You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: Battle Replays: That's Not What Happened!
posted 04-04-09 09:23 PM EDT (US)   
Okay because I've recently decided to get a crack at making some kind of after action report for the forums, I've begun recording battles and taking screenshots ingame.

Just started an h/h Austrian Campaign, and in a recent encounter in which Venice sallied against my siege, I fought a pretty good defensive battle where I just barely won, which let me invade their capital. Immensely pleased by this achievement, I clicked the "record battle" option in the battle results screen.

That was a day or so ago. Today I thought I'd look at the replay. At the turning point of the battle, in which one of the Venetian units is *supposed* to rout, triggering a chain reaction of routs all over the Venetian line, one of MY hard-pressed units routs instead, and causes the rout of my other units. Eventually MY entire army routs, and I get a defeat screen. So much for using the replays to provide good screen caps for blow-by-blow reporting.

What the heck is going on?

Veni, Vidi, Pwni.

Read my after action reports for my Austrian campaign: Broken Alliance

[This message has been edited by wyzr (edited 04-04-2009 @ 09:24 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-04-09 09:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
Have you recently consumed any LSD?

"Cowards die many times before their deaths: The valiant never taste of death but once."
[1599 Shakespeare Julius Caesar ii. ii. 32]

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily"
[Napoleon Bonaparte]

[This message has been edited by xXDerToteRabeXx (edited 04-04-2009 @ 09:36 PM).]

posted 04-04-09 10:49 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
No, but I'm beginning to suspect my computer has.

Veni, Vidi, Pwni.

posted 04-05-09 01:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
I think it's because the game only records actions, not actual events. For this reason you can get results which didn't happen. Hope you get what I mean.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
posted 04-05-09 04:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
I think this is what happens too. A huge video file or whatever would be to large and unwieldy, so the save replay just saves where you moved, when you fired, etc. The computer still simulates how many die after a volley, etc. So this time, you might have gotten unlucky. I wonder how the people on youtube get it right everytime...
posted 04-05-09 06:16 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
Hi wyzr
The guys above have it right. Replays only save decisions made during the battle. The actual outcomes can vary. For instance, a general could get killed by a lucky cannon shot in the original battle but not in the replay. What will be the same is the actual orders given to the units.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 04-06-09 03:57 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Yeah, that makes sense. You know what, now that you mention it, I think in my game a lucky cannon shot killed the Venetian general early in the battle (was aiming for their line inf, a lucky bounce brought it right into the ranks of his bodyguards), in the game that I actually played. That might have been a significant factor in my unlikely win.

Still. Not a very efficient way to make reliable replays, though, what with so many random factors that can drastically alter the battle outcome.

I've tried replaying the battle over and over, in hopes that the outcome will eventually simulate in my favor, but it hasn't, in all six replays I've viewed so far. So I must've been extremely lucky in that fight (irregulars, some linemen and militia and 1 cav vs a whole mob of firelock citizenry, linemen, and four cavalry units)

It kind of threw me off the whole AAR thing, so I think I'll just play this one through (it's a short campaign anyway) and make a new game- most people are playing Austria and Prussia, for some reason, so maybe next campaign I'll try out an AAR of something more exotic, like the Ottoman Turks or the Marathas. Or anyone else suggest what AAR campign they'd like to see?

Thanks for the feedback.

Veni, Vidi, Pwni.

[This message has been edited by wyzr (edited 04-06-2009 @ 04:00 AM).]

posted 04-06-09 08:22 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
I thought there should be an option to sync the records? I had this problem in RTW, but got it fixed later as well as in M2TW. It's definitely rectifiable in ETW. Can't tell much as I don't have the game, though.
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Battle Replays: That's Not What Happened!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: