You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War Modifications
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: Authentic and Historical fife and drum and bagpipe music !!
posted 05-26-09 10:32 PM EDT (US)   
Hi I would like to introduce myself to this forum

I have submitted 2 of my mods and hopefully you will be able to enjoy these different and Authentic (for the period)
as other Empire Total war fans have over at another forum.

In most of my mods I try to offer a little of the history of the tunes or the instrument played!

IF YOU USE ANY OF THESE MODS IN YOUR OWN PROJECT (MOD)
YOU MAY USE THESE TUNES AS LONG AS PROPER CREDIT IS GIVEN
TO THE CREATOR'S,THANKS!

Gnr Graham's, Authentic & Historical, Battle Marches

Gnr Graham's, Authentic & Historical, Marches (,Fife & Drum)

NEW IN v1.6

v1.6 TUNES OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION!!!!

1, YANKEE DOODLE

(18th Century version of the song. A little different than the modern one)

2. THE 15th MASSACHUSETTS

The 15th Massachusetts Regiment was raised on September 16, 1776 under Colonel Bigelow at Boston, Massachusetts. The regiment would see action at the Battle of Saratoga, Battle of Monmouth and the Battle of Rhode Island. The regiment was disbanded on January 1, 1781 at West Point, New York.

3.THE GIRL I LEFT BEHIND ME

The Girl I Left Behind Very popular song during the American Revolution as well as the Civil War

4. BRANDYWINE

On 9th September 1777 Washington’s army took positions behind the Brandywine Creek at Chad’s Ford (now Chadds Ford). The creek flowed through undulating countryside with steep cliffs in places and heavily wooded hills. Below Chad’s Ford the flow became narrower and faster so as to be unfordable. A number of fords marked the creek up to the point where it divided into east and west branches.
Washington expected Howe’s army to march from Kennett Square in the West up to Chad’s Ford and carry out a frontal assault.

Installation, make backups of any other music mod and save in a safe place,

place this mod in your data folder!

This is an example of the work I have been doing!

I have also mad battle march tunes fot the following.

Fife and drums

German, Prussian, Whestphalia, Hessian, British, Swedish, and many more

Bagpipes include

The Gordon Highlanders, Scots Guards, Black Watch, and even

Swedish bagpipe music!!

SCOTTISH BAGPIPES

A brief History

Well there are many theories about the origin of the bagpipe. each country has its own claim to a Type of bagpipe, i.e. Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Israel, etc etc.

The first bagpipers in Scotland were said to have come from Italy, from a place called Cremona. Chief of Clan MacLeod was out in the Holy Lands in the 1600's when he captured a Bagpiper in the enemy forces. He liked the sound of the Pipes he was playing (they would sound a lot flatter in tone, and would be made out of local Wood) He took him back to the Clan lands of Dunveagan in the Isle of Skye and got him too teach the Highlanders how to play the pipes. Many folk and some of them experts reckon this is rubbish !!! That there has always been Bagpipes in Scotland of one type or another.

The old type of bagpipe music is called Piobaireachd (pronounced Peebrock) and is based on the Human voice , or the bagpipe trying to re create the human voice or singing ( called Cantaireachd..pronounced Can ter a ght). There is evidence that a family called MacCrimmon had a Piping School in Borreraig in the Isle of Skye as far back as the late 1500's. Clans sent their Pipers to this school to be taught by the Masters of piping. However, later the MacKays, MacGregors, Camerons & MacArthurs also had piping schools run by their own people who had been taught at Borreaig.

Clans had different rallying tunes, played by their clan pipers in battle (much like a bugle or flag) . After the English banned the Bagpipes after 1745 (Proscription)
Highland Regiments were raised to fight in various Wars. These Regiments took the bagpipe to war with them. (so, Proscription didn't fully work, and Clan Chiefs although educated at English schools, kept their Scottish identity) The British Army, standardised the Bagpipe for use in Battle, right up too World War 2.

There was a Captain Donald MacCrimmon of the Skye Piping school who fought
with the Loyal Scots in the American War of Independence. He was decorated for bravery, and on his return in old age too Scotland was asked to resume a Piping School. He declined because the wages were not enough.

They reckon that the Roman Legions had Pipers that they marched too as they conquered Europe and most of the world. They also reckon that Nero did not play the fiddle as Rome burned, but played the pipes instead.

Scotland, adapted the pipes throughout the ages, with little mention of any Irish input, although, the Irish had their own , very good bellows blown type of bagpipe.

The Bagpipes are Scottish, through and through, because Scotland adapted their type of Bagpipe into

what it is now.

Go back to the Revolutionary War and the French & Indian war, and you'll find Highland (British) regiments complete with pipers. Several regiments were stationed here in the States (before they were the states)... including the 72nd Seaforth, and the 74th as well, if I recall correctly. the 72nd had men stationed in Canada during the American Civil War as well... though none ever "invaded" southward.

It's important to remember that quite a lot of the Scots immigrants to the US just after 1745 were political prisoners, refugees, etc... and the Proscription Act covered them: owning or making tartan, wearing kilts, playing bagpipes, and several other culturally related activities were punishable--quite severely punishable.

NEW IN v.3 Gnr Graham's, Authentic & Historical Bagpipe Marches

I made this mod in answer to various requests, performed by the Gordon Highlanders,

Note that this mod is not faction specific, and should only be used if you enjoy bagpipe music!

