File Details
Style: Build and Destory
# of Scenarios: 1
Version: Empires: Retail Release
By iNtRePiD
ScnPunk - www.scnpunk.com

Duke Frederick to Nicholas Graf von Salm

September 1, 1529

I am intrusting you with the defense of Vienna, I have been ordered by the most gratuitous sovereign Ferdinand I to oversee the security of this noble city. Your stellar reputation makes you the best candidate for the job. The Turks under Sultan Suleiman II have already slain and pillaged much of the land to the East. It will be your job to defend this city and save Western Christianity from the Turkish hordes. Suleiman II is marching towards the city with over 325 000 men, but with gods grace you will prevail. You will be compensated greatly for your efforts.

Sincerely,

Duke Frederick
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Scenario Design
File Author
Updated
Talon Karrde
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
This was fun to play. Watching the borders of your land, always wondering when a Turkish squad will come out of the fog of war adds to the tension. However, once you realize the enemy doesn't actually attack, you only need to pump out units and attack them, which is still fun. Yet there are still some unique moments, such as when your cavalry attacks the enemy artillery and captures all of it.

Balance: 5
Playing this again on hard, I must say there is an enormous difference. In the first five minutes, the enemy was assaulting my positions with cavalry and cannon from the south and infantry from the north. Even a skilled player will probably have his hands full protecting the rather large perimeter he has to hold to protect his villagers. I must say that hard is definitely hard, but it leaves you with a sense of satisfaction when (if) you manage to beat off the enemy attacks, and a sense of desolation if they slaughter lots of your villagers because of your own incompetence.

Creativity: 4
While I think the author wanted to keep this simple, a few random side-quests type things would be nice, perhaps to save one of the remaining towns from overwhelming enemy attack. Once you get past this, this scenario is very creative. The Turks use a mixture of European and Chinese units to best effect, to give the feel that you are actually fighting against the Turks, not and not the Chinese. The player names help with this as well.

Map Design: 5
The map was absolutely gorgeous. Wherever you looked, there were never less than three terrain types, showing an amazing amount of mixing. There were also miscellaneous objects like bushes, ferns and flowers all over the map, adding to the beauty. The towns were all well done, especially the occupied towns, which must have been ruined in the fighting. An amazing job here.

Story/Instructions: 4
Here is the weakest part of the scenario. The only story provided is in the form of two letters, the beginning letter of the upload and campaign description, and the letter for the scenario briefing. And objective-wise, well, there aren't any. Yes, the objective may be obvious, kill all the Turks, but it would still be nice to have it. Plus, we should know what the losing condition is.

Additional Comments:
- Random Comment: This scenario irrationally reminds me of the Tamerlane - Prince of Destruction campaign

[Edited on 05/20/04 @ 01:47 AM]

Intrepid I have updated the the briefing map.
LittleNick6 when you download it after it is done do you have to unzip the file. and if so how do i get to play it on Empires
KnightErrant I placed this file in the campaigns folder, but when in Empires I attempt to play it, it just exits the program and takes me back to windows. What is wrong here?
Intrepid Do you have the correct patch?
KnightErrant I think I do; the rest of the game works fine, and a regular scenario I downloaded works, just not any custom campaigns.
Intrepid So the problem isn't just this one then?
Andrew Dunn
(id: Mechstra)
Nearly all of the custom campaigns that have been uploaded were made with the Empires patch installed. You'll need to install that in order to make them work. A lot of the scenarios are like this as well.
Big Ulrich I like the chinese citizen in yellow down right ;-)
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0