Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: Men of the White Tree a Gondorian Defensive AAR
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 04-23-11 05:15 PM EDT (US)   

OK so I have been playing quite a bit of the Medieval 2 total war kingdoms mod Third age total war and I have been thinking of doing an AAR or playing a defensive campaign for Gondor so here it is

Ok so I will be playing a defensive campaign as Gondor.
Rules are:

Medium battle difficulty
Hard Campaign difficulty

You guys have probably sceen alot of defensive AARs so i will change it up a bit

I may extend west as far as Cair Andros and Osgiliath(these are LOTR historical Gondorian territories) and Annulond.

I may raid the Hardian coast line (conquer one of their coat setties, sack it then destroy everything and pull my army back) to sequer additional wealth if I am in great need.
Oh and every twenty turns I will reveal the map

so yea thats about it

[This message has been edited by Bretty_BoIEEEYYY (edited 04-24-2011 @ 07:52 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-24-11 02:01 AM EDT (US)     1 / 65  
I'm not sure how you would go about posting thumbnails, but I would be very interested to hear an AAR on this mod as I have never played it.

"The only one here who could possibly help us is Edorix. Unfortunately, he is busy off killing Romans right now."- GundamMerc (an imagined quote)
posted 04-24-11 06:18 AM EDT (US)     2 / 65  
Pics over about 80kb turn to links. Size your pics to under 80kb and they will display normally.

As to thumbnails, open an AAR that has them, then hit the edit function. You will not be able to change anyhting, but you can see the code they used to generate the thumbs and adapt that to your own pics.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 04-24-2011 @ 12:46 PM).]

posted 04-24-11 09:00 AM EDT (US)     3 / 65  
Ok thanks Terikel

oh and Gundam I belive there was an AAR a while ago called servents of the white hand or somthing like that. It followed Isenguard I think.(here Gundam
http://etw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=28,8343,150,30000 I would have done Isenguard but I thought everyone had already seen it so...)
Got it Pictures work

Ok so here seeing as noone has replied I have to edit

So starting up the campaign I get this awsome picture in the loading screens

and now I start off with this message from the Council

Hmm Interesting but doesent apply to me Seeing as im going to be playing defensivly and doing my best not to cheat.

Another message from the council???? I wont gain access to my elite units for another bunch of turns? All these middle earth nations are the same!

Alright so as you can see from the above image I have sent Boromir West. Im going to garther up a large army from all the towns on the way and conquer Annulond with him.

Meanwhile Faramir Has besiged Osgiliath In an attempt to rid the rebels from traditional Gondorian Territory.

Get a few canditaes for adoption but decide against them. I have enough Generals.

Look at that 3rd turn and im already the most advanced.

Faramir gets married somehow while he besiges Osgiliath.

Faramir deems it high time to assult Osgiliath seeing as Mordor will be knocking on the door of Cair Andros and eastern Osgiliath pretty soon.

The men storm the walls

The Plan was to surrond the gatehouse but allas things dont always turn out right

The men take a beating

and with no way to reinforce one unit because of a wall of men

they break and flee

But alas I run into a real technical problem
The prt scrn button which i use to capture screen shots was not pressed hard enough i guess or my pictures are moving into some unkown folder and thus have not appeared in my specified Folder.

The battle was a victory for Gondor losing 577 of their almost 900 men while the rebels lost every single one of their soldiers.

Through victory Faramir learned a new skill

and the senate gave us a mission to capture Unfortunatly that is outside of my defensive boarders so must be left alone .

Thats all I have for now only a short update really as I am still learning to upload pictures and such. If you guys have any tips or anything to help me out please give them

Please check it out With your support(and comments)i will show the orks who da boss and teach sauron a thing or two along the way ^_^men of the white tree a gondorian defensive AAR

[This message has been edited by Bretty_BoIEEEYYY (edited 04-26-2011 @ 08:40 PM).]

posted 04-28-11 12:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 65  
How did I miss this when it went up? :O

Very cool. I would have preferred Rohan, but... there you go. Good start!

posted 04-28-11 05:29 PM EDT (US)     5 / 65  
Lol thats Edorix. When choosing I was thinking of ethier an Isenguard, Rohan or Gondor one but had to decide against Rohan because they are almost all cavalry and cavalry is ridiculusly over powered in this game Truly steam rollers. I am also playing an isenguard campgaign right now and have just finished destroying Rohan(they declared war on me in the first turn :O) so I figured Gondor defensive would be fun.

Without further ado here is my update

So now That I have taken West Osgiliath All i need to take on this front is Cair Andros and my Western flank will be shored up unless of course flanked to the North by way of the falls of Rauos(sp)

I also get a candidate for adoption and seeing As Farimir Will be moving North wards soon he seems Ideal to hold onto Osgiliath.

