You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

ETW Guides and Articles Forum
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: Deployment phase - The first step to victory
posted 01-16-10 04:18 AM EDT (US)   
Generals never had the luxury of deciding how their army was deployed before battles during the 18th century. Mixed reports from scouts often confused the command staff of what they were up against, therefore, they either made stupid deployment decisions, or dicey/risky decisions that saw them the victory they wanted.

Part 1:First task, surveying the battlefield

Every battle is different. Regardless if you're using the same army every time, your opponents and the landscapes changes. Not to mention, the account for weather. The most common mistake people make when deploying is rushing themselves to finish deploying.

A rookie mistake I must say. I take my time. I survey the battlefield, thoroughly. I group my units based on a number of things:

Regimental Size
Number of regiments per unit type
Army size
Type of strategy I'm using

It is very important, and vital to the success of the battle, that you plan out every move. Not in extensive detail, but you should have the general scheme of things pre-planned in your head. Remember, the victory lays in the details. Therefore, let the details work themselves out, just go along with your general plan and you will see soon that the details will make you the victory.

Part 2: Planning the flanks & formation

Flanks should be almost as equal in strength as your center. Cavalry should never be to one side of your army unless you are planning to charge in late game. Your flank should never be over extended, meaning, your first line shouldn't stretch half way across the map. Generally speaking, the main army setup should consist of skirmishers (light infantry) in loose formation in advance of your main. Cavalry behind and on the flanks, artillery on the flanks or far in the back, heavy infantry in the center, and lighter line infantry on the flanks.

Reserves are a very important concept that I will speak highly of. I almost always have at LEAST 3 lines of reserves. My setups usually run deep and thick, harder for charges by both cavalry & infantry to penetrate. It requires a very heavy & hard amount of penetration to achieve success. And that sounded very sexual, I apologize. It's better to not over extend yourself, and to focus on firepower and manpower to a specific area. Overextending your flanks makes it very easy for your opponent to over run you.

Part 3: Retaining formation consistency

Formations must look grand, they have to look intimidating, and deadly. You can only do this in one way. Having your formations be neat, organized and practical. Your rows of infantry should run parallel to each other, unless your formations contain cascading lines. Artillery batteries should be spaced apart, but should also run in a line next to one another.

Having a sense of trickery in game will do wonders. Making your army appear stronger or weaker in some parts can be used to your advantage. Such as, hiding units in a forest, leaving only a few exposed, this will look "easy" for your opponent, but for you it is a simple trap. Tactics like these, should be put into place during the deployment phase.

Part 4: Using cover.

A simple point I'd like to make about cover. Used in a number of different ways, a most common use for cover is keeping your movement relatively concealed. Your opponent will see flags moving, but while you are moving troops behind a hill, they wont know if you're moving reserves over or if you're moving artillery.

Cover can be mans best friend on the battlefield if used properly. Hills, rocks, rivers, buildings, all can be played to your advantage. Most notably forests can be used to conceal light infantry, or to hide cavalry behind. People usually neglect these simple obstacles, and lose battles. I exploit these obstacles, and win battles.

Part 5: How your deployment effects your strategy

Your strategy should be based off of your deployment. Say you want to play a defensive battle, because you are out numbered. If you have battery emplacements on top of a hill, it's best to deploy troops around these emplacements. Using everything at your disposal, your idea is to lower the numbers of your opponents army before you engage.

Simple strategies such as these should be planned out in your deployment phase. If you are playing an offensive and aggressive strategy, having your artillery limbered and ready to go, cavalry on the flanks, and infantry in thin lines would be the right idea for a proper deployment setup. Having your deployment flawlessly planned out to the detail allows for you to focus more on your strategy, and hopefully gives you the advantage.

This is guide #4 written by yours truly. I hope you enjoyed the read.

-Daelon

[This message has been edited by Daelon (edited 01-21-2010 @ 02:46 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-16-10 04:33 PM EDT (US)     1 / 3  
This guide is ready for submission.
posted 01-21-10 02:30 AM EDT (US)     2 / 3  
Generals never had the luxury of decided how their arm
Should be deciding, and I'd add century at the end of the same sentence.
your opponent and the landscape changes.
Your opponent and the landscape is plural, so it should be change.
I group my units based off a number of things:
Not sure about this one, but I think it should be based on.
Not large in detail, but the general scheme of things you should have pre-planned in your head.
I'd reword this to: Not in extensive detail, but you should have the general scheme of things pre-planned in your head. The sentence flows a bit better that way.
Remembers, the victory lays in the details.
Remember remember is without an s at the end.
Generally speaking, the generic army setup should consist of skirmishers (light infantry) in loose formation in advance of your main.
I'd remove generic as it means more or less the same as generally and I'd change main into main force.
harder for charges both cavalry & infantry to penetrate.
"charges by both cavalry & infantry".
and to focus firepower and manpower to a specific area
It's to focus on, not to focus to.
Over extended your flanks makes it very easy for your opponent to over run you.
This should be Overextending.
Much trickery can be played in your formation. A simple sense of how to trick your opponent based off of your formation (assuming restricted camera is in use). Large lines, deep infantry with lots of reserves, cavalry in the back field, and batteries placed can look nasty to a nervous or ill-confident opponent.
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Could you try to reword it?
I use exploit these obstacles, and win battles.
Either use or exploit, not both.
Your strategy should be based off of your deployment or visa-versa
based off is enough, no need to say it twice. Also visa-versa should be spelled vice-versa.
If you have battery emplacements up top of a hill
It's on top of a hill.
these, should
No need for a comma there.
and hopefully giving you the advantage.
Giving should be gives.

Hussarknight
posted 01-21-10 02:46 AM EDT (US)     3 / 3  
Corrections fixed.
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » ETW Guides and Articles Forum » Deployment phase - The first step to victory
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: