Multiplayer Scenarios » North Vs. South

Download File

North Vs. South

Author File Description
Hank
File Details
# of Players: 2-4
Version: Empires: Retail Release
- Streamlined economic system. Resource income is equal for all players for the entire scenario. Victory comes to those who use their troops wisely and efficiently on the battlefield, not by how fast you can boom your economy and overwhelm your opponent.

- Streamlined military system. A menu system is used to purchase the only two types of military units in the game. Players buy either a Regiment (30 Regulars) or an Artillery Battery (2 Culverins) for 300 and 500 Gold respectively. Units instantly appear and are available for battle.

- Unique Victory Point System. There are 7 landmarks across the map each with their own Victory Point Value. Holding onto a location for 5 minutes gives that team the corresponding VP value. Fight huge battles over memorable locations such as the Apple Orchard, Killdeer Mountain, the Stone Bridge and many more!

- Overall map strategy and placement of units plays a vital role in victory. Holding the high ground can turn the tide of battle. It could take 3 or more regiments to dislodge 1 regiment backed up with artillery!

- For those with faster computers, the Host has the option of turning on dead bodies. Literally hundreds of dead men will litter the battlefield by the time a victor emerges and truly shows off the horrors of 19th century warfare.

Member of Tsunami Studios (www.tsunamistudios.org)
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
BlackEvil
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
This mutiplayer scenario is really fun once you get into it.

It gets a 5 from me for Playability because of the fun can have once you get into the game like sneaking up onto the enemy

4 Balance: for its nice unit balance with the units and citzens but if you play forawhile you can notice that most of the towns that you take over,are close to the 4th and 5th player

5 creativity: for its use of the Question Box when wanting to make units which is a good system insteading having clicking on something and the whole idea is very creative

4 Map Design: the map is awesome in its design but doesnt have alot of eye candy in certain spots

5 Story/Intructions: the game is simple to understand and the intructions are good

[Edited on 11/10/03 @ 03:39 PM]

ToXiC TaNK
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
I have had no problems playing it, all the triggers and stuff seem flawless. It gets a little slow if you leave dead bodies, but since you have an option to turn it off, it makes it all good :) I do wish that you could select how quickly the bases give you VPs, right now, even if you are entirely winning, the game will still last a good 1/2 hour. No big deal but I felt I would mention it.

Balance: 4
Balance would be more of a 3.5 in my opinion. Its not really bad, but a few parts felt a little unbalanced. Map design was a tiny bit unbalanced but nothing big, But the big thing is, I feel the artillery is too weak for the cost. 1 regiment of infantry is nearly always a better choice, so I often don't see battles with any artillery, maybe if you made artillery more like it was in that one Civil War scenario you made for EE, it would be a little better.

Creativity: 5
Can't say anything bad about creativity. The way units are made and how you play the game are very good.

Map Design: 5
The feel of the map is great. It really feels like the civil war. Some of the towns are awesome.

Story/Instructions: 5
Haven't seen a problem here either. Never actually had a player not know what they are doing yet.

Additional Comments:
Great scenario :D Can't wait for Sniper Wars and any other scenarios you make :D
Adder
(id: The Adder)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Great scenario! Worthy of it's place as second multiplayer. ;-)
Playability: 5
I didn't see any bugs, everything went very smoothly and it was a load of fun to play, I can't wait for more games of it. Overall great playability

Balance: 4
Balance was okay, but it's very hard to make a map like this totally balanced. Some areas are easier to control and get more points than others. Maybe something to even out the points more would improve this score. Overall it was okay though, nothing that would stop me from playing again.

Creativity: 5
Very creative and well done. I enjoyed the concept of holding places for certain numbers of points. The idea for the scenario is original. Very nice.

Map Design: 5
Beautiful map. The towns and forests were artfully created. The design improved the feel of the game considerably. The strategic points placed are also another plus.

Story/Instructions: 5
The instructions were clear and understandable. Not much of a story other than "Civil War" but MP scenarios shouldn't really be graded on story, IMO.

Additional Comments:
A must download for someone looking for a nice fun game of Empires. Also worth downloading if you need ideas for a scenario of your own as it uses many of Empires capabilities.

To the Author:
I can't wait for more of your scenarios.
Hank
File Author
Thanks a lot fella's. Glad you enjoy it. I've played from both teams' perspectives and have won from either side. From playing a lot I realized that winning is based on quite a few factors. Terrain height advantage is one. Knowing when to retreat is another. Using troops effectively (Ie, letting full health regiments take the brunt of the fire while you're weak regiments fire from flanks) and other aspects.

The trick about the cannons is that they CAN be worth much more than their cost IF you can keep them alive. They are useful when defending the high ground, and in groups of 3 or more can devastate grouped units (especially when congested, like on a bridge). Of course, they are vulnerable so if you find them hard to micromanage it would be better instead to purchase troops.

Thanks again for the great reviews guys, I have plenty more scenarios on the way,
Intrepid
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
North Vs. South

In the history of North America there is no war that stands out like the American Civil War. It was the bloodiest conflict ever seen on this continent and to this day there has not been a war that has see a greater loss of life then the Civil War. After writing that little spiel it comes to mind that this scenario might not actually be based in some fictional battle of the Civil War. In fact this could really be anything as the scenario is simply titled North Vs South. Given the authors fascination with the Civil War I think that it could safely be said that this multiplayer scenario has its roots in the Civil War.

The concept for this 2 vs 2 scenario is fairly simple. Each player has a few citizens that mine gold in a protected area that the enemy cannot breach. This gold is used to then purchase your military arsenal. For 300 gold you can buy a regiment of gun carrying infantry and for 500 you can buy 2 artillery pieces. All around the map you can find locations that are worth a certain amount of points, if a player is able to hold the location successfully for a period of time. The goal is for a team to accumulate 100 points. By doing so your team will achieve victory.

- Playability –

For one of the first scenarios released for Empires, this scenario is incredibly polished. There was not a single bug or problem that hindered the intended game play in anyway. When I had the pleasure of playing this scenario I found it to be completely lag less. Though the option for dead bodies had been disabled, which I am positive would have attributed to some lag if it had been indeed turned on. The fact that such an option exists speaks nothing but quality and innovation from the author.

Playability improvements

- This scenario is dead on in the playability department

- Score: 5 -

- Balance -

The Balance in this scenario was rather good but one aspect seemed rather troublesome. Once a team fell behind and was trapped at their end it was almost impossible for them to make any sort of comeback. This however is a minor problem, as all multiplayer scenarios need to have an end to them and the team that has fought hard to trap the other team in a corner should not be punished just for the sake of giving the team on the verge of defeat another chance. At the beginning of the scenario everything is perfectly balanced. Units that are available to one side are available to the other, everyone starts with the correct amount of citizens for mining gold and the locations that yield points are spaced out in such a manner so that one team does not have an advantage over the other.

Balance Improvements

- This scenario is well balanced, but it might be nice to give the dying player one more chance to make a stand for a comeback. It would not have to anything incredibly powerful, but something would be nice.

- Score: 4 -

- Creativity -

As the first real multiplayer scenario for Empires Dawn of the Modern World this scenario is fairly creative and deviates quite a bit from the standard Empires game style. One idea that stuck me as especially creative was the option at the beginning that allowed the host to choose whether they wanted to dead bodies to stay or not. This is not an option that is critical to the game, but it makes excellent use of the menu trigger.

Creativity Improvements

- Perfect, no need for improvement

- Map Design -

The Map Design really stands out in this scenario. Everything looks pretty good; by the high marks are the towns where most of the battles take place. They are well designed so that a battle and easily go on in and around them. They have been constructed in a way such so that they limit lag while still looking exceptional. The author has made excellent use of elevation to allow players to been even more strategic in their placement of infantry and artillery.

Map Design Improvements

- An option that would allow players to increase the amount of eye candy in the scenario would nice. This function could work on a similar system as the dead body system. This however is not critical.

Instructions / Story

There is no story in this scenario, however the instruction at the beginning and the use of the objectives window during the game are great. Being told via text in the objectives window when a location was captured was particularly helpful.

Instruction / Story Improvements

- Zilch

- Score: 5 –

- Final Score: 4.8 -

I would heavily recommend downloading this scenario and playing right away. This scenario has all the components of a winner and it certainly shines as one. The author of this scenario has raised the designing bar pretty high by releasing this as the first multiplayer scenario.
Third Fleet Playability: 4
Good playability.

Balance: 5
Very balanced all players start with the same thing!

Creativity: 4
Basic Civil War Story, but control pionts are fun.

Map Design: 4
Detailed Map, a little to simple... still very good though. I can't say if it's historically accurate, as I'm not familiar with the area.

Story/Instructions: 3
Easy to play, not really a story.

Additional Comments: FUN MAP!

[Edited on 01/20/04 @ 05:31 PM]

Adder
(id: The Adder)
Third Fleet, I advise adding to your comments, you can't just say; Good, elaborate on what you're saying and explain why you gave the scores you did.
Byz
(id: Byzantine_Warrior)
"Detailed Map, a little to simple"

This is probably me just being defensive, but if you are comparing this map to a single player scenario, that isn't fair. Multiplayer scenario maps will be not as lush, due to lag issues. I do think the 4 is a good rating, but the reasoning I'm hoping is different than I just pointed out.
Space_trader
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability:4

Playability is quite good here and it doesn't seem too bad at first glance, though I would like to point out that the towers HP for yellow and orange were 3000 rather than the 25000 you gave to red and blue's towers.

Balance:3

I gave a 3 to Balance due to the culverins... which seemed to have no effective units against it. I propose to the author of this MP scenario to ,maybe, add cavalry regiments as an option...

Creativity:4

This scenario is creative in its way of winning. The players don't win due to destroying another's wonder but instead, the game revolves around Victory Points. Good Job!

Map Design:5

Great Map Design! Honestly, I believe this MP scenario has one of the best maps I've ever downloaded... Thumbs up!

Story Instructions:4

N/A actually...

Conclusion:

This is a fine piece of work though it requires some "debugging"(very minor bug, don't worry). And also maybe some improvements.
Intrepid All reviews should at the least be as long as mine.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.9
Balance4.1
Creativity4.9