Ranger Challenges

Author File Description
Park
(id: Angel Park)
File Details
Style: Mix
# of Scenarios: 2
Version: Empires: Retail Release
This originally was suppose to simply be a test to see how far I could use the computer AI. But I revised the entire map to create Ranger Challenges.

Basically, you begin with a barracks, and your 3 super rangers. Your mission is to free the French prisoner south of the base and to destroy the two rocket bases deep inside the enemy's base.

The second scenario is exactly the same as the first in terms of the map. But it is much more challenging, nearly impossible unless you cheat. Who knows maybe you can beat it without cheating?

Happy to say I made a fun easy scenario. Played it over 50 times, but it never got old. I hope you have fun too.

--

Updated the scenario with a small fixes just for the future downloads. New background loading image, fixed the AA upgrade problem, balance tweaks to make it easier, and removed the campaign password for anyone to see how the AI worked. Took me a few days to get it right, unit spawning doesn't actually make up that much of the computer's army.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Solo Fighter Playability: 3
It was OK. I mean the battling and all.

Balance: 1
Very bad. First thing, three Army Rangers can't decimate two entire armies. They'd have to be stronger than the gods themselves.

Creativity: 1
It must've taken you at least ten seconds to think up this one. God this sucks.

Map Design: 2
It wasn't a very good map. I thought that since you mad an entire website, you could at least make a good map.

Story/Instructions: 3
The objectives were OK.
The story was crazy.
And the background at the loading was grody. With scenarios this bad, you shouldn't even be aloud to submit them.

Additional Comments:
It sucked.

[Edited on 01/30/04 @ 10:00 AM]

MoB FrEakO i would like this rating to be retracted
Park
File Author
Solo, I'm sorry you didn't like the scenario, but I get the strong feeling you didn't spend more than 10 minutes on the scenario. I played the first scenario (exact version) repeatly even without the eastereggs and was capable of winning every time.
Solo Fighter Well, I'm so sorry I it got boring after five minutes!
Adder
(id: The Adder)
Don't review it then.
Hank
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 3

An interesting little...campaign. First time I played I was obliterated. I literally laughed out loud because of how swamped I was. I was like, "How am I suppose to win THIS?". So I gave it another try and made sure I used the healing truck to better use. I also noticed it seemed to heal guys faster if they were inside it. I had fun microing the Rangers in and out of the truck and the massive damage they dealt both with their MG and the Artillery. I eventually figured out the enemy wasn't going to stop coming, so I eventually built up a big enough Ranger force to venture out and take it to the enemy. Once that started the difficulty level of the scenario dropped and became fairly manageable (I was also glad to see that I didn't have to deal with defending my base as much once I started fighting the enemy in their own areas). The 2nd scenario in the campaign is basically the same thing, but you don't get extra resources. You just have to really manage your Rangers.

Balance: 4

At first play, it was insanely impossible. Once I figured out what needed to be done, the difficulty level was about right considering the massive amounts of enemy troops thrown at you. Your Rangers can pretty much handle their own, and I never needed to buy any other types of units. The only other unit I really needed was the Saboteur because of the insanely high HP for the Rocket Bases. It would have taken forever to win if not for her. Even so, I lost quite a few Rangers on my way to victory so even the later portion of the scenario didn't seem like a pushover. I can imagine people who can't micro their forces will have a pretty hard time.

Creativity: 4

The objective isn't creative in the least bit. Destroy the two V-2 sites. However, the strategy in which to accomplish this objective IS creative. You start with only a handful of units and get resources when you kill enemy units. These resources can then be used to buy more units or upgrade existing units, or to buy special powers/abilities. At least one of them didn't work though (Upgrading AA attack). It may have worked, but subsequent upgrades did not. It'd deduct the cost but the attack would remain the same.

Map Design: 3

Nothing extraordinary. The terrain looked okay, I didn't really like the way the enemy city base was layed out. The choke points were good, and I liked the abundance of cliffs for my Rangers to evade the enemy or to rain death down from.

Story/Instructions: 3

There was a bit of a story, but pretty two dimensional. The instructions were clear though and I never had problems figuring things out, including the tech menus.

Additional Comments:

I seem to be playing a lot of these map types lately. Action oriented carnage. This was done well though and the tech menus along with the "kill for resources" made this a unique scenario compared to what is out there now, and the different options allow for varying degrees of strategies. I know Park strived for replayability, and there definitely is some, but it's not something I'd probably play again. I think that is because there is still only two real objectives (Rescue the Saboteur, destroy V-2 facilities) so you'd be doing the same thing but just with different units. I also found a few bugs, but they weren't game breakers so I didn't penalize for that. The two or three CPU players I was up against had their original names given to them at the start of creating a scenario (They should have been Third Reich, or something), plus the AA attack bug. Also, in the 2nd scenario my starting truck is stuck in the corner and you have to destroy the flag in order to get it out. Definitely worth playing as it IS beatable(The 1st scenario anyway) so don't give up on it.
Park
File Author
Thanks for the review Hank.

Sad to hear about that AA thing though, I tested that out twice before releasing it. There was some sort of conflict between unit-att and class-att. I must of used an old version or something :(

By chance did you run across any of the easteregg...guess technically it is only one.

And I literally made the second one very hard, even cheating its pretty hard unless you use Mother of Lightening.

Wish I used a bigger map, for some odd reason I chose an insanely small map, ironic since my maps are usually too big. Limited somewhat what I could do.

And I suggest no body leaves your homebase until you gather at least 15 rangers or so.

[Edited on 01/30/04 @ 06:35 PM]

The Crazy Person I liked the very beginning when I was just being hammered by the German and Russian forces, because it was forcing me to appreciate the Ranger's airstrike ability. However, after their assaults were completed, all I needed to do was raise up 30 Rangers by using Mobilization twice, then it was cut and dry destroy everything with little trouble. A suggestion is to perhaps make some of the techs usable only once (like Mobilization) or don't make all subsequent Rangers as powerful as your first 3. All in all I thought it was rather fun, although it needs some definate improvement to allow for some replayability.
Confused Soldier There was an easteregg? Where? What does it do?

Come on! Please tell me!

[Edited on 02/14/04 @ 10:23 PM]

Blascapone It is a shit of scenary, where is the strategy? It is not logical, hudred of enemies attacks you and you have alreadt 3 "super rangers" that can kill all. I havent more to say. A shit.

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0