Please give feedback on this mod

THE GORDON HIGHLANDERS

4 separate full tunes

Improved sound quality

1, REGIMENTAL MARCH\Cock O'the North

2, ROUTE MARCH

3, REGIMENTAL COMPANY MARCH

4, WHEN THE BATTLE IS OVER

Hope you Enjoy them !

IF YOU USE ANY OF THESE MODS IN YOUR OWN PROJECT (MOD)
YOU MAY USE THESE TUNES AS LONG AS PROPER CREDIT IS GIVEN
TO THE CREATOR'S,THANKS!

Gnr Graham's, Authentic & Historical, Battle Marches

[This message has been edited by GNR GRAHAM (edited 06-03-2009 @ 10:10 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-27-09 07:33 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
Looks great, just one question, where do you download it. Thanks.

And could you Scottland the Brave in to the bagpipe section, i can already imagen The Black watch marching to it.

"England Expects Every Man To Do His Duty"- Admeral Lord Nelson
posted 05-27-09 09:11 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
Hi, Just waiting for my mod to be reviewed on this forum but I can leave you the links to my work over at TWCentre,

There I am known as Lah De Dah Gnr Graham

There are two versions with Scotland the Brave, Black Watch, and Scots Guards if I remember correctly!

But please leave your comments on this forum if you like them!

[This message has been edited by GNR GRAHAM (edited 05-30-2009 @ 10:57 AM).]

posted 05-27-09 10:05 AM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
You are amazing!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

The mod makes everything so much more involving. Just watching a proud regiment of Highlanders marching slowly towards a artillary position, grapeshot ripping men appart yet they still march. Scottland the Brave blasting out and the Union Jack Blowing in the wind. Epic just Epic.

If i have one problem its the sound quality, but that is me just being picky.

Thanks Again

I have found somthing I hope you can sort out, when ever a unit is playing a song and a man is shot the music goes back to the vinilla drum beat. You might not be able to change that but I thought you should know

[This message has been edited by ARCHIEIKE (edited 05-27-2009 @ 10:22 AM).]

posted 05-27-09 10:17 AM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
Hi GNR GRAHAM
Thanks for dropping in. I've approved the files you submitted to the downloads (+moved them into modpacks) and hopefully, you'll get loads of downloads!

Best to add the links to the OP so everybody will see them easily!

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 05-27-09 10:38 AM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
Hi ARCHEIKE, thanks I am glad you like the music Which one did you actually use? as over at the other forum some of my mods were my first attempts, the ones I submit here are better quality audio, but The one over at the TWcenter play very well too ,what I am trying to do is offer Authentic Battle sounds!!
The following is from a guy who uses all of my mods and he was commenting on Authentic battle sounds! And I couldnt agree more! hope this helps

People cry out for authenticity in this game but wouldn't realize what authentic music is from the way it is displayed on movies. Try to imagine, if you can, standing in a 18th Century Battle line, 1000's of men on your side, your dearest closest friends formed in line next to you. You are given the order to advance to the enemy's line who are waiting to receive you with a thunderous volley of musket and canon fire. Fear would run through your body, fear would keep your mouth dry, fear would have you questioning your very existence. All you can hear is the beat from the drummer beckoning you onwards to immanent death, or fleeting glory. The fifes playing a shrill melody to keep your moral as high as possible as it plays the tunes you know and love, the tunes that fill your whole body with pride. Now imagine the Drummers and fifes at the front of the line leading the lines forward. young boys, brave boys, leading men to their deaths. You think they would play like they where sitting in a sound recording studio, no I don't think so.

At the end of the day it is all about personal preference, weather you prefer the real authentic sounds of a true fife and drum sound with the characteristic earthly sounds of genuine instruments of that period. or you prefer the HOLLYWOOD version, then it is your choice. but to say that sounds taken from real instruments of that period are not "good enough" is wrong and shows a lack of respect for that time period.

ARCHIEIKE

You are most welcome!

[This message has been edited by GNR GRAHAM (edited 05-27-2009 @ 06:09 PM).]

posted 05-27-09 12:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
Authentic all the way!!

In the town i live in we have a very 'intresting' Bonfire night cellebraition and the marching bands are one the best bits (the second being the fact that you are allowed to drop packets of gunpowder on the streets , the flaming torches everyone carries and the firecrackers!)

About the sound quality, turned out to be a sound driver that was badly out of date!

Thanks Again!

posted 05-28-09 10:40 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
Its a shame I can't convert these into mp3 format for my player...in game they sound kind of thin, sound quality is less robust but that makes them sound like ghost pipes...and when you think of it that way, it seems AWESOME.

Thx man, if anyone has a tip on how to extract the sound files in mp3 format, then lemme know.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 05-28-09 01:55 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
As_Saffah Hi there the sounds can be converted to mp3, they were converted from mp3 to wav then packed in the game, the tool used is called a packfile manager but I suggest you read a tutorial first on how to use it over at the tw center I believe pack manager can be downloaded from this site though!

I think under utilities!

good luck

Thanks Hussarknight!!!

[This message has been edited by GNR GRAHAM (edited 05-29-2009 @ 01:15 PM).]

posted 05-29-09 09:35 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
The packfilemanager which can be used to view and extract pack files can be downloaded here

Hussarknight
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War Modifications » Authentic and Historical fife and drum and bagpipe music !!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: