World War II - North Africa: Halfaya Pass

Author File Description
Intrepid
File Details
Style: Other
# of Scenarios: 2
Version: Empires: Retail Release
[History]

In preparation for operation Battleaxe, the allied forces sent the 11th hussars to storm the west ridge of Halfaya pass. The Germans had been using the ridge as a supply depot and an anchor to support German Artillery fire. This made Halfaya pass a critical point on the road to Toburk. The 11th Hussars stormed the western ridge and were cut down by German artillery fire and forced to retreat in under 11 minutes.

[Introduction]

You now have the chance to take control of this battle from either the German or British perspective in the multiplayer arena, or you can hone your skills against the computer in the single player version of the scenario. In order to create a realistic tactical system the units in this game have been altered. This scenario rewards smart tactical thinking and punishes poorly thought out troop movements. Keep in mind that the normal way you conduct self in a game of Empires will no longer be effective in this scenario.

[Gameplay]

The objective of this scenario is to capture all of the 5 wells that surround pass, thus forcing your opponent to surrender. For this scenario military units have been severely altered in order to make the scenario realistic. Players are able to choose from a selection of reinforcements every 3 minutes.

Reinforcements are as follows

British
Light Infantry – 6 Rifleman – 1 British Universal Carrier
Heavy Infantry – 1 Captain – 1 Gunner Team – 1 Flamethrower – 1 Engineer
Tank – 2 Crusader MK III tanks
Artillery – 2 6 Pound MK II AT Guns – 1 25 Pounder MK III Howitzer

German
Helle Infanterie – 4 Grenadiers – 4 Unterofficers - 1 Gepanzerter Träger
Schwere Infanterie – 2 Mörser – 1 Sergeant – 1 MG 42 Team
Panzer – 1 PzKpfw IV – 1 Tiger I
Artillerie – 1 Artillerie – 2 Fliegerabwehrkanone

In order to successfully defeat your opponent in this scenario you need to make use of both tactics and logistics. Each player receives supplies in the form of oil, ammo and food and medical supplies. Each individual unit has supply levels that can be displayed by clicking on the unit. If a unit that requires oil runs out of oil it will grind to a halt, if a unit runs out of ammo it will no longer be able to fire, if a unit runs out of supplies it will slowly lose hit points. Units can be re supplied through two different methods. If a unit is placed in the general supply zone it will replenish its diminished supplies, if those supplies are available. Units can also be supplied via supply trucks. A unit needs only to be in the range of a supply truck to be re supplied.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Intrepid
File Author
[Updated]

- Instructions screen updated, objectives and logistical information are now readable

- Instruction screen added as extra file

- Gameplay difficulty levels tweaked
Andrew Dunn
(id: Mechstra)
Very nice from what I've played so far. :) The music is nice and stirring, and the play dynamic is interesting. I found it to be generally more realistic, as you aimed - a large squad of riflemen with 2 captains, a flamethrower, and a gunner team were almost entirely wiped out by just 1 MG42, a sergeant, an AT gun and 2 mortars. Only the two captains survived. But by contrast, those two captains went on and destroyed 5 artillery cannons. Hmm. :p

I think the game is fairly well balanced overall, although it can get frustrating when a large, combined-arms force is whittled down in seconds to have no survivors at all. Especially due to the timed nature of reinforcements. Tank battles especially come down to a who-fired-first game of chance, and to my mind it would perhaps have been better to make all tanks able to withstand two hits, except for the Tiger which could kill in 1 and would take 3 before dying. It would add a modicum of tactics to the battles.

However, don't let this discourage other downloaders. I heartily recommend it, and from what I've played so far, I'll be heading back for more very soon!
Intrepid
File Author
Would anyone find it helpful if I a compiled a strategy guide?

[Edited on 09/19/04 @ 06:49 PM]

ViP3R A strategy guide woudn't be essential but it would be nice... :)

Great work by the way (from what I've played). I may review it soon... :)
Intrepid
File Author
[Updated]

- Tiger I bug fixed
- AI tweaked
- Increased amount of supplies received per truck, decreased oil and ammo per truck
- Supply trucks can now supply themselves
- Added Strategy Guide
- Auto adjusting difficulty level changed
deathmf Great game though the oil, ammo, and food confused me at the beginning. After I understood it the game was pretty good, aside from my guys got ripped apart pretty fast by MG42s and AT guns.
Midgard Eagle A very advanced scenario. This must have taken you a long time to make.
Intrepid
File Author
The scenario did not take very much time to make at all. The system of Oil, Ammo, and Supplies was actually fairly easy to implement.
The Omniscient It's like Stalingrad but with better music and graphics. You seem to like the whole "Capture the objectives before them" concept. And I still can't figure out how you did that Katyusha trick in EE.
Intrepid
File Author
Halfaya Pass is far more advanced then Stalingrad. Your opponent has more then one strategy that they can attempt to employ, the unit balance is better and to top it all off I added a multiplayer version of the scenario.

The Katayushka trick is actually fairly simple. When the truck is created, a series of rocket launcher units from another team is created and constantly tasked towards the truck. This team is enemies with the Germans, but the Germans are not enemies with them. This means that the Rocket launcher units can attack the Germans, but they cannot attack the rocket launcher units. The rocket launcher units are then altered so that they have extended range, fire power, and reduced reload times. The result: whenever the rocket launcher units come in the range of German units, they begin to fire rapid fire bursts of rocket fire that look like the rockets are coming off the back of the truck.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0