Download File

D-Day v2.11

Author File Description
Scorcher
File Details
Style: Fixed Force
# of Scenarios: 1
Version: Empires: Retail Release
Storm the German beaches as the United States or the Soviet Union. This is a very customizable Scenario. Players are able to choose a Difficulty Level(Easy, Normal, Hard), Game Speed(Slow, Normal, Fast), and Enhanced Graphics optons. Each nation has different and enhanced game play features and there own objectives to be completed. An important objective in this scenario is to capture curtain points which once done you'll be able to recieve additional reinforcements.
United States recieved units quickly by air transport and recieve more when you capure an area.
Soviet Union can field a large army and recieve new recruitments often.
Heres one example of the enhanced gameplay for the Soviet union. Any ground unit within range of a commissar receive a speed bonus but any unit outside range receives a penalty. This make it a strategic units for the soviet union.
This is a very well done scenario and much more then one would expect. Check it out!
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Talon Karrde Playability: 3.6
This is a relatively fun scenario. You get to hit and penetrate beyond the beaches of Festung Europa once more. While it is, admittedly, a relatively generic and very overdone scenario, the author attempts to spice it up with features that you wouldn't find in one of the run of the mill a-dime-a-dozen D-Day scenarios, and a map design that is significantly better than the truly generic D-Day scenarios. Overall, except for a few bugs (and poor documentation, mentioned later), it was quite fun.

Balance: 3.5
The balance was pretty good. However, there were one or two things that were a bit iffy. For one, the Germans didn't have any sort of naval presence by the time any amphibious landings against the Axis were carried out, so I for one didn't expect remnants of the German navy to destroy half of my initial transports and all of my ships as I was focusing on the fighting on land. However, one nice touch was how the German forces always gravitated to the fighting, it allowed for clever out-flanking through a weak, structure-only defensive line if you were quick enough and hit with enough force (even while your distraction force was being torn to absolute pieces by overwhelming German superiority). Overall, the balace was good, but (despite the occasional possibility of some good tactics) the reinforcements weren't quite strong enough and didn't come quite quickly enough to make it anything other than a series of battles of attrition that you were guarenteed to lose in the end as the Germans rushed everything they had at you.

Creativity: 3.7
You could almost sigh, another generic D-Day scenario. Well, happily, not quite. Sure, its some D-Day (but there were many throughout the war), but this is amphibious landing with something of a twist. You can choose from two seperate nationalities and three seperate armed forces with which to assault the beaches: the Americans, the (presumably American) Special Forces and the Soviets. Another nice twist is that each of these is actually relatively unique, beyond even the default uniqueness of the civilizations. The Americans, for instance, sometimes get quick reinforcements via paradrop, and (as mentioned in the author's description), the Soviet commissar gives a speed bonus to units near him. There is also a time limit to the scenario, something not found in most D-Day scenarios. The battle reports are also a nice touch.

Map Design: 3.3
The map design is easily one of the best of I've seen that isn't from an oldie designer. The terrain mixing is quite adequate wherever its present, but there are still areas that are little more than large expanses of one terrain type, which hurts this score. I found the presence of both palm and deciduous trees slightly perplexing, but at least the author has the sense to place them at virtually opposite ends of the map. There is also a lack of object eye-candy, which also hurts this score. Overall, it is an admirable and well done attempt at terrain.

Story/Instructions: 2.8
There is no story to speak of, other than its some sort of amphibious landing against Nazi Germany (presumably D-Day, except that there are palm trees and Russians involved). The instructions, however, were rather confusing. The dialogue box kept popping up at random times during the game--apparently you can't play the Special Forces unless you unlock them first? And that you can't actually change game speed, graphic settings and difficulty unless they're similarly unlocked? And what was with the graphic setting getting randomly changed in the middle of the game because I didn't input some sort of key? What key? Better documentation throughout this entire process is needed (the lack of this also hurt playability, balance and creativity somewhat as documentation would have led to a better understanding of what was actually going on).

Additional Comments:
- A very good start to scenario designing, just need to pay attention to the mistakes and such I mentioned and work on those and you'll do quite well. Your heart is obviously in the right place, you just need a little more improvement with the more technical and practical side of it.
- If you improve the scenario, I'll be glad to re-review it, this definitely has the potential to be the first (!) scenario to gain the 'best of' category.
Talon Karrde oh btw, since this one is up, may I delete the previous version of this scenario (directly below this one)? its a bit redundant now, that's all...
Scorcher
File Author
Sure, you may delete the previous version. Thank you for reviewing my scenario.
Scorcher
File Author
New Improved D-Day v2.03 Released. Enjoy
Scorcher
File Author
Any suggestions or comments?
Whats your favorite nation to play and why?
Talon Karrde Playability: 3.7 (+.1)
Original: This is a relatively fun scenario. You get to hit and penetrate beyond the beaches of Festung Europa once more. While it is, admittedly, a relatively generic and very overdone scenario, the author attempts to spice it up with features that you wouldn't find in one of the run of the mill a-dime-a-dozen D-Day scenarios, and a map design that is significantly better than the truly generic D-Day scenarios. Overall, except for a few bugs (and poor documentation, mentioned later), it was quite fun.
Revised: The overall improvements to this scenario are somewhat nice, even if not really that significant.

Balance: 3.5
Original: The balance was pretty good. However, there were one or two things that were a bit iffy. For one, the Germans didn't have any sort of naval presence by the time any amphibious landings against the Axis were carried out, so I for one didn't expect remnants of the German navy to destroy half of my initial transports and all of my ships as I was focusing on the fighting on land. However, one nice touch was how the German forces always gravitated to the fighting, it allowed for clever out-flanking through a weak, structure-only defensive line if you were quick enough and hit with enough force (even while your distraction force was being torn to absolute pieces by overwhelming German superiority). Overall, the balace was good, but (despite the occasional possibility of some good tactics) the reinforcements weren't quite strong enough and didn't come quite quickly enough to make it anything other than a series of battles of attrition that you were guarenteed to lose in the end as the Germans rushed everything they had at you.
Revised: I did not notice any difference in the balance between the old version and this one. Reinforcements were still somewhat lacking, while masses of Germans kept gravitating to your units, leading to defeat due to their superiority. No change in score.

Creativity: 3.8 (+.1)
Original: You could almost sigh, another generic D-Day scenario. Well, happily, not quite. Sure, its some D-Day (but there were many throughout the war), but this is amphibious landing with something of a twist. You can choose from two seperate nationalities and three seperate armed forces with which to assault the beaches: the Americans, the (presumably American) Special Forces and the Soviets. Another nice twist is that each of these is actually relatively unique, beyond even the default uniqueness of the civilizations. The Americans, for instance, sometimes get quick reinforcements via paradrop, and (as mentioned in the author's description), the Soviet commissar gives a speed bonus to units near him. There is also a time limit to the scenario, something not found in most D-Day scenarios. The battle reports are also a nice touch.
Revised:
Revised: The battle reports actually have a function now, as they now tell you how far away you are from completing one objective. Other than this, however, nothing much has changed that I noticed.

Map Design: 3.3
Original: The map design is easily one of the best of I've seen that isn't from an oldie designer. The terrain mixing is quite adequate wherever its present, but there are still areas that are little more than large expanses of one terrain type, which hurts this score. I found the presence of both palm and deciduous trees slightly perplexing, but at least the author has the sense to place them at virtually opposite ends of the map. There is also a lack of object eye-candy, which also hurts this score. Overall, it is an admirable and well done attempt at terrain.
Revised: I didn't see any improvement on map design from the original version (though that big expanse of empty grass was dead tree'd off, which doesn't actually help since we see the entire map anyway). Thus, the score doesn't change from the original.

Story/Instructions: 3.0 (+.2)
Original: There is no story to speak of, other than its some sort of amphibious landing against Nazi Germany (presumably D-Day, except that there are palm trees and Russians involved). The instructions, however, were rather confusing. The dialogue box kept popping up at random times during the game--apparently you can't play the Special Forces unless you unlock them first? And that you can't actually change game speed, graphic settings and difficulty unless they're similarly unlocked? And what was with the graphic setting getting randomly changed in the middle of the game because I didn't input some sort of key? What key? Better documentation throughout this entire process is needed (the lack of this also hurt playability, balance and creativity somewhat as documentation would have led to a better understanding of what was actually going on).
Revised: Unless I'm completely misremebering, there is a bit more in the way of documentation and fleshing out the objectives. At least there wasn't the confusion that reigned when I was playing the previous version. Unfortunately, however, there is still a ways to go. Having arbitrarily lost with just under 8 minutes to go on the timer, I figure that there's a defeat condition of losing 300 units that we aren't told about. This is rather major, and with a still admittedly rather weak documentation on everything (for instance, what's the actual difference between easy and normal, or reduced and enhanced graphics?), this is still weak.

Additional Comments:
- It doesn't appear that much effort was placed into improving the scenario too much (though it seems that the bugs are gone, which is a good thing). However, a lack of effort devoted to improvement corresponds with a similar lack of significant rise in the score of the scenario.

[Edited on 09/15/06 @ 03:14 AM]

Scorcher
File Author
"Having arbitrarily lost with just under 8 minutes to go on the timer, I figure that there's a defeat condition of losing 300 units that we aren't told about."
That isn't the case. Defeat is triggered when your unit count on the beach drops below a certain level after a set time.
mooman2000 did the soviets invade it?>
Scorcher
File Author
New D-Day v2.04 will be released soon.

[Edited on 06/26/06 @ 03:52 AM]

Rundstedt May i ask why you decided to use the Soviets? Why couldn't you have just used the British?
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.6
Creativity4.4