Cheers for BOMB SHELL IMPACT. Now i don't have to search tons of effects to get a perminant crater. CHEERS

P.S.
ZEALOT make several areas and use the 'or' 'and ' statement in the area section and link them all together. This way if you are wanting explosions in several areas use 'or' for diferent areas each trigger loop, 'and' for all areas at once. REMEMBER: Leave the last area in the group set to none - don't loop the areas back on themselves . hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by mitch1971 (edited 01-02-2004 @ 11:41 PM).]

posted 01-03-04 02:16 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
but i had a crater called <crater3> AND <crater4>
linked with and AND

but on the crater4 i didnt use an AND, I used NONE.
and neither of the craters would show up on the map. if i unlink them they show up. what should i do?

posted 01-03-04 07:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20  
Phantom Designer:

I'm posting this reply here because you probably look at this the topic the most. I need to hear your British and Russian accents otherwise you can't help me. If you say you've already e-mailed them to me and I haven't gotten them. Then e-mail them a different way.

"...we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be...we shall never surrender!" - Winston Churchill
And a Proud Member of the Behind Enemy Lines Design Team
Projects: The Story of Robert Lavaux
|

posted 01-03-04 09:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20  
ZEALOT. What i can learn from your post's isnt much. Give me more detail. Do you want them to appear progressively over the map or all at the same time? Are some of your areas filled with any other object, if so maybe it can not find a space to plant the effect. If this is the case, it maybe why your other areas are not producing the effect, because they are linked by 'and' so the trigger is never true because the bad area is braking the link. Hope your still with me! :0 For starters try using the 'or' statement, just to see if thats the problem. You could also possibly find a flat none cluttered area of your map, and move the areas there just to test my theory concerning other objects taking up the room in the areas you have set.

let us know.

posted 01-03-04 11:55 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20  
I want them to be there the entire time.

and i will check that open space thing but I am almost positive they where all on open ground.
the only ones that dont work are the ones with the linking statements.

posted 01-05-04 09:43 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
Simply by experimenting with the graphic effects, I discovered some interesting new objects not found in the editor otherwise.

Here they are.

A Red Rug
This is, just as it says, a red circular rug.

1. Create a new area on the map.
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>fx xspyyurtgrounding01
3. Set the graphic scale to 1, (or however big you want it to be) and set it to the area on the map.

A blue pot
This is a simple blue pot not found in objects
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>fx xkpot02 06
3. For some reason, both pots are irregularly large. For about correct proportions, set the graphic scale to 0.20

Another Blue pot
This is a simple blue pot that is tipped over, pouring out gold
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>fx xkpot01 06
3. For some reason, both pots are irregularly large. For about correct proportions, set the graphic scale to 0.20

Booby Trap Ground
This is the hole appearance found when a player plants a booby trap only it does not disappear.
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>fx xboobytrapground 00
3. Set the graphic scale to 1, (or however big you want it to be) and set it to the area on the map.

Ammunition Crate
A nifty ammunition crate
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>sfx xarmorycrates09
3. Set the graphic scale to 1 and set it to the area on the map.

A pie
This is literally an apple pie with steam coming off of it
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>sfx xrandompie

Hope these objects are useful. (Especially the pie)

posted 01-05-04 09:49 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20  
I've been looking for an excuse to update the library, it seems this is it.

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 01-06-04 08:47 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
Glad to hear it.

While I’m here…

A Stack of Barrels
As it says, a stack or barrels (as opposed to 1)
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>amb xstackbarrels 06
3. For some reason, this animation is irregularly large. For about correct proportions, set the graphic scale to 0.20

A Stack of boxes
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>amb xstackboxes 06
3. For some reason, this animation is irregularly large. For about correct proportions, set the graphic scale to 0.20

A Stack of crates
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>amb xstackcrates 06

A hidden unit walking
This is a longswordsman with Richard’s tunic that walks a few spaces and disappears
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>sfx x3dulongswordwalker 23
3. For some reason, this animation is smaller that regular proportions. For about correct proportions, set the graphic scale to 23.00

posted 01-07-04 12:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
Phantom:

Most of these graphic objects were created to be used in the cinematics and in the 3D UI splash screens at the start of each SP campaign. The little marching longswordsman, for example, is the guy patrolling the castle wall in the distance, in the Lionheart UI Splash Screen.

But it's pretty cool all this stuff got included in the editor. If you hunt around and experiment with what's there, there're dozens and dozens of cool secrets that can be unlocked! (As you are clearly figuring out!)

posted 01-07-04 03:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
This is a really cool thread
posted 01-07-04 11:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
stacks of barrels stacks of boxes! your reading my mind Phantom. Hope someone comes up with a list of fx and such in a read me or something. cool work
posted 01-10-04 06:40 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
Seems like this thread is coming on quite nicely. Cool! There are many things I can learn from it

"It is well that war is so terrible: else we should not grow to fond of it."

General Robert E. Lee
posted 01-12-04 03:23 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20  
Glad to see the feedback. Well, here are some more things you may find useful.

A Wheat farm
To be honest, I design and work with triggers, and in all honesty I really don’t know if this can be found in the units section. If so, sorry.
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>fx xfarmwheat

Rain
This makes a small area on the map rain. It does have a rainbow, however. If I find another animation without that, I’ll post it.
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>sfx xrain highaltitude

Dirtpile
This is just a pile of dirt.
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>sfx xdirtpile

A Cow
This is a regular cow. The body or head does not move, so it does seem somewhat lifeless. But if that doesn’t bother you too much it looks rather nice.
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>fx xgbfoodbarncow 06

A different crater
This crater is different from the bomb impact, but it is still a crater.
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>fx xrubble crater

A Ground Scorch
This is a black scorch on the ground, (in is the tile for sandbag debris)
2. Go to triggers>effects>game>graphic effects>fx xrubblescorch

posted 01-13-04 10:10 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
Hey um... Phantom can I get some help? I'm trying to do your first trick. Changing a Korean Commoner to a longbowman. Ok this is what i do... make a commoner, make a commoner object <commoner>. Then I replace him with a longbowman, and then 5 secs later i change him to aggressive stance. Thats I understood it it's obviously wrong cuz it doesnt work. I also tried to make the object aggressive THEN 5 secs later replace him. Tell me what i'm doin wrong. I just get a normal longbowman. Nothin special about him except he has the martial arts ability. :\

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organised by the Italians.

posted 01-14-04 03:52 AM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
Third Fleet, you misunderstood Phantom Designer.

Basically what he means to explain is that, if a civilian is set to agressive stance through triggers, he will automatically attack enemies nearby, just like a normal unit. If you increase his attack and range, he can be used like a normal soldier in your scenarios.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 01-14-04 07:04 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20  
O thx Derfel. You make me sound like an idiot But thanks!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organised by the Italians.

Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design Discussions » Some Design Tricks
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empires Heaven | HeavenGames