But what is this???????????:O

Boromir Continues his march to Annulond, Picking up with him some of the local garrisons.

Oh gawd some good new.

Hmmmm good news travels fast it seems as Harad seems intent on spoiling my day
As long as those ships don't contain an invasion force im happy

Oh and Bromirs army has finished gathering which is some more good news.

Alright its official Mordor has ruined it for me They sprug up on East Osgiliath Faster then i thought they would and im still scrounging up armies for my defense.

This has been quite a bad flip of the turns

Just to point out Minas Tirith is greatly defened because as you see along all roads there is a fort which I can garrison when Cair Andros and Osgiliath fall.

Though Rohans terms for map info are steep it will be worth it

So yes you can see That I now can see the great defenses of the Hornburg, The Capital of Edoras, The falls of raous(sp again) and the Orthanc of Isenguard(the Orthanc is the tower) Rohan also declared war on Isenguard which will spell their doom

Flip of the turn...Hopeful...hopeful...hopeful :O

Eridor has also spelt their doom...trust me I tried a campaign as them and was crushed by the orcs of the misty mountains. The good news though is that Eridor is lead by Aragon meaning that he will perish and not attepmt to seize the throne from the line of stewards The also have gandolf the grey...

The witch king ...Mordor is getting serious.

This is my only chance camping on this bridge. I will hopefully be able to hold their hordes off with my tower guard and beat the crap outa everything else with my militia in the confines of the bridge. Desperation time.

Yep see this is what i mean desperation time *sigh*

The Mordor vanguard reaches my line of spears and the battle commences.

This picture isnt the best but ive highlighted my men and the orcs are taking pages out of the russian steam rollers book.

The orc line never seems to end I feel like ive over used and im going to need a new emot

The remaindor of the fountain guard fights valiantly but has been surronded and is being destroyed.

The militia are being forced backwards but all is not lost Steward Denthor is here with his legions of heavy cavalry.

The retreat is orderd for everyone except the most bloodied units of militia,the archers and...The Steward

The orcs are just about through the last 100 men holding the line but they are not ready for the heavy cavalry.

What remains of the militia flee and are pursued by orcs The steward to the rescue

The remaining of this unit of orcs faces off against the ultimate destructive force that is cavalry in this game. They were wipied out to a man just on the charge.

The orc army is still vast and the cavalry tire quickly

Alas the remaining infantry has withdrawn and the retreat is sounded. Denthor is a hero and leads the men back to Osgiliath.

The ransom is paid and the troops begin to prepare Osgiliath.

Please check it out With your support(and comments)i will show the orks who da boss and teach sauron a thing or two along the way ^_^men of the white tree a gondorian defensive AAR
posted 04-29-11 02:34 AM EDT (US)     6 / 65  
Keep it goin, I've always wanted to check out lotr total war.
posted 04-29-11 11:26 AM EDT (US)     7 / 65  
I downloaded Third age a few weeks ago and had quite a bit of fun, but I killed the guy with the ring and nothing happened, I thought I'd get the ring or something. So I got annoyed with it and went back to Shogun 2.

I haven't played with gondor, only the Silvan Elves.
posted 04-29-11 07:01 PM EDT (US)     8 / 65  
Marakulous you my friend are missing alot lol its quite fun once you get into it

Liam_the_Spartan lol when i just got it I tried out Gondor and Isenguard but quickly became bored and lost interest in the game. Now though i have re watched the movies and am just loving this game. Right now playing as isenguard i have crushed eastern Gondor and destroyed Rohan. I guess you just have to choose the right nations because ive tried Mordor and Eridor(why does everything end in or Gondor, Mordor, Eridor)also and just hated it Eridor because they only have like 3 units to look forward to and Mordor because they have no strategy involved just charge.

Ok so the timeline of this update will probably be a bit scatterd and such but it wont really matter as only one or two important things actully happen on the campaign map.

Lets start off with the bad news

Yep you are seeing correctly an army of Harad in Gondorian lands. Im gona have to teach those insignificant southerners a lesson in warfare.

Oh look a nice big Mordor army right on my doorstep about to attack a severly weakend Ogiliath.

Ok so back to where i left off with my last update The inhabitants of Annulond have just sallied against the greatest army Gondor has to offer.

Here is the infantry charge. They are heading right towards my archers who let off a few point blank vollies into their midest.

The Gondorian counter charge

And the mass infantry route

42 men of Gondor died in the taking of Annulond. Finally some good news.

So here we are My fleet also sights another large Harad force gathering.

The garrison of Pelagir begins the race to Linhir in an attempt to defeat the Haradians

a bride is presented blah blah blah. It will be no royal wedding but I accept none the less.

If only the men of Peligir had made it in time .

Some more bad news The Bealeugerd Garrison of Osgiliath has been besiged.

Boromir had been alterted of the situation back east and headed there as quickly as he could.

Alas though as you can see The Peligir garrison did not arrive in time.

The Haradians begin their assult.

*sigh* this wont end well I know it.

The first unit of Militia are pushed backwards slowly giving as good as they get.

The cammanding officer continues a cycle oh charge withdraw charge against the men of Harad.

It is a massacure

The remaining men of Gondor fight bravely in the town hall.

Alas though Durven is struck down fighting tooth and nail with the men of Harad.

The Massacure is complete.

How can this get any worse?

I belive this piture fits in correctly here.

The vast army of Mordor approches

The Orcs sustain heavy casulties in their assult on the walls.

The ladders reach the walls and heavy fighting follows.

As well as the orcs on the tower engage the Gondorian militia.

It appears as if the Orc steam roller is about to do as it does and push the men of gondor back and break their spirit

Fighting continues on the wall as the Orc raiders are slowly pushed back into their machines

Hurra A mighty Orc has fallen this day . Good news just keeps pouring in.

Denthor then turns the cavalry loose on the fleeing Uruks and Orcs.

A Heroic victory . Has the tide turned on the eastern front? Only time will tell but the men still standing are prasied as heros while ale is drunk by all in the city.

The captured orcs are ransomed. Sauron refuses the ransom stating they are a disgrace to the land of Mordor.

Cair Andros is about to fall to the men of the west but what is the lurking to the North

Boromirs eastern march continues...

posted 05-03-11 12:24 PM EDT (US)     9 / 65  
Looks like an interesting mod, I'll have to put it on my list of stuff to try out.
posted 05-03-11 05:40 PM EDT (US)     10 / 65  
eh its pretty fun but i attempted to get the next update going a few days ago but half way through cair andros was assulted and i had to quit the battle because of a glitch in which the orc forces would not continue their attack and get frozen etheir outside the walls or on them. I also didnt have the strength to beat them back etheir(glith happend after they destrtoyed all my guys on the walls) so I said what ever and quit the battle. So i kinda lost interrest and never uploaded the update as I was also glitched during a couple other battles i fought against harad. I might redownload all the patchs to see if it fixes this stuff but that might delete my file.

posted 05-13-11 10:50 AM EDT (US)     11 / 65  
Here we go Ive got an update for anyone who reads this

Ill start this off with some epic pictures.

And for anyone wondering what the one ring does heres a picture.

This is me(bottom) Harad(middle) and mordor(top) compared in military overview scroll.

Cair Sndros has sallied and I get to make use of these guys the axemen of luachbonch or somthing along the lines of that.

theres the name

The city is taken and I get THREE units of fountain guard

Two head to Cair Andros while the other one heads to West Osgiliath.

I guess I will have to do this one seeing as military units are good.

Boromir gets closer and closer to reclaiming Linhir from the Haradians

This army is spotted just outside of Pelagir

Yep knew it would be to good to last

Yep more bad news

But east Osgiliath is almost unguarded :O to bad i cant attack it

And heres Moooorrrrrrddddoooorrrrr

Today is the day my axemen show their worth.

The gate is destroyed...BUT what stands behind the gate you may ask...

Fountain Guards dun dun dunnnnn

The other unit of axemen are locked in heavy fighting with the Orcs.

Even still the Vast horde of Orcs slowly wears down the guards and pushes them back.

More reinforcements are called forth.

The axemen have held thank the lords.

As have the men at the gates.

A quick sally led by militia men

So few Remain of the gaurds that combined they do not number as many as a single units before battle.

woot woot.

Only an extra thousand but it will help settle my financial position.

Brormir arrives within walking distance.

But what is this Pelagir is abandoed the defense f the white city is all that matters now.

Its been 20 turns so ill show off the detail in this game

eh this one didnt turn out to well.

the falls of raus

And here is Isenguard they are going to destroy Roham I know it .

