(id: Mechstra)
File Details
Style: Fixed Force
# of Scenarios: 1
Version: Empires: Retail Release
The Volga River, Stalingrad
1100 hours
18th September, 1942

Thousands upon thousands of Russian conscripts and soldiers have assembled on the banks of the Volga, close to the centre of Stalingrad. A massive German push through the city has let them reach right through to the opposite side of the river, and set up high-quality defences along its sloping banks.

Artillery, machine-guns, mortars, bunkers, barbed wire, and crack Wehrmacht troops are lining these slopes, and the task given to these 10,000 men of the 13th Guards Division of the Soviet army is to break these defences. Boats will ferry them across the river, where they will fight and they will die and they will win. At any cost.

Features:

An epic, bloody battle with casualty figures in the thousands.
Desperate uphill fighting in the war-ravaged city of Stalingrad.
Call in artillery support, aid your fellow Russians, and use tactics to get the better of your enemy.
Music from the best-selling World War II game Call of Duty.

By Mechstra, Second-in-Command of Woad Creations. (http://www.woadcreations.nl)
Pages: « First « 1 2 3 4 [5]
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Andrew Dunn
File Author
Thanking you for the review, Lp. :)
EEGamer4ever
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
It was very fun to play this. It took me around 40 (real) minutes to finish it, but I never got bored. And that's very important to me.

Balance: 4
This could've been a 5, if it was only a bit easier. Like others said already, it takes a lot of soldiers to kill one enemy, but it really could be easier.

Creativity: 5
Mechstra was the first (I think) who could create a proper Stalingrad battle. Many other designers have tried it before, but they did not succeed. Nice work here!

Map Design: 5
One word; Great! It was very realistic, with all those burned buildings in the city, and cars on the beach. Nice use of terrain mixing, by the way.

Story/Instructions: 4
The objectives were a bit too simple. Just run up the riverbank all the time and kill Germans, until you've completed this scenario. This point could improved.

Additional Comments:
All together, this is a great campaign. I'm looking forward to your project "Stalemate", Mechstra!
Andrew Dunn
File Author
Many thanks for the review. :) I think I'm running out of thanks!
gamergc well i just played it for the first time today. i beat it on easy with 6:30 left. at the end i deleted some of my cons to get the pop number low enough that another boat comes, if i hadnt i probably would have lost. the arty finally was showing up at the end, especially vs soldats. i thought it was a great scn over all and a campaign would be great :)
ViP3R amazing work! re-inacts the amazement of CoD! Very nice work, map design was good, artillery barrage via radio was good. The whole damn scn was good. :)

Rating: 5
Andrew Dunn
File Author
Thanks ViP3R and gamergc, I appreciate it. I am working on a follow-up to it, but it's quite different in playing style - the theme is similar, though.
The Omniscient Playability: 5
This scenario was awesome. I played it 5 times and it never lost its excitement. So much death... the Nazis got about 3000 kills in this scenario. The sadist in me was very amused by that.

Balance: 5
Some people would say that since it takes about 20 conscripts to kill 1 MG42, the scenario should get a low score. However, since that is realistic, I gave it a 5. After all, if a bunch of poorly trained soldiers rush an Machine gun on a hill, the odds are NOT in the conscript's favor

Creativity: 3
Not very creative. Its been done before. Although I have to say this was better than all the other stalingrad scenarios I've seen.

Astounding. Impeccable. You could feel the destruction.

Story/Instructions: 5
The story was well implemented, and the instructions were clear. I never once had a problem with doing an objective. I even manaaged to find all the radios everyone seems to have trouble with. They're by the North dock, AA gun, and Northeast corner of the map for those of you who cant find them.

This was one of the best scenarios I've ever seen. You ought to add some more scenarios and make a full-sized campaign.

[Edited on 04/17/05 @ 03:23 PM]

Blascapone Playability: 4

Balance: 4

Creativity: 5

Story/Instructions: 5

Additional Comments:
It is a good scenary, it have too much "triggers" and a hard work. It could be funniest, but i have a problem: i never have enough time!!!!!!!!! The german artillery always is killing my soldiers, i dont know what to do!!!!!!!!!!! excuse me, i havent a perfect english.

[Edited on 04/21/05 @ 01:22 AM]

Pages: « First « 1 2 3 4 [5]

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.6
Balance4.2