Browse Categories
New Files

Download File

Stalingrad

Author File Description
Fotch
File Details
Version: Empires: Retail Release
This is my first scenario, a recreation of the battle of Stalingrad, where you play as the Russians against almost overwhelming odds against the German Panzer Army and the German Sixth Army.

You must utilize your limited resources to gain ground over the technologically superior German army and eventually drive them out of Stalingrad.

*Note: I did use a fair amount of triggers and this is my first scenario so let me know if there are any bugs.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Midgard Eagle First Impressions:

I downloaded this file several days ago and played it two times but I still haven't beat it, so no review yet. However, these are my first impressions of the scenario.

In 'Stalingrad', you start with an army occupying a small Russian town south of the Volga river, with occupied Stalingrad to your north.

You start with a rather large army in the north, at the edge of Stalingrad, a defensive line of infantry and support units north of your town, and few Conscripts which enter your town itself at the beginning of the scenario.

The army in the north, with its heavy siege and anti-air vehicles, makes up the most powerful part of your army, but it's attacked by a powerful German force and will most likely be destroyed, leaving you with the forces that makes up the defensive perimeter on the field north of your town. Furthermore, the only field weapons you'll get in the early game are the few you start with: Your villagers can only build Barracks and Armories, leaving you with armored units or airplanes. While you have a Dock, it only provides you with Transports. You will have the oppurtunity to capture German facilities to increase the punch your Red Army packs, but these are within the city of Stalingrad and will require quite a few sacrifices to reach and take. You will get a bunch of Conscripts regularly, though, with a chat message saying "Reinforcements have arrived", Red Alert-style. They aren't much, but they're certainly welcome, especially with the advancing German force trying to cross the bridge to get into your territory.

The two ways for you to get into Stalingrad are by crossing that same bridge across Volga or by sending Transports from your Dock. The German side of the bridge is guarded, though, and your Transports will be completely defenseless against the German Luftwaffe Fighters.

To win, you have to destroy every German military building and armored unit in the ruined city of Stalingrad. You'll have every Russian infantry unit at your dispoasal, from the Conscript to the Cossack, and you'll need every single one.

The map's flaw, in my opinion, is the map design. While the areas you'll spend most of your time in are above average, there are several areas that are completely blank. Terrain is varied throughout the entire scenario, but there's little eye-candy (grass, rocks, etc.).

All in all, this is a (very) challenging and interesting scenario that's definetly worth your download.

Review to follow.
Midgard Eagle
JORGIAS IS GOOOD I LIKED IT .NICE DETAILED NOT SO GOOD LIKE II WORLD WAR BUT THAT WOULD BE TO ASK FOR TOO MUCH .BUT EXTREMELY DIFICULT FOR ME IS IMPOSIBLE TO WIN.
Midgard Eagle Er.. Jorgias, for the sake of the sanity of everyone at these forums, please don't post in all capital letters.
Midgard Eagle I'm ALMOST through.

I've captured the Gun Factories and broken through the 6th Armee's lines and I'm trying to take their Tank Factory, but I'm getting a bit thinned out and my forward base at the Gun Facotories keeps being harrassed by the Germans! I just saved the game and quit, and the game statistics told me I'd lost 1001 units! A challenging scenario indeed, but one that is rewarding to complete.

Reply to below comment: People were probably too busy getting their butts kicked playing it.

Eagle

[Edited on 01/17/04 @ 05:07 PM]

Fotch
File Author
Thanks for the comments guys, for a long time there, I thought no one was ever going to say anything about my map.
Midgard Eagle
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Okay, here's the review, straight out of the oven and still smoking!

Playability: 4
This is a most entertaining battle. You start with a reasonable amount of units, but the Germans starts with an unreasonable horde of units. You start with a small town, while the Germans start with a whole city. You can train only infantry, while the Germans can train just about any unit. And your base will come under attack almost at once, although there are ways of blocking the bridge off. The battles are simply vast.

I did give this a 'four', however, because there was no dialogue or anything in-game save from Chats each time you captured a factory or reinforcements arrived.

Balance: 4
I've played hard scenarios before, but this one took my breath away. I'm giving it only a rating of 'four' because I felt it was a bit too hard, especially with the repeated raids on your starting village. Your first attempt to beat this scenario is almost guaranteed to fail. True to World War II, you can send a large army across the Volga in six transports and lose. There are general strategies you can employ, though, which will lighten your load a little. You will also find that a certain area, in my opinion, isn't worth taking because of the difficulty and unit loss involved. It does, however, provide a shortcut past the enemy fortification on the other side of the Volga river bridge (although that doesn't have to mean it should be avoided). In other words, you also have to pick your targets carefully, which I liked.

The only units you can train in the beginning are the Soviet infantry units: Conscripts, Commisars, Snipers, and Cossacks. You also have a University with a variety of Classified Projects and the option to build an Armory. You have a Dock, but it can only produce Transports. You get a welcome group of Conscripts every now and then, though. In the early stages of the game, it can greatly help.

Your initial army consists of additional siege and field weapons in addition to infantry, but these should be used with care as they cannot be replaced before you capture factories, and most of them are most likely destroyed in the initial battle in the north. You have no air force, and the Axis occupants have a whole swarm of fighters. All in all, you'll have to fight for every kilometer, which was what I liked the best about this scenario.

Creativity: 4
There was nothing really groundbreaking in this scenario, although there are some nice features like reinforcements and the ability to capture buildings.

Map Design: 3
Should you care about numerical ratings, which I fail to do but still gets around to utilize, the map design is a decent 'three'. Terrain is varied and terrain features are scattered throughout, but there's virtually no eye-candy. Also, certain less-travelled regions were completely blank save from terrain variations.

I would also like some more detail within the city, such as roads, street lamps, and so on. Letting whole city blocks consist of only brick houses on cobblestone makes for a very monotome scenario.

Story/Instructions: 3
The introduction on the download page was the only description you got, and although it gave me a general idea of what the scenario was about, it should do more than that.

I would also like some opening sequence in the game. I'm not asking for a cutscene (not every scenario has to have one), but some instructions and dialogue would be good.

Also, 'German' is spelled with a capital 'G', not a lowercase 'g'.

Additional Comments:
'Stalingrad' is a very challenging scenario that should take you several attempts to complete. I very heartily recommend it.

[Edited on 01/18/04 @ 12:40 PM]

The Crazy Person I found that the trick is to let only some of your units in the north engage in battle, while the rest retreat. Then, you can use the surviving units to capture the gun factory and enevitably take over the bridge. My base was destroyed, but I managed to keep all of 4 villagers alive and relocated to a new area. It was quite the task trying to keep control of the gold mine afterwards, but I managed to keep my barracks and other buildings out of harms way. Suggestion: perhaps you could either give the shipyard more health or allow workers to rebuild it after it is destroyed. I lost it very early on in the game and lost my ship yard and entire shipments of men very early on.
reginas Playability: 2
(Insert Playability analysis h
About this , there is good action ..but the germans are too many and my soldiers not so many so i cannot confront them properly
Balance: 1
(Insert Balance analysis here)
This would be like continuing the last one.I find it quiet unbalanced the germans are too superior to my forces.Imposible to beat them up.

Creativity: 3
(Insert Creativity analysis here)i love second war games so recreating the battle of stalingrado i find it lovely!

Map Design: 3
(Insert Map Design analysis here)
It is very nice detailed.Maybe too small.

Story/Instructions: 2
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)Well there are instructions but i think there should be more tips because i really find it imposible to win.

Additional Comments:
Just to animate the creator to make more games about the second war

[Edited on 01/30/04 @ 09:56 AM]

Midgard Eagle Angel Park, please turn that "review" into a comment.
Midgard Eagle The Crazy Person: Use Tungaska Forest on the bridge. It'll stop the Germans from raiding your base, and unlike Walls, it can't be destroyed.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0