Thats it for now thanks for reading

posted 05-13-11 11:18 AM EDT (US)     12 / 65  
Thats it for now thanks for reading
You're welcome

One let down for me were the siege battles. They are exactly the same as normal Medieval 2 (Maybe with a few tweaks here and there) but I was dissapointed. And Minas Tirith was also just a normal City, you'd think they would at least make the main ones look a bit like the film...
posted 05-13-11 01:02 PM EDT (US)     13 / 65  
Yea I was thinking the same thing the first time i fought in Osgiliath thinking it should be all destroyed and that the river should be right there and you could see East osgiliath in the distance. Also Edoras doesent have its signature hill or anything. Another thing that annoys me is how uber powerful archers and cavalry are in this game.

posted 05-13-11 05:25 PM EDT (US)     14 / 65  
I noticed the OP archers. Also the orcs are really weak, which I Guess is tradition and everything, and numerous, even though there's no reason thye should be crap.
posted 05-13-11 09:14 PM EDT (US)     15 / 65  
Yea But after this I'm etheir going to attempt to write a story or go for an orcs of the misty mountain campaign to show off the uberness of 4000 orcs attacks like 500 elves . I also like how weak the orcs are atleast early game because you can still hold the line against them but there are so many its still a challenge.

posted 05-15-11 02:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 65  
After reading this I wanted to play Third Age again So I started a new campaign with Gondor and it's quite good. It's annoying having to rearange all my troops because in the middle ones I do not need them while in others I do desperately.
posted 05-15-11 06:14 PM EDT (US)     17 / 65  

On a bad side though ive tried all that I can but I can not seem to get fraps to work for my next update. No matter what I have tried I cant take pictures with fraps and I dont know where any screen shots I have taken go.

posted 05-17-11 11:58 AM EDT (US)     18 / 65  
Well, I'm interested and reading this; so keep it up, please.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
posted 05-17-11 12:49 PM EDT (US)     19 / 65  
Click on the Fraps Icon and then set it up. I made a directory off of my C:drive called Screenshots, and had Fraps put them there. Then I set the control key to be 'Print Screen'

Works like a charm.

Then I use Irfanview to make the bitmaps into JPEGS, size them and post.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
posted 05-17-11 03:32 PM EDT (US)     20 / 65  
Well Terikel I got the full version of fraps from a friend(for free yea I know its stealing but it helps out) So i made a folder called story pics and told fraps to put my pictures in there. I also selected JPEG(im pretty sure that the free version doesent have that option) so all i have to do after I take the pictures is upload them. So thats what ive done for the lets play so far. Now though Fraps isnt even showing up when I play even if I still have it open when I play and ive tried everything. From when i played my last update to when i tried to take pictures last i hadnt changed anything in fraps so idk.

posted 05-18-11 01:41 AM EDT (US)     21 / 65  
I am very sorry, my friend. Check your email.
I got the full version of fraps from a friend(for free yea I know its stealing but it helps out)
Pirated Materials, Cracks, Multiplayer Hacks, Keys, and Key-Generators

“Piracy” is the illegal copying and/or distribution of copyrighted content including, but not limited to, games, software, music, movies, pictures, ROMs, abandon-ware, and leaked software. “Cracks” are programs that disable copy-protection technology; “Multiplayer Hacks” are any programs, patches, files, modifications or information exposure cheats that allow a player to gain an unfair advantage over other human opponents in a multiplayer game; a “Key” is a combination of numbers and letters that is required for software installation and sometimes used to validate users for online play; and “Key-Generators” are programs that generate valid Keys.

You may not encourage, post in support of, link to, or discuss activities, methods, and/or techniques involving piracy, cracks, multiplayer hacks, keys and key-generators. In addition, the following are grounds for moderator action on your post and/or account:

* Seeking help to create cracks, multiplayer hacks and key-generators
* Seeking missing files that are supplied with installation CD(s)
* Admitting to possess pirated materials, cracks, multiplayer hacks and key-generators
* Admitting to distribute pirated materials, cracks, multiplayer hacks, keys and key-generators
* Admitting to the use of cracks, multiplayer hacks and key-generators
* Uploading any such files to HeavenGames sites

Generally breaking this rule will result in an instant permanent ban.
You give me no choice.

On the bright side, you can play for several months and perfect your AAR so that you can post again once the FMT approves your parole.

posted 05-18-11 08:54 AM EDT (US)     22 / 65  
Aw, wow, that sucks. I hope you're still interested in continuing this in a couple of months. Does no one actually read the CoC when they register?

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
posted 05-18-11 11:04 AM EDT (US)     23 / 65  
That is really annoying. The only other person I know that plays Third Age and he gets banned. Sorry man.
posted 05-18-11 12:05 PM EDT (US)     24 / 65  
He was a decent forummer, so he should have a better than average chance at parole. He needs only wait a couple of months then apply for reinstatement.

I, for one, will not object to his return when contacted by the Powers that Be.

posted 05-18-11 04:42 PM EDT (US)     25 / 65  
He was a decent forummer
Agreed.

@Bretty, if you see this, email me. You can find it in my profile if you want.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Men of the White Tree a Gondorian Defensive AAR